Scared That Bills Take Ponder With First Pick

box0life

Actually I had ponder being our first pick in the second round (Number 33?) and us going with a defensive lineman in the first round. Assuming we go with the first pick and don't trade down, I would hope a stud defensive end, defensive tackle or even a potential franchise linebacker comes to the top by the end of the season. I could see us trading down to the low teens and getting another second round choice and doing quite well...but then that is only one possibility. I'm big on Ponder to this point and would love to see us get him in the second round.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I like Ponder, and think he could be a real steal if drafted in the late first or early second. But I don't want to see the Bills use a top-5 pick on him. I also have to admit Fitzpatrick is playing much better football than I thought he could. I'm not saying he's necessarily the long-term answer at QB, but I'm not as quick to rule out the possibility as I'd been a few weeks ago.

If Ponder was to fall to the Bills in the second round, they could always snap him up there. If Fitzpatrick is the answer, Ponder could become their backup--their Frank Reich. If Fitzpatrick fails to become the answer, Ponder might become the next Drew Brees. That is, a quarterback taken in the early second round, primarily for his skill as a pocket passer, who goes on to have a good career. By no means am I promising that Ponder will have a Brees-like career. It's a distinct possibility, not a certainty.

The other option would be to pass up Ponder even in the second round, and to use that pick on a RT or on the defensive front seven. That option would make the most sense if the Bills liked Fitzpatrick as a starter and Brohm as a backup; or if they felt they could get a better football player than Ponder with that second round pick. There's also the distinct, strong possibility Ponder will be taken in the first round. Which is probably where he belongs.

Good post. I'd be perfectly fine with the Bills taking ponder, but preferrably in the mid to late 20s or early round 2. (Depends on where he's graded) If we go QB at the top of round 1, i'd take Luck or Mallett.

What would you do if the Bills took Christian Ponder with the first pick in the draft and they didn't take Andrew Luck?

If this happens and it is a real possibility, this reach pick would probably put me over the edge. Ponder just doesn't do anything for me. I wouldn't take him unless it was the third or fourth round and we were desperate at QB. But given Modrak and companies track record, I'm already scared to death that they are even considering him. There are several statements that say Nix likes Luck and Ponder at QB and Bills scouts are going to see him this week. I hope he flops so we don't consider him in the future.

We must take Luck if he is available, if not we go with the best DE, DT, LB or OT available. Case closed.

Source? I won't hold my breath.

Personally, I'll let the coaches decide who to go with. They chose to overlook the "must have's" this year, and apparently they were mostly correct. I'll let Chan decide who we need and who we should overlook.

AMEN !!!!!!!

Take Ponder, but not even close to the first round (look for third or fourth round). I have to problem if he's a value pick late in the draft, but actually I don't see the Bills messing with a QB this year in the draft. They have too many holes on the team to venture there.

I like spiller, a lot, but we made a mistake by not addressing both sides of the lines. Thank God Cornell Green is not playing. He should be a revolving door at Macy's. The Offensive line looks to be able to rebound within the next year, and could be stout next year with Wang coming back. They also have been improving. The Defensive line is okay, but we have to come to reality. They are old! Stroud (I love the dude), he needs a guy to back him up and possible be he's replacement. So we could draft a DE for the 3-4 like Marcell Dareus, or we could go linebacker. I like the fact we learned our lesson about Maybin, so now we can go out and pick up linebackers in the Draft. We need like three! If we are smart most of our draft picks will be Defense and on the line and line backers. NO MORE DB's please!

We need to forget about a Quarterback. Lets build a solid run team, and solid defense, and a solid special teams and then go for our guy. Now if we draft a quarterback a suggest letting him sit a year or two, and bring him a long slowly instead of throwing him in the fire.

The Bills may very well pick Ponder (I actually think he could be a decent QB in the NFL) but there is absolutely no reason to take him in the first round. Assuming the Juniors don't come out early, there aren't too many great QB's in the senior class. I personally hope that the Bills take a DE or OLB with the first pick and get the pass rush going. The defense is clearly a much bigger problem on this team. I just hope they don't take Locker. That guy is a loser. My problem with Luck is that his name is luck which I can't help but see the headlines "unlucky Luck" when he doesn't play well in the NFL. We just cut Stanford's last great QB prospect. Isn't that enough? Let's get a QB that plays in a truly dominant college program.

Good post. I'd be perfectly fine with the Bills taking ponder, but preferrably in the mid to late 20s or early round 2. (Depends on where he's graded) If we go QB at the top of round 1, i'd take Luck or Mallett.

Thanks!

We're on the same page with respect to Ponder and Luck. But I'm not really a big fan of Mallett.

But right now, the quarterback I'm most interested in is Ryan Fitzpatrick. I'm still digesting what he did to the Ravens' defense! I can't think of a single thing that a franchise quarterback would have done in that game that Fitzpatrick didn't do. Not one. If that continues, the Bills will be able to ignore the QB position in the upcoming draft, and can take a defensive front seven player with their first pick.

Right cause they are on the edge of their seats waiting to find out what the Fans want...then they make their move... :lol:

Not totally sure what you mean, but I'm sure it is due to my own mental shortcoming. :)

Imo, Ralph is going to place emphasis on making money and will draft a QB come hell or high water in order to sell tickets. Not to slight Fitz, but I think that this time it will be the right move, even if for the wrong reason.

In other words, I am not making the case that Bills management cares what player we think is best, nor should they. I do however believe that Mr. Wilson is going to do what he feels he needs to do in order to increase his profits. Sending Nix to scout QBs is evidence of this imro.

Don't forget Nix had his hand in the selection of Phillip Rivers, and he emphasized that they loved Rivers because he did it for 4 years.....competed in 4 bowl games, and was the player of the game in all of his bowl games. I definitely think the Bills will be looking for players that have been very productive college players for 3+ years with their high pick.

you know the didnt draft rivers right?

they drafted eli manning and he refused to play for SAN so they worked out a convoluted trade/swap of rivers/manning with the Giants.....

just sayin...

I've been watching Ponder all year (well until the last game) and I think he would be a good choice, but not in the first round. He can run, makes good decisions, and has a pretty good arm. He also has the height to play in the NFL. He would be a good choice if the Bills decide to fix the big problem in the first round (defense or LT). If Luck doesn't come out, trade that pick if there are no Bruce Smith's out there.

BTW the Seminoles were overachieving this year. They are in huge transition with head coach and defense. Ponder has literally carried them all season. He can't play defense, so they have outshoot people.

I've been watching Ponder all year (well until the last game) and I think he would be a good choice, but not in the first round. He can run, makes good decisions, and has a pretty good arm. He also has the height to play in the NFL. He would be a good choice if the Bills decide to fix the big problem in the first round (defense or LT). If Luck doesn't come out, trade that pick if there are no Bruce Smith's out there.

BTW the Seminoles were overachieving this year. They are in huge transition with head coach and defense. Ponder has literally carried them all season. He can't play defense, so they have outshoot people.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Ponder has played well this year, but the running game and improved defense are carrying the 'noles in 2010. Last year in 2009, the offense carried the team, but not this season.

If Fitz keeps playing the way his has over the next 10 games I don't think we will need to draft a QB. But that is a big if so I would also like to see how these college QB's play over the rest of the college season as well. If Fitz finishes the year with 20 TD's 10 INT's and over 3200 yards and maintains close to his 63.3% completion rating I think we have a QB that is relatively young (27 years old) that we can build around.

But if Fitz just plays admirably say 2700 yards 17-18 TD's 13 INT's and dips below 60% completion percentage or hovers just above 60% completion then I say we draft a QB 1st then the D second.

Either way Fitz keeps the reigns for the next 10 games and let it rip. If it turns out that Fitz shines over then next 10 I say we go LT then draft up the D with the 2nd 3rd and 2 4th rounders. We still need some O-line help.

Sweet baby Jesus..Ponder won't even make it into the 1st round, never mind being taken with the top pick in the draft. Mallett isn't even a top 5 talent right now so he won't be taken with the #1 pick. I don't see Nix reaching for a QB just for the sake of getting a QB. If Luck does not declare, then I think we go defense with our 1st round pick and possibly look at the QB position in the later rounds. Relax people.