Name One good player move Nix / Gailey have made?

BuffaloinLA

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shakey at best. Throwing a top ten pick to either of those guys looks like it would have been bad... but too early to tell. All three are off to a rough start.

From what I understand, McCoy nearly got cut before the season started. Picking any of those guys would've been a disaster. And picking Tebow (or the others, really) in the 2nd round would've been a disaster, too.

Davis actually improved the LB squad, they are even worse against the run without him. Dwan Edwards seems like a decent role player and an upgrade over what would otherwise be there, extending McIntyre, cutting Hardy, cutting Ellis, Getting Trade value out of spleef mode, making Parrish part of the O, cutting Reed, making use of Johnson, picking up UDFA Nelson are at the top of the least after getting a final ruling on TE and closing that chapter.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

And how are McCoy's, Clausen's and Tebow's NFL futures looking?

Not good, I think that was the point of the post you were replying to.

I like their draft approach, drafting the best player available. Sure alot of different moves could have been made that may have given the team 5 or 6 wins or sold more tickets (draft a QB), but what good is that? Many complain that all the team does is try to sell tickets, well isn't what they're doing now the complete opposite? Break the whole thing down, get the best players you can with your draft picks, and build for the long term. Fill in your holes with free agents. In 2 more offseasons, which may be complete before 1 more season is played, they can realistically have the whole roster turned over.

One good move aside from the two good moves you referenced? Really trying to make a point huh? One good move is not listening to you for player personnel moves.

Or how about getting two picks for your 3rd RB ......

Oh you mean the guy who was the starting RB? Because Lynch was the starting RB in games 2-3-4.

a who knows 3rd round pick and a conditional pick in 2 years for a #9-1st rounder

Trading him NOW instead of on draft day when Nix could have gotten a 4th to help this horridly bad team THIS YEAR, not to mention losing RB Joique Bell to the Eagles...

Good moves:

Cutting Hardy

Letting a wishy-washy Schoebel walk away honorably

Drafting Spiller

Retaining Fitz

Signing Cornell Green (I kid!)

Not a lot to love, but some good decisions. This is year 1 of a multi-year rebuilding process, so I'm looking forward to progress over the next few years.

Aside from cutting Trent, can anyone name ONE positive move that the Bills Front Office has made in the past year?

I don't consider drafting Spiller a good move because

a) we did not need a RB

b) he has not contributed much this year

c) even if he was best player available, we could have traded down and drafted a LB and OT.

Oh you mean the guy who was the starting RB? Because Lynch was the starting RB in games 2-3-4.

a who knows 3rd round pick and a conditional pick in 2 years for a #9-1st rounder

Trading him NOW instead of on draft day when Nix could have gotten a 4th to help this horridly bad team THIS YEAR, not to mention losing RB Joique Bell to the Eagles...

Everyone needs to face it, Joique Bell is not ever going to be a great RB. He will be a very serviceable backup RB, maybe. he shined during pre-season against guys who aren't on football teams anymore. Philly grabbed him up because they needed a backup to Mike Bell. We have two very good RB.

Or we could have traded down and got Best or McCluster who are just as good, if not better than Spiller! :oops:

I disagree, CJ is running behind a terrible line. I have seen enough of what he can do with a crack of daylight to be sure he is the real deal. I recall OJ struggling until a decent line was finally assembled. Yeah, I'm that old.

Every year people hear abouts go on and on about trading down as if doing so is simply a matter of choosing that option at the buffet. You need a trading partner. There are always, always more teams that want to trade down

than teams who want to trade up. We have no idea if that option was open to them so getting on their case for not doing it is just pure guesswork.

This is a team that hardly had a player worthy of being an NFL starter anywhere on offense. On defense, switching to a 3-4 requires a complete overhaul of your defensive roster to get the people with the right skill set to thrive in

3-4. That is way more than can be accomplished in a single off season. In retrospect, we would have been better off going with the 4-3, at least in the short term. They bit off more than they could chew. Instead of a 2 year rebuild, we are

probably looking at 3-4.

Here are some things to remember.

1. It is WAY too early to tell how good of a job Nix and the gang did with the draft. Think back to 2006 and 2007, the early returns on both drafts was pretty good. So, if Troup, Carrington, Easly, Wang etc turn out to be decent players, then we can thank Nix for that.

2. The concept from the outset was to rebuild this team from the ground up. That means NOT spending a fortune in free agency, and when signing free agents, try to go with younger guys with upside. Because of the impending labor situation (and the unique rules associated with this being the final year of the existing CBA), players with 5 or fewer years in the league where not unrestricted. Thus, there truly were not many viable guys to pick up. D. Edwards was actually one of the better FAs that ANY team picked up. Think about it for a minute, how many key signings did OTHER teams make in the off-season?

3. As many here have already pointed out, sometimes the best moves you make are the ones you DON'T make. That is: Campbell, Clausen, etc.

I can't think of any good moves. What is really pitiful is that given the moves the previous guys made, it should have been really easy to look better than them, but there has been no improvement. I watch Orakpo on the Washington redskins and wonder how anyone could navew ever thought to take maybin ahead of him. I see Mangold anchoring thre Jets O=-line and wonder how anyone could have traded up ahead of the jets and took that load, McCargo. There are plenty more.

One good move is that they didnt make any moves, Instead of signing a few decent free agents that help us win 6-9 games and keep out of the mix of snagging one of the top qbs in the draft, the didnt sign anyone-let the young guys developt and see they have, get rid of the rift raft, win 1-4 games and be in the top 5 in the draft ready to snag that big name qb. I cant bash the CJ pick because he is an NFL caliber player which is more than I can say for most of our recent first round picks.

Aside from cutting Trent, can anyone name ONE positive move that the Bills Front Office has made in the past year?

a) we did not need a RB

c) even if he was best player available, we could have traded down and drafted a LB and OT.

Not a popular viewpoint I know, I do consider Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards to be solid acquisitions

a) we did not need a RB

They dumped Lynch for a draft pick.

Edited by Azucho98

Not drafting a QB in last year's draft.  We couldn't get Bradford but not drafting McCoy,Clausen or Tebow with our first pick. I still think if Tebow was there in the second round he would be ours now but he was not first round worthy

Tebow was the plan

why do you think Ralph, who now publicly admits that he is desperate for a QB, almost had a coronary when Denver traded up for Tebow ruining the Bills master plan.

They are now into Plan B which is to tank the season for a QB next year.

There's no satisfying one who to judges this administration on 5 weeks of of 16 game season and there's little value in the debate. Ask this on January 10th. What if Wang starts the final 8 games and is a road grader? What if Moats ends up with 7 sacks? What if Spiller ends up with 10 TDs?

Let it play out.

I understand the disappointment, but were the Bills suppose to be 5-0? What did you think a rebuilding year would look like?

There's no satisfying one who to judges this administration on 5 weeks of of 16 game season and there's little value in the debate. Ask this on January 10th. What if Wang starts the final 8 games and is a road grader? What if Moats ends up with 7 sacks? What if Spiller ends up with 10 TDs?

Let it play out.

I understand the disappointment, but were the Bills suppose to be 5-0? What did you think a rebuilding year would look like?

We all know what it looks like........ the last 10 years. :wallbash: