Nix's Best Move As GM

DDD

Nix's best move as GM? Not trading Marshawn Lynch. That's right. Not trading Lynch. I didn't like the off-field issues either but he's has stayed out of trouble, hopefully for good. And no one can argue he runs hard on sunday and has truly earned his yards behind a patchwork O-line. I like Fred Jackson. CJ Spiller has skills but he's not an everydown back and certainly not built to run consistently between the tackles. For my money, Lynch is the best all-around everydown back on the team. The most Nix could get would be a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 2nd. But for me, I'll keep the guy that already has proven he can play in the NFL and is still young.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix was definitely smart not to move Lynch at an all-time low point in his value. Whether Marshawn remains a career Bill or not, he is more valuable to the team than the next Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright, or Duke Preston.

I respectfully disagree. If I were Nix...I would take a third round pick for Lynch in a heartbeat. Hell, I would even take a solid player and a late-round pick. We have plenty of needs on this team, and three very capable running backs. One of them is expendable.

Put it this way, man: All-Pro running back is traded for Ashton Youboty, or Trent Edwards, or Chris Ellis (all Bills third-rounders). Who wins that trade?

I too believe that Marshawn is a great back, atleast worthy of the #2 spot in the RB lineup. His only problem in his past has been field vision and finding the whole. Last year was a perfect example of that, Marshawn would get hung up at the line but Fred Jackson would come in and find the yards under the same condition. Watching Fred and Marshawn run together, they seem to get alot of production as a team. CJ will come in time, but he needs to work with Marshawn and Fred. Right now, Fred Jackson is the #1 back in my eyes. Reason being is he knows how to score with basically not much help, something alot of backs struggle with.

Let's fire Nix before he's finished his first year as GM. Gailey too as head coach. That'll show all the potential candidates how serious we are about building a winner. I mean who wouldn't want to work for a team that recognizes mistakes so quickly? :devil:

PTR

Nix's best move as GM? Not trading Marshawn Lynch. That's right. Not trading Lynch. I didn't like the off-field issues either but he's has stayed out of trouble, hopefully for good. And no one can argue he runs hard on sunday and has truly earned his yards behind a patchwork O-line. I like Fred Jackson. CJ Spiller has skills but he's not an everydown back and certainly not built to run consistently between the tackles. For my money, Lynch is the best all-around everydown back on the team. The most Nix could get would be a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 2nd. But for me, I'll keep the guy that already has proven he can play in the NFL and is still young.

If he really could have got a 3rd rounder then I am not so sure that hanging on to Lynch was the right thing. Can't believe that there was not a LB/OT/WR/TE on the board that couldn't somehow improve our talent and depth.

He has made very few moves. I could not tell you what his best is at this time.

I would agree with you if we didn't have so many other glaring needs or if Fred Jackson didn't show us last year that he can be an excellent everydown back. I would've pulled the trigger on a trade in one second if someone offered us a 2nd, or maybe even a 3rd plus a conditional pick. I think Shanahan and Belichick have shown the league that if you have a good qb and Oline then who carries the ball for you doesn't really matter.

Let me start by saying i like what Buddy has done to this point , but look at some of the things other teams have done (Pats-Eagles-Dolphins) and what we do and you can see why we are where we are . They make the tough decisions and pull the trigger while we sit and just point at the target !!

A lot of what we have now are reminents of the Jauron era . In the last couple of days i've read articles that have said they couldn't believe that Buffalo took Maybin at 11 with Orapko & Matthews still on the board (are they right in saying that ??) and look what they have done both are pro bowler i believe & what has Maybin done ?? Nothin but run his mouth .

We could have made a trade with Marshawn & got an extra draft pick for next year or a competent player for this year (maybe a LT - LB or O line depth), granted he is a good back, but we had as good or better back on the practice squad that we just lost to the Eagles . But like the QB thing we just stuck with what we had and may have let a say Tom Brady type player go by not taking a chance .

We could have went younger with Joique Bell (preseason Average 8.3 ypc) & had the same type of production or more than we do with M L . Only time will tell but i think letting him go was a HUGE mistake !!!

Look at Marshawns YPC -- usually 3.7 maybe 4 on a good day Yes he's strong he would be a great 3rd down and short or goal line back - Fred J is ALWAYS 4.0 -- 4.3 ypc that's who needs to be the lead back - Very Thurman Thomas like and very much a Buffalo type of guy . Remember what he did last year with a terrible O line .

I just hope Buddy makes better decisions in the future than the past powers that be have made & won't be afraid to take a chance on a player every once in a while instead of just staying with the so called established players on a team . ala Trent & Fitz through Brohm in sink or swim baby !!!

Edited by T master

Am I the only one that is not sold on Fred Jackson. Everyone talks up his stats from last year, and he had a nice season, but if you take away the game against Tampa and the Colts backups, he ran for less than 700 yards in the other 14 and had 2 td's all season. Lynch had back to back 1000 yard seasons with equally bad O lines and scored far more TD's. He has a real nose for the endzone I've always felt. I'm glad Lynch is still a Bill and hope he stays that way.

Edited by todzilla

I am glad to see somebody finally came to their senses. :worthy::thumbsup::D

Why trade him? Just so we have to draft a RB in 2 years to replace Fred Jackson as the starter?

CJ Spiller will probably end up a great player, but he will be a Reggie Bush-type player...Not an every down NFL RB.

Nix hasn't had a best move yet and probably won't. So far his short tenure has been a disaster. We all need to wait for his replacement before this team does any improving on the field.

I am glad to see somebody finally came to their senses. :worthy::thumbsup::D

Why trade him? Just so we have to draft a RB in 2 years to replace Fred Jackson as the starter?

CJ Spiller will probably end up a great player, but he will be a Reggie Bush-type player...Not an every down NFL RB.

Lynch's contract is up in two years, he wants out now so why would he stay when his contract is up? In his disturbed mind he has done nothing wrong to lose his starting job. I do think though, that with all things level, and if he ever got his head on straight, he is still the best back on this roster.

Nix hasn't had a best move yet and probably won't. So far his short tenure has been a disaster. We all need to wait for his replacement before this team does any improving on the field.

What a great point. It is brilliant to give a GM one offseason and two games to evaluate their ability. I do that to my employees. If they don't produce in one week, they are gone!

Nix was definitely smart not to move Lynch at an all-time low point in his value. Whether Marshawn remains a career Bill or not, he is more valuable to the team than the next Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright, or Duke Preston.

Put it this way, man: All-Pro running back is traded for Ashton Youboty, or Trent Edwards, or Chris Ellis (all Bills third-rounders). Who wins that trade?

If the standard is BILLS third rounders, I agree.

But if the choice is between a top-96 prospect coming out of college versus a guy at the deepest position on an otherwise horrible team, I think it makes a lot of sense.

However good Lynch is, the drop-off isn't that great in talent if he were to leave. A reasonably talented 3rd rounder at LB, offensive line, defensive line, or WR would be well worth it.