Horrible Quote from Edwards!

buffalopdc

Funny you bring up Sanchez. He was getting ripped on Mike and Mike this morning for....wait for it...checking down too much and not taking chances down the field.

FWIW, Game 1 stats: Trent Edwards: 18 of 34, 134 yds, 1 TD, O int; Mark Sanchez: 10 of 21, 74 yds, 0 TD, 0 Int

Caveat: the Ravens' defense is better than the Dolphins.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What aren't opinions are the recordings of him saying stupid things in press conferences, smiling and laughing about terrible performances, and the PRODUCT that he puts out on the field.

Say goodbye, Trent. You might be smart and charming and tough as nails, but you are a failure of a quarterback, and once we get you out the door, you'll never sniff the field again.

I underlined the opinions in your non-opinion section. Nice try though. Good luck with that whole “love to be negative and hate football players in capital letters” thing.

I suspect you will go much further in life than Edwards by obsessing about him. You should start a new thread, "you'll never sniff the field again, TRENT." I have not yet seen that title.

You think Belichek would let Brady get away with a stupid comment like that??

Think Rex Ryan would not put a boot in Sanchez's butt if he said the same thing??

Gailey has got to shut this kid up, the more he opens his yap, the more absolute

crap comes out.

If there is a saving grace in all of this it is the fact that the kid wont be here next year.

Whats wrong with the kids of today???

Are they all lazy morons??

Come on really?? Of course he is smart because he graduated from Stanford with a BS in political Science. He may not be Steven Hawking, but if he can get a university degree from Stanford, he is smart enough or is studious enough to be an NFL QB.

I suppose there are some ECC dropouts who feel they too could have easily earned that same degree if they could throw a football…. *sigh* Sometimes the level of ignorance found here is astounding.

I agree with you completely. I have never questioned Edwards intelligence. I'm sure he understands the offense, he is just unable to implement it. He seems to be playing fearfully, and is hesitant to stand in and make plays. Other teams pick up on it and exploit it, much like a bully would with his favorite whipping boy. I'm sure Trent knows the offense completely, but he just can't overcome what ever it is that's holding him back. I'm not sure he ever will.

i think what you can read from these quotes of trent, from day one, is that he's more of a follower, a good soldier, than a leader. he's never criticized gameplans, or coaches, or teammates even in a veiled, generic way. in general, or at first galnce, this may seem admirable. but his tolerance of it over the years shows weakness. what QB never gets pizzed off (at anyone) or fired up (about anything)? look at lee evans.. pretty quiet guy, but read between the lines and you can tell he's not pleased. Edwards as a QB has a little leeway and he should use it. yell at the OC, yell at the Oline, or his receivers if they run a wrong route.

and i don't buy this "brainwashed by Jauron" garbage. DJ picked Losman as his QB over Holcomb specifically b/c you (quote) "need to get yards in chunks". in other words, Holcomb checked down too much. Edwards has said he plays like he's coached, but i don't think that ever meant DJ was telling him not to throw it deep. i'm sure his OC's said take what the defense gives you. TE's problem is that he doesn't seem particularly good at seeing what that is. checking down was fine when teams didn't know to cover fred jackson out of the backfield so close... once they did, Edwards was screwed b/c he always felt more comfortable throwing it short, even to a covered RB, than a 1 on 1 covered WR downfield.

buffaloopdc -- great point -- perfectly illustrates the problem with Edwards. He is ACCEPTING of mediocrity and poor performances when it should NEVER be acceptable. Edwards sets the bar low for himself, and thus sets the bar low for the team as he is the leader on offense. Kelly would be PISSED after a performance like that. That, in a nutshell, is the difference.

All, I just wanted to say thank you for keeping this topic on task and with inteligent responses. It reminds me of the board when I started several years ago. I do not post that often but when I do I very much enjoy getting repsonses such as those in this thread.

"There's going to be days like that when we don't get it going. We're three-and-out or we're shooting ourselves in the foot. That's going to happen, that's the NFL."

-Trent Edwards

Let me first say that I do not like the personal attacks on players as football is a team sport. Most comments about Edwards do not offer any constructive critizism and, in truth, show the level of immaturity of some of the posters. He is a tough, smart guy as are all guys that play at the level that he is playing. I am sure he devotes alot of time and effort into improving as most do in their jobs; however, this quote was unacceptable to me and it does not portray leadership which is most needed at the QB position. We need a "Field General" as a QB and the mentality that it is "hard to win in the NFL" is not going to cut it. The comment show a total lack of confidence in the team, the plan, and himself as a leader of the team. The C on his jersey means something and he needs to start showing it.

If an attorney gave you that type of comment after losing a court case you would want to ripp his head off, the same for a doctor, or any other professional.

See Sanchez's numbers from last night? About the same as Edwards but his comments were a little different. He may suffer from the same "check-down" fever but he appears to have more leadership potential. I really think he problem is his coach.

First he isn't a fan now this, he should be executed. Wow, what's next, criticize his hair style just to have something to say negative about him? Some of you Trent haters need to go find another team to cheer for on sundays.

What were Sanchez's comments? “We really took our turns making mistakes and there’s no excuse for that,” Sanchez said. “This is the ultimate team sport — we all have to [do] it right on every play for it to work.” More..."It just seemed like every time we had a good play on, something happened and we hurt ourselves,” Sanchez said.

Exactly how is that sooooo much different? :blink:

Edwards has a definite defeatist angle to it.

It's one thing to say 'We didn't play well tonight' and another to say 'Not playing well is something we should be resigned to b/c mistakes are the nature of the NFL.'

Bringing all to mind, I have to give Edwards a :thumbsdown: for the come-as-it-may/this-is-just-another-job attitude. An NFL QB needs to actually give a crap about what he does for a living.

Edited by UConn James

buffaloopdc -- great point -- perfectly illustrates the problem with Edwards. He is ACCEPTING of mediocrity and poor performances when it should NEVER be acceptable. Edwards sets the bar low for himself, and thus sets the bar low for the team as he is the leader on offense. Kelly would be PISSED after a performance like that. That, in a nutshell, is the difference.

I remember back in 1989, the year of the Bickering Bills, the whole reason for the bickering was that poor performance of the Offensive Line. Now the offensive line play then was Hall of Fame caliber compared to what we saw this past sunday, and Kelly still pointed fingers at the line and blamed them. Now I am not comparing Edwards to Kelly, just to keep that dumb post from happening, but to me it isn't leadership when you point fingers at your teammates in the media. So much for that nutshell.

I totally agree. If Trent repeats his performance of last week he will not make it past the bye week. My prediction. <_<

I remember back in 1989, the year of the Bickering Bills, the whole reason for the bickering was that poor performance of the Offensive Line. Now the offensive line play then was Hall of Fame caliber compared to what we saw this past sunday, and Kelly still pointed fingers at the line and blamed them. Now I am not comparing Edwards to Kelly, just to keep that dumb post from happening, but to me it isn't leadership when you point fingers at your teammates in the media. So much for that nutshell.

Yeah, it's a fine line between calling someone out to their face and calling someone out in the media. The Bickering Bills got a little bit out of hand. On the other hand, it's hard to argue with the results as the Bills went on to four straight Super Bowl appearances. I don't want to see Edwards behind the podium saying "Our right tackle lost us the game today". However, I would love to see Edwards grab one of these guys by the shoulder pads during the game and say to their face "Get with it, man". Edwards is no Jim Kelly and he never will be. I only wish Edwards would at least set the bar higher for himself and not just take losing in stride. That's the thing about Edwards I do not like.

I totally agree. If Trent repeats his performance of last week he will not make it past the bye week. My prediction. <_<

I just hope Gailey has the guts to make a change if it becomes obvious one is needed (which is probably already the case from the fans' perspective).

Edwards has a definite defeatist angle to it.

It's one thing to say 'We didn't play well tonight' and another to say 'Not playing well is something we should be resigned to b/c mistakes are the nature of the NFL.'

Bringing all to mind, I have to give Edwards a :thumbsdown: for the come-as-it-may/this-is-just-another-job attitude. An NFL QB needs to actually give a crap about what he does for a living.

So if a player in MLB goes through a hitting slump and he says that happens in this league or an NBA player says shooting slumps happen they are defeatist? Hey **** happens, and I'm not sure he likes it, but that is the nature of sports. That is my take.

I have to say it sure seems like **** happens with him a lot...that's NOT acceptable.

That wasn't the reason, that was the match that lit the fuse.

Kelly's ego, and his "my sh*t don't stink, and you can't touch me" attitude had more to do with the bickering than anything else.

Even prior to 89, Smerlas used to take subtle shots at Kelly during interviews.

I read that article in the D&C newspaper in the Rochester airport Tuesday afternoon. I wanted to wad up the paper and throw it throw it through a plate glass window, but thought the TSA might not like it!

But come on, that's going to happen? That's the NFL? While it may be true to a degree, I don't want my starting QB thinking that it was just a bad day and shrug it off. Trent, maybe if you hadn't over thrown Lee Evans for what would have been a TD, maybe it would have been different story. He also overthrew a guy on 3rd and long for what would have been a 1st down and extended that drive. Maybe if had made a better pass to David Nelson on the last play before the half he could have gotten us 5 yards closer for that FG? Sometimes he didn't have time, but sometimes he did. he didn't capitalize on when he did. He needs to.

This is Trent's biggest problem. He doesn't have confidence in himself and his team mates.

I was really cheering Trent on and wanted him to have a good day Sunday. But let's face it, he doesn't have it. In pre season he did OK because he going against vanilla base defenses. Now teams are coming after him with 8 in the box and heavy blitzes like they have been since 2008 and it won't stop. Either Trent and Coach Gailey need to figure this out or we're toast again.

Cheese gave up 150 on the ground vs. the Eagles. Vick helped that, but they're vulnerable to the run game. Run it down their throat Sunday.

Edited by reddogblitz

What were Sanchez's comments? “We really took our turns making mistakes and there’s no excuse for that,” Sanchez said. “This is the ultimate team sport — we all have to [do] it right on every play for it to work.” More..."It just seemed like every time we had a good play on, something happened and we hurt ourselves,” Sanchez said.

Exactly how is that sooooo much different? :blink:

I guess to me what's different is Sanchez is saying "there's no excuse for that" vs. Edwards saying "That's going to happen, that's the NFL"

It sounds like Sanchez is saying it's unacceptable - no excuse - to have "days where you don't get it going" but Edwards is accepting a poor performance.

TE does sound like Jauron "it's hard to win in the NFL".

On the other hand....some people's major problem after a poor performance is beating themselves up too badly instead of looking ahead and moving on.

They internalize, and then it becomes self-defeating cycle.

I think TE is speaking poorly, and what he really means is "sh** happens, and we need to just learn from it and move on and do better".

It would just come across better to the fans if he said so directly.

I think TE is speaking poorly, and what he really means is "sh** happens, and we need to just learn from it and move on and do better".

It would just come across better to the fans if he said so directly.

exactly...but some need to twist it to meet their agenda, kind of sad.