The Myth of Lee Evans

1B4IDie

One career game and there's talk of a contract extension for a guy whose deal doesn't expire for another year plus. Wow.

In all fairness he shredded a piss poor defense with their backup safeties on a team with two wins.

Why should he get a contract extension. Lets franchise him too. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

IF he has a monster game this week against a good D then we can start talking.

Its kind of hilarious that after we beat two awful teams this board blows up with threads like "No need to draft a QB" or "we are set at WR".

The Bills have looked better against two bad teams, but cant we at least wait until they beat a team that doesnt blow??

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAN I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF WHAT I AM READING !! You guys have been watching bad play for so long when an almost clear cut #1 comes along you still stick with the guy that was anointed back when Losman was QB .

Lee Evans is a good receiver but let's see what is happening right before your eyes . While the Carolina Panthers haven't been all that good Steve Smith has always been consistent NOT LEE !!

The great ones despite bad times always find ways to get open and at least show up that's always been my thing with Lee , yah he has always been #1 here because he was as good as we had now that Stevie is here you all need to open your eyes !!

But of coarse with a culture change on the team the hardest part is changing the culture of the fans & seeing as a lot of you still complain about the positives unfortunately a lot of these posts really don't surprise me .

WAKE UP BILLS FANS !!!!!

1. Let's see what happens when defenses adapt by double teaming Johnson with Evans in single coverage before making a judgement.

2. Johnson has chemistry with Fitz, how good is Johnson with another QB? Find that out before extending him unless we stay with Fitz as QB.

Yes, I can, and will. If Lee Evans entire career was consistent with the games he's played w/ Trent Edwards under center you'd have a good point, but when Bledsoe was there he produced, when Losman was there he produced, with Fitz in there now he is producing.

I'm not sure I would call 497 yards and 4TD over 10 games "producing" Certainly if he was making $388k this season you wouldn't complain much. But Lee Evans production vs cost is an absolute albatross to the Buffalo Bills right now.

Just face it. Lee Evans never has been and never will be a dynamic playmaker. So stop pretending he is.

Also, Lee Evans produced MORE with Trent every year except last year (undoubtedly due to TO) than he did in the single season he played with Bledsoe, so basically you are making up garbage to support your garbage opinion.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

This entire discussion reminds me of the one when Moulds and Price were doing so well together. The feeling was that Price was a legitimate #1 receiver, a notion that was disproven much to the chagrin of the Falcons.

We should see how the overall offense is performing, how the ball is being spread around and be content that we are doing the right things. We need Evans and Johnson together continue the success through the air.

BINGO !!!!

The typical overreacting fan is always to over-value new and disgard the value of the establish vet. Couldn't have explained it any better. WELL SAID !!!

I reallly like this offense and how Gailey uses his guys.

I always liked Stevie because I thought the guy was clutch when everytime he stepped on the field something positive happened. Of course it was a long shot but it seems the guy really wants to be good and he works hard at his craft.

Lee Evans can be one dimensional but boy is he good at what he does, the first thing a DC does is put a guy on top of Lee so he doesn't beat them deep. The fastest way to lose a game against the Bills is leaving Lee one on one with a CB. If that becomes a commong occurence, he would lead the league in TDs and plays over 40+ consistently every year.

Every time Fitz sees Lee without a safety that doesn't cheat to his side he audibles to go to him.

I always liked Stevie because I thought the guy was clutch when everytime he stepped on the field something positive happened. Of course it was a long shot but it seems the guy really wants to be good and he works hard at his craft.

Lee Evans can be one dimensional but boy is he good at what he does, the first thing a DC does is put a guy on top of Lee so he doesn't beat them deep. The fastest way to lose a game against the Bills is leaving Lee one on one with a CB. If that becomes a commong occurence, he would lead the league in TDs and plays over 40+ consistently every year.

Every time Fitz sees Lee without a safety that doesn't cheat to his side he audibles to go to him.

Very clear and accurate response. I thought this was more obvious to fans that in actually turns out to be.

MAN I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF WHAT I AM READING !! You guys have been watching bad play for so long when an almost clear cut #1 comes along you still stick with the guy that was anointed back when Losman was QB .

Lee Evans is a good receiver but let's see what is happening right before your eyes . While the Carolina Panthers haven't been all that good Steve Smith has always been consistent NOT LEE !!

You cant believe what you are reading? How about you cant believe what you are typing because it isnt true...this made up statement about how much better Smith is compared to Lee one of the most inaccurate statements most commonly thrown around on here as if its truth.

The great Steve Smith isnt very good when his QB's arent very good. Look at his stat line this year:

Week 1 - 5 rec, 75 yds, 1 TD

Week 2 - 3 rec, 66 yds, 1 TD

Week 3 - 3 rec, 22 yds, 0 TD

Week 4 - 2 rec, 11 yds, 0 TD

Week 5 - DNP

Week 6 - Bye

Week 7 - 4 rec, 50 yds 0 TD, 2 fumbles

Week 8 - 9 rec, 85 yds, 0 TD, 1 fumble

Week 9 - 1 rec, 9 yds, 0 TD

Week 10 - 3 rec, 47 yds, 0 TD

Week 11 - 4 rec, 46 yds, 0 TD

Or what about 2009 when Delhomme had a dreadful year and Smiths totals were 65 rec, 982 yds, and 7 TD's...look familiar?

So did S. Smith suddenly become untalented this year? What about last year? Or how about 2007 when Delhomme got knocked out for the season after week 2? Smith had 271 yards, and 4 TD's in those 2 games with Delhomme which was 27% of his years total. He went on to be irrelevant the remainder of the year catching passes from D. Carr.

Truth is their careers really mirror each other. They both struggle and disappear when the QB play is subpar, difference is Smith has dealt with less terrible QB play...

Rec Per Game Avg: Smith - 4.68 Lee - 3.52

Yards Per Game Avg: Smith - 67.24 Lee - 55.22

Yards Per Rec Avg: Smith - 14.4 Lee - 15.7

Touchdowns Per Game AvG: Smith - .40 Lee - .41

So, for all the talk about how much better Steve is over Lee, he only averages one more catch per game, 12 more yards, less yards per catch, and slightly less TD per game avg. And Steve has been on way more talented teams, had a true #2 WR through large parts of his career, and has much better QB play in large parts of his career...

This is a much less flamey way to represent the OP's opinion.

Except for the "everytime' Because its more like some of the time.

Safety help does not equal a double team.

Lee Evans is a good one dimensional player.

He is one of the best in the NFL at a fly route.

He is only OK and everything.

Double covered does not generally mean a Safety over the top, they're different.

So the Myth that Lee Evans is doubled on every play, is a myth.

He is a good WR, and is a deep ball threat.(period)

He is not double teamed in the sense that a nickel or LB is in coverage to help the CB, or a zone-man coverage where you have a guy glued to Lee Evans and run a zone over top the man to make sure that Lee is never one on one with CB. I would consider this a double team.

Lee Evans is in Single Coverage with Safety deep, on 85% or greater percentage of the Bills offensive plays.

Safety help, is traditionally what a safety's job is. Its called Safety because traditionally and commonly they're there as a Safety net for the defense to make sure plays don't go long.

Maybe a quick google will help everyone understand that a safety helping is not a double team:

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_freesafety.htm

This is a much less flamey way to represent the OP's opinion.

Except for the "everytime' Because its more like some of the time.

Safety help does not equal a double team.

Lee Evans is a good one dimensional player.

He is one of the best in the NFL at a fly route.

He is only OK and everything.

Double covered does not generally mean a Safety over the top, they're different.

So the Myth that Lee Evans is doubled on every play, is a myth.

He is a good WR, and is a deep ball threat.(period)

He is not double teamed in the sense that a nickel or LB is in coverage to help the CB, or a zone-man coverage where you have a guy glued to Lee Evans and run a zone over top the man to make sure that Lee is never one on one with CB. I would consider this a double team.

Lee Evans is in Single Coverage with Safety deep, on 85% or greater percentage of the Bills offensive plays.

Safety help, is traditionally what a safety's job is. Its called Safety because traditionally and commonly they're there as a Safety net for the defense to make sure plays don't go long.

Maybe a quick google will help everyone understand that a safety helping is not a double team:

http://football.abou..._freesafety.htm

It does, however explain that if the safety responsibility were reversed, and he chose to help with Steve Johnson instead of Lee Evans, Stevie would still be a no name and Lee Evans would be running wild in opposing teams secondaries.

It does, however explain that if the safety responsibility were reversed, and he chose to help with Steve Johnson instead of Lee Evans, Stevie would still be a no name and Lee Evans would be running wild in opposing teams secondaries.

On a rational basis you cannot make that statement until there is empirical proof that supports your thesis.

Lee Evans might be overrated, he is too small and limited in the number of patterns that he can effectively run, but he is still not a #2 receiver to Stevie johnson!!!

I disagree, time will tell.

Edited by Magox

Great post!

Why do we have to hate on our players...are we that jaded and gunshy? I root for the Bills

(all of them--you dog one of us, you dog all of us ) and right now I'm happy with the progress I'm seeing.

These guys are playing their guts out right now as a Team...shouldn't we have their backs as their fans?

But no, we have to hate Lee or tear Stevie down just as he's coming into his own, refuse to admit when

Whitner or Kelsey plays well...try to run guys out of town before they've had a chance to prove themselves.

I like both Lee and Stevie and our WR position is all of a sudden looking like a position of strength

(w/David, Donald, and Roscoe and Easley back next year). The more weapons, the more DCs have to worry about,

the better for the whole team. Who cares who is getting the actual stats...it's working. And besides, the way Fitz

is playing, everyone is going to get in on the action. Teams do have to worry about Stevie now, which will open

things for Lee and David and Donald. This is a good thing guys.

Anyone still believe that teams are constantly doubling Lee Evans?

Steve Johnson 41 554 13.5

Roscoe Parrish 33 400 12.1

Lee Evans 29 373 12.9

David Nelson 17 189 11.1

well let me see Chan's post game went something like this

"lee had the corner and the safety go with him....."

so yes he's still being doubled

Edited by CardinalScotts