Will we make a play for Shawne Merriman?

Estro

Merriman has been placed on IR, but with a designation that the team has to release him when healthy (at most 6 weeks). Is it possible the Bills make a play for him? How will it work, will he have to clear waivers first, if so we would have a good chance of acquiring him.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merriman has been placed on IR, but with a designation that the team has to release him when healthy (at most 6 weeks). Is it possible the Bills make a play for him? How will it work, will he have to clear waivers first, if so we would have a good chance of acquiring him.

Between Merriman and Poz we could almost have one whole healthy linebacker.

I know the usual"i heard of him, get er done" sarcasm is about to start...but this may be different. The Bills are so god awful at linebacker, maybe he could help if healthy. I have watched zero Chargers games so have no idea how he has looked. Yes, I can see his stats have plummeted since the roid suspension, but on a team as bad as the Bills can he not be an upgrade?

Guess he will want a new contract, but he can poiund salt till he performs on the field

i think that you could see him finish out the year here and then look to negotiate a deal past that (here or elsewhere) after the season.... unless an OLB on a contender goes down.

It would be an opportunity to get playing time, and he does have familiar faces around these parts. I think that its something they should investigate, but clearly he has ideas about what hes worth that dont seem to match up with his production.

We won't, but we should. Our LB's are the worst in the league. Even if he never regains the form he once had, is he not better than Kelsay, Torbor, Ellis, or Maybin?? Would he not at least start for our pathetic defense?

Players don't like to go from the glamour of San Diego to the 'glamour' of Orchard Park, especially Merriman, but I'd approve of this move.

Might as well. You think the 49'ers might beat us to him? Wonder who is first in waiver order?

I would think that goes to strength of schedule, and I am assuming as of this minute our schedule as been tougher than the 49ers, but that is just a guess.

But, I don't think Merriman goes through waivers now that I think about it. I belive as a vested vet(4 years accrued seasons), if cut/waived, he becomes a free agent able to negotiate with any team, similiar to what we did with Mitchell??? I am only guessing there, not 100% certain

(edit) Yep, he will be a free agent

Players who have completed more than four accrued seasons automatically become free agents if they are let go at this point in the season.

Edited by plenzmd1

SD just placed him on IR with a certain designation that stipulates they have to release him when he's healthy.... He's definitely not the player he once was. You guys think he's someone Nix would look at bringing in?

He would be better than the dreggs we have on the roster at the moment.

He has been absolute garbage since he got off the stuff and his neck shrunk up. What a shame, I wonder if POZ was on the same cocktail.

Correct. He was a creation of modern chemistry. He is absolutely worthless now - which is why SD doesn't mind him being available.

One of the most ridiculous things in the NFL-hype machine was how no one in the media stopped singing his praises after he came off his 4-game suspension and continued to lead the league in sacks, etc. As if the effects of his cheating would wear off so fast. Even worse than Cushing still winning RoY over Byrd last season even after he was caught.

As soon as Merriman had a full-offseason away from the juice he degraded all the way to useless and hasn't budged since.

If you think he wasn't doing steroids all through college as well you are kidding yourself.

Without them he is not an NFL talent.