Never felt so good about a loss

nodnarb

•  
  • Fitz is a gamer. Not Manning, but a good QB who will be the perfect guy to school a developing QB. Smart, gutsy, understands situations. Unlike any QB we've had in a long, long time. Just wish that Trent hadn't been so good in practice to distract the coaches from the obvious choice for gameday. Might have won those first two games when our defense was showing up.
  • We have a #2 receiver, it just took a while for him to emerge.
  • Anyone notice how well our OLine blocked the freaking Ravens? Cord Howard looked better than anyone we've had at RT since Butler's second season. Bell did a fine job, too.
  • Best playcalling I've seen from the Bills in a long, long time. And they kept delivering despite playing such a dominant D. I think Chan's gonna give us consistent production.

The bad:

• Fu%$ing refs. If forward progress doesn't happen when the defenders pick you up and drive you backwards, then there's no such thing as forward progress.
  • Maybin was a healthy scratch today, which tells me that that Jauron selection will be traded for a ham sandwich this offseason. We can always pretend he was injured or something.
  • Where the hell is Byrd? I haven't seen him make a play all season. Makes me wonder if it's scheme-related, cuz I'm not going to question his ability. I will, however, question Whitner's. Talk about hands of stone - he had the game in his hands. Man I can't stand guys with big mouths who play small.
  • Hold on to the fu%$ing ball.

Edited by nodnarb

Fitz would be a great QB IF he were more consistent with his accuracy. It runs hot and cold.

PTR

He just pulled off 67% completions against Baltimore, with no garbage time/prevent defense... I always complained about his accuracy but he has seemed to be better over the last few games. Is it possible that the benefit of being the starter (more reps with the first team receivers to get in sync) pushes his accuracy into the "good" zone? He isn't a "great" QB but he may be approaching "good" QB status at this point. The long balls today looked very good overall.

Never felt so good about a loss?

That's exactly what the Bills biggest problem is. Like you, they accept losing... and even feel good about it.

When you have players that hate to lose they find ways to win. When you have players that are OK with losing, they have no reason (or will) to win. The game check is still the same.

That's exactly what the Bills biggest problem is. Like you, they accept losing... and even feel good about it.

When you have players that hate to lose they find ways to win. When you have players that are OK with losing, they have no reason (or will) to win. The game check is still the same.

I'm not exactly Mr. Sunshine, but when we go out there perform like we did against a serious superbowl contender, yeah, there is something to feel good about.

The Ugly:

George Edwards, a mediocre position coach masquerading as an inept DC...defense is NOT this bad, no defense in the NFL is, week in and week out. We are going to set an all time record for most 30+ point games allowed by a defense as long as he is our DC and might break the NFL record for points allowed.

I have to say, this is one of the best efforts with results game that the Bills, as a team, have played in some time.

Lindell makes the 50 yarder to send it to OT? Nice.

If Shawn Nelson was not such an idiot and kept both arms around the ball, we would probably have won the darn thing.

Great job, and this is a loss to build from.

•  
  • Fitz is a gamer. Not Manning, but a good QB who will be the perfect guy to school a developing QB. Smart, gutsy, understands situations. Unlike any QB we've had in a long, long time. Just wish that Trent hadn't been so good in practice to distract the coaches from the obvious choice for gameday. Might have won those first two games when our defense was showing up.
  • Anyone notice how well our OLine blocked the freaking Ravens? Cord Howard looked better than anyone we've had at RT since Butler's second season. Bell did a fine job, too.
  • Best playcalling I've seen from the Bills in a long, long time. And they kept delivering despite playing such a dominant D. I think Chan's gonna give us consistent production.

The bad:

• Fu%$ing refs. If forward progress doesn't happen when the defenders pick you up and drive you backwards, then there's no such thing as forward progress.
  • Maybin was a healthy scratch today, which tells me that that Jauron selection will be traded for a ham sandwich this offseason. We can always pretend he was injured or something.
  • Where the hell is Byrd? I haven't seen him make a play all season. Makes me wonder if it's scheme-related, cuz I'm not going to question his ability. I will, however, question Whitner's. Talk about hands of stone - he had the game in his hands. Man I can't stand guys with big mouths who play small.

Man Maybin must be really stinking up the joint in practice to be scratched. I new he was the wrong pick for us (Matthews, Orakpo,Cushing, anyone) but he is getting worse and worse.

I think the refs made the right call on the fumble but the interception in the end zone should have counted.

•  

The bad:

Iam becomeing a huge fan of Fitzpatrick I don't know if he is the future of the Bills but he sure has earned my respect. All the guy doese is he comes out and plays the best that he can and that is all anybody can ask of anybody.He does not have the talent that Kelly had but I think HE has the heart to win games like Kelly had.I still think that the Bills should DRAFT a QB in next years draft.

•  

The bad:

Add to te bad:

George Edwards defensive planning. We need pressure on the QB. Our DBs cannot cover forever. Byrd is invisable because they play him 30 yards deep.

Spiller's kick-off return with 56 seconds left in the first half. VERY STUPID to even run it out. That play cost us a touchdown and the momentum going into the 2nd half.

Edited by Bob in STL

I STILL want our first pick to be a QB. The biggest difference this year has been Chan Gailey. Without Chan's coaching and tutoring, Fitz wouldnt be what he is right now. If Chan can take an average QB like Fitz and turn him into what he is right now, just imagine what he can do with someone like Luck or Locker. Yes Fitz has been impressive, but I give 99% of the credit to Chan Gailey.

That's garbage. The Bills offense looked good today. And no one here or on the team is accepting losing.

I think its warranted because you get the feeling that the team is starting to show where we need the help at....

For instance....if we could stop the run today....we would have won.

I am STARTING to think that we need to go very heavy on defense in the draft.....and allow Fitz to groom a QB.....

That's what I was thinking. It sucks to lose this game. They played more than well enough on offense to get the win. But, there are definitely a lot of positive things to take from the game. it should be the type of game the players can look at and build off of. They showed a lot today.

I STILL want our first pick to be a QB. The biggest difference this year has been Chan Gailey. Without Chan's coaching and tutoring, Fitz wouldnt be what he is right now. If Chan can take an average QB like Fitz and turn him into what he is right now, just imagine what he can do with someone like Luck or Locker. Yes Fitz has been impressive, but I give 99% of the credit to Chan Gailey.

Thats crap and you know it. Fitz is a gamer and will only get better.

I have to say, this is one of the best efforts with results game that the Bills, as a team, have played in some time.

Lindell makes the 50 yarder to send it to OT? Nice.

If Shawn Nelson was not such an idiot and kept both arms around the ball, we would probably have won the darn thing.

If we build from losses, the Bills shoild have a Taj Mahal

I disagree with the above. If you talk with someone who has mastered something--truly mastered it on a deep level--that person will likely tell you that his or her focus is on constant improvement. The focus is on identifying and correcting weaknesses or flaws, and gradually learning to perform at an increasingly high level. Win or lose, the person will be focused on the things he or she did well, the mistakes that could have been corrected, and the overall plan for improvement.

The Bills--at least on offense--took a major step in that direction. We got good play from both OTs, which isn't something we would necessarily have anticipated a few weeks ago. Fitzpatrick is playing at a much higher level than he's played before. Steve Johnson looks like a real starting receiver. Fred Jackson had another very good game, but we as Bills fans almost take him for granted.

This team is still a ways away from being good. It needs a defensive coordinator, replacements at most defensive front seven positions, improvement at safety, and a little more talent on offense. But in a game no one expected the Bills to win, they played a lot better than expected. That's something to celebrate. As for the loss--it will improve their draft position. Given that Luck will probably stay in school, I would expect the Bills to use the pick on a defensive front seven player. If we add an elite difference maker at DL or LB with a top-5 pick, and if there's an overall infusion of talent, next year's team will be a lot better than this one. If there's no football next year, the Bills could experience two consecutive years of picking very early! With that kind of talent infusion, the team will start winning more games! More wins will mean that the culture of losing will gradually change. Especially because whichever players are most associated with that culture can be replaced in the next two drafts.

Fitz would be a great QB IF he were more consistent with his accuracy. It runs hot and cold.

PTR

I know they say you can't teach accuracy, but I think it could be fixed with a minor adjustment to his mechanics. It could just be me but it seems his balls tend to sail high when he tries to really gun it to a receiver. Did it look to anyone else that his arm was sort of dipping to a three quarter arm angle when he does that? It could be fixed with a more vertical arm angle.

•  

The bad:

The defense played well in the first game, against the Dolphins. The Packers embarrassed them the next week, and they have been bad from weeks 2 through 7. Give them some credit though, as bad as they were today, they did make some timely plays, and held the Ravens a few times.

As for Byrd, I am afraid that all those "naysayers" who said he was "in the right place at the right time" last year (as nearly every one of his record sitting int's came off a terribly overthrown pass) were right. He has been awful this year. He can't cover anyone, he doesn't tackle well...and always seems out of position to make a play. His biggest hit today was on Donte Whitner, during Todd Heaps first TD reception.

I was so pissed off about the Nelson fumble. I couldn't believe the whistle hadn't blown. After seeing the replay tonight though, it appears that Nelson was off the ground, and some of his teammates were pushing the pile forward, so, I guess, forward progress hadn't stopped. I do wonder, however, if he hadn't fumbled, if the refs would have taken yards away from him, because teammates are not supposed to be able to push the ball carrier forward. Nightmare of a play. I can't say I really blame Nelson that much.