Maybin question

Ok one question if anybody knows. Was he inactive because of injury or just because he sucks. I know he was playing infront of his hometown. If it's not because of injury I think it sends a clear message to him that they are not happy with his production

I think it was to teach him a lesson. Just because you were the 11th overall pick in the draft, doesn't mean you're guaranteed to play on this team. Even if it's in your hometown of Baltimore with your family watching. You need to dedicate yourself to this team and being a great player, and not the fame and fortune that come along with being a pro athlete.

The only thing the Bills are on the hook for is the $20MM they flushed down the toilet when they gave it to him.

I admit that this was poorly-spent money. But I don't understand why so many fans blame Maybin. What was he supposed to do, say, "Thanks for the offer, Mr. Wilson, but your scouts were way off and there's no way I'm worth this much." ??

I admit that this was poorly-spent money. But I don't understand why so many fans blame Maybin. What was he supposed to do, say, "Thanks for the offer, Mr. Wilson, but your scouts were way off and there's no way I'm worth this much." ??

No instead he said "I am so great that I am going to hold out of training camp until you give me more money."

You are exactly correct and this is why IMO there should be a rookie pay scale. I don't begrudge these guys getting big money but let them earn it through the process of making the roster then playing time then production. It is absurd that this guy is likely to walk away with $20MM and not played any meaningful football in the NFL. Even Mike Williams who was the Bills poster boy for draft bust saw action on the field. It is highly likely that Maybin will go bust without ever having earned a start in the NFL. It is even more of a crime that he can't contribute on ST's.

I hear you, at the same time I wish he was showing progress as a pass-rushing linebacker. Orakpo was clearly the superior pick.

I don't know how many times we can complain about the front office. Just on defense draft Orakpo instead of Maybin, and Ngata instead of Whitner. Resign your good players: Pat Williams, Fletcher, even Spikes and Jim Leonhard, Greer and Winfield, imagine what the defense could be.

You are exactly correct and this is why IMO there should be a rookie pay scale. I don't begrudge these guys getting big money but let them earn it through the process of making the roster then playing time then production. It is absurd that this guy is likely to walk away with $20MM and not played any meaningful football in the NFL. Even Mike Williams who was the Bills poster boy for draft bust saw action on the field. It is highly likely that Maybin will go bust without ever having earned a start in the NFL. It is even more of a crime that he can't contribute on ST's.

Watching Moats yesterday, a 6th round pick, and seeing how much better he was is pretty embarassing for the former #11 pick in the draft IMO. Maybin should watch the tape of Moats. Even if he was initially blocked he kept fighting towards the QB, not going down the field in a straight line, away from the QB. Of course there are many factors to this, like the fact that Moats is older, more experienced, stronger, and likely much smarter, but the point still remains.

I don't blame Maybin for where he was drafted, I blame the Bills for drafting him when he was unproven even in college. I blame the front office for the Maybin pick when Orakpo was still there for us to pick. Maybin didn't show much in college and nor does he in the pros. Total garbage pick and he's robbing the Bills of several millions of dollars. I won't be shocked if they cut ties with him before the season.

however......

if I'm the Bills front office and make a phone to Bruce Smith to see if he can help the kid out! I still think there is time for improvement, but....man he's gotta lot of work to do.

does anyone see any potential for Maybin whatsoever? Right now I doubt he makes the team next year. What a colossal waste of a draft pick and huge opportunity cost

With his athleticism I see potential. You cannot possess those attributes that Maybin has and not have potential. My concern is that many sources have said it was like playing with a rookie who was not used to the game every snap. There is information on his confidence, as well. Aaron Maybin is not done in the NFL.

I just heard Bulldog say on WGR that the reason the he thinks that Maybin didn't dress is because "he straight up sucks". It actually made me laugh. He also made the point that Maybin may have excelled in college due to his freakish athleticism and that he in fact has no clue how to play the game. I would have to agree with that assessment. The guy can't even cover kicks on special teams.

With his athleticism I see potential. You cannot possess those attributes that Maybin has and not have potential. My concern is that many sources have said it was like playing with a rookie who was not used to the game every snap. There is information on his confidence, as well. Aaron Maybin is not done in the NFL.

Maybe he can play safety .... the ones we have sure can't. At Safety Mr. Maybe won't have to deal with offensive linemen ...

I think it was to teach him a lesson. Just because you were the 11th overall pick in the draft, doesn't mean you're guaranteed to play on this team. Even if it's in your hometown of Baltimore with your family watching. You need to dedicate yourself to this team and being a great player, and not the fame and fortune that come along with being a pro athlete.

How many more humbling lessons does he need? I think he got it a long time ago. He just sucks.

They'd be on the hook for the guaranteed portion, which according to rotoworld:

8/21/2009: Signed a five-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed. Another $7.4 million is available through incentives based on playing time and sacks. 2010: $395,000, 2011: $757,500, 2012: $1.12 million, 2013: $1.4825 million, 2014: $1.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5177

How many more humbling lessons does he need? I think he got it a long time ago. He just sucks.

I agree, this was a move because he is not good enough to get on the field and contribute. Even on special teams.

Ok one question if anybody knows. Was he inactive because of injury or just because he sucks. I know he was playing infront of his hometown. If it's not because of injury I think it sends a clear message to him that they are not happy with his production

I'm sorry, but this made me shoot powerade out my nose. A former high first round pick who can't even find the field should realize that his team is unhappy with his production.

A former high first round pick who has no production (virtually) on which to hang his hat is probably laughing every time he cashes a game check.

I thought Maybin was bragging on his myspace page that he was putting on 10#s muscles a week and some of the lemmings were lapping it up. Does Maybin care more about his myspace page or football? It seems obvious to me the answer

They'd be on the hook for the guaranteed portion, which according to rotoworld:

8/21/2009: Signed a five-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed. Another $7.4 million is available through incentives based on playing time and sacks. 2010: $395,000, 2011: $757,500, 2012: $1.12 million, 2013: $1.4825 million, 2014: $1.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5177

I agree, this was a move because he is not good enough to get on the field and contribute. Even on special teams.

I don't have his stats in front of me but that works out to..... About 2 million per tackle?