Andrew Luck is too smart

akm0404

You guys keep mentioning Cleveland, Detroit, and St Louis, but what about frickin Green Bay? That team used to be like going to the Siberia of the NFL. When I was growing up, I often had to remind myself that they even had a team. They were NEVER on television until Don Makowski gave them a little bit of swagger, and then obviously Favre and Reggie White came along in '92 and '93, respectively, and all of sudden that team was on the map for the first time in like 15-20 years. But I don't remember that team being relevant even a LITTLE bit when I was growing up. Now that they've been a winning franchise for the past two decades, players want to go there. But don't tell me that playing in Green Bay is any more desirable than Western NY in any aspect other than franchise success.

Ask Brian Brohm how staying in school worked out for his draft status??? Luck would be insane not to come out if he projects #1 overall. Plus his coach is a very hot commodity and there is no guarantee Harbaugh will be back with Stanford in 2011. Only way Luck doesn't come out for the draft is if there isn't a draft due to a lockout.

No way, it's not every day you have a chance to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft. I don't know college football, so I don't know who the overall number 1 pick should be. Why would he risk a injury in another year of college, or even risk a new CBA with a rookie salary cap when he can take 50 million and start right away. If he decided to stay in college, then he's really not as smart as we all think, and we really don't want him anyway.

I biggest problem with Buffalo is that all the locals have an inferior complexs, why I don't know? I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but I did for many years, and I been all over the world, and in my opinion the peolpe and places in western N.Y. are just as good if not better then most places. He would be lucky to be able to call Buffalo home.

With the threat of a NFL lockout looming and the prospect of joining the Bills, Luck will, in my opinion, stay in school for his senior year. Problem for him is the Bills will probably have the #1 overall pick in 2012 as well. Dilemma- what if Luck does stay in school? Do you draft Mallett? My guess is the Bills did not draft a QB in 2010 because of all the prospects coming out in 2011. Since the Bills always do the wrong thing, what exactly will they do? My guess is they draft a RB first overall next year and take a small, slow, spread offense type QB in the 5th round. I'm only half kidding.

I firmly believe that Andrew Luck is the class of college quarterbacks, from the perspective of NFL potential.

He has the size, strength, speed, and intelligence to be successful on the next level.

The problem is, he is too smart.

If and when the Bills secure the #1 pick in the draft (or the #2 pick, with the team in front of them not needing a quarterback), Andrew Luck will absolutely choose to stay in school to prevent himself from being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No quarterback with a modicum of sense and any other options would declare for the draft to be selected by the Buffalo Bills. Doing so would only serve to cost him countless millions of dollars, and a person of Luck's intelligence will simply stick it out another year so he can be drafted by a real NFL-caliber organization, in any media market besides Buffalo.

As sad as it makes me to type this, Andrew Luck will not be the next Buffalo Bills quarterback.

Perhaps we will have a chance at Ryan Mallett, as he will be declaring for the draft no matter what. I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Don't pretend that Luck won't look to see which organization he'd be drafted by, and decide to stay away from Buffalo like the plague.

Yeah, 'cause next year the team that gets the first pick in the draft will doubtless have gone 13 -3 and will be a really excellent team.

Dude, that's what happens to high draft picks. They go to lousy teams. It's life.

If he stays in school it will be for one reason, that he wanted to stay in school. He has already indicated that he's likely to stay in school.

If Luck stays in college and extra year to avoid the Bills, there might be a lockout and the Bills could be set up to draft number one overall again, and take him the second time around. Even if there isn't a lockout, the Bills can just go 0-16 for a second straight year and lock him up.

Sometimes there is no avoiding your destiny.

Edited by NaPolian8693

I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Have you ever heard him speak? He sounds more like he's from the streets than "good ol' boy southerner"

4 of the top 1o most wealthy Americans are from Arkansas so hows that for good ol' boy.

Mallett is ahead of Luck as an NFL caliber QB anyhow.

Have you ever heard him speak? He sounds more like he's from the streets than "good ol' boy southerner"

4 of the top 1o most wealthy Americans are from Arkansas so hows that for good ol' boy.

Mallett is ahead of Luck as an NFL caliber QB anyhow.

Watch Mallett against Bama this weekend and tell me he's NFL caliber. He sucks against quality teams, just like Bledsoe.

Since Jim Harbaugh and Jim Kelly had that alleged 'fisticuffs' maybe Harbaugh will persuade Luck to stay at Stanford another year? :unsure:

I posed a question on Coach Sal's stream this week: If the Bills have the option of Luck/Locker/Mallett to draft next spring, who do they take?  Assuming Chan is back for another season (no reason to think otherwise right now), which QB would he prefer for his offense?

What do you think?

they will undoubtedly take the one that will bust the worst.

With how Chan evaluated the current QBs, why does anyone think he has a clue what makes a good QB 

Luck has to come out or lose out on millions, why because of a looming rookie cap...$60 million or wait until the rookies are capped thats foolish no agent would advise him to leave big money on the table... Welcome to the Buffalo Bills Mr. Luck like it or not it's about $$$$$$.

Luck has to come out or lose out on millions, why because of a looming rookie cap...$60 million or wait until the rookies are capped thats foolish no agent would advise him to leave big money on the table... Welcome to the Buffalo Bills Mr. Luck like it or not it's about $$$$$$.

actually, 2011 draftees will get contracts according to the new rookie pay scale (whatever it is). collective bargaining agreement ends in march.

Luck is staying another year

Don't know how much of a factor not wanting to play in Buffalo will affect Luck's decision. But if he is the clear top talent at QB and the Bills have the #1 overall pick, the Bills would be fools not try and hire Harbaugh and make it a package deal to entice Luck to leave.

That's certainly a good idea in theory but The Bills all but handed Harbaugh the vacant Head Coaching position and he turned them down. It's pretty rare for a college coach angling for an NFL gig one day would ever turn down a pro job, but he didn't think this organization was worth it. You have to think he's whispering in Luck's ear about his opinions on the franchise.

I'm mixed on whether Matthew Stafford will ever truly be a franchise QB. But I loved that he begged for the Lions to draft him even with all their issues and the national perception of Detroit. If you're the #1 pick, you're goign to get paid a ton of money and mostly have a great belief in your abilities. I highly doubt you risk ruining your pro prospects by staying in school (like Leinart) to avoid being drafted by a team. It's just stupid.

That's certainly a good idea in theory but The Bills all but handed Harbaugh the vacant Head Coaching position and he turned them down. It's pretty rare for a college coach angling for an NFL gig one day would ever turn down a pro job, but he didn't think this organization was worth it. You have to think he's whispering in Luck's ear about his opinions on the franchise.

I think the Bills job would be a lot more appealing to Harbaugh if he could coach his star pupil.

I think the Bills job would be a lot more appealing to Harbaugh if he could coach his star pupil.

That makes less than no sense. If Harbaugh thinks the organization is a dead end then there's nothing they can do to change his perception, aside from a whole sale sea change in operations to satisfy his specific concerns. Plus, are the Bills going to fire Gailey after just one season? And try to lure in Harbaugh, again, after he publicly dismissed them? Maybe if we trade for Tom Brady we can lure Bill Belichick, too.

Since Jim Harbaugh and Jim Kelly had that alleged 'fisticuffs' maybe Harbaugh will persuade Luck to stay at Stanford another year? :unsure:

I posed a question on Coach Sal's stream this week: If the Bills have the option of Luck/Locker/Mallett to draft next spring, who do they take? Assuming Chan is back for another season (no reason to think otherwise right now), which QB would he prefer for his offense?

What do you think?

I would take Luck as the first pick , then trade him for an existing good QB and some draft choices

I firmly believe that Andrew Luck is the class of college quarterbacks, from the perspective of NFL potential.

He has the size, strength, speed, and intelligence to be successful on the next level.

If and when the Bills secure the #1 pick in the draft (or the #2 pick, with the team in front of them not needing a quarterback), Andrew Luck will absolutely choose to stay in school to prevent himself from being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No quarterback with a modicum of sense and any other options would declare for the draft to be selected by the Buffalo Bills. Doing so would only serve to cost him countless millions of dollars, and a person of Luck's intelligence will simply stick it out another year so he can be drafted by a real NFL-caliber organization, in any media market besides Buffalo.

As sad as it makes me to type this, Andrew Luck will not be the next Buffalo Bills quarterback.

Perhaps we will have a chance at Ryan Mallett, as he will be declaring for the draft no matter what. I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Don't pretend that Luck won't look to see which organization he'd be drafted by, and decide to stay away from Buffalo like the plague.

Then Stafford and Bradford wouldn't have let themselves be drafted by the Lions and the Rams, if thou catchest my drift, and I thinkest thou doth.

You're not coming off much better.

I believe that if you put together an offensive line that can open holes and also protect the QB then anyone can play quarterback. Trade away the pick and bring in some offensive line studs, then go after maybe Boise States kid or even Jake Locker if his stock keeps droping. Drafting college quarterbacks is such a crap shoot anyway. All we need is an adequate QB to go with a potentially awesome run game (if we can create holes for them to run through)!

Luck just threw a beaut of a td pass. Just put it up where his tight end could make a play on it.

It's exactly the kind of throw we haven't seen a Bills QB make since... I don't know, maybe Bledsoe to Campbell at the Giants forever ago. Luck is the real deal.

I love when people give their opinion on a situation as if it were fact. Do you have any inside information regarding the situation? Have you been advising him and giving him a couple grand in return for being his agent when he declares for the draft. Perhaps Jake Locker going from top 5 pick if he came out last year to potentially playing himself out of the first round with his Trent Edwardian performance against Nebraska(4 for 20---68 yards, 3 ints) is going to be enough from dissuading Luck from playing Russian Roulette with his career and payday. Either way, I doubt who has the #1 pick in the draft matters. If that was the case Stafford would have stayed in school as well, since playing for a team that went 0-16 the year before would have been worse than playing with the Bills. The Bills have quite a bit of talent on the offensive side of the ball when we have a QB to throw it to them(see yesterday for proof), and I am intrigued to see what they are going to be able to do when Nelson comes back to give us a deep threat at TE with Gailey calling some plays for him and Fitz actually throwing the ball.

I believe that if you put together an offensive line that can open holes and also protect the QB then anyone can play quarterback. Trade away the pick and bring in some offensive line studs, then go after maybe Boise States kid or even Jake Locker if his stock keeps droping. Drafting college quarterbacks is such a crap shoot anyway. All we need is an adequate QB to go with a potentially awesome run game (if we can create holes for them to run through)!

This is just rubbish. You don't pass on franchise QB's for lineman. Give me a break. The line looked fine yesterday with a real QB back there, and likely will the rest of the year. Funny how receivers all of a sudden figured out how to get open after 2 games. Edwards is far from an NFL QB...

Edited by matter2003

There are several factors involved here. First, there isn't 1 redshirt sophomore QB who went pro and succeeded. All of quality QB's with the exception of Aaron Rodgers played 4 years in college. Second, the money may change this year if there's a provision in the new CBA to cap rookie pay. Third, Luck is indeed a smart guy who's being advised by a former NFL QB himself in Jim Harbaugh. Fourth, underclassmen have to declare by mid January and by that time he'll have a better idea of his destination should he enter the draft.

As for Mallett, I don't know a lot about him. But the notion that "dumb jock good ol' boy southerner" doesn't work is preposterous. Brett Favre and Peyton Manning both have an accent but no one doubts/doubted them in their primes.

Or, it may change next year, which means if Luck really wants to cash in, he should come out in 2011.

Or, it may change next year, which means if Luck really wants to cash in, he should come out in 2011.

The CBA will expire before the 2011 draft takes place. Luck and all possible 2011 draftees would be getting paid under the new rules anyway (which will likely include a rookie salary cap). Luck is staying until 2012.

The CBA will expire before the 2011 draft takes place. Luck and all possible 2011 draftees would be getting paid under the new rules anyway (which will likely include a rookie salary cap). Luck is staying until 2012.

I did not know that, Ozy, thank you.

Additionally, you're a jerk for setting up Dr. Manhatten the way you did. :thumbsup:

:lol:

jk - non Watchman will not know.

I agree with most of what you say, however, with the crazy amounts of money being paid to top picks, I don't think Luck would lose major money coming to Buffalo. Peyton went to Indy, not exactly a media hotbed, and became the face of the NFL because he won (and cause he had a goofy charisma).

He is the guy the Bills would want I think, but there's several factors working against him coming out. 1) He comes from a wealthy family, no need for money 2) Loves school 3) Possibily going to Bills

We would have to have, pardon the pun, some Dumb Luck for that to happen!

Edited by Cookiemonster

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading the latest SI article about the Harbaugh brothers, and I was curious about the comment that said Jim H. went after Jim Kelly when Kelly supposedly insinuated that Jim H was not giving 100% effort (something like that). So does anyone know what the full story is behind this?