Todd Collins will start this year, finally

Collins had another typical preseason for him--high percentage of passes completed, 9.0 yards per attempt, few mistakes, and passer rating over 100.

His stats were similar in the four regular season games he played in Washington in 2007, leading them to the playoffs.

With such an erratic and immature quarterback in Cutler, I think Lovie Smith finally gives Todd Collins the opportunity he deserves. If so, the Bears can make the playoffs.

As little as I enjoy watching Jay Cutler, I doubt Lovie Smith is gonna gamble his job by playing Todd Collins as his starter. Chicago needs Cutler to be the QB we have seen flashes of over his time in DEN and last season in Chicago. Maybe putting him into game one as the back-up would be enough to ignite the intensity he sorely lacks, but Cutler riding the pine through the whole season is a no-go.

As little as I enjoy watching Jay Cutler, I doubt Lovie Smith is gonna gamble his job by playing Todd Collins as his starter. Chicago needs Cutler to be the QB we have seen flashes of over his time in DEN and last season in Chicago. Maybe putting him into game one as the back-up would be enough to ignite the intensity he sorely lacks, but Cutler riding the pine through the whole season is a no-go.

I doubt Dick Jauron would gamble his last HC chance by moving a slow fat RT to LT, cut him a week before the season, elevate Karl Malone's son to LT, replace a poor choice of an OC one week before the season with an even worse choice, draft a pass rusher too young and inexperienced to make an impact, or play a 7th round pick too small to play in the NFL the majority of the season at OLB.

Yeah coaches never make bad decisions....

I wish the Bills had as smart a front office as the Bears. They aren't afraid to trade the farm for a franchise QB. :rolleyes:

PTR

Why, would the BIlls be any worse? The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, Lovie Smith got to the Super Bowl not too long ago. I'm not condoning the trade for Cutler, but I don't see how you justify being smug, and using the good old "rolleyes".

Why, would the BIlls be any worse? The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, Lovie Smith got to the Super Bowl not too long ago. I'm not condoning the trade for Cutler, but I don't see how you justify being smug, and using the good old "rolleyes".

I case you missed my meaning, many hear were screaming that the Bills didn't try to trade for Cutler and were predicting the Bears got their ticket to the SB with Cutler. Turns out not only were they dead wrong, but the Bears mortgaged their future on a QB that they are benching one year after making that blockbuster trade. If the Bills did that people would be jumping off the Skyway.

Lovie may have gotten to one SB but he ain't going back with Todd flippin' Collins at QB. Meanwhile at least the Bills are on track and we didn't piss away our draft picks like some teams.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I case you missed my meaning, many hear were screaming that the Bills didn't try to trade for Cutler and were predicting the Bears got their ticket to the SB with Cutler. Turns out not only were they dead wrong, but the Bears mortgaged their future on a QB that they are benching one year after making that blockbuster trade. If the Bills did that people would be jumping off the Skyway.

Lovie may have gotten to one SB but he ain't going back with Todd flippin' Collins at QB. Meanwhile at least the Bills are on track and we didn't piss away our draft picks like some teams.

PTR

We HOPE they are back on track. I don't think we as Bills fans can really have a laugh at many other teams expense.

And I would trade the farm for a franchise QB, just not Cutler.

Collins had another typical preseason for him--high percentage of passes completed, 9.0 yards per attempt, few mistakes, and passer rating over 100.

His stats were similar in the four regular season games he played in Washington in 2007, leading them to the playoffs.

With such an erratic and immature quarterback in Cutler, I think Lovie Smith finally gives Todd Collins the opportunity he deserves. If so, the Bears can make the playoffs.

I was thinking the other day after the recent stupid quote from Cutler that maybe Cutler is nothing more than just another strong armed bust and that any success he had in Denver was mainly attributable of Shanahan. Shanahan had top 5 offenses with both Brian Griese and Jake Plummer. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/. Collins' run in '07 was remarkable. However, there is no getting around the fact that he is 40 years old and 15 years removed from his last 4 start season.

I doubt Dick Jauron would gamble his last HC chance by moving a slow fat RT to LT, cut him a week before the season, elevate Karl Malone's son to LT, replace a poor choice of an OC one week before the season with an even worse choice, draft a pass rusher too young and inexperienced to make an impact, or play a 7th round pick too small to play in the NFL the majority of the season at OLB.

Yeah coaches never make bad decisions....

I get your point, but I still don't see Cutler riding that pine unless Collins becomes the second coming of Kurt Warner, the ageless wonder.

Yeah, it was probably that same exact reasoning that prevented Joe Gibbs, and then, Jim Zorn, from playing Collins rather than Campbell. In Zorn's case he saw with his own eyes what he had with Collins when Campbell went out (and saw what he had with Campbell) and still made Campbell the starter the next year. In my view, Campbell had never shown himself to be a starting caliber quarterback whereas Collins led the Redskins to their first real success in years.

If Cutler doesn't perform, I say Lovie Smith goes with Collins. Had he stayed, Collins would have led the Bills to much more success than they experienced. He has the accuracy, leadership, toughness, and intelligence that NFl quarterbacks need, and he has proven himself in virtually every opportunity he has had since he was run out of Buffalo.

I might get flamed but I always thought Collins got kind of a raw deal here. He was far from great but it seems like people expected him to be the next Kelly right out of the gate. Who knows what might have happened if they'd hung on to him and those picks they spent on Johnson.

PTR

No they didn't.

and

No they aren't.

I might get flamed but I always thought Collins got kind of a raw deal here. He was far from great but it seems like people expected him to be the next Kelly right out of the gate. Who knows what might have happened if they'd hung on to him and those picks they spent on Johnson.

A raw deal based on how he played? Or did you see starting potential in him through his terrible play?

Keep smoking the crack

Am I insane or does this thread suggest that the Bears bench Cutler for Todd Collins? If so, then we really need a member rep option or a "dislike" button.

Also, for PTR, is it sad that I would still rather have Captain Interception over Captain Checkdown?