Andrew Luck is too smart

akm0404

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe that Andrew Luck is the class of college quarterbacks, from the perspective of NFL potential.

He has the size, strength, speed, and intelligence to be successful on the next level.

The problem is, he is too smart.

If and when the Bills secure the #1 pick in the draft (or the #2 pick, with the team in front of them not needing a quarterback), Andrew Luck will absolutely choose to stay in school to prevent himself from being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No quarterback with a modicum of sense and any other options would declare for the draft to be selected by the Buffalo Bills. Doing so would only serve to cost him countless millions of dollars, and a person of Luck's intelligence will simply stick it out another year so he can be drafted by a real NFL-caliber organization, in any media market besides Buffalo.

As sad as it makes me to type this, Andrew Luck will not be the next Buffalo Bills quarterback.

Perhaps we will have a chance at Ryan Mallett, as he will be declaring for the draft no matter what. I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Don't pretend that Luck won't look to see which organization he'd be drafted by, and decide to stay away from Buffalo like the plague.

You know Jim Kelly felt the same way when he was drafted. Look at him then and now. He's a Bill all the way. Most people look at Buffalo as a run down dirty city with nothing to do, with a winter that runs from October through May. I know because being in the military for 20 yrs I meet people who talk about Buffalo all the time. Buffalo is a city that grows on people and has more sunny days on average than Memphis TN. It has all four seasons and the snow fall isn't half as much as people make it to be. Try living in ME and see who gets more snow. I'm sure his agent will be putting in words about every possible city and team. The ups and downs, and how the team operates. Buffalo gets a bad rap know matter what the situation, and it starts with the people. Buffalo has a great fan base, but the people in Buffalo complain about everything, and other people in cities hear this. Through in some politicians who can't even land a second hand sports store and you get bad raps.. If people wanted a guy to come to Buffalo, then they should welcome them and let them know. Not say how bad Buffalo is and saying a smart person wouldn't want to come there, then what's that make you and everyone else? Not smart people because we cheer for one of the worst teams?????

I agree that he probably stays in school another year regardless of which team is picking #1.

Besides his desire to graduate before going pro and the murky NFL labor situation, he's learned that there isn't much risk in staying another year. Essentially the worst thing that could happen to a top NFL prospect did happen to Sam Bradford. He suffered a major injury in the first game of the season and didn't play another game. Still went #1 overall. QB talent will get paid.

Wait just a second. I can think of one "dumb jock good ol' boy southerner" who has done pretty well for himself - Brett Farve. Just because someone is from the south doesn't make them an idiot. And there's Bradshaw too from Louisiana.

Let's see, Trent went to Stanford, Jauron to Yale, but let's not go there.

Perhaps we will have a chance at Ryan Mallett, as he will be declaring for the draft no matter what. I hope he matures a lot between now and then, should we select him, as right now he comes off like a dumb jock good ol' boy southerner.

Wow. Fans from a blue-collar town ragging on a guy from a blue-collar part of the country. Solid. Maybe you'd be more comfortable in Cowboy Nation, with their $1 billion stadium and Hollywood girlfriends.

Luck is the next Manning/Marino/Kelly sure thing if you could ever say such a thing. He runs a pro style play action offense at Stanford. Great arm strength, accuracy, work ethic, a huge brain, and he can run. To me he's head and shoulders above Mallett or any other QB prospect that's come out for several years. The last time I was this high on a guy prior to the college season ending was Ngata. Still want to cry over passing on a decade long defensive mountain. Not sure if Luck will declare or not, but I hope potentially going to the Bills won't adjust his thinking. Players of his talent always go to low end teams. He has an opportunity here like Kelly had, to be a legend, more then a QB, but a legend. The task is daunting, but the true greats seek out such challenges. If he stays I expect it to be more because Stanford and JH then Buffalo or the team he might go to.

How attractive we are to free agents and top draft picks has nothing to do with how "smart" the players are, or the fact that B-lo is a cold weather city, or that our economy is in the crapper, etc, etc. It has to do with whether you are a WINNING franchise or not a winning franchise. Back in the late 90s we had no problem attracting free agents. Even into the TD years, still not far removed from the success of the late 90s, we were able to bring in quite a few FA players that a whole lot of us were excited about. Unfortunately, now e're so far removed from the playoffs and anything resembling consistent winning, that yeah, it may be very true that we are way down on the list in terms of desirable destinations for top players. When we fix that, we'll be able to bring good players in here again without any trouble just like we did before.

I firmly believe that Andrew Luck is the class of college quarterbacks, from the perspective of NFL potential.

He has the size, strength, speed, and intelligence to be successful on the next level.

If and when the Bills secure the #1 pick in the draft (or the #2 pick, with the team in front of them not needing a quarterback), Andrew Luck will absolutely choose to stay in school to prevent himself from being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No quarterback with a modicum of sense and any other options would declare for the draft to be selected by the Buffalo Bills. Doing so would only serve to cost him countless millions of dollars, and a person of Luck's intelligence will simply stick it out another year so he can be drafted by a real NFL-caliber organization, in any media market besides Buffalo.

As sad as it makes me to type this, Andrew Luck will not be the next Buffalo Bills quarterback.

Don't pretend that Luck won't look to see which organization he'd be drafted by, and decide to stay away from Buffalo like the plague.

Get a grip, you need to see a doctor. You're just looking for reasons to be sad. AND you show that you don't understand how the NFL works. Number 1 draft picks ALWAYS go to bad teams --and they always make tons of money. Buffalo may be small market, but in the NFL it's relative. Small market team with a decade long losing streak and they're still worth more than .5 Billion $. Is Detroit, a better place to be than Buffalo? Watch the news! Oakland? Cleveland? Small rust-belt cities across the country are struggling economically and athletically. there are guys who will feel blessed to play pro football anywhere anytime and there are guys who have been worshipped for their athletic success since they were toddlers and aren't good teammates wherever they land. If Luck is the guy people think he is -- he'll be happy to be in Buffalo and make us a better team -- and maybe help you step away from the edge.

Sorry buddy, but NFL players understand the economics of the game, as evidenced by the fact that big name free agents and coaches refuse to come here. It is the result of a combination of factors - the region's economic viability, the abysmal track record of the owner/front office, weather, etc. Buffalo is the bottom of the barrel, as far as destinations for an NFL player. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

Your assertion is that because of this, no underclassman would ever declare. That is not a well thought out statement. There are a host of reasons why underclassmen declare for the draft. And, the vast, vast, vast majority of declaring NFL prospects aren't able to predict with any degree of certainty where they will end up drafted. Potential #1 picks are able to make this prediction with greater certainty.

Further, since Andrew Luck was born to a family with greater than average means (especially when compared to his peers at the college football level), the necessity to "get his" is much lower. That, when combined to his purported affinity for the college lifestyle make me think that when adding up all of the negatives that coming to Buffalo brings him economically and personally, he'll opt to stay at Stanford for another year.

Since he is likely to be a top 5 pick this year or the following year, why WOULDN'T he hold out for a better organization, city, region? Washington picked in the top 5 last year, and trust me, your average top-tier NFL prospect would be a million times happier playing in Washington than Buffalo :cry:

AKM is right on. Just stop and think how many of your friends, family and classmates, have left the Buffalo area over the last 20 years. Many of the People on the board's usernames are "Bills Fan in (Name of City here.)"

Almost no one wants to live in Buffalo if they have an option.

(Don't try to argue this point, the population of Erie County New York has declined 10% since 1980. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&idim=county:36029&dl=en&hl=en&q=erie+county+new+york+population; while the population of the US has increased 35%)

However if you look at it from a positive POV. If Luck has faith in his talent and believes he will have support in the Nix regime; taking a constant loser like the Bills and turning them into a winner will reap many rewards. I can't imagine the Bills are that screwed up that wouldn't shell out big dollars to a true Franchise QB.

On the Negative a Top 5 QB is guaranteed a certain amount of money, more than many starting QBs. Salary wouldn't be a concern for Luck if he goes Top 3 or Top 10, endorsements will be much higher in other markets. Look at Mark Sanchez, not much substance but has already cached in on millions more in endorsement deals. Bruce Smith had a Nike add and I believe Pizza Hut. I don't remember Kelly, Thurman, or Reed getting much national endorsement attention but Aikman, E. Smith, and Irvin got much more national attention in the 90s.

Its not likely that Luck will come out this year for many reasons but AKM does make valid points that if Buffalo were the highest drafting franchise that is need of a QB it would look even better to stay in college an extra year.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

You can't be serious. So he'll gladly go to Oakland or Cleveland or whatever team that is sorry enough to be picking first? Come on man. Give yourself a break; you will make yourself sick with all of that negativity.

Get a grip, you need to see a doctor. You're just looking for reasons to be sad. AND you show that you don't understand how the NFL works. Number 1 draft picks ALWAYS go to bad teams --and they always make tons of money. Buffalo may be small market, but in the NFL it's relative. Small market team with a decade long losing streak and they're still worth more than .5 Billion $. Is Detroit, a better place to be than Buffalo? Watch the news! Oakland? Cleveland? Small rust-belt cities across the country are struggling economically and athletically. there are guys who will feel blessed to play pro football anywhere anytime and there are guys who have been worshipped for their athletic success since they were toddlers and aren't good teammates wherever they land. If Luck is the guy people think he is -- he'll be happy to be in Buffalo and make us a better team -- and maybe help you step away from the edge.

In Detroit Martin Mayhew seems to have the Lions in the right direction, and Holmgren is now running the show in Cleveland.

Buffalo has had a double whammy as far as negatives for a decade now; Clueless leadership and a a tiny market.

Nix doesn't have the reputation of Holmgren maybe he can build one like Martin Mayhew is in the process of doing, however Mayhew went to Georgetown Law school and Nix studies under "The Lord of No Rings."

AKM is right on. Just stop and think how many of your friends, family and classmates, have left the Buffalo area over the last 20 years. Many of the People on the board's usernames are "Bills Fan in (Name of City here.)"

Almost no one wants to live in Buffalo if they have an option.

(Don't try to argue this point, the population of Erie County New York has declined 10% since 1980. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&idim=county:36029&dl=en&hl=en&q=erie+county+new+york+population; while the population of the US has increased 35%)

However if you look at it from a positive POV. If Luck has faith in his talent and believes he will have support in the Nix regime; taking a constant loser like the Bills and turning them into a winner will reap many rewards. I can't imagine the Bills are that screwed up that wouldn't shell out big dollars to a true Franchise QB.

On the Negative a Top 5 QB is guaranteed a certain amount of money, more than many starting QBs. Salary wouldn't be a concern for Luck if he goes Top 3 or Top 10, endorsements will be much higher in other markets. Look at Mark Sanchez, not much substance but has already cached in on millions more in endorsement deals. Bruce Smith had a Nike add and I believe Pizza Hut. I don't remember Kelly, Thurman, or Reed getting much national endorsement attention but Aikman, E. Smith, and Irvin got much more national attention in the 90s.

Its not likely that Luck will come out this year for many reasons but AKM does make valid points that if Buffalo were the highest drafting franchise that is need of a QB it would look even better to stay in college an extra year.

You talk like people move away from WNY because there's something inherently wrong with the place! More people in WNY have college degrees than in the past. Many of these people have jobs with large companies -- jobs that never were located in WNY. The lost jobs are from lost industries. You think aside from getting a paycheck, people choose to leave WNY? I'm sure there are a few sun worshippers that find warmer climates, but most people I know who came from NY would rather be there than where they are now.

BTW, Aikman, Irvin and Smith are winners and record setters. Don't you remember seeing OJ run through airports?

Luck may stay another year in school, but it won't be because he'd rather get drafted by Cleveland than Buffalo.

You talk like people move away from WNY because there's something inherently wrong with the place! More people in WNY have college degrees than in the past. Many of these people have jobs with large companies -- jobs that never were located in WNY. The lost jobs are from lost industries. You think aside from getting a paycheck, people choose to leave WNY? I'm sure there are a few sun worshippers that find warmer climates, but most people I know who came from NY would rather be there than where they are now.

BTW, Aikman, Irvin and Smith are winners and record setters. Don't you remember seeing OJ run through airports?

Luck may stay another year in school, but it won't be because he'd rather get drafted by Cleveland than Buffalo.

Thats a very positive way to view the situation.

I'm happy that there are some people still talkin' proud.

Thats a very positive way to view the situation.

I'm happy that there are some people still talkin' proud.

Thanks. BTW, you're being overly optimistic about Detroit and Cleveland. There has been less there in both places for the last decade than in Buffalo and there aren't any REAL signs of success in either place yet. I'm sure fans of those teams want to see the bright side of moral victories but you're giving Holmgren and Mayhew WAY too much credit, WAY too early.

Luck is the next Manning/Marino/Kelly sure thing if you could ever say such a thing. He runs a pro style play action offense at Stanford. Great arm strength, accuracy, work ethic, a huge brain, and he can run.

Hold on with the sure thing I remember 2 other QB's that the same thing was said about 1 is 3rd string in Denver the other is going to get his first start this week. Some of these QB's have coaches that are good enough to make that QB look like the second coming when its all in the playbook. We need to wait till the end of the college year before we say there is a sure thing and then wait till pro days or the combine is done other wise its just a who has a man crush on who right now.

Thanks. BTW, you're being overly optimistic about Detroit and Cleveland. There has been less there in both places for the last decade than in Buffalo and there aren't any REAL signs of success in either place yet. I'm sure fans of those teams want to see the bright side of moral victories but you're giving Holmgren and Mayhew WAY too much credit, WAY too early.

+1

You got to be kidding me with this thread. Like cleveland or detroit or st. louis is any better for that matter. Yet in the past decade each one of these teams have drafted #1. Two of them have picked a QB. BTW, how much winning tradition is in Detroit? Oh yea, none. Yet Matt Stafford went there and didn't put up a hissy fit about it, like Eli or John. Which also brings the point that it has only happened 2 times, that someone refused to play for who they got drafted for and demanded a trade. Andrew Luck, from seeing him play and talk on TV, does not come across at all like Eli or John. He's not cocky for one and he seems completely humble. I think this thread is a little bit of an over-reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Nix (yet.) I'm just sayin' if Nix traded Lee Evans & a 7th for 1st, 3rd and 6th round draft choices a la Roy Williams and drafted a RB that has an immediate impact like Best I'd be pretty high on Nix.

Its too early determine Holgren's success in Cleveland but no one can argue with Holmgren's track record. 9ers, GB w Favre, and Seagulls to the Super Bowl.

Its too early to determine if Nix is on the right or wrong track. I really hope right because its scary if he have another Dud President or GM or whatever the heck Nix is these days.

No way, it's not every day you have a chance to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft. I don't know college football, so I don't know who the overall number 1 pick should be. Why would he risk a injury in another year of college, or even risk a new CBA with a rookie salary cap when he can take 50 million and start right away. If he decided to stay in college, then he's really not as smart as we all think, and we really don't want him anyway.

I biggest problem with Buffalo is that all the locals have an inferior complexs, why I don't know? I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but I did for many years, and I been all over the world, and in my opinion the peolpe and places in western N.Y. are just as good if not better then most places. He would be lucky to be able to call Buffalo home.