Andrew Luck is too smart

akm0404

I firmly believe that Andrew Luck is the class of college quarterbacks, from the perspective of NFL potential.

He has the size, strength, speed, and intelligence to be successful on the next level.

The problem is, he is too smart.

If and when the Bills secure the #1 pick in the draft (or the #2 pick, with the team in front of them not needing a quarterback), Andrew Luck will absolutely choose to stay in school to prevent himself from being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No quarterback with a modicum of sense and any other options would declare for the draft to be selected by the Buffalo Bills. Doing so would only serve to cost him countless millions of dollars, and a person of Luck's intelligence will simply stick it out another year so he can be drafted by a real NFL-caliber organization, in any media market besides Buffalo.

As sad as it makes me to type this, Andrew Luck will not be the next Buffalo Bills quarterback.

Perhaps we will have a chance at Ryan Mallett, as he will be declaring for the draft no matter what. I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Don't pretend that Luck won't look to see which organization he'd be drafted by, and decide to stay away from Buffalo like the plague.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was in Luck's shoes, I'd think about doing that, too. Though Jim Kelly thought the same thing coming out; he decided to try his luck in the USFL even though he was drafted by the Bills. Since then he's become a local superstar after a HOF NFL career, and married a Buffalo gal. He's lived here ever since, and remains pretty devoted to WNY. Maybe Kelly can take Luck to lunch like he did Tebow, and "persuade" him somehow! :)

I firmly believe that Andrew Luck is the class of college quarterbacks, from the perspective of NFL potential.

He has the size, strength, speed, and intelligence to be successful on the next level.

If and when the Bills secure the #1 pick in the draft (or the #2 pick, with the team in front of them not needing a quarterback), Andrew Luck will absolutely choose to stay in school to prevent himself from being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No quarterback with a modicum of sense and any other options would declare for the draft to be selected by the Buffalo Bills. Doing so would only serve to cost him countless millions of dollars, and a person of Luck's intelligence will simply stick it out another year so he can be drafted by a real NFL-caliber organization, in any media market besides Buffalo.

As sad as it makes me to type this, Andrew Luck will not be the next Buffalo Bills quarterback.

Perhaps we will have a chance at Ryan Mallett, as he will be declaring for the draft no matter what. I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Don't pretend that Luck won't look to see which organization he'd be drafted by, and decide to stay away from Buffalo like the plague.

There are several factors involved here. First, there isn't 1 redshirt sophomore QB who went pro and succeeded. All of quality QB's with the exception of Aaron Rodgers played 4 years in college. Second, the money may change this year if there's a provision in the new CBA to cap rookie pay. Third, Luck is indeed a smart guy who's being advised by a former NFL QB himself in Jim Harbaugh. Fourth, underclassmen have to declare by mid January and by that time he'll have a better idea of his destination should he enter the draft.

As for Mallett, I don't know a lot about him. But the notion that "dumb jock good ol' boy southerner" doesn't work is preposterous. Brett Favre and Peyton Manning both have an accent but no one doubts/doubted them in their primes.

As for Mallett, I don't know a lot about him. But the notion that "dumb jock good ol' boy southerner" doesn't work is preposterous. Brett Favre and Peyton Manning both have an accent but no one doubts/doubted them in their primes.

Yeah, my description of my gut feeling on Mallett was hard to describe. Peyton definitely did not come across as a dumb southerner. I guess maybe I'm trying to describe that he sounds like a meathead jock - just didn't come off in his post-game interview as a cerebral, sharp guy, that's all. No offense to the South intended :)

Since Jim Harbaugh and Jim Kelly had that alleged 'fisticuffs' maybe Harbaugh will persuade Luck to stay at Stanford another year? :unsure:

I posed a question on Coach Sal's stream this week: If the Bills have the option of Luck/Locker/Mallett to draft next spring, who do they take? Assuming Chan is back for another season (no reason to think otherwise right now), which QB would he prefer for his offense?

What do you think?

There are several factors involved here. First, there isn't 1 redshirt sophomore QB who went pro and succeeded. All of quality QB's with the exception of Aaron Rodgers played 4 years in college. Second, the money may change this year if there's a provision in the new CBA to cap rookie pay. Third, Luck is indeed a smart guy who's being advised by a former NFL QB himself in Jim Harbaugh. Fourth, underclassmen have to declare by mid January and by that time he'll have a better idea of his destination should he enter the draft.

Too small a sample-How many redshirt sophomores were the top QB in college & came out early? I can't think of any who were highly rated in the draft. The only 1st rounder I can think of is Tommy Maddox, he came out in what is almost now a different era for underclass QBs.

It's not true that all the quality QBs except Rodgers played 4 years. There's Roethlisburger and some young guns like Sanchez, Bradford etc who are now getting drafted higher. Bledsoe had a decent career coming to the NFL early. I used to dismiss underclassmen, but in the last few years the game has changed where there are now good ones coming out early too.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

I agree with most of what you say, however, with the crazy amounts of money being paid to top picks, I don't think Luck would lose major money coming to Buffalo. Peyton went to Indy, not exactly a media hotbed, and became the face of the NFL because he won (and cause he had a goofy charisma).

He is the guy the Bills would want I think, but there's several factors working against him coming out. 1) He comes from a wealthy family, no need for money 2) Loves school 3) Possibily going to Bills

You've articulated your point well. Excellent use of verbiage and control of the English language; however, it my be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If that were the case, no underclassmen would ever declare. Especially those with elite collegiate level talent as they all would know they would be getting drafted by a sub-mediocre team.

It really doesnt matter when Luck comes out because I'm sure we will be able to reach him in the 2012 draft as well. Too bad for him he can't pick his draft spot. Sorry, Luck you may be coming to the B-Lo whenever you decice to declare yourself eligible.

Peyton and Eli Manning made it clear that they were only interested in teams that would not jeopardize them physically. If Luck sees the same offensive line we're putting on the field to protect TE/Fitz/Brohm, I think he will be reluctant to come. Which is okay as I believe we should address the O tackle situation first and foremost and it looks like there will be some real quality tackles worthy of a high first round pick next year. Come to think of it there might be some quality tackles in round 2 and we could do worse than picking OT's in both rounds.

Luck will almost certainly be a top 5 pick whether he comes out early or not. He will likely be going to a team that is trying to rebuild/turn things around. The Bills qualify, but so too do a number of other struggling teams. Don't see the point of speculating whether he has a particular dislike for the City of Buffalo at this time.

You've articulated your point well. Excellent use of verbiage and control of the English language; however, it my be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If that were the case, no underclassmen would ever declare. Especially those with elite collegiate level talent as they all would know they would be getting drafted by a sub-mediocre team.

Sorry buddy, but NFL players understand the economics of the game, as evidenced by the fact that big name free agents and coaches refuse to come here. It is the result of a combination of factors - the region's economic viability, the abysmal track record of the owner/front office, weather, etc. Buffalo is the bottom of the barrel, as far as destinations for an NFL player. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

Your assertion is that because of this, no underclassman would ever declare. That is not a well thought out statement. There are a host of reasons why underclassmen declare for the draft. And, the vast, vast, vast majority of declaring NFL prospects aren't able to predict with any degree of certainty where they will end up drafted. Potential #1 picks are able to make this prediction with greater certainty.

Further, since Andrew Luck was born to a family with greater than average means (especially when compared to his peers at the college football level), the necessity to "get his" is much lower. That, when combined to his purported affinity for the college lifestyle make me think that when adding up all of the negatives that coming to Buffalo brings him economically and personally, he'll opt to stay at Stanford for another year.

Luck will almost certainly be a top 5 pick whether he comes out early or not. He will likely be going to a team that is trying to rebuild/turn things around. The Bills qualify, but so too do a number of other struggling teams. Don't see the point of speculating whether he has a particular dislike for the City of Buffalo at this time.

Since he is likely to be a top 5 pick this year or the following year, why WOULDN'T he hold out for a better organization, city, region? Washington picked in the top 5 last year, and trust me, your average top-tier NFL prospect would be a million times happier playing in Washington than Buffalo :cry:

Edited by akm0404