A dose of reality for the hysteria

Alphadawg7

It was only a matter of time before someone said that 2010 was a rebuilding season anyway and we shouldn't be concerned. Many of the posters who came here said that this years Bills team wouldn't be close to the worst in the NFL.

The reason this season is bad remains obvious. It follows 10 straight non-playoff seasons and two previous rebuilds that were unsuccessful. And many of the same front office people are still there making decisions. Why should anyone believe this one is different when there's no proof they have a long term plan and the GM and HC have never handled a rebuild in their current roles.

The decision making process thus far has been haphazard. Edwards the anointed starter, then cut. Steve Johnsons #2 WR, then demoted. Kelsay re-signed. Mitchell requests a release. Lynch traded. I don't understand why all of these moves needed to occur during the regular season if there is indeed a plan in place. Some have said that Perry Fewell knew Fitzpatrick was the best starter last season, so why couldn't offensive genius Chan Gailey figure that out?

Before that, which team devotes another first rounder to a RB when they're brutally bad at OT and the defensive front 7? But before that, moves to a 3-4 without the personnel to do so. Last year's 4-3 was substantially better than George Edwards' crew.

And last but not least, the fans with their hands up in the air screaming are the ones who know the stadium lease expires after the 2012 season and no one from the organization can shed light on what happens to the team after Mr. Wilson's passing. So we've got 11 straight bad to mediocre seasons and a franchise in peril of not remaining much longer. I'd say there's plenty of reason to demand something more. As many NFL reporters have said, Buffalo fans deserve better.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post of this intelligence is rare at twobillsdrive.com

Yeah......a real doozy. It's just this type of accepting dribble that pisses some people off. What's so intelligent?

That he's willing to try the Gaily/Nix regime? How much time do we give him? Gaily/Nix will never....never EVER win anything in this league together or apart.

Give me someone tried and true. Give me someone with a winning f@#$ing track record. Pay handsomely for that individual, too!

Give me some good decision makers with good pedigree. Draft like a mother f@#$er and play the market wisely.

Goddammit, give me some good f@#$ing football!

jeezus h.......while I'm still young!

Out matched against 3 teams that will make the playoffs this year, and hamstrung in the home opener by a QB who's damn lucky to still be in a job?

How about not being in the same league as 3 of those teams, who held onto the reigns to avoid a bigger embarrassment?

Yeah......a real doozy. It's just this type of accepting dribble that pisses some people off. What's so intelligent?

That he's willing to try the Gaily/Nix regime? How much time do we give him? Gaily/Nix will never....never EVER win anything in this league together or apart.

Give me someone tried and true. Give me someone with a winning f@#$ing track record. Pay handsomely for that individual, too!

Give me some good decision makers with good pedigree. Draft like a mother f@#$er and play the market wisely.

i love how people magically think we can get the best names in football to come to buffalo. as the team starts to show a positive direction, talent will start to give buffalo a chance. sad thing is, we've been rebuilding forever, but never really doing it. people complain because we've been "terrible" for so long, when really, we've been mediocre. this is terrible, and it's a necessary step in rebuilding from the ground up that we haven't gone through.

There needs to be more action and attempts to get better. More free agents, proven talent. Spend some of the old man's money to try to get better. Do not wait for some 4th or 5th rounder to develop in 3 years.

The only problem with that is that free agents and proven talents don't want to play in Buffalo. Would you? Therefore you have to pay a considerable markup just to get them on your roster, which is a fundamental factor that lead to this talentless state of the organization. We complain about offering low value contracts and about not bringing in top talent without the slightest consideration that the two issues are completely interrelated.

So what you're saying is basically that stupid people get mad at intelligent comments. Somehow that isn't surprising.

Guest dog14787

Man, this board is total freak out mode right now. Lets look at some hot points and why some people need to just relax. I mean, I was optimistic about progress this season but even I knew that it was very possible it could get worse before it gets better.

1. How bad we are: This is, and always has been, a rebuilding year. We were never supposed to be any good this year. Sure, there was some optimism, but a lot of things needed to go right for that to come true like a QB emerging for instance. One draft and offseason isnt going to solve this teams problems. So knowing that, why all the freaking out?

Funny how 0-4 does that to a team, mind If I call this a rebuilding decade.

2. CJ Spiller: Dam, talk about freaking out. Many are already calling him a bust or a back not capable of being an every down RB because they are bringing him along slowly. Those people need to realize there is FAR more into playing RB in the NFL than just rushing the ball. Our O Line is atrocious, and our RB must be able to be effective at pass protection and pick up blitzes consistently right now and thats not something young RB's just come into the league and excel at typically.

Compounding it further, when he is in the back field it increases the likely hood of a run play allowing the D gear up for it...this is because he isnt up to par in pass protection/blitz pickup yet and is more likely in there to run the ball or catch a screen than pass block. That is a massive advantage for the D.

The truth of the matter is regardless of how good CJ is or will be one day, addressing the RB position was not anywhere near the top of the list of team needs.

3. Trent Edwards: If anyone is confused as to why he was named a starter then they just didnt follow this team in the offseason as he won the job. Further more, if anyone is confused why he was benched and cut, then they just werent watching the games as he proved without a doubt he just isnt the same guy when the games count. The cutting of Trent alone is a great move for this team...no more pussification of the team and no controversies.

If anyone is confused about the Trent Edwards release its probably because Gailey/Nix just spent the whole off season/preseason evaluating QB's and determined Trent Edwards is the starter. Releasing Trent Edwards didn't make the Buffalo Bills better, it made the Jacksonville Jaguars better, but I can surely understand why the move would make perfect sense to a poster who has bashed Trent Edwards for almost as long as I can remember and will continue to bash TE long after he's gone.

4. Lynch being traded: First off, Lynch is a good back, not a great back. He has potential to be a great back, but he has yet to reach it. He was beaten out by an UDFA in Fred Jackson who is in his late 20's because he dances too much at the line and doesnt hit holes as effectively. Need proof...compare YPC of him and FJ behind the same OL...case closed. Not to mention, he is one burp at the wrong moment away from a year long suspension.

FJ runs hard, has relatively low mileage on his legs and should be effective for 2 to 3 more years and is now paired with Spiller who can take it to the house on any given play. We went from Thunder and "Dance too much" Thunder to Thunder and Lightning which is a better combo. Lynch would be gone after his contract was up anyway. So at some point we were going to have to trade him, and we need draft picks NOW not later.

While Marshawn Lynch seems like a logic trade, lets not forget management made Marshawn the odd man out when they drafted CJ Spiller.

5. Lee Evans: You people need to get a grip. One day you scream all over the place of how cheap Ralph is, now you wont shut up about Lee's contract being so big, when its really not since it was front loaded. Lee is NOT holding any young players back...Lee is NOT taking up cap space we cant afford...Lee is NOT causing a distraction...Lee is NOT washed up...Lee IS worth more than a 4th round draft pick.

Who was our leading receiver last season, didn't his last name start with an O, and didn't that fella get shipped out in favor of someone who now makes three times as much money?

Funny thing is that some you people screaming to trade him are some of the same people upset that all we got is a 4th for Lynch and claiming how the 4th is not very much for a talented player. Even more funny is that we dont NEED to keep Lynch, but we are already short handed at WR. Given Moss went for a 3rd, that would mean that Lee could maybe get a 3rd (he is younger, and seen as a very talented WR around the league) or more likely a 4th right now. So how is that more valuable to a team that MUST groom a young QB who will need WR's to throw to? Either Brohm or some rookie will be under center soon, and they will need weapons.

6. Evaluating Chan/Nix: Again, get a grip. They came into this mess, they didnt make this mess. They have had 4, yes just 4, games (against vastly more talented teams) together and you are already blasting them as if the lack of talent on this team is their doing. They are being forced to work with what they have and it will take a season or two before they can really put their stamp on this team.

Evaluating Gailey/Nix is what it is and so far they have done nothing to improve this mess they inherited, when in fact we are worse off then we were last season. We didn't draft the QB of the future, improve the O-line or address the Tight End position properly. Instead of Improving our pass rush and in a great show of intellect our management sent Aaron Schobel our best player packing.

"When I come onto the field I don't just hope to win, I expect to win." Now does that sound like the introduction to a season of rebuilding, really, because they could have fooled me and the season ticket holders were surely fooled, but just for the sake of argument can you tell me how and why a team like the patriots who now call themselves in rebuilding mode are 3-1 and we're 0-4

The only dose of reality here is a decade of losing with no end in sight...

Edited by dog14787

Man, this board is total freak out mode right now. Lets look at some hot points and why some people need to just relax. I mean, I was optimistic about progress this season but even I knew that it was very possible it could get worse before it gets better.

1. How bad we are: This is, and always has been, a rebuilding year. We were never supposed to be any good this year. Sure, there was some optimism, but a lot of things needed to go right for that to come true like a QB emerging for instance. One draft and offseason isnt going to solve this teams problems. So knowing that, why all the freaking out?

I agree with you here, but optimism? My optimism was always about the future of where we COULD go. I would gladly take a 1-15 season or the #1 overall, however you wanna look at it...as long as Buddy and Chan can get that draft pick RIGHT! So far they have done nothing to make me believe that they could do that. I agree that maybe a player needs to be brought along slowly, maybe two or three of them...but your whole draft class? (I guarentee Easley and Batten would be in the SAME position as the rest)

2. CJ Spiller: Dam, talk about freaking out. Many are already calling him a bust or a back not capable of being an every down RB because they are bringing him along slowly. Those people need to realize there is FAR more into playing RB in the NFL than just rushing the ball. Our O Line is atrocious, and our RB must be able to be effective at pass protection and pick up blitzes consistently right now and thats not something young RB's just come into the league and excel at typically.

Compounding it further, when he is in the back field it increases the likely hood of a run play allowing the D gear up for it...this is because he isnt up to par in pass protection/blitz pickup yet and is more likely in there to run the ball or catch a screen than pass block. That is a massive advantage for the D.

This goes along with what I was just saying. CJ Spiller should NOT have to be "brought along slowly." Chris Johnson wasn't. Jahvid Best is not being held back. Percy Harvin was not held back. What the hell? Let the kid take some hits and get used to the NFL. Our line is astrocious, but Chan Gailey said "CJ Spiller will make our Offensive Line BETTER!" However, I beg to differ with Chan whether or not a player can make ANYTHING better, sitting on the bench.

And as far as the Defense being able to tee-off on what we are doing if Spiller IS in the backfield? Really? You don't think we can throw a Defense off a little bit more if Spiller is IN the ball-game? I beg to differ there too! There is plenty of game-film on what Fred Jackson can do in the NFL...really won't find much on CJ Spiller. That is why Rookie RB's do well...opposing coaches do NOT know what that other coach is going to do with that player...OR, what THAT player can do with the football in his hands.

3. Trent Edwards: If anyone is confused as to why he was named a starter then they just didnt follow this team in the offseason as he won the job. Further more, if anyone is confused why he was benched and cut, then they just werent watching the games as he proved without a doubt he just isnt the same guy when the games count. The cutting of Trent alone is a great move for this team...no more pussification of the team and no controversies.

Agreed. Not much to say about this one. (and I DID like Trent...at one point this year.)

4. Lynch being traded: First off, Lynch is a good back, not a great back. He has potential to be a great back, but he has yet to reach it. He was beaten out by an UDFA in Fred Jackson who is in his late 20's because he dances too much at the line and doesnt hit holes as effectively. Need proof...compare YPC of him and FJ behind the same OL...case closed. Not to mention, he is one burp at the wrong moment away from a year long suspension.

FJ runs hard, has relatively low mileage on his legs and should be effective for 2 to 3 more years and is now paired with Spiller who can take it to the house on any given play. We went from Thunder and "Dance too much" Thunder to Thunder and Lightning which is a better combo. Lynch would be gone after his contract was up anyway. So at some point we were going to have to trade him, and we need draft picks NOW not later.

I agree with most of what you said in the 1st paragraph...however, if Lynch never got suspended, he would have started last season and been the lead-guy the whole year. Spiller dances too much...behind the line. Lynch hits holes the hardest of them all. He was the perfect "Workhorse" back that we certainly need. I think a 4th was fair. Only thing is, now we have to go out and spend a high draft pick on a RB in a year or 2 to replace the 30-something Fred Jackson. CJ Spiller is Reggie Bush. He will not be an every down RB in Buffalo. I just don't see it happening. He is better off being used as a KR/PR, WR, Wildcat/Option...on top of a 3rd down RB. He would get enough touches per game with all of that, to be able to be a dominant player. But 30 carries a game?

5. Lee Evans: You people need to get a grip. One day you scream all over the place of how cheap Ralph is, now you wont shut up about Lee's contract being so big, when its really not since it was front loaded. Lee is NOT holding any young players back...Lee is NOT taking up cap space we cant afford...Lee is NOT causing a distraction...Lee is NOT washed up...Lee IS worth more than a 4th round draft pick.

Funny thing is that some you people screaming to trade him are some of the same people upset that all we got is a 4th for Lynch and claiming how the 4th is not very much for a talented player. Even more funny is that we dont NEED to keep Lynch, but we are already short handed at WR. Given Moss went for a 3rd, that would mean that Lee could maybe get a 3rd (he is younger, and seen as a very talented WR around the league) or more likely a 4th right now. So how is that more valuable to a team that MUST groom a young QB who will need WR's to throw to? Either Brohm or some rookie will be under center soon, and they will need weapons.

If we can get a good enough draft pick, I would do it. But, I do agree that he could serve a important purpose on this team. I think between T.O.'s short stay, and what Evans has done...Steve Johnson is rounding into a decent player. I am sure Lee Evans has played a role in developing Roscoe's game, and nothing stops me from thinking he could turn Marcus Easley into a player.

6. Evaluating Chan/Nix: Again, get a grip. They came into this mess, they didnt make this mess. They have had 4, yes just 4, games (against vastly more talented teams) together and you are already blasting them as if the lack of talent on this team is their doing. They are being forced to work with what they have and it will take a season or two before they can really put their stamp on this team.

In the grand scheme of things, you are right and I do agree. They were the 2 men who were brave enough to take on this disaster...and the only REAL way to do it, is to just blow the whole damn thing up and start from scratch. Get all of the dead weight that is NOT yours. Try to develope what you brought on board or think you can salvage. Get rid of the rest. Build through the draft...however, I disagree with their Free Agency plan. I think they need to go out and sign some BIG-NAME guys who could come in and be leaders and house-hold, face of the franchise names. 1 for the Offense, 1 for the Defense...Moorman for Special Teams!

I am looking at about 2-3 years before this thing starts to take-shape...but I think we could be relevant again.

In the grand scheme of things, you are right and I do agree. They were the 2 men who were brave enough to take on this disaster...and the only REAL way to do it, is to just blow the whole damn thing up and start from scratch. Get all of the dead weight that is NOT yours. Try to develope what you brought on board or think you can salvage. Get rid of the rest. Build through the draft...however, I disagree with their Free Agency plan. I think they need to go out and sign some BIG-NAME guys who could come in and be leaders and house-hold, face of the franchise names. 1 for the Offense, 1 for the Defense...Moorman for Special Teams!

I am looking at about 2-3 years before this thing starts to take-shape...but I think we could be relevant again.

I agree, its going to take 2-3 years before we really start to see their stamp on this team. Nix said in that interview I saw posted on here today that their top focus is to change the culture and habits of losing. Thats a tall order, but change brings on optimism, and optimism is what will aid in changing the culture of that locker room.

I think you are painfully late with your thread. Where were you last night?

The City of Buffalo was on Fire and the only real help came from Die Hard 1967

From my point of view, this user name started posting just after Die Hard did the "swan song" thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, enjoy reading you both

Correlation or causation, just one of these things that make ya go...hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Except for a couple of notable exceptions, this whole thread is the fanboard equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. I'm sure the same conversation is going on right now on a Pittsburgh Pirates board and an Oakland Raiders board.

+1

I feel for most of these guys. I really do.

It took me several years to realize what I was a part of. It could be suggested that what these types of professional sports teams (Bills, Pirates) are doing to their fans constitutes the biggest con in America. Hundreds of thousands - even millions - of victims all at once. Perhaps only Microsoft has more people fooled.

I think the reason that a lot of fans are concerned is that the decision makers don't inspire confidence. We're not talking about Scott Pioli here - we're talking about a (very) longtime scout who looked a little out of his depth on draft day (what's with rushing to the podium instead of at least exploring trades, like every other freaking team?) and who is overseeing a team that doesn't seem able to attract good free agents. I don't think that Nix is a joke by any stretch, but there's a lot more that goes into managing a franchise than the draft. Plus he's a senior citizen, which (I hesitate to say) isn't discussed enough here. The NFL is *not* an old man's game.

More to the point, they took a bad team and made it a lot worse, and that often leads to merely ... a worse team, with no end in sight. As far as I can tell, no rebuilding has occurred except at the RB spot, which is one of the only places they didn't need it (Lynch is a good bit better than you give him credit for, I think). Spiller is certainly an exciting player, but I don't think it was a smart pick. The keys to the last draft, then, are Troup and Carrington, and maybe they'll be solid contributors. If they are, great, and I'll give Nix the credit he'll deserve. However, I'm not going to give them any credit until those guys prove they can play, and as far as I can tell, neither has made a play yet. It is early, of course. The day two picks appear to be the usual Bills' haul of not-ready-for-prime-time flotsam and jetsam, and I doubt any of them will be on the team in 3-4 years.

Dave, I agree 100%. It's not really Nix and Gailey's fault we've been here before BUT they have wasted a lot of time confirming things that everyone was 95% sure were true such as Edwards is a coach killer - looks good in practice but can't perform on game day. They better get started on this "plan" or they will be a top five pick for the next five years. Look at Detroit's agonizingly long rebuilding process that finally might be headed the right direction.

Out matched against 3 teams that will make the playoffs this year, and hamstrung in the home opener by a QB who's damn lucky to still be in a job?

You know, this is an often overlooked point, that we lost against four good teams.

The year we started 5-1 and everyone was tossing bouquets around and planning to print the playoff tickets, the dust settled and it turned out the teams we beat were the bottom of the NFL heap that year. We could be maybe 3-1 right now if our schedule had a bunch of bad teams at the start, and we'd still be the same bad team, just hiding it.

That said, though, what I really don't like is HOW we are playing in the loss, especially last week against the Jets.

It's not like we are playing like we mean it. Too much of the team seems to be playing like they're watching the clock.

"Sh*t, 11 minutes and 53 seconds left in this quarter? Ain't that clock slow?"

If the coaches need to make a few trades and cuts to change that attitude, I'm all for it.

The truth of the matter is regardless of how good CJ is or will be one day, addressing the RB position was not anywhere near the top of the list of team needs.

Interesting.

Before the season started, you couldn't wait to see Edwards and Spiller in action. They were going to rip it up.

And now you're being critical of Spiller's selection?

If anyone is confused about the Trent Edwards release its probably because Gailey/Nix just spent the whole off season/preseason evaluating QB's and determined Trent Edwards is the starter. Releasing Trent Edwards didn't make the Buffalo Bills better, it made the Jacksonville Jaguars better, but I can surely understand why the move would make perfect sense to a poster who has bashed Trent Edwards for almost as long as I can remember and will continue to bash TE long after he's gone.

Whether or not Edwards makes the Jags any better remains to be seen. But there is no doubt benching Edwards made the Bills better.

While Marshawn Lynch seems like a logic trade, lets not forget management made Marshawn the odd man out when they drafted CJ Spiller.

And? What's your point?

Who was our leading receiver last season, didn't his last name start with an O, and didn't that fella get shipped out in favor of someone who now makes three times as much money?

Dog, you are too rich for words at times.

Dog, prior to 2009 season: Owens and Edwards. Great combo. Owens will see Trent as a true leader.

Dog, after 2009 season: Owens is a cancer. Can't catch a ball. Get rid of him.

Dog, during 2010 season: Bills management sucks. They shipped out Owens.

Evaluating Gailey/Nix is what it is and so far they have done nothing to improve this mess they inherited, when in fact we are worse off then we were last season. (1)We didn't draft the QB of the future, improve the O-line or address the Tight End position properly. Instead of Improving our pass rush and (2)in a great show of intellect our management sent Aaron Schobel our best player packing.

All I can say is WOW.

(1) Prior to the season, you were convinced Chan was going to resurrect Edwards career. Edwards problems were all due to the previous regime and the poor coaching. Now, you're being critical because they didn't draft a QB for the future.

(2) Sorry, but this statement is incorrect. Schobel retired. Schobel didn't want to make the decision, so he forced the Bills to make the decision for him.

The only dose of reality here is a decade of losing with no end in sight...[/i]

The only dose of reality is how fast you changed your tune regarding the Bills management as soon as they benched and released your hero Trent.

That said, though, what I really don't like is HOW we are playing in the loss, especially last week against the Jets.

It's not like we are playing like we mean it. Too much of the team seems to be playing like they're watching the clock.

"Sh*t, 11 minutes and 53 seconds left in this quarter? Ain't that clock slow?"

If the coaches need to make a few trades and cuts to change that attitude, I'm all for it.

Hear, hear.

Four years of "Its hard to win in the NFL" being backed up by no accountability for poor play left the team in a situation far worse than it appears.

I'll give Donte credit for trying to be a leader. If he was true leader, he would seek out those players who share the same mindset he does, kick the coaching staff out of the locker room, close the doors and let the other players have it.

The reality may be those type of players that give a crap about wins/losses are a minority on the team. If so, the only way out of that mess is a major purge. That might mean a good player or two is shown the door.

Salient argument. Rome wasn’t built in a day. You sort of paraphrase Nix’s presser on many issues here. To me the focus needs to be on Moats, Spiller, Nelson and the other draft picks. If they continue to grow and become solid starter by year’s end. Then there is hop the talent pool will grow deeper with each draft.

I still am a big proponent of shopping Evans now. If someone want shim for a 3rd or better, it is worth considering. His skill would be a huge asset to an offense that has a big armed QB, another decent WR to draw some coverage and a line/running game good enough to hold up the pass rush long enough to open up the deep patterns.

I think the Bills are YEARS away from that place and may even choose not to go that way will together. In alignment with you’re the other points, the team needs time and picks to rebuild, not aging stars with skills aren’t complimented to enable effectiveness.

Guest dog14787

Interesting.

Before the season started, you couldn't wait to see Edwards and Spiller in action. They were going to rip it up.

And now you're being critical of Spiller's selection?

Whether or not Edwards makes the Jags any better remains to be seen. But there is no doubt benching Edwards made the Bills better.

And? What's your point?

Dog, you are too rich for words at times.

Dog, prior to 2009 season: Owens and Edwards. Great combo. Owens will see Trent as a true leader.

Dog, after 2009 season: Owens is a cancer. Can't catch a ball. Get rid of him.

Dog, during 2010 season: Bills management sucks. They shipped out Owens.

All I can say is WOW.

(1) Prior to the season, you were convinced Chan was going to resurrect Edwards career. Edwards problems were all due to the previous regime and the poor coaching. Now, you're being critical because they didn't draft a QB for the future.

(2) Sorry, but this statement is incorrect. Schobel retired. Schobel didn't want to make the decision, so he forced the Bills to make the decision for him.

The only dose of reality is how fast you changed your tune regarding the Bills management as soon as they benched and released your hero Trent.

In case you didn't notice the Bills are 0-4, soon to be 0-5. Your responses are garbage with zero input/insight and I'm not wasting my time to respond back to each one. I'll stand by my original posts.

I'll say one thing though, sure folks try to think positive,(most normal fans) but its a what have you done for me lately world, duh :doh:

Edited by dog14787