Is anyone else not fully buying into Gailey?

billsfan89

I am going to allow myself the luxury of feeling good about Gailey, and even Nix. Levy/Jauron were just so unspeakably bad at building and coaching this team that it is almost impossible for them to be worse.

It appears that Nix/Gailey went in the right direction on the defensive side of the ball. If they can rebuild the offense next season, the Bills can probably contend.

I don't care so much about the w/l record this season which is a good thing, because things do look a little bleak. But, if these 2 go in the right direction we really can have a young, strong team. This was never, ever going to happen with Levy/Jauron. Now, we would seem to at least have a chance.

It isn't about "buying into" anytyhing imo. It's about the possibility existing for the Bills to be good, at least in the future.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face facts. Those who hate Gailey will always hate Gailey because he wasn't one of the anointed ones. These people rely on others to tell them what is good. So unless there is a talking head on TV raving about a coach or a player, they don't know what to think, even when that coach or player is on the team they follow scoring TDs and winning games.

PTR

My first thought about Buddy Nix was concern that the Bills a guy who has been around the league for a long time but was never a GM because he doesn’t have what it takes to be a GM. I was concerned that a 70 year old does not have the energy that it takes to turn a franchise and does not understand football in 2010.

When He hired Chan Gaily I thought, I have heard that name before but certainly not when anyone was talking about coaching candidates that would be great for the bills or any other team. I thought to his employment history with Dallas (canned after 2 seasons) and thought perhaps it’s another Coordinator that will fizzle in taking on the whole team. When he picked his D coordinator and O coordinate I grew further concerned as I did not see any major accomplishments on any of the resumes.

I took a second take when C.J. Spiller was drafted wondering why a third quality running back would be added given the 2009 roster.

Of course as a fan once you get by your initial reaction, you either enjoyably get on rooting for the team or sustain a state of miserably forecasting doom and setting yourself up to say “I told you so”, at least gaining some sort of moral victory in the case the team fails. I guess this is the pessimist version of a win-win.

But using cautious optimism as the chosen state of my fanhood, I see a lot of things that I really like.

Preseason- With the exception of the first game against the Skins, the ones outplayed each competitors ones, or at least looked to keep up.

Scouting and personnel - All the UDFA’s on the roster. If you are telling me that these guys know how to put a competitive team on the field and can find talent outside of the mainstream channel, then no matter what happens in free agency regarding the salary cap, the team has a shot to remaining competitive. C.J. Spiller looks electric. The QB’s that were passed on (save Tebow Struggled mightily in preseason, and might not have fared much better than Levi). Andra Davis seemed to constantly be found near the ball. Dwan Edwards might have been one of the best low publicity prospects in the draft, and Nix talked him off of a departing plane to sign a deal.

No sacred cows- Although some of Chan’s former players were picked up, if they did not perform they were cut. Hardy has size, speed and 2 round pick pedigree, but he just didn’t distinguish himself, so he didn’t make the roster.

The QB competition – He handled it with class and a firm and fair approach (at least the outward perception)

Press conferences- Instead of talking about a job and acting like is a middle manager of a team of accountants, he looks, talks and sounds like a football guy. “tough game for tough people” is one of my favorite quotes. Pads and hitting needing to be big part of camp, Admonishment of hecklers, which to me sets a good tone for a guy trying to compose harmony in the locker room. He expects to win and he is not afraid to say it. My perception of the way he has handled Lynch’s shenanigans…

The offense- slants, long bombs out of the wishbone, 3 receiver sets, 3 back sets, motion, using Parrish for more than a helmet stand. Did I mention Spiller?

The defense: both 3-4 and 4-3 looks, two solid LB pickups and the drafting of a few more solid LB prospects.

There is a general feeling that we, the fans, are going to see a product on the field that looks a lot more like a professional football team. Better or worse than previous record, I think we will see a team trying to win instead of trying not to lose. I think guys that have been around and labeled as part of an untalented team are going to look like they are talented.

So here is to optimism, what makes this time of year best. Up until opening day kickoff the guys you root for are Superbowl contenders just like everyone else. The new coaching regime could be the key that unlocks all sorts of exciting football from the same guys we have watched bumble to uninspired sub-mediocre football in years past. So the new coach expects to win football games. With such a bold declaration on his back, why not hope to win against the torrent of entrenched skepticism and enjoy being a fan again?

Based on what I've seen of Shanahan so far in Washington, I'm not convinced he is the right coach for the Skins. Trading for McNabb was not smart. He is likely to be injured a lot. Fortunately, I'm not a Skins fan. Previous coaching record has very little to do with how a coach does with a new team. Each situation is different. But based on previous coaching record, Gailey looks good, his team making the playoffs most years when he was an NFL coach. Gailey will put the players on this team in a position to win. Jauron put his players in a position to lose. There is a major difference at One Bills Drive and the players know it and appreciate it. Listen to TE, for example.

I think I read last year when we were looking for a new coach that no (or very few, like one or two) Super Bowl winning coaches have gone on to coach in or win a Super Bowl with another team. If that's true, then Gailey was definitely tihe better choice, given he hasn't coached a Super Bowl yet.

OK I think that Gailey is saying and doing all the right things. BUT I just don't know if he is the coach that is going to lead us back to the playoffs. I mean so far pre-season we have looked good but its pre-season its still meaningless. If I look at what Gailey has done in the past it doesn't inspire much confidence. Since getting canned by Dallas (After a somewhat successful stint there) he hasn't done much.

His record with Miami isn't impressive (they improved after he left), his record with Georgia Tech isn't impressive either (They improved a lot after he left), and KC wasn't that good and even though they got slightly worse after he left Tony Gonzales also left which was more likely due to their slight decline.

All in all I hope for the best but just because Gailey is better then Jauron doesn't mean he is going to work out.

Any time my favorite team hires a head coach who:

1.) Got fired from his last job, which was offensive coordinator,

2.) has no other job offers pending,

3.) had 1 previous stint as NFL head coach, where he was a bit of a national joke, and was fired after 2 seasons,

4.) has gone 12 or so years between NFL head coach gigs,

5.) never won a bowl game in 5 or so years as a college head coach,

then I'm going to need to see a winning record before I give him any credit or confidence whatsoever. Just a longstanding rule of mine.

Hope he works out, but let's see it. Words are meaningless; nearly every coach talks a great game, regardless of how bad the on-field product is. Gailey's resume/track record is very underwhelming, and a few nice drives in preseason aren't enough to counteract that. And what's unfair to Gailey is that we got so burned in 2008 that even a hot start won't win me over. I'll hop on the bandwagon when he mathematically clinches a winning record.

Let's face facts. Those who hate Gailey will always hate Gailey because he wasn't one of the anointed ones. These people rely on others to tell them what is good. So unless there is a talking head on TV raving about a coach or a player, they don't know what to think, even when that coach or player is on the team they follow scoring TDs and winning games.

PTR

PTR, I hope your being sarcastic because I don't believe most Bills fans are that close minded and shallow. I for on really disliked the hire and my attitude towards Gailey is changing after what I have seen this off season and preseason. Now, the question will be can we get some wins....

My first thought about Buddy Nix was concern that the Bills a guy who has been around the league for a long time but was never a GM because he doesn’t have what it takes to be a GM. I was concerned that a 70 year old does not have the energy that it takes to turn a franchise and does not understand football in 2010.

When He hired Chan Gaily I thought, I have heard that name before but certainly not when anyone was talking about coaching candidates that would be great for the bills or any other team. I thought to his employment history with Dallas (canned after 2 seasons) and thought perhaps it’s another Coordinator that will fizzle in taking on the whole team. When he picked his D coordinator and O coordinate I grew further concerned as I did not see any major accomplishments on any of the resumes.

I took a second take when C.J. Spiller was drafted wondering why a third quality running back would be added given the 2009 roster.

Of course as a fan once you get by your initial reaction, you either enjoyably get on rooting for the team or sustain a state of miserably forecasting doom and setting yourself up to say “I told you so”, at least gaining some sort of moral victory in the case the team fails. I guess this is the pessimist version of a win-win.

But using cautious optimism as the chosen state of my fanhood, I see a lot of things that I really like.

Preseason- With the exception of the first game against the Skins, the ones outplayed each competitors ones, or at least looked to keep up.

Scouting and personnel - All the UDFA’s on the roster. If you are telling me that these guys know how to put a competitive team on the field and can find talent outside of the mainstream channel, then no matter what happens in free agency regarding the salary cap, the team has a shot to remaining competitive. C.J. Spiller looks electric. The QB’s that were passed on (save Tebow Struggled mightily in preseason, and might not have fared much better than Levi). Andra Davis seemed to constantly be found near the ball. Dwan Edwards might have been one of the best low publicity prospects in the draft, and Nix talked him off of a departing plane to sign a deal.

No sacred cows- Although some of Chan’s former players were picked up, if they did not perform they were cut. Hardy has size, speed and 2 round pick pedigree, but he just didn’t distinguish himself, so he didn’t make the roster.

The QB competition – He handled it with class and a firm and fair approach (at least the outward perception)

Press conferences- Instead of talking about a job and acting like is a middle manager of a team of accountants, he looks, talks and sounds like a football guy. “tough game for tough people” is one of my favorite quotes. Pads and hitting needing to be big part of camp, Admonishment of hecklers, which to me sets a good tone for a guy trying to compose harmony in the locker room. He expects to win and he is not afraid to say it. My perception of the way he has handled Lynch’s shenanigans…

The offense- slants, long bombs out of the wishbone, 3 receiver sets, 3 back sets, motion, using Parrish for more than a helmet stand. Did I mention Spiller?

The defense: both 3-4 and 4-3 looks, two solid LB pickups and the drafting of a few more solid LB prospects.

There is a general feeling that we, the fans, are going to see a product on the field that looks a lot more like a professional football team. Better or worse than previous record, I think we will see a team trying to win instead of trying not to lose. I think guys that have been around and labeled as part of an untalented team are going to look like they are talented.

So here is to optimism, what makes this time of year best. Up until opening day kickoff the guys you root for are Superbowl contenders just like everyone else. The new coaching regime could be the key that unlocks all sorts of exciting football from the same guys we have watched bumble to uninspired sub-mediocre football in years past. So the new coach expects to win football games. With such a bold declaration on his back, why not hope to win against the torrent of entrenched skepticism and enjoy being a fan again?

Sorry for quoting this entire post, but it's worth everyone reading again. Well done. :thumbsup:

GO BILLS!!!

I never bought into Chan, as a head coach he's ran a stacked cowboys team into the ground, and completely failed at Georgia Tech. Now he can't even be an offensive coordinator at Kansas City?? I'm still optimistic about this season and hopefully I will be wrong about Chan.

I don't think it matters whether we buy into him. The players are buying into him, and there is enough talent on this squad to be competitive. The OL isn't great, but he'll design plays and call plays to take advantage of the strengths of the offense. The transition from 4-3 to 3-4 will take a bit of time, but these are all NFL calibre players, so if the coaching is right, they will be good.

I like his attitude about coming to work expecting to win. I think his playcalling is key to the whole thing. Playcalling is all about catching the opposition off-guard. In other words, right play right time. Remember in 2002 when NE ran like 26 successful screen plays on us? That's what we need from CG.

+1 :thumbsup:

So far the team looks to be better, but he has proved absolutely nothing yet. Reality starts on Sunday, here's hoping for the best.

Anyone who thinks this year's team is better than last years ( before all the injuries ) is absolutely dreaming .. the O Line is the same, best case, QB same, RB a bit better, WRs/TEs definately worse. Defense just as weak.

Gonna be a long season folks. There's that word again.. Hope. Hoping is a waste of time in the NFL. Either you have the goods or you do not. the Bills do not.

Anyone who thinks this year's team is better than last years ( before all the injuries ) is absolutely dreaming .. the O Line is the same, best case, QB same, RB a bit better, WRs/TEs definately worse. Defense just as weak.

Gonna be a long season folks. There's that word again.. Hope. Hoping is a waste of time in the NFL. Either you have the goods or you do not. the Bills do not.

The offense should be much better than last year because there's a competent OC. And the only place the Bills got worse on offense was WR.

As for defense, the DL will be good, as will the secondary. LB's will make or break the defense.

It will definitely be interesting to see how much of last year's performance was due to lack of talent, and how much was due to poor coaching. I'm looking forward to the season because I think the coaching is going to be that much better.