Name One good player move Nix / Gailey have made?

BuffaloinLA

Aside from cutting Trent, can anyone name ONE positive move that the Bills Front Office has made in the past year?

I don't consider drafting Spiller a good move because

a) we did not need a RB

b) he has not contributed much this year

c) even if he was best player available, we could have traded down and drafted a LB and OT.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of any. Spiller is the closest as he is a very good player, but not what we needed... so I agree that won't qualify. Cornell Green was a bonehead move, Letting TO and Incognito go was a bonehead move. I don't think there is any...not one good player move made all year.

Aside from cutting Trent, can anyone name ONE positive move that the Bills Front Office has made in the past year?

a) we did not need a RB

c) even if he was best player available, we could have traded down and drafted a LB and OT.

Resigning Kelsey ... wait wait, before you tar and feather me let me explain.

I think Kelsey is/was a marginally acceptable DE and a simply horrible LB. But, Nix is trying to sign and keep what he considers to be his core players and then build a team around them via the draft. Given the fact that he really doesn't have many (any?) good players to consider his core, I can at least say he is trying to so something positive.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Resigning Kelsay ... wait wait, before you tar and feather me let me explain.

I think Kelsay is/was a marginally acceptable DE and a simply horrible LB. But, Nix is trying to sign and keep what he considers to be his core players and then build a team around them via the draft. Given the fact that he really doesn't have many (any?) good players to consider his core, I can at least say he is trying to so something positive.

Even If I agreed with extending Kelsay, I would say that that is a pathetic "best move" for a front office.

My God, where do I start - a top 5 then:

5. Getting Aaron Maybin to attend all the minicamps and training camp...Lord knows the last regime couldn't.

4. Taking Spiller ahead of more pressing needs...you'll see...you'll all see.

3. Managing to sell out the 1st two home games...how in the hell did they do that with the obvious failure we have in house?

2. Managing to avoid taking that waste Bryan Baluga, or God forbid, Anthony Davis.

1. Shrewdly tapping into the huge Chinese NFL merchandise buying market by drafting Ed Wang!

a) we did not need a RB

One good move aside from the two good moves you referenced? Really trying to make a point huh? One good move is not listening to you for player personnel moves.

Or how about getting two picks for your 3rd RB ......

Even If I agreed with extending Kelsay, I would say that that is a pathetic "best move" for a front office.

Pathetic perhaps, but in his heart he was trying to do something positive.

I know I'm reaching but it's the best I could come up with! :blink:

1. Shrewdly tapping into the huge Chinese NFL merchandise buying market by drafting Ed Wang!

Hehehe .... :thumbsup:

One good move aside from the two good moves you referenced? Really trying to make a point huh? One good move is not listening to you for player personnel moves.

Or how about getting two picks for your 3rd RB ......

If we had not drafted Spiller, there would have been no need to trade Lynch

Sign Joey Porter. Not for his production (not a ton left) but for his experience, TRUE leadership and attitude.

-He was a DE at Colorado St. and converted to OLB when he was drafted by the Steelers. He learned from the best and would have been able to help with the transition.

-His leadership and attitude would have been invaluable. I always laugh when people want to point to Lil Donte as the Bills leader and then you look at a guy like Porter who sets the tempo for the D and plays nasty as hell. Donte is busy twittering and whining about other teams laughing at the Bills. I wonder what would happen if Porter and his D were being laughed at?

Basically, Buddy Dits chose a loser like Kelsay to lead the way for his vision and that is why the Bills suck. :bag:

Not drafting a QB in last year's draft. We couldn't get Bradford but not drafting McCoy,Clausen or Tebow with our first pick. I still think if Tebow was there in the second round he would be ours now but he was not first round worthy

If we had not drafted Spiller, there would have been no need to trade Lynch

i know not sure what you are getting at. That he made two bad moves there?

I see the criticism of drafting another RB but Spiller was best player available. 99 out of 100 GMs take the best player avaialble. Thats what you do, esp when one of your RBs in 30 years old.

Sign Joey Porter. Not for his production (not a ton left) but for his experience, TRUE leadership and attitude.

-He was a DE at Colorado St. and converted to OLB when he was drafted by the Steelers. He learned from the best and would have been able to help with the transition.

-His leadership and attitude would have been invaluable. I always laugh when people want to point to Lil Donte as the Bills leader and then you look at a guy like Porter who sets the tempo for the D and plays nasty as hell. Donte is busy twittering and whining about other teams laughing at the Bills. I wonder what would happen if Porter and his D were being laughed at?

Basically, Buddy Dits chose a loser like Kelsay to lead the way for his vision and that is why the Bills suck. :bag:

Ummmmmm, yeh.....What he just said.

a) we did not need a RB

Or we could have traded down and got Best or McCluster who are just as good, if not better than Spiller! :oops:

Not drafting a QB in last year's draft. We couldn't get Bradford but not drafting McCoy,Clausen or Tebow with our first pick. I still think if Tebow was there in the second round he would be ours now but he was not first round worthy

And how are McCoy's, Clausen's and Tebow's NFL futures looking?

good move adding Dwan Edwards

Crap moves just about everything else, the Bills are the George Costanza of the NFL and they should do the opposite.

Yeah, I love Dwan Edwards. Davis is ok, but he isn't a stud. He looks better because our LB group is so weak. But to me, those were two good moves. If the front office made more of those moves, I would say this team would be a lot better. Even if they just got another OT and a pass rusher.

But yeah, pretty much everything else isn't looking very hopeful. I have a lot of hope for easley, but that is a huge questionmark right there.

cutting edwards and trading lynch were also good moves. Edwards wasn't working at all and lynch, even though he was young, was going to leave buffalo the first chance he got of free agency. People can say lynch was the "future" for us, but really, lynch was going to leave after next year anyway. Better to get a draft pick for him.

i know not sure what you are getting at. That he made two bad moves there?

I see the criticism of drafting another RB but Spiller was best player available. 99 out of 100 GMs take the best player avaialble. Thats what you do, esp when one of your RBs in 30 years old.

100 out of 100 GMs say that they *did* draft the best player available, whether they actually reached to fill a need or not. GMs are the worst people to listen to when it comes to the draft, because their entire focus is keeping their job. Which means 1.) not letting other GMs know their strategy, and 2.) trying to make themselves seem really smart in the eyes of the fans and the team's owner.

Former GMs tend to be a little more forthright, and usually they come down somewhere around "take the best player who fills a need."

Anyway, regarding the Spiller pick specifically: That may yet become a good move, but it isn't one yet. Why not? Because Spiller hasn't really done anything! He's the #9 pick and he only touches the ball about 5-10 times a game. And he's looked good at times, but he certainly hasn't dominated at any point. He's got a lot of potential and he's not a bust or anything, but in terms of real world production, Spiller has not lived up to what you expect out of a #9 pick so far. Especially since he was supposedly the best player available (by far, depending on who you ask). Jahvid Best is a similar player who's looked a lot better and produced a lot more so far.

So picking Spiller has yet to be validated as a good move. What has? I'll say signing Andra Davis. Cheap contract, not a bad player, one of the very few who fits the scheme. Would probably be a marginal starter or top backup on a really good defense, but instead, he's one of our best defenders. I can't really endorse any of our other FA signings as good moves yet. Cornell Green is horrible, Dwan Edwards has surprisingly sucked (he frequently gets pushed back 3-4 yards on run plays, and is a major part of the problems with the run D), Torbor and Ayodele have been pretty invisible and don't really play much anyway. But both make very little, so if either fails to suck, I'd call that signing a good move.