5 undrafted free agents made team

Pete

This is another clue that the drafting of Levy, Jauron, Modrak, and Brandon was not very good.

Yup, the new guys are trying to overcome a decade of horrendous drafting from 2008 back. I'm quite happy to see some of those stiffs losing their jobs to UDFAs who are thankful to be where they are and will give 110% on every play.

David Nelson

Donald Jones

Domininique Harris (that is badass being an undrafted CB and making this roster)

Cordaro Howard

Antonio Coleman

kudos to the front office!

Not surprised with 4 of the 5, but keeping Jones over Jackson has me scratching my head. They must have liked what they saw on Special Teams as his performance as a wide out seemed substandard at best.

Color me happy that Buddy Nix is running the show and has the gonads to standup the Ralph's bean counters in Detriot. One, two, three years down the line the warm bodies taking up roster spots will be history. Nix knows talent, but rebuilding an extremely talent deprived team will take time.

Me thinks we are saving tons of money by keeping undrafted free agents.

Ha ha! Welcome to the Stadium Wall, where every positive is magically transformed into a negative. People howl about the front office not being able to find talent but we find 5 UDFAs that are good enough to make the roster, and we complain we blew 4 of our draft picks. 1) Get your heads out of your colons. 2) Look around the NFL and see the ratio of players drafted/signed make a roster.

You know there are #1 picks who can't contribute right away (MAybin) but Nix finds a UDFA in David Nelson who will be playing on day 1. That's pretty amazing, not that any of you junior GM's could tell.

PTR

Me thinks we are saving tons of money by keeping undrafted free agents.

You are in idiot. Plain and simple. I'm sorry I had to tell you but someone had to. You are as dumb as a bag of rocks.

For one, if it really was about keeping only cheap players, then why bother drafting players, especially first rounders who cost you $21M in guaranteed money? If it was just a money decision then why is Siller still on the roster and not Joique Bell?

And here's one more nugget to rattle around your empty head: If the only reason we cut people is over money, then the Bills must be cutting some very good players. If that is true then why aren't our cuts being scooped up by other teams??

Dumb as bag of rocks. And sadly, you are just one of many around here.

PTR

Not surprised with 4 of the 5, but keeping Jones over Jackson has me scratching my head. They must have liked what they saw on Special Teams as his performance as a wide out seemed substandard at best.

I thought Jones looked worse each game and his special teams contributions did not appear to standout. He runs nice routes though and he is a rather big and physical receiver with some upside. Don't be fooled by the Yt state pedigree, he was a highly recruited D1 player who just ended up there.

Not that disappointed in Jackson. Despite his great speed he is not a big play threat

Based on the roster they did choose, I would have liked to have seen them keep Hardy because quick sixes are huge and he has the ability to produce them. The reality is though, that if you are a backup and can't play special teams, like Hardy, you have a tough time getting activated on Sundays so those big plays never get a chance to happen. Still would have liked to seen him get another shot. If something happens to Lee Evans, Hardy would be a better option for big play help than Jones.

You are in idiot. Plain and simple. I'm sorry I had to tell you but someone had to. You are as dumb as a bag of rocks.

For one, if it really was about keeping only cheap players, then why bother drafting players, especially first rounders who cost you $21M in guaranteed money? If it was just a money decision then why is Siller still on the roster and not Joique Bell?

And here's one more nugget to rattle around your empty head: If the only reason we cut people is over money, then the Bills must be cutting some very good players. If that is true then why aren't our cuts being scooped up by other teams??

PTR

personal attacks like this should result in banning

but PTR has a history here so he is protected

fine you don't like someone calling out the front office, but it hardly justifies the crap you posted above

personal attacks like this should result in banning

but PTR has a history here so he is protected

fine you don't like someone calling out the front office, but it hardly justifies the crap you posted above

Okay I apologize for the name-calling but it's so frustrating reading endless nonsense about money. It's obvious to me the people who make that argument have not thought it through one second.

PTR

Ha ha! Welcome to the Stadium Wall, where every positive is magically transformed into a negative. People howl about the front office not being able to find talent but we find 5 UDFAs that are good enough to make the roster, and we complain we blew 4 of our draft picks. 1) Get your heads out of your colons. 2) Look around the NFL and see the ratio of players drafted/signed make a roster.

You know there are #1 picks who can't contribute right away (MAybin) but Nix finds a UDFA in David Nelson who will be playing on day 1. That's pretty amazing, not that any of you junior GM's could tell.

PTR

PTR

This is hilarious. Tell us how you really feel. You're dead on and funny at the same time.

It's amazing that there are actually people out there that think that on the final cut down day, that the Bills bean counters are actually in the room dictating the roster. Unbelievable.

Nix is keeping free agents and cutting Vets. Sounds more like he's working with the bean counters. Of course it is not my point that Nix is being cheap, only that, that part of your post is not accurate.

Not true. While Buddy Nix isn't given a blank check so to speak there is a lot more behind the scenes mutual respect between Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix, I'll leave it at that. Ralph Wilson really does want a winning team and the moves of keeping a vet vs. free agent IMO have more to do with talent and how a player can contribute in other facets like special teams. This was and in many respects still a talent deprived team. Bad drafting and bad free agent signings in the past ten years have got us to where we are today as a team. Buddy Nix is a good guy. Knows talent and have faith that he will bring us a winner here in WNY.

I hope someday you get to meet and talk with Buddy Nix. Down to earth good guy and am confident that he will be given all the rescources to build a winner here. Buddy Nix is a no-nonsence class act.

Not true. While Buddy Nix isn't given a blank check so to speak there is a lot more behind the scenes mutual respect between Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix, I'll leave it at that. Ralph Wilson really does want a winning team and the moves of keeping a vet vs. free agent IMO have more to do with talent and how a player can contribute in other facets like special teams. This was and in many respects still a talent deprived team. Bad drafting and bad free agent signings in the past ten years have got us to where we are today as a team. Buddy Nix is a good guy. Knows talent and have faith that he will bring us a winner here in WNY.

I hope someday you get to meet and talk with Buddy Nix. Down to earth good guy and am confident that he will be given all the rescources to build a winner here. Buddy Nix is a no-nonsence class act.

Thanks much LS and it's good to hear that Nix is given some leeway on moves. He's got his work cut out for him to undo what has gone on the past decade and I hope he gets the time to do it, because there's a lot to do improving the roster.

Yeah sure - kudos to the "cash to Cap" cheap budget set by Ralph Wilson, you mean! Personally, I would have preferred 5 free agents signed way back in March, being on the team right now, instead of these 5 over-achievers who may end up having nice NFL careers, but made the Bills mostly due to the lack of talent on the squad! :doh:

aw BillsPhan, you are nauseating with your "ralph is cheap" agenda. It seems like almost every thread that you respond to says something to this effect. Not only is it annoying, but it's just plain false. please stop. Read ptr's comment, I think this applies to you too.

This is hilarious. Tell us how you really feel. You're dead on and funny at the same time.

It's amazing that there are actually people out there that think that on the final cut down day, that the Bills bean counters are actually in the room dictating the roster. Unbelievable.

Unbelievable is right. makes me want to reach through the screen and choke some people. :wallbash::censored:

and as for the udfa- good for them and the fo. The fo gets blasted when they make a bad pic,and they should be commended when they find some good players. :thumbsup:

So who's going to be the pass rusher extraordinaire up front? They're flashing a lot of 4-3 looks which is nice, but there's not one DLineman or LB that has proven they can get to the QB routinely.

Call it Doom and Gloom, call it whatever you want, but facts are facts: This is a rebuilding season.

Okay, well now you've expanded your definition of players on the LOS to include linebackers (where the pass rush in a 3-4 does come from). Not to mention, you seem a little quick to pull the "our-pass-rush-sucks" trigger when we spent an entire preseason NOT blitzing...

Nevertheless, there's no doubt that our two weakest units, by far, are LB and OL. But those are NINE starters that need to be acquired, found, developed, whatever. And you're right, it won't happen over night.

But in regards to what you originally said, I stand by my contention that the DL that has been built during this offseason is NOT an area of need. And I should hope not since Nix bulked up the three-man unit with the team's biggest FA acquisition and our second and third draft picks.

Okay, well now you've expanded your definition of players on the LOS to include linebackers (where the pass rush in a 3-4 does come from). Not to mention, you seem a little quick to pull the "our-pass-rush-sucks" trigger when we spent an entire preseason NOT blitzing...

Nevertheless, there's no doubt that our two weakest units, by far, are LB and OL. But those are NINE starters that need to be acquired, found, developed, whatever. And you're right, it won't happen over night.

But in regards to what you originally said, I stand by my contention that the DL that has been built during this offseason is NOT an area of need. And I should hope not since Nix bulked up the three-man unit with the team's biggest FA acquisition and our second and third draft picks.

They're going to flash a lot of 4-3 looks, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens 40% of the time if not more. And still the question remains: Who are the pass-rushers? And when teams are forced to blitz (a la Perry Fewell last year) to manufacture a pass rush, bad things happen. They simply don't have the 3-4 OLB's nor 4-3 DE's to get to the QB. End of story.

I totally agree with your above statement. It was your statement that Nix had to fight with the bean counters to decided who he was going to keep that I disgreed with. Since he was obviously picking cheaper guys, it must have been because he liked them, not because he was told to. I couldn't find the sarcasm font for the part of my statement the you highlighted but sarcasm was intended.

I am not one of the posters who thinks Ralph always does things on the cheap. Perhaps misguided at times but I think the cheapness was driven out of Ralph by the time the Kelly Bills were born.

Edited by Greybeard

That's one way to look at it.

Yeah,

unfortunately, as much as I am happy to see the play of a David Nelson or a Donald Jones, the Bills spent a top 50 pick on Hardy, and that plain sucks.

Thanks again, Tom Modrak.

Your scouting input on players proves itself yet again.

Sorry, but if your pass rush is any good you should not have to blitz.

Optimism doesn't win football games.

Again, we have two extremes on this board. The "doom and gloom" and the "stay positive" guys. Whats true about both of them? No one wants to be around either of them. I think the "stay positive" guys drive me a little more crazy, just because its a ridiculous concept for any fan to adopt. I give you all the credit in the world for being optimistic in every other part of your life. But, to feel as though you need to consistently be positive OR ELSE, towards your sports team, is kind of strange.

You make a lot of valid points, except for this one at the top, to which I must respond. I would much prefer to be around a "stay positive" guy, who at least realizes that the game is supposed to be fun, and that the future is an uncertain mystery, than someone who thinks that cr@pping on everything makes him smart and realistic. It is not a matter of being positive or else, it is a matter of allowing yourself to enjoy your stroll through the toy department of life that is sports....

In the end, I hope that we will all have plenty to celebrate as Bills fans in the months and years to come. In the meantime, enjoy the football, and stay thirsty, my friends. B-)