Locker room privacy ??

papazoid

Clinton Portis "she's gonna want somebody" :

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/clinton-portis-on-women-reporters-in-locker-room-shes-gonna-want-somebody/1

NFL Scolds Portis:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/nfl-clinton-portis-comments-about-women-reporters-were-inappropriate-and-offensive/1

i think the locker room should be CLOSED to ALL reporters...men and women.

there should be media access in a seperate area.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having this debate with a friend yesterday and I also agree with a seperate media area. The players come off the field, go through a media area, and then into a seperate players only locker room.

I am all for a woman being able to do any job a man can do, however, something seems broken about the current system. Women reporters are usually pretty attractive (say what you will about whether that is good or not, the fact is they are). Having an attractive women standing around talking to 50 naked men who just finished playing one of the most primal and manly sports seems like a recipe for trouble.

This story is irking the **** out of me. This reporter dresses like shes going to a NYC nightclub and then has the audacity to get offended by the attention she gets from the players? No woman "deserves" to be sexually abused. I do not ever buy the "she had it coming" line of reasoning. But there IS something to be said about the way Ms. Sainz is doing her job and her level of professionalism.

Edited by RkFast

This story is irking the **** out of me. This reporter dresses like shes going to a NYC nightclub and then has the audacity to get offended by the attention she gets from the players? No woman "deserves" to be sexually abused. I do not every buy the "she had it coming" line of reasoning. But there IS something to be said about the way Ms. Sainz is doing her job and her level of professionalism.

i saw the interview she had with Joy Behar.....Ms Sainz didn't even hear it herself.....another female reporter told her what was going on.

I was having this debate with a friend yesterday and I also agree with a seperate media area. The players come off the field, go through a media area, and then into a seperate players only locker room.

I am all for a woman being able to do any job a man can do, however, something seems broken about the current system. Women reporters are usually pretty attractive (say what you will about whether that is good or not, the fact is they are). Having an attractive women standing around talking to 50 naked men who just finished playing one of the most primal and manly sports seems like a recipe for trouble.

For the most part I agree with what you've said. But I'd like to ask a question. What is so wrong with saying Woman reporters aren't allowed in the locker room? Why can't it be said that it's inappropriate, because there are men changing in this area? Why does it have to be sexist to say that?

For the most part I agree with what you've said. But I'd like to ask a question. What is so wrong with saying Woman reporters aren't allowed in the locker room? Why can't it be said that it's inappropriate, because there are men changing in this area? Why does it have to be sexist to say that?

because men reporters (if allowed) would have a serious competitive advantage with that exclusive access. you need to ban BOTH men and women.

an open locker room is how we are able to do our jobs and provide as much insight to the public as we possibly can. it's the given-and-take at a players' locker -- after practice or after a game -- where the best stuff is said, and the best observations made. this is also a place where reporters are allowed to interact with players, joke with them, chat them up about other topics, see if they're limping, angry, sad or happy. this is where a lot of the personal relationships are built.

i can see how some might think a separate media area will work. it won't.

players have numerous areas they can hang out in that are out of bounds to reporters. however, NFL players are required under league rules to make themselves accessible to the media on Wednesdays and after games. and that requirement on Wednesday is half-an-hour or so. that's where the separate media area doesn't work. a player is most comfortable at his locker. it would be inconvenient for them to have to hang around a separate room for that period of time.

my 2 cents.

jw

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/clinton-portis-on-women-reporters-in-locker-room-shes-gonna-want-somebody/1

NFL Scolds Portis:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/nfl-clinton-portis-comments-about-women-reporters-were-inappropriate-and-offensive/1

Agreed. Hard to believe it still is the way it is.

Aside from that - is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that the combined IQs of Ines Sainz and Clinton Portis barely reach room temperature?

Edited by billsfan1959

NFL Scolds Portis:

Right on! Let the players have some privacy and time to regroup without a microphone in their face. :thumbsup:

This story is irking the **** out of me. This reporter dresses like shes going to a NYC nightclub and then has the audacity to get offended by the attention she gets from the players? No woman "deserves" to be sexually abused. I do not ever buy the "she had it coming" line of reasoning. But there IS something to be said about the way Ms. Sainz is doing her job and her level of professionalism.

If you follow the story, Sainz has stated that she was not offended and did not feel threatened, nor hear any sexual remarks.

Are male reporters allowed into WNBA or women's college or professional soccer teams' locker rooms?

I don't think any reporters are allowed

I could be mistaken though

an open locker room is how we are able to do our jobs and provide as much insight to the public as we possibly can. it's the given-and-take at a players' locker -- after practice or after a game -- where the best stuff is said, and the best observations made. this is also a place where reporters are allowed to interact with players, joke with them, chat them up about other topics, see if they're limping, angry, sad or happy. this is where a lot of the personal relationships are built.

players have numerous areas they can hang out in that are out of bounds to reporters. however, NFL players are required under league rules to make themselves accessible to the media on Wednesdays and after games. and that requirement on Wednesday is half-an-hour or so. that's where the separate media area doesn't work. a player is most comfortable at his locker. it would be inconvenient for them to have to hang around a separate room for that period of time.

my 2 cents.

jw

How are women's sports covered after a game such as basketball in the locker room? Are males allowed in the room or is there a separate area in which both the male and female reporters have access to the women athletes?

The situation you described in your post allowing male reporters interaction in the locker room does not allow for females to have the same access. Is that the right approach or not? Is that discriminatory or not?

The scenario in the locker room you alluded to is not easily adjustable to accommodate women reporters to an equal standing as their male conterparts. Does it simply come down to that all problems can't be resolved on an equal footing? Maybe that is simply the case?

my 2 cents.

jw

Yeah, but now do you have to wear hotpants to level the playing field with Ms Sainz?

How do we know at least some of female reporters aren't pervs who just want to check out naked athletes?

The whole thing stinks ... these guys need protection from this.

If any one of them walked outside naked in front of that same reporter they'd get arrested.

So how can they be required to be in a situation where they're naked in front of them?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack