Todd Collins will start this year, finally

I might get flamed but I always thought Collins got kind of a raw deal here. He was far from great but it seems like people expected him to be the next Kelly right out of the gate. Who knows what might have happened if they'd hung on to him and those picks they spent on Johnson.

I still remember when Collins was just a rookie and how he had a regular column in Shout magazine before he ever even took an NFL snap. I can't remember what the column was called, but it had the words "Quarterback of the Future" in it, I think. He was kind of anointed as the future QB without ever doing anything to earn it. I agree with you -- it was a lot of pressure for a young kid. He should have respectfully turned down writing the column and focused more on his QB work and earning the respect of his teammates.

Edited by ChasBB

I still remember when Collins was just a rookie and how he had a regular column in Shout magazine before he ever even took an NFL snap. I can't remember what the column was called, but it had the words "Quarterback of the Future" in it, I think. He was kind of anointed as the future QB without ever doing anything to earn it. I agree with you -- it was a lot of pressure for a young kid. He should have respectfully turned down writing the column and focused more on his QB work and earning the respect of his teammates.

How is any of this a "raw deal"?

How is any of this a "raw deal"?

Well, he got a raw deal because he was The Man when he was at Michigan, unlike Tom Brady who had to hire a shrink because Brian Griese kept him nailed to the pine, but look how things turned out. Brady is now talked about as a Hall of Famer, has all this gold plated hardware, the big contract, kids by various supermodels, adoring fans around the globe. And poor Todd Collins just keeps on keeping on toting that clipboard.

Well, he got a raw deal because he was The Man when he was at Michigan, unlike Tom Brady who had to hire a shrink because Brian Griese kept him nailed to the pine, but look how things turned out. Brady is now talked about as a Hall of Famer, has all this gold plated hardware, the big contract, kids by various supermodels, adoring fans around the globe. And poor Todd Collins just keeps on keeping on toting that clipboard.

Yes, that's what happens when you don't produce when given the chance.

And I would trade the farm for a franchise QB, just not Cutler.

Duh! Who wouldn't? But WHO IS a franchise QB? The Bears thought Cutler was one. So did many on this board. The point I'm making is it's all a crap shoot. There are no locks. You can draft a QB #1 every year and the odds are 40% he'll start and maybe 5% he'll be what you would call franchise quality.

PTR

Nice....

And I'll also add;

Cutler>>"insert any Bills QB"

And no chance in hell does Collins get a shot unless Cutler gets hurt, which in the Bears O-Line's case, may in fact happen this year.

I hope Trent plays well enough to get us to the playoffs. I will personally set up a kissing booth where all the doubters can line up to kiss his azz.

PTR

Duh! Who wouldn't? But WHO IS a franchise QB? The Bears thought Cutler was one. So did many on this board. The point I'm making is it's all a crap shoot. There are no locks. You can draft a QB #1 every year and the odds are 40% he'll start and maybe 5% he'll be what you would call franchise quality.

PTR

I wouldn't write off Jay Cutler just yet...

I hope Trent plays well enough to get us to the playoffs. I will personally set up a kissing booth where all the doubters can line up to kiss his azz.

PTR

I don't doubt TE can get us to the playoffs, I doubt our O-line can protect him long enough to get a fair shot.

I think TE and Cutler both are partial victims of shotty O-lines, mixed in with sub-par WR's, and sprinkled with indecisiveness(?)...

However, if I had to choose right now between the two, I'd go with Cutler. He's everything most here complain Edwards is not, or does not have; guts, cannon arm, and the ability to give his WR's a chance to make plays.

I don't doubt TE can get us to the playoffs, I doubt our O-line can protect him long enough to get a fair shot.

I think TE and Cutler both are partial victims of shotty O-lines, mixed in with sub-par WR's, and sprinkled with indecisiveness(?)...

However, if I had to choose right now between the two, I'd go with Cutler. He's everything most here complain Edwards is not, or does not have; guts, cannon arm, and the ability to give his WR's a chance to make plays.

So are Ben Roehtlesberger and Aaron Rodgers, the two QBs sacked more than bills QBs last year...seems they do OK with what they have...

Cutler has never been an elite QB. Even when he was in Denver, his numbers were related more to the talent on offense, and the sheer number of passing attempts.

If it was all about the weapons, then why didnt Orton put up the same numbers while throwing to the same weapons? What about Royal? He had 91 catches as a rookie catching passes from Cutler and vanished with Orton at the helm?

Cutler definitely needs work to be a succesful QB in this league, mainly in decision making. But to attribute all his succes in Denver to his weapons is illogical, especially since it was Cutler who has to deliver the ball to those weapons. People act like the "weapons" around him had some magical gravitational pull that just magically brought the ball to them. Cutler had to drop back, see the open guy, and throw an accurate pass for them to be able to catch it.

Not to mention, Cutler carried that team as the defense couldnt stop a High School offense when he was there. He kept games close by putting points on the board as the defense just kept giving points up. Heck, the Denver defense even made one of the most pathetic offenses that year look good, the Buffalo Bills.

I am not saying good weapons around a QB dont help a QB succeed, what I am saying is that even with great weapons a QB still has to EXECUTE and make the play happen. A great OL can make an average RB look great because anyone, even my grandmother, can run in a straight line through a hole with no defenders in it. But a QB still has to drop back, see the field, time the throw, and make an accurate pass while avoiding the pass rush.

And truthfully, how do you know that the weapons were that "good" and it wasnt Cutler who made them better? Scheffler and Royal were no where near the same players with Orton under center than Cutler under center. So maybe it was Cutler who made them better and not the other way around...

And this isnt to defend Cutler, as its clear and always has been, that he needs to improve his decision making before he can be a very good QB. However, I still see him as a talented QB with a lot of upside if he can work on his decision making.