Gailey In Full Panic Mode?

yungmack

MOST Bills fans thought Edwards was beyond salvation. However, Chan Gailey, who was reputed to be a magician with, to be kind, less than stellar QBs, apparently thought otherwise. I don't know how he arrived at that assessment

You don't even know that he arrived at that assessment. You have no idea what he was thinking; you're simply making assumptions and then basing a whole belief system on them..

As far as you know he could have been thinking "Wow, I've got two pieces of flotsam here and 1 guy who might be able to help us in the future if I handle him correctly. I can't put my one guy with potential out there to get mutilated behind this OLine or I'll be ruining him the same way the previous administration ruined one of my pieces of flotsam. I'll hide my young guy at the #3 to protect him and then go with the piece of flotsam that has the better toolbox on the off chance a light might come on for him. I'm not married to the guy (who will be gone next year) so when he inevitably gets hurt or stinks it up, I'll just pull him and give my other piece of flotsam a shot. Hell, I might even go back to my original piece of flotsam down the road when my other piece of flotsam can't get anything done either. Neither guy is a long term solution and we're not going anywhere anyways so it doesn't really matter how much shuffling I do. The only reason I'm using those two pieces of flotsam is to absorb the pounding that I don't want my one guy with potential to take."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not always about the better player being on the field but who creates the better chemestry. There are numerous examples in the past few years to draw from.

Last week Raiders Bruce Gradkowski replaced Jason Campbell and won the game.

Two years ago Kerry Collins took the reins from V. Young and led the team to a solid season, only to be replaced by Young midway through last season and then Young shined.

Mixing parts and pieces in different combinations often times results in different outcomes. Perhaps Fitz brings 'something' to the table that Trent can't and it will result in at least a win this week.

Just my thoughts.

I dont feel like explaining this to you, but We have three running backs in a QB that turns into a retard on the field. Jackson and lynch are more productive so they are out on the field more then spiller. Also Chan is fed up with Edwards being the cancer of the team. I could go on, but I would just be ranting on how I hate Trent.

I agree with the cancer thing. Noone trusts trent he honestly has no balls and takes way to many sacks and just makes dumb decisons. I personally dont think fitz will be any better, but atleast hes different and atleast he shows emotion trent wont ever cut his !@#$ing justin bieber hair im just getting so sick of him even if fitzpatrick is just as bad, he is an emotional upgrade

Chan's not hitting the panic button. He knew Trent wasn't great from past performance. Chan has made the most of mediocre qb talent and the only way he could evaluate if Trent was fixable was through regular season games when the real bullets were flying. This is where Trent has failed in the past. Trent failed again and the experiment is over. Now Chan is moving on. Just glad he didn't wait longer than 2 games to do so.

I think if anyone is panicking it's some of the fans here.

Pilsner, do you really think the change in QB is going to make a significant difference? I am being serious and not trying to be a smart ass. Most reasonable fans can only conclude that it will be marginal at best. We all know what we get in Fitz. Hard nosed, tough, not afraid to wing the ball, and terribly inaccurate. That's why he is a career back up. Now, we fans should be happy with a career back up QB running the show? Let me tell you that I am not happy about having such a poor QB in our starting line up. It is what it is. Jerry Sullivan couldn't have said it any better. Hope he is listening because I give him permission to use my material.

You can go ahead and commend Gaily and Nix for starting a career back up QB after week 2. What a great move from a solid organization. We wonder why we haven't done a GD thing in ten years.

I welcome all posters to respond to my post. I cannot see how anyone even the biggest of homers can justify such ineptitude and willful neglect. Like I said from day one when I entered this forum. The organization has failed us fans. They continue to do so by not addressing key positions like QB and LT. I am tired of the lame ass excuses. You think that might have something to do with our ineffective last place offense? You bet it does and so much for the coach em up innovative guru Chump Gailey. He has failed us too. Go ahead and pat his asss for putting in Fitz but is he really saving his asss. The kitchen is only going to get hotter after we lose to the pats and the jets. Wonder what the heck you guys will be saying them? I have a picture in my head of Cam Cameron and the 1-15 Fins of a few years ago. Wondering if their fans were saying oh it's not his fault and he needs time...

We have become one of the worst organizations in football and it shows on and off the field. It's so frustrating to be a fan who really cares. I just wish I could be delusional and irrational as some of you because I know it must be much more fun thinking we might actually be good. However, as a realist and someone who takes into account all variables I cannot indeed believe your distortions and or lies. Wish I could.

P.S. I can't wait to read the next Jerry Sullivan article.

Edited by mpl6876

Players.

Players like Kyle Williams. Come FA, and Kyle thinks back about busting his tail to help his team win, only to have his coach tell him, yeah, don't even bother.

--OR---

Nix and Gailey can say what they say and continue to work hard and try to win, that's the honorable thing.

Now, behind the scenes they might be wringing their hands and banging their heads against the wall, but so long as they prefer backroom frustration to locker room mutiny, they're going to keep touting their players publicly, and telling guys like Kyle Williams, in private, that his services are gravely needed, and that he should keep up the good work.

I never said that the Bills should not talk about winning or publicly criticizing the players. I'm just saying that the organization owes it to the fans to be upfront after all of these years. And, I think Gailey would come off much better if he was a little more honest ( I know he is a blunt guy, but no matter how you spin it, this Edwards decision does not make him look all that great). I don't care one way or the other, the point of my initial post was to comment from the perspective of Gailey and Nix and question why they haven't just said, "listen, we are rebuilding, we are going to have bad games and we are going to have good games. And we are going to shake up the line up if someone doesn't perform. But, we are going to be a dominant football team soon and we will continue to work hard to get there."

I have confidence in Chan and Buddy, but this is a panic move. I know I am in the minority on this board, but (in my opinion), this is nothing more than making someone a scapegoat where the primarly problems are elsewhere. Just my two cents.

I've been a strong supporter of Chan Gailey since he was hired. He had a history of identifying the range and limits of his QBs abilities and working with him. So I was more than willing to believe that he saw something in Trent Edwards that I surely never did, and that he'd build an offense around him that would minimize his weaknesses while playing to his strengths. Hope springs eternal.

Yet two weeks into the season he benches his personally chosen starter. He did this on the heels of, for example, Brett Favre throwing three picks and the "great" Eli Manning and his "powerhouse" Giants getting beaten as badly as the Bills did on Sunday (worse, without that garbage TD at the end), with the team the Bills had a solid chance of beating last week (the Dolphins) besting media darling Minnesota.

I'm surely not saying benching Edwards is the wrong move only that it smells of panic. And then replacing Edwards with Fitzie? If, in Gailey's assessment, he wasn't good enough to dislodge Edwards (!!!) prior to yesterday, why in god's name does he think he's suddenly become the answer? And it comes on the heels of benching Spiller after ONE game.

I don't know about you guys, but this change causes me to question everything I thought about Gailey. And by extension, Buddy Nix's thinking.

I have confidence in Chan and Buddy, but this is a panic move. I know I am in the minority on this board, but (in my opinion), this is nothing more than making someone a scapegoat where the primarly problems are elsewhere. Just my two cents.

You really think Trent's play wasn't costing them?

I would have loved to have seen what he could have done behind an NFL quality line.

Unfortunately, no Buffalo Bills QB has played behind an NFL quality in many, many years. The whole thing is a broken record.

You really think Trent's play wasn't costing them?

I would have loved to have seen what he could have done behind an NFL quality line.

Unfortunately, no Buffalo Bills QB has played behind an NFL quality in many, many years. The whole thing is a broken record.

I agree, but they were, I thought, closer to NFL quality in 2008 and I still wasn't impressed with Trent. And players like Rodgers and Roethlisberger have shown that a superb QB can make some magic happen despite issues with pass protection. Edwards is nowhere near those guys, and wouldn't be with the 80s Hogs in front of him. This is just the truth.

I wouldn't say it's panic mode, what I'd say is that what he saw in Edwards in camp and preseason hasn't translated to the regular season with more complex defenses and full speed games. We've seen it many times over the past few years here in Buffalo, a great workout/practice player but is complete crap during an actual game. That was practically a drafting philosophy the past few years, best athlete not best player. So now, Gailey has to weed out the athletes and find football players that don't disappear during games. Unfortunately with this roster and this culture of accepting losing he came into it isn't going to be a quick fix. Like I told my buddy, if they are showing improvement by the end of the season like they are learning and Gailey hasn't lost the team that's better than now.

are you saying they didn't look at game film and didn't see Trent in full speed action? They knew what was going on. These are veterans - Nix and Gailey. Where else would they have jobs like this at their ages!

Guest dog14787

I don't know it explaining anything to you would help....your clueless some people just are

Why Cardinal, that's a horrible thing to say to a fella,

Note: On the O-line debate would you rather have a Good QB make a bad O-line better or a good O-line that would give a good QB the ability to do great things, like win a Championship for instance.

Edited by dog14787

It is simply the right decision here. Trent had a chance. He has the tools, he edged out Fitz in camp, but all along Chan said that was the order they were in at that point, and it could change, and never "Trent is our guy, he is our starting QB, chips fall where they may". Trent was the slightly better performer out of three so-so QBs in camp, and Chan chose the best option at that time. The hope being that Trent could continue to put it together and perform once the season started.

Trent fell flat on his face, not just with overall results, but with decisions and actions on individual plays. Chan doesn't need to give him six weeks to realize that it isn't working, and a fourth year QB who barely won the competition has a short leash. I'm happy for the spark and change because the first two weeks were pretty embarassing.

I am disappointed that it isn't Brohm who at least has the mystery potential to be a good NFL QB that we could hope for, while I think we know Fitz's upside limits. Brohm will get his chance, and hopefully he takes better advantage of it than Trent did his. But for now, go Fitz!

I also do wonder if it might have been a better bet to try to hide things and have the surprise advantage against the Pats, but probably in this age of Twitter it would have been too hard and made it more difficult for the two QBs during practice.

Well said Koufax - couldn't put it any better.

It's pretty clear when you're throwing for less than 5 yards per attempt and you only have 178 yards in Passing Offense, something needs to change!

FWIW, below are highlights of the last game of last season, Fitz at least looks willing to stand in there and throw. Here's to hoping he can do *something*, if he's worse than Trent we're REALLY screwed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUPl_J51DgA

Why? What, if anything, has Edwards shown you that leads you to equate him with Favre or even Eli? Is it his numerous 300 yard games? Is it the fact that he is too scared to even go after the garbage time TD? Is it the ability to completely avoid the receiver with open field ahead of him, instead trying to hit the guy on a crossing pattern with two tacklers ready to destroy him? Please share. This isn't a panic move. Edwards was a liability out there. For as much as Favre and Eli have been liabilities at times, it's because they are taking chances and trying to lead their teams to win - not to "not lose."

Oh I dunno... perhaps it was that last drive with 8 min left in the Miami game and Gailey calls for a 5 WR spread offense, the Dolphin defenders stop blitzing and drop into coverage. Trent takes the team 80 yards down field with a TD to Parish.

The fact that all preseason the Chicago Bears offensive line looked horrid allowing so many sacks every game, many were saying Cutler is gonna get killed this year. The Cowboys blitzed him constantly the first few series in the last game, the Bear O line couldn't block Ware and Spencer whatsoever, they were forced to hold them because they simply COULDN'T BLOCK THEM. Cutler looked exactly like Trent Edwards running for his life and getting hit after every pass play!

The Mike Martz made adjustments- shorten the drops, get him under center, get rid of the football quickly and have him step up in the pocket, then he ran a spread offense and the Cowboys dropped into coverage BOOM TD to the TE with a quick slant pass ...the result was the Cowboys DE's were no longer getting to Cutler and he started to carve that defense up.

To me Gailey is biting off more then he can chew in trying to run the entire offense,watch protections-call plays- make adjustments

The season is a wash. We knowit. Gailey knows. Ralph knows it. The team knows it. There are no roster changes or game plans that are going to make a signifigant difference. That's not first year coach Chan Gailey's fault. I'm sure he hoped for better, but there just isn't enough to work with. Hopefully they can win some games, but it's gonna be a mess of a season.

Well said Koufax - couldn't put it any better.

It's pretty clear when you're throwing for less than 5 yards per attempt and you only have 178 yards in Passing Offense, something needs to change!

FWIW, below are highlights of the last game of last season, Fitz at least looks willing to stand in there and throw. Here's to hoping he can do *something*, if he's worse than Trent we're REALLY screwed!

youtube.com/watch?v=kUPl_J51DgA

You picked a "Lame Duck Colts" game to inspire us with confidence in Fitz?!

Fitz will probably move the chains a bit more, but make other mistakes that will keep these Bills out of the endzone. He might get the Bills a field goal more, every other game (1.5 points per game), than Edwards, but throw an extra interception that leads to a touchdown or something like that. He blows.

\

Same end results really. A low-scoring offense, and losses.

Edited by ThrowIt

Why Cardinal, that's a horrible thing to say to a fella,

Note: On the O-line debate would you rather have a Good QB make a bad O-line better or a good O-line that would give a good QB the ability to do great things, like win a Championship for instance.

You'd need a good QB which Trent is not. Give it up Dog, all is forgiven.

Fitz will probably move the chains a bit more, but make other mistakes that will keep these Bills out of the endzone. He might get the Bills a field goal more, every other game (1.5 points per game), than Edwards, but throw an extra interception that leads to a touchdown or something like that. He blows.

\

Still better than Trent.

Edited by ConradDobler

What fascinates me most about getting to see Fitz play:

In this profile piece written about Gailey over the summer, it talks about his preference for mobile quarterbacks. As we all know, Fitzy loves to take off and run. I'm curious to see how Fitz handles the offense at a different, and shiftier pace.

Am leaving for Boston at 3:25 this afternoon, and will be at Gillette Stadium* to see Fitz and the Bills upset the Cheatriettes* :thumbsup:

Nice article about Chan Gailey - thanks. Had forgotten that one but remember now that, at the time I initially read it, the parts about Gailey's competitiveness, offensive creativity, being a great teacher of fundamentals, uncomplicated game plan w/limited # of plays out of multiple formations, and ability to get the most out of whatever QB on his roster reminded me a lot of...

Mike Leach

(I just hope all that crap inside Gailey's head doesn't affect his ability to come up with an effective game plan to beat Brady* & Belicheat*!)

post-2970-084219900 1285148931_thumb.jpg

\

Not really, I just picked the footage that was out there on a YouTube search. You're right that it wasn't full strength Colts team (and it was also, you know, last year), but it does show that with some time Fitz can hit some throws. He'll at least take the shot.

Again, I don't know what will happen but (IMO) if we can hit just a *few* passes (or at least throw the ball down field) we should be able to open up our run game a bit. I'm hoping that Fitz can do that - seriously, it has to be hard for us to get worse on O!

Guest dog14787

You'd need a good QB which Trent is not. Give it up Dog, all is forgiven.

Still better than Trent.

The same argument goes for Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm.

Just because a QB because of his scrambling abilities can make more plays behind a bad O-line it doesn't give the bad O-line a free pass or management for allowing it to happen.

At least not in my opinion anyway.

Now that Fitz is starting and in knowing he has great wheels, I'll expect Ryan Fitzpatrick to make more plays. On the same token If we blocked better and Fitz wasn't running for his life and able to stand in the pocket, make his reads and deliver the ball, the Bills would have double the capabilities/options. Ryan Fitzpatrick's accuracy would also improve.

Brian Brohm is a talented QB with a lot of potential in my opinion, but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I would even want him out there right now.

Edited by dog14787

Oh I dunno... perhaps it was that last drive with 8 min left in the Miami game and Gailey calls for a 5 WR spread offense, the Dolphin defenders stop blitzing and drop into coverage. Trent takes the team 80 yards down field with a TD to Parish.

The fact that all preseason the Chicago Bears offensive line looked horrid allowing so many sacks every game, many were saying Cutler is gonna get killed this year. The Cowboys blitzed him constantly the first few series in the last game, the Bear O line couldn't block Ware and Spencer whatsoever, they were forced to hold them because they simply COULDN'T BLOCK THEM. Cutler looked exactly like Trent Edwards running for his life and getting hit after every pass play!

Cherrypicking to locate his one good drive during the game, when he finally saw a man wide open in mid-deep range due to blown coverage, doesn't help your case. Not to mention that the Dolphins were playing soft just to consume clock time. Trent couldn't manage another one of those drives once pressure and coverage tightened, and he wasn't exploiting the lack of blitz and finding his receivers over the shoulder in the final series either. He was looking for short garbage. I'd rather have a Kelly who throws an INT forcing the D to respect the deep ball, than an Edwards who makes few mistakes but makes little progress save for one magical prevent defense-inspired drive per game.

The Mike Martz made adjustments- shorten the drops, get him under center, get rid of the football quickly and have him step up in the pocket, then he ran a spread offense and the Cowboys dropped into coverage BOOM TD to the TE with a quick slant pass ...the result was the Cowboys DE's were no longer getting to Cutler and he started to carve that defense up.

To me Gailey is biting off more then he can chew in trying to run the entire offense,watch protections-call plays- make adjustments

Also, if you don't think Gailey has watched film of Edwards and already made these suggestions, we're probably more effed than we think we are. My guess is that these suggestions were being made all offseason and "Gameday Trent" can't put them into practice, hence the benching.

Apparently the panic continues. It's been reported on another thread that Steve Johnson is out and Roscoe is now the #2 receiver. Here's what I find odd about it. If Johnson was a problem screwing up the offense, why would you bench Edwards? And if Edwards was the problem, why would you bench Johnson? And if both were problems, then you wasted your off-season. In any case, it looks panicky to me.

Gailey's main strength as a coach in the past was that he was innovative in being able to create tailor-made systems to best fit the personnel on hand. Professional coaches like Gailey are a special breed. They are confident in their abilities to a fault. I suspect that Gailey saw the game film on Edwards -- but rather than viewing him as a hopeless cause, thought to himself, "I am the guy smart enough to devise a scheme that suits Trent's unique skill set." He also saw a guy who, by the end of last year had no confidence left.

Trent is a bright guy, capable of talking the talk. Under Gailey's off-season tutelage he said all the right things and appeared to regain his confidence after the first preseason game (against Washington) disaster. From a talent perspective, he also has all the goods. Despite a faction of "fans" on this board who would say otherwise, Trent does not have a noodle for an arm. It is likely that Trent DID perform the best of the 3 QBs in training camp and displayed the greatest skillset, when live bullets were not flying.

After two weeks of live action, Gailey came to the astute conclusion that Edwards just doesn't have "it". Regardless of whatever scheme he could cook up -- and given the current impossibility of improving the supporting cast, including the OL -- Gailey came to realize that there was likely nothing he could do to hide the fact that Trent Edwards simply lacks the natural instincts and intangible qualities to play QB in the NFL. Fitzpatrick DOES have these traits -- and Gailey believes that he can better compensate for Fitzpatrick's lack of talent than he can for Trent's lack of instincts and mental toughness.

Gailey's main strength as a coach in the past was that he was innovative in being able to create tailor-made systems to best fit the personnel on hand. Professional coaches like Gailey are a special breed. They are confident in their abilities to a fault. I suspect that Gailey saw the game film on Edwards -- but rather than viewing him as a hopeless cause, thought to himself, "I am the guy smart enough to devise a scheme that suits Trent's unique skill set." He also saw a guy who, by the end of last year had no confidence left.

Trent is a bright guy, capable of talking the talk. Under Gailey's off-season tutelage he said all the right things and appeared to regain his confidence after the first preseason game (against Washington) disaster. From a talent perspective, he also has all the goods. Despite a faction of "fans" on this board who would say otherwise, Trent does not have a noodle for an arm. It is likely that Trent DID perform the best of the 3 QBs in training camp and displayed the greatest skillset, when live bullets were not flying.

After two weeks of live action, Gailey came to the astute conclusion that Edwards just doesn't have "it". Regardless of whatever scheme he could cook up -- and given the current impossibility of improving the supporting cast, including the OL -- Gailey came to realize that there was likely nothing he could do to hide the fact that Trent Edwards simply lacks the natural instincts and intangible qualities to play QB in the NFL. Fitzpatrick DOES have these traits -- and Gailey believes that he can better compensate for Fitzpatrick's lack of talent than he can for Trent's lack of instincts and mental toughness.

So in a nutshell, you are saying Gailey was fooled by TE. That Gailey was smart enough to see TE couldn't fool him after two games? Way to go coach! Fitz has the "traits" and Gailey doesn't make him the starter? Now, Gailey believes he can coach up Fitz? Sounds a little confusing and floundering to me? So much for a vote of confidence?

Cherrypicking to locate his one good drive during the game, when he finally saw a man wide open in mid-deep range due to blown coverage, doesn't help your case. Not to mention that the Dolphins were playing soft just to consume clock time. Trent couldn't manage another one of those drives once pressure and coverage tightened, and he wasn't exploiting the lack of blitz and finding his receivers over the shoulder in the final series either. He was looking for short garbage. I'd rather have a Kelly who throws an INT forcing the D to respect the deep ball, than an Edwards who makes few mistakes but makes little progress save for one magical prevent defense-inspired drive per game.

Also, if you don't think Gailey has watched film of Edwards and already made these suggestions, we're probably more effed than we think we are. My guess is that these suggestions were being made all offseason and "Gameday Trent" can't put them into practice, hence the benching.

Not for nothing but that so called "cherry-picking" drive showed me that given decent protection and an open receiver Trent can get the job done. Go back and watch that drive, there was a big sack and a false start by Green on the O line that Edwards overcame and still got the ball down field. That last pass was a 31 yard TD strike to Parish on 4th and 11 after moving the team from the Bills 20 yard line. Yea the Dolphins could have gone into a prevent defense at first, but I think it was more of the aggressive nature of the formations and play calls that opened up the offense. They went to a 5 WR set, something they hadn't done previously all game. The Dolphins still rushed 4, the Bills kept 5 back and blocked well enough to let Edwards find the open receiver, the ball was out and gone in two seconds.

Think about it a min, with a 5 WR set the opposing defense must make player substitutions and go to a nickle or dime package, they can still blitz but if they fail to cover they can easily get burned for a big play. Something that has been lacking in Gaileys offense.

I think Gailey screwed himself and the team by being overly conservative these first two game, especially in that Packer game by trying to run the ball in 2 RB 2 WR sets that created long yardage situations for the QB to try and throw out of while under heavy blitz pressure.

I think the Bills should have beaten the Dolphins and might have even kept up with the Packers,who knows.

Edited by Harvey lives

Amen .... a voice of reason.

Look if the Bills had signed Edwards to a new multi-year deal or something then I would say this is a panic move. Right now I see this as nothing more than Nix and Gailey still trying to figure out who and what they have on the roster. Personally, I wish that Brohm would get a shot as he is the only one amongst the three that has upside but probably hard to say to the rest of the team that we are going to "throw the season away" while we figure out if Brohm has a future in this league.

Um, I think its fair to say the team by and large gets it that they pretty much suck and will lose just about if not all of their games this year. You don't have to stretch very far to come to that realization as a player. They are getting absolutely killed in all aspects of the game. You watch, every player will bolt town for the bye week, just to get away from the 0-fer stench that will certainly be permeating OBD by then.

I've been a strong supporter of Chan Gailey since he was hired. He had a history of identifying the range and limits of his QBs abilities and working with him. So I was more than willing to believe that he saw something in Trent Edwards that I surely never did, and that he'd build an offense around him that would minimize his weaknesses while playing to his strengths. Hope springs eternal.

Yet two weeks into the season he benches his personally chosen starter. He did this on the heels of, for example, Brett Favre throwing three picks and the "great" Eli Manning and his "powerhouse" Giants getting beaten as badly as the Bills did on Sunday (worse, without that garbage TD at the end), with the team the Bills had a solid chance of beating last week (the Dolphins) besting media darling Minnesota.

I'm surely not saying benching Edwards is the wrong move only that it smells of panic. And then replacing Edwards with Fitzie? If, in Gailey's assessment, he wasn't good enough to dislodge Edwards (!!!) prior to yesterday, why in god's name does he think he's suddenly become the answer? And it comes on the heels of benching Spiller after ONE game.

I don't know about you guys, but this change causes me to question everything I thought about Gailey. And by extension, Buddy Nix's thinking.

Yep, he got it wrong on the starting QB thing, but now he realizes it. So, he made the change...we won't see Trent again a a starter......he has head problems....just like JP did. Not NFL QB material, very obvious after last year, but I forgive GAiley for trying again. (under strong suggestion from the owner, I believe)

I wonder what your post would be like if we had to watch Edwards untill the bye. I would imagine it would look something like this

Christ, is Chan even watching Edwards on the field. He clearly has no idea what he is doing, he is driving this team into the ground, status quo for one bills drive. Edwards should have been benched after the Miami game, hell atleast after GB, any idiot could see that he is awful.

While I am not predicitng the current regime to be the saviors of Bills football, let them atleast make a valid attempt at righting the ship. If we want to make judgment calls after they have a chance to make good on their word to build through the draft lets atleast give them another off season.

PS This is a GOOD DECISION

not so much panic mode as it is a clear case of stupid mode. What did he see in the first two weeks that he shouldn't have seen on film the week after he was hired? He set his universe on a quarterback set of three "never was" quartebacks-Edwards, Fitz and Brohm. He should have seen that this was not a quarterback pool to win with.

More important he should have seen that he had even bigger problems on the offensive line and addressed those.

Panic? Nope...Just reality setting in.

To call this "panic mode" implies that Buddy and Chan actually thought they could win football games this year.

In reality, the only people that thought the Bills would win games and be competitive this year are the Kool-Aid drinkers on these boards.

Being 2-12 in December won't be "panic mode" either - it'll just be the realization of what literally everyone on Earth that watches football outside of Buffalo expected all along.

But, if we leave the 2011 NFL Draft without a new quarterback and a new left tackle, THEN it'll be time to panic.

not so much panic mode as it is a clear case of stupid mode. What did he see in the first two weeks that he shouldn't have seen on film the week after he was hired? He set his universe on a quarterback set of three "never was" quartebacks-Edwards, Fitz and Brohm. He should have seen that this was not a quarterback pool to win with.

More important he should have seen that he had even bigger problems on the offensive line and addressed those.

Panic? Nope...Just reality setting in.

I agree, this guy is not the Messiah

Finally, someone else who thinks this head coach is a dud.

Why does this guy get a free pass... how could he watch film of last season and determine he could get Edwards to play better and then give up after two weeks, especially when he didn't upgrade the O line, cuts TO and doesn't have a viable NFL tight end!

He cut 70 catches off the team and a viable option opposite Lee Evans when he cut TO!

The entire world was telling him he needed to rebuild the O line and he drafts a RB and boldly states...""a great RB will make the line block better"" that clearly hasn't happened!

The entire world was telling him he needed to upgrade the QB position and he passed on Jimmy Clausen 2x... can we officially crucify Gailey and Nix if Clausen turns out to be a great QB?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

The Bills did not cut TO.

I think it is pretty well accepted that if we had wanted to keep TO or Incardona we almost certainly could have worked out a deal. I for one believe that going to 3-4 was what pushed Schobel into retirement. While not a Josh Reed fan, I find it hard to believe we got rid of him without a viable replacement or at least didn't deal with it in the draft.

Just a mess, and it IS definitely a mess grossly exacerbated by Nix and Gailey