What GM / Coach tandem would you look to hire?

Bronc24

If you owned the Bills, what GM / Coaching candidates would you realistically attempt to hire? I am wondering who you think are the hot-shot coordinators or college coaches you would go after. It seems the Rams got it right with Spags and the Redskins finally got it right as well, it appears. The Bills? Not so much, I would say.

(yeah, yeah, I know we are only 6 weeks into a new regime)

Right now I want Nix & Gailey but with a proven and experienced DC. We're seeing imporvements on offense but the defense has been downright horrific regardless of what one think about their talent. That is a unit that can play better, no doubt.

In my perfect world....

Parcells as GM

Head Coach - John Gruden

Def Coord - John Fox (assuming he gets fired, which he will)

Off Coord - Gruden's choice.

See ya in the playoffs.

Edited by Lv-Bills

If you're looking at replacing the guys who are there, right now or even at the end of the season, you're talking about etching an even deeper impression of instability at the top of this organization. With that said, I think the options would be VERY unfavorable. Whom I'd hire, and whom I would BE ABLE to hire would be two different things. We saw many great options available this year and many of them appeared to not even give the Bills the time of day. Maybe this could change with a yachtload of money and a share of the franchise dangled, but then you're likely getting someone who's coming for not all the right reasons.

Things suck right now, but I think the team's best bet is to see what improvements this group can make over the season, and reloading come draft and FA (presuming there's even football next year).

If I really, truly had my choice of anyone, even people employed with another team right now, I'd probably offer all of the above and more to Ron Wolf, keep Kevin Whaley onboard to groom as GM-in-waiting, and acquiesce to whatever coaching choice they made. I'd also hire double the scouts and try to lure more of them from the best of my competitors.

I'd keep the guys we've got (with exception of Modrak) and see if they can build a winner from my embarrassingly large amount of money I'd have as owner and willing to put into the franchise.

Oh, and have at least one Fan Appreciation Day a year, where all seats and parking cost $1 a piece. Build new fans, and reward those who have persevered.

Didn't we just do that this past year. No use going thru this again. The definition id insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The Bills Front office is insane. No decent head coach would come to this franchise right now, given the huge lack of talent at many positions.

If you owned the Bills, what GM / Coaching candidates would you realistically attempt to hire? I am wondering who you think are the hot-shot coordinators or college coaches you would go after. It seems the Rams got it right with Spags and the Redskins finally got it right as well, it appears. The Bills? Not so much, I would say.

(yeah, yeah, I know we are only 6 weeks into a new regime)

Pioli GM

Crennel DC

Weis OC

too bad KC thought of it first!

You don't want Parcells as GM. You want the next Parcells as coach maybe, but he's had all the money in the world as a GM and has really assembled a good product at best. I want someone who does it the Steeler way and maybe that's Whaley. It seems year after year the Steelers have mjaor talent leave and it never makes a difference because the replacement is always on the roster.

Head coach? Show me good talent and I'll show you a good head coach.

You don't want Parcells as GM. You want the next Parcells as coach maybe, but he's had all the money in the world as a GM and has really assembled a good product at best. I want someone who does it the Steeler way and maybe that's Whaley. It seems year after year the Steelers have mjaor talent leave and it never makes a difference because the replacement is always on the roster.

Head coach? Show me good talent and I'll show you a good head coach.

Marv Levy? Tony Dungy?

Jon Gruden as GM. Whatever he does after that is OK with me.

Gruden is so overrated. How many qbs did he draft/sign in Tampa? And this is the guy you want to run the bills. Gruden inherited Tony Dungy's team to win a superbowl and after that , nothing , caput , nada , zilch.

I'd like to see Ozzie Newsome and John Fox running the show , but more realistically , I wouldn't mind seeing a Jim Harbaugh and Tom Telesco or someone from the Polian tree of player management.

If I own the team I make Myself Gm, while hiring multiple assistant GMs (thus having say 3 "GMs" instead of 2, and me being able to stop them from drafting Jokes like Maybin) and instantly hire Jim Harbaugh. As for OC/DC, I really like the idea of getting former HCs - like a dick lebou, bc A they have experience at HC and should be smarter, and B If you O or D is dominant no team is going to give them a second chance anytiem soon. AKA - If Singletary gets the Boot, hello new DC

I would stick with Nix and Gailey for now. So far I think they are on the right track, although the spiller pick does make me wonder some, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe that this team makes the playoffs no matter who is the coach with the current players. It will take 2 or 3 more years to get a core of players to have a shot at the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs in 3 years or less, dump 'em as they can't get it done. Until then I let them try.

Marty and Brian Schottenheimer

they actually wanted the jobs last year

Marty is someone that has successfully turned around several trainwrecks in a very short time frame

Rex Ryan has already stated he will let Brain go to work with his dad.

I like our current regime of Nix/ Whaley/ Gailey, and I would love to lose Modrak and the scouting department to start on the path towards redemption again.

But for the purposes of this thread, I would say Polian as GM and Parcells as coach.

Total impossibility, but I figure since we're dreamin', why not dream about the best of each?

When I think of the important aspects of the GM job, I think assessing talent. What team seems to have the best talent, year in and out, that fits the system? I think Pittsburg is definitely up there - I remember their 3rd stringers, with nothing to play for except the game itself, beat our Bills who were playing for a wildcard spot. That was demoralizing.

I'm not as familiar with the GM candidates as I am with coaches and coordinators.

On offense I like the Colts, but you don't have the Colts offense without Manning - he makes that team just like Kelly made the Bills. I like New England's offensive style - that they go after the opposition's weakness, and they will take it to you. Sean Payton, in New Orleans is also very good.

Defensively, I like the Jets. Rex Ryan went in there and put it together, and that defense does what a defense should do - it beats people. Dick Laboue - spelling? with the Steelers - and what he did with the Bills, is an example of excellence in Defense, but of a different style.

I don't know - there are so many good options. I'd love to see Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher - I really like how Cowher handled declining the Bills position - he did it with class. Now look, next year there will be Carolina, Dallas, probably Cleveland, maybe Cincinnati, San Diego... San Diego, Dallas, and Carolina are all absolutely great NFL coaching destinations. So, for a coach to choose Buffalo over those teams, there would have to be a lot of incentive.

Really, I've always thought I'd rather see up and coming guys make a name here than bring in someone else's success. So, maybe Nix and Gailey can do it.

First of all, Bill Polian as GM isn't gonna fly, he would be taking a step down to be GM as he is the president of the Colts and his son is the GM.

Second, what is ruining this Franchise is that the owner declared himself president in 2006 after he fired Tom Donahoe and hired Marv Levy to be GM and then proceeded to run the team into the ground. After Marv Levy stepped down the owner decided to let Jaruon be the De facto HC / GM.

In the early 2000's after he fired John Butler ...owner Ralph Wilson handed the team over to a guy who was just fired in Pittsburgh, Ralph Wilson named Donahore GM / president and stepped back to let him run the team, freaking brilliant idea but the wrong freaking guy!!. What is it with the intelligence of an owner who hires people who have just been fired at what they have done in a lesser job title and then promotes then!! The guy was nothing more then director of football operations in Pittsburgh and loses a power struggle with Bill Cowher, gets fired as a result of that and the moron Ralph Wilson then hires the guy and says here is my team....makes the guy GM AND president of the team....how on earth does that happen, I just don't get it!!

I just don't get how this franchise is run as a business ... when you hire people that have just been fired and then hire AND promote them, with both new head coach Chan Gailey and Tom Donahoe. Gailey was fired as offensive coordinator for the KC Chiefs two years ago just before Dick Jauron fired Turk Schonert as OC. he then gets hired by the Buffalo Bills as head coach, this doesn't sense to me and doesn't seem to bother anyone else around here.

Anyone wanna work for the Buffalo Bills? Simply tell them you have just been fired so you will need a promotion and more money :lol:

I would hire former ex-NE Patriot director of college scouting and current Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff away from the Falcons and name him president / GM. Then the owner needs to step away and let him run the team, I suspect he would get results in one year, not 3-5

On another note, I keep hearing that now that Bill Parcells is stepping out at Miami the owners are friends with ex president of the KC Chiefs Carl Peterson. If Peterson is named president watch what happens to the Miami Dolphins as I'm pretty sure the new pres will want his own HC & GM. Jeez the guy gets canned at KC and now Miami wants to give a friend a job...that franchise should go downhill quickly if this happens.

Should Bill Parcells become available for job as president, Ralph Wilson should jump at the chance to have him take over team operations and set everything right for this franchise. Let him hire a new GM & HC and look over the scouting staff to see if there really are any major problems with the personnel. Nobody in this current front office seems to have a clue to know the difference between bust like Maybin and all pro's like Orakpo, this needs to change asap.

Edited by Harvey lives

The Chiefs probably have the best FO/Coaching staff in the biz right now. They're on the up and up.

And it feels like it was just yesterday when they were being chastised for picking a 3-4 DE with their top 3 pick and were deem inept because they couldn't trade fast enough guys like Dorsey and Derrick Johnson who were clearly unfit to play that defense.

I think I would be a good GM, so I would hire myself.

I am very confident that I could draft more effectively than the current Bills front office by doing no scouting whatsoever, and instead just drafting based on Kiper and Mayock's draft boards.

Don't be so humble :o

My choices:

Head Coach: Richard Jauron

OC: Mike Mularkey

DC: Greg Williams

GM: TD

;)

Jon Gruden as GM. Whatever he does after that is OK with me.

Gruden as a GM doesn't work...look at Tampa - did win a SB with Dungy's guys but then around .500 the rest of the time.

I would hire Buddy Nix as GM and Brian Billick as head coach but I can live with Chan

I think I would be a good GM, so I would hire myself.

I am very confident that I could draft more effectively than the current Bills front office by doing no scouting whatsoever, and instead just drafting based on Kiper and Mayock's draft boards.

Funny it's napolian because look at his drafts with the bills, you talk about throwing away early picks

Ralph tried to hire the two best available guys: Cowher and Shanahan. To me they were/are heads and shoulders above the available proven coaches. Cowher would be a perfect fit for Buffalo, I think.

As for GM, anyone Cowher is comfortable working with.

Ralph tried to hire the two best available guys:  Cowher and Shanahan.  To me they were/are heads and shoulders above the available proven coaches.  Cowher would be a perfect fit for Buffalo, I think.  

As for GM, anyone Cowher is comfortable working with.

this is bupkus - just spin put out by the Brandon PR machine

they talked about it for the benefit of the fans, but there was never any serious move to hire anyone of substance - who would demand control of all decisions regarding operations 

this is clearly supported by the backup plan which involved having John Guy be one of 2 interviewed for the GM position