Gailey on Maybin

Dr. Trooth

Caught the daily dose of propaganda from BB.com, as you probably did.

Gailey states that the reason Maybin ain't been getting a lot of PT is cuz he needs to learn to play the run. Then goes on to say that he can be a good pass rusher and that it hurts a player when he's one dimensional.

What I'd like clarified is ... what is Maybin's "dimension"? It sure ain't pass rushing. He could be a good pass rusher? Hey, if Barack Obama could grow breasts, he'd be the first woman president.

If Maybin had been a 5th-7th round pick last year, he might not have even made the PS. And, if he had, he might still be there today.

When do you say he's just not worth a roster spot, cut your losses, and stop worrying about protecting somebody's reputation for selecting him in the first round to begin with. That reputation is already shot. What a waste of a perfectly good Bills uniform.

One of the reasons this team isn't all that good is they've been getting too many situational or developmental players. Maybin is one of them and I'd love to know who was for and against him in the front office last season.

I wish Gailey would really do what needs to be done in Year 0 of a rebuild: play the young guys so that he can determine who needs to remain and who needs to go in 2011. If he can't do that, it's shades of Week's 10-17 last season with Fewell.

Edited by BillsVet

"...he needs to learn to play the run... he can be a good pass rusher... it hurts a player when he's one dimensional."

Let me interpret this:

1. Maybin doesn't know how to play the run.

2. Maybin CAN BECOME a good pass rusher, but isn't one now.

3. It hurts a player when he sucks.

Done and done.

One of the reasons this team isn't all that good is they've been getting too many situational or developmental players. Maybin is one of them and I'd love to know who was for and against him in the front office last season.

I wish Gailey would really do what needs to be done in Year 0 of a rebuild: play the young guys so that he can determine who needs to remain and who needs to go in 2011. If he can't do that, it's shades of Week's 10-17 last season with Fewell.

I think the Bills have drafted a bit too much for need instead of just drafting good players; they needed a pass rush so they drafted the first player they though could provide one (Maybin), needed a "big" receiver and took one of the last ones left (Hardy), etc. The problem is do their skills translate to the next level.

Gailey moved on the QB situation sooner than I thought so I think in time you'll see some new faces. I think it is a delicate balance as a coach with a team like the Bills, in trying not to throw the veterans who are playing hard under the bus by giving guys playing time who might not have earned it.

imo....he's signed for a few more years under his original contract. He has, by all accounts a good worth ethic. I've seen some sick flashes of his speed during games. Granted the guy is probably 20 lbs light to be playing old in a 3-4. On the other he's a physical specimen, with true physical talent that you cant coach.

I'd say that a good Bills fan would show a little patience, and actually root for the guys development.

I mean, what's it gonna cost you? Other than costing you the opportunity to be nasty little bitchbags.

When do you say he's just not worth a roster spot, cut your losses, and stop worrying about protecting somebody's reputation for selecting him in the first round to begin with. That reputation is already shot. What a waste of a perfectly good Bills uniform.

You say he is not worth a roster spot when you can replace him with a better player and when the costs of cutting him outweigh the costs of keeping him.

Neither is the case right now as:

A. Is there someone on the roster who you think is gonna be the OLB we want who is not getting time due to Maybin?

B. Is there some FA who you would advocate is the answer to the Bills LB quandaries who we should cut Maybin to acquire.

Unless you have an answer to these questions you really are getting your panties all up in a wad and cutting him with no answer,

In addition to that there is the question of training Maybin. He does have nonsensical to deny speed and can rush well against good college talent, but is easily neutralized by pro because his game relies solely on speed.

The Bills seem to be trying to train Maybin in a way which some educators call catastrophic learning. Namely its a situation like most of us went through learning to ride a bicycle. Initially we are unsteady and muddled (some are so bad they even need training wheels) but you keep trying it and suddenly you just get it.

Not only does your muscle memory never forget how to do it but it is even hard to recreate your past problems.

This may be the case with Maybin and the initial investment was so high it would be stupid not to try to make it work, particularly without the need or ability to achieve goals by replacing him.

Do you know of some specific player who if we had him on the roster instead of Maybin we would make the playoffs?

Maybin is just too frail and weak to play the position.

Freeney is a great speed pass rusher, and he is 6'1" and 270lbs. Maybin is 6'4" and 250lbs (and probably listed heavier than he actually is). That's a huge difference, adding 3 inches of height yet taking away 20lbs. Maybin is closer in size to a more traditional linebacker - Clay Matthews is 6'3" 255. He's just a too skinny.

Maybin only could do 22 bench press reps at the combine. Orakpo did 31, which is a very wide margin. Also, although Maybin is a "speed" guy, Orakpo also ran a much faster 40 yard dash than Maybin.

Edited by NaPolian8693

You are all getting your panties in a wad over nothing. This franchise will look entirely different next season, or in 2012 depending on whether or not there is a lockout.

I thought what Chan said was pretty straightforward. If he wants to play he has to figure out how to stop the run game. The plan is there, all Maybin needs to do is execute. He isn't doing it, hence, he rides pine.

Maybin had tremendous potential when drafted as DE in the likes of Bruce Smith, he could run the arc better then anyone. Remember boys and girls, you can't teach speed!!

His faults were he had no moves, so if a defender got his hand on him it was over. Plus he can't stop the run and certainly didn't have a clue how to play OLB in the NFL.

The Bills used to have unheralded Darryl Tally behind Bruce Smith to cover all his mistakes in the run game, it took the better part of 5 years before Smith was a good run stopper besides being a great pass rusher

When he first got to Buffalo his head coach good ole Hank was constantly yelling at him because he played with no discipline, was fat overweight and out of shape. If you guys recall Bruce Smith had a drug problem, Bill Polian had him followed and constantly watched because of his "problem"...one more failed drug test and he would have been suspended for an entire season!!

For whatever reason Smith got in unbelievable shape, learned how to stop the run, gave up his cocaine addiction and became the greatest DE to ever play the game

The Bills KNEW that Maybin was going to be a 2-3 year project that he may NEVER develop what it takes to become an NFL OLB or DE...I'd say give the guy time to learn and develop!

P.S. I found it very peculiar that Jauron drafted a guy that he knew was going to take a few years to develop because he needed a pass rusher asap, not 3 years down the road. If you look at what he did his last year with the Bills it was like he was "imploding" and doing everything in his power to extirpate his team. Its as if he knew or wanted to be fired and was leaving a ''scorched earth" policy behind him. If I'm Ralph Wilson I wouldn't pay that guy an effing penny on the remainder of his contract as he was detrimental to the team in his last year.

Caught the daily dose of propaganda from BB.com, as you probably did.

Gailey states that the reason Maybin ain't been getting a lot of PT is cuz he needs to learn to play the run. Then goes on to say that he can be a good pass rusher and that it hurts a player when he's one dimensional.

What I'd like clarified is ... what is Maybin's "dimension"? It sure ain't pass rushing. He could be a good pass rusher? Hey, if Barack Obama could grow breasts, he'd be the first woman president.

If Maybin had been a 5th-7th round pick last year, he might not have even made the PS. And, if he had, he might still be there today.

I'll be woking a double today and won't be able to subject myself to Maybin or any of the other wasted Number 1's... This has already been a tough year....

You are all getting your panties in a wad over nothing. This franchise will look entirely different next season, or in 2012 depending on whether or not there is a lockout.

I thought what Chan said was pretty straightforward. If he wants to play he has to figure out how to stop the run game. The plan is there, all Maybin needs to do is execute. He isn't doing it, hence, he rides pine.

I don't know how anyone could get by Gailey's comments.

imo....he's signed for a few more years under his original contract. He has, by all accounts a good worth ethic. I've seen some sick flashes of his speed during games. Granted the guy is probably 20 lbs light to be playing old in a 3-4. On the other he's a physical specimen, with true physical talent that you cant coach.

I'd say that a good Bills fan would show a little patience, and actually root for the guys development.

I mean, what's it gonna cost you? Other than costing you the opportunity to be nasty little bitchbags.

Excellent post. My sentiments exactly. Seems as if people love to be miserable.

The situation is what it is. Bitching about it isn't going to make anything better. I'll choose to enjoy the little things, even if there aren't many of them. There are too many more important things to B word about.

Excellent post. My sentiments exactly. Seems as if people love to be miserable.

The situation is what it is. Bitching about it isn't going to make anything better. I'll choose to enjoy the little things, even if there aren't many of them. There are too many more important things to B word about.

Dear Wall Posters,

Seriously? We're comparing Maybin to these other players and claiming Maybin is weighing in at 250? The guy looks like a cornerback. Granted, very defined musculature, but COME ON!!! He's probably 220 soaking wet. Bruce Smith is being used as the past precedent for undersized linemen. Bruce came up 25 years ago and played at what - 250-260? And that's in a smaller NFL.

Maybe we should try Maybin at RB, I hear that's a position of need?

Still, Go Bills!!

Although the uniform would be particularly clean...

Our scouts are a bunch of bumpkins

It's been out for ages now that Modrak wanted Cushing, not Maybin, but was overruled by Jauron.

Not the scouts fault.

Freeney is a great speed pass rusher, and he is 6'1" and 270lbs. Maybin is 6'4" and 250lbs (and probably listed heavier than he actually is). That's a huge difference, adding 3 inches of height yet taking away 20lbs. Maybin is closer in size to a more traditional linebacker - Clay Matthews is 6'3" 255. He's just a too skinny.

Maybin only could do 22 bench press reps at the combine. Orakpo did 31, which is a very wide margin. Also, although Maybin is a "speed" guy, Orakpo also ran a much faster 40 yard dash than Maybin.

He put on a bit of weight in the offseason. He's extremely young with a fast metabolism. The assumption is that he can continue to put on weight. No reason to think he can't.

Most reports are that it was a Dick Jauron selection. Modrak and Nix have unsubtlely disassociated themselves from the pick. Modrak has indicated that he ranked Cushing higher than Maybin and Nix has made the comment that when drafting he doesn't prefer one year wonders.

It was bad enough that Dick Jauron was hired as a HC. It got worse when he was prematurely given an extension. And then it became an unmitigated disaster when DJ was given more authority on personnel decisions. The Bills had a direction: From going bad to worse.

Lol fast metabolism.

He's a bust guys. Don't overthink it. It happens.

Everyone made a terrible mistake drafting him. He will never be a contributor. Use your eyes. Players have it or they don't.

Just save your breath on the whole 'put on 20 more pounds and learn to play the run' garbage.

He's just a garden variety bust - it wouldn't have even been such a big deal if we didn't reach on him like always. Oh well.

Lawrence Taylor was around 6'3" and 250 lb, a speed pass rusher at OLB. He played some decent football.

Lol fast metabolism.

He's a bust guys. Don't overthink it. It happens.

Everyone made a terrible mistake drafting him. He will never be a contributor. Use your eyes. Players have it or they don't.

Just save your breath on the whole 'put on 20 more pounds and learn to play the run' garbage.

He's just a garden variety bust - it wouldn't have even been such a big deal if we didn't reach on him like always. Oh well.

What you are basically saying is trust your eyes when watching and assessing this guy. Workout warriors are not necessarily good football players. His football IQ is so low that it doesn't register. Sooner or later the mistake will have to be acknowledged and acted on with a pink slip. The list of wasted picks gets longer and longer.

There are too many more important things to B word about.

I agree. In the grand scheme of things, there are many more important things. That's why I cringe when I read death wishes for the owner and such.

On the other hand, this is a Buffalo Bills football forum, so it seems 100% appropriate to B word about the dysfunctional Bills here. Given the accumulated results of so many failed decisions in recent years, it's getting harder and harder to find bright spots to go Polyanna on.

Thank you. Well stated.

Dear Wall Posters,

Seriously? We're comparing Maybin to these other players and claiming Maybin is weighing in at 250? The guy looks like a cornerback. Granted, very defined musculature, but COME ON!!! He's probably 220 soaking wet. Bruce Smith is being used as the past precedent for undersized linemen. Bruce came up 25 years ago and played at what - 250-260? And that's in a smaller NFL.

Maybe we should try Maybin at RB, I hear that's a position of need?

Still, Go Bills!!

Bruce's listed weight during the Super Bowl years was 278, which would be considered light for a 3-4 DE these days. Of course, Bruce's game was really that of a 4-3 DE, he just happened to play in a 3-4.