Nix's Best Move As GM

DDD

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix was definitely smart not to move Lynch at an all-time low point in his value. Whether Marshawn remains a career Bill or not, he is more valuable to the team than the next Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright, or Duke Preston.

Put it this way, man: All-Pro running back is traded for Ashton Youboty, or Trent Edwards, or Chris Ellis (all Bills third-rounders). Who wins that trade?

You have a point, if it's that the Bills don't know how to draft in the first three rounds.

Edited by Mr. WEO

For my money, Lynch is the best all-around everydown back on the team.

A fool and his money is soon parted. Fred Jackson is far and away the best back on this team. Lynch is average. If Spiller could block (the real reason he got buried) and Freddie was completely healthy, Lynch should be firmly planted on the bench.

The only thing Lynch has consistently proven is that he'll miss 2 holes for every one he hits. He's missing the one thing good/great RBs must have: vision.

If the standard is BILLS third rounders, I agree.

But if the choice is between a top-96 prospect coming out of college versus a guy at the deepest position on an otherwise horrible team, I think it makes a lot of sense.

However good Lynch is, the drop-off isn't that great in talent if he were to leave. A reasonably talented 3rd rounder at LB, offensive line, defensive line, or WR would be well worth it.

Remember that sometimes a 3rd round pick can be traded to move up in the earlier rounds like we should have done with Patrick Willis, the best linebacker in football that we were ONE pick away from. (the one that Marv said later he wouldn't have drafted anyway) Sorry, here I go again....

Let's fire Nix before he's finished his first year as GM. Gailey too as head coach. That'll show all the potential candidates how serious we are about building a winner. I mean who wouldn't want to work for a team that recognizes mistakes so quickly? :devil:

PTR

As always Promo I love it!!!! I detect a hint of sarcasm tho???? Thanks for the laugh

You have a point, if it's that the Bills don't know how to draft in the first three rounds.

Yes, the Bills have drafted worse than most teams, period. Their saving grace has been their ability to scour the UDFA ranks and find a few gems (and I don't just mean the guys from this year who might not make another NFL roster, but guys like Greer, Peters, etc).

Someone smarter than me with more time can run the numbers, but I'll still bet that the odds that a 3rd rounder nets you a top-15 starter, let alone a Pro Bowler, are pretty low. For that reason I don't like the idea of trading a proven asset for a grab-bag. Trading Evans would be an even worse idea for that same reason: all-time low in his value relative to his real value as a starting #1 WR respected in the league (though I know some don't believe he is a #1).

The reason a lot of people were able to swallow the Peters trade was that the Bills were still spinning a cheap commodity into gold, obtaining a #1 draft pick for a guy they didn't spend a draft pick on. The fact that they drafted a quality OL made that trade even better. The McGahee trade saw them turning a former first-rounder into two thirds, which was acceptable given that McGahee was publicly bad-mouthing the franchise and not giving effort in games. His performance since the trade cements the trade as a success for the Bills despite the picks, because they had a shot at two potential starters with them.

Conversely, turning a #11 pick like Lynch into a third rounder is backwards, IMO. He's maybe not worth #11 anymore [value def. taken down by last season and the personal issues]. On the football field, though, he is worth more than one third-rounder who may be a potential starter, yet may take years to grow. For example, we're just now seeing returns of any kind on Chris Ellis in year three, and I'm not going to argue that the returns are entirely positive, but this is at least a third-rounder who made the roster.

Historically, the Bills have been doing horrendous things with their picks; trading up and losing picks in panic moves to fill a positional need is one of them. Getting rid of assets for precious little is another, and I commend Nix for not going down that road.

Remember that sometimes a 3rd round pick can be traded to move up in the earlier rounds like we should have done with Patrick Willis, the best linebacker in football that we were ONE pick away from. (the one that Marv said later he wouldn't have drafted anyway) Sorry, here I go again....

That's a nice thought, but trades always require willing partners, a notion too often discounted on a football message board. Grabbing picks and counting on being able to trade them is not a strategy by itself. You only take those picks if they are going to make your football team better relative to the players you're giving up.

With all the "get er done Buddy's" around here, I'm guessing people just don't listen to what he says. I remember him saying that you build through the draft. With Whaley on board, I expect them to do that even more. Keep them till they're free agents, let them leave, get supplemental picks. Rinse, repeat.

I don't remember the Steelers giving up picks to get players or selling off their talent to rebuild faster. The only player I can remember San Diego going after in a trade was Chris Chambers from Miami for a #2 pick, and that failed miserably. I just don't expect this regime to be that active buying...or selling.

And giving Lynch away for a 3rd is almost more stupid that previous suggestions to go after Jason Campbell or Matt freakin Moore.

His best move will be when he resigns.

You got that right. Time to take a seat Grandpa and get a young and ambitious GM in here and take charge and build the team via Draft and Big Time Free Agents. The Good Ol' Boys mentality of this franchise is so embedded with the owner, it just breaks your heart as a fan. When you see other teams go out and build a team up right and correctly and this team year after year does the same ol garbage and try to sell it to us, the fans. It just breaks your heart and this is why this team has become as irrelevant as the lions or raiders. It's sad to think our owner won't go out and get new blood because he doesn't know them. Well Ralph, everything you've done up to this point has failed. You failed the team and the fans. It's time to go in a new direction, otherwise look forward to the same old crap year in and out from Good ol' Nix and Co.

A fool and his money is soon parted. Fred Jackson is far and away the best back on this team. Lynch is average. If Spiller could block (the real reason he got buried) and Freddie was completely healthy, Lynch should be firmly planted on the bench.

The only thing Lynch has consistently proven is that he'll miss 2 holes for every one he hits. He's missing the one thing good/great RBs must have: vision.

Good thing you have three. :o

Oops, did I say that out loud. Uh, excuse me. What I meant to say is, What holes? Maybe two out of three are two tight to squeeze into? :blush: O-Line?

Edited by Buffalokie

What a great point. It is brilliant to give a GM one offseason and two games to evaluate their ability. I do that to my employees. If they don't produce in one week, they are gone!

Not quite true. It's not like Nix was brand spanking new to this organization this season.

I'm not saying it makes sense to can him or Gailey at this point (in fact, quite the opposite).

What a great point. It is brilliant to give a GM one offseason and two games to evaluate their ability. I do that to my employees. If they don't produce in one week, they are gone!

One offseason with a draft, free agency, a need to re-sign players, the possibility of trades to fix obvious weaknesses, and two game that make Dick Jauron look exciting. If you would let one of your employees sit around for 9 months and do nothing, I fear for your business. Or maybe you work for the government.

First of all, I don't believe you have any employees.

Secondly, for people that do have subordinates, they might not fire their subordinates after a short period of poor performance but they will constantly evaluate and give feedback. I think most people are just saying, it doesn't look good for Nix and Gailey so far.

It's painfully obvious that Fred Jackson is our best running back. He has got to be pissed unless there is a sound reason for him not playing. I am only hoping that he didn't get the bulk of the carries last week because either A) Lynch was being shown to other teams for a possible trade or B) Jackson still needs time to heal more before carrying a heavy load. Fred Jackson averaged 4.5 yards a carry last season. In his few attempts last game he proved again that he sees the holes better then any other back on this team and he can make something out of nothing with his good vision and cut back ability. Last season he demonstrated that he is a very good receiver out of the back field. I will be shocked and upset if Fred is not featured this week.

I would trade our last 5 first round picks for one stud LT.

Now lets trade for McNiel before our scouts fock up another draft

EDIT:

I would trade our entire decade of 1st rounders for one stud LT. maybe even more. Go back and look at how pathetc it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills

Lynch is the best one!

Edited by Thoner7

We need a big name GM to get players and their agents to think we're serious about contending. Money just isn't the issue, guys want championship rings to show their kids and grandkids

We had a big name GM Tom Donahoe he is the primary reason we are in the mess we now are in. Tom Modrak was brought here by our big name general manager, how do you like his draft recommendations so far?