Gailey, the anti-Jauron!

Let me ask you this: What player would have a bigger impact on the Bills this year? CJ Spiller or Brian Bulaga? The O-line has to get better but CJ makes the Bills a more dangerous team instantly. That's why they picked him and not reached for a LT. Any QB or LT the Bills could have drafted at #9 would have been a huge reach.

PTR

Agreed. The Bills need first round picks who can be "difference makers" rather than guys who fill a need, but are just adequate to mildly above average(i.e., Whitner). I liked Bulaga coming out, but not at the 9th pick. Spiller, on the other hand, has a chance to be the most dynamic offensive weapon the team's had since Thurmal...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - it's like praising the kid at Burger King for giving you the Whopper within 30 seconds.

However, it's what this organization has been sorely lacking. Jauron would have said that Detroit's d-line was too tough for them and tip his cap to their DC. Gailey says the same thing, but also says our o-line needs to perform better.

None of us think Gailey can do no wrong (ok, *most* of us don't think that) - but we're dealing with an honest, down-to-earth, stand-up guy running the team...instead of a guy who looks lost, emotionless, and has little clue about what's happening with his own team.

Exactly! My biggest cause for optimism was in the Bengals game, when Gailey actually made an in-game ADJUSTMENT to start throwing the ball to open up the running game. Haven't seen that in about 5 years :wallbash:

I am getting a lot of heat for my previous post. I have read everyone replies and I respect them. Many valid points. If I can I would like to clarify myself. IMHO, I think so many of you are so desperate to have a solid successful coach in Buffalo (including myself) that we will turn anything into a positive.

I get so tired of everybody on this board being so positive!

I don't think my position is unrealistic or invalid. I ask what is going to be any different this time around? I refuse to give a coach credit for saying the obvious.

In this case, shouldn't you wait for the actual games to be played before deciding? We can only judge Gailey based on what he has done here in the last seven months since he was hired by the Bills. According to the players, he has changed the culture around the team to be more in line with what successful coaches have done. That is what gives everyone the positive feeling and hope. Time will tell, whether the Bills were right in hiring Nix and Gailey to run this team. For now, their operation is giving the hope that other well established coaches have done.

Let me ask you this: What player would have a bigger impact on the Bills this year? CJ Spiller or Brian Bulaga? The O-line has to get better but CJ makes the Bills a more dangerous team instantly. That's why they picked him and not reached for a LT. Any QB or LT the Bills could have drafted at #9 would have been a huge reach.PTR

But PTR, THEY COULD HAVE TRADED DOWN MULTIPLE TIME COLLECTING PICKS AND STILL PICKED SPILLER AND EVERYONE ELSE EVERYONE HERE WANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills front office is so dumb, Ralph is too cheap, the coaches suck Blah Blah Blah!

In this case, shouldn't you wait for the actual games to be played before deciding? We can only judge Gailey based on what he has done here in the last seven months since he was hired by the Bills. According to the players, he has changed the culture around the team to be more in line with what successful coaches have done. That is what gives everyone the positive feeling and hope. Time will tell, whether the Bills were right in hiring Nix and Gailey to run this team. For now, their operation is giving the hope that other well established coaches have done.

I am encouraged by how the offensive has preformed during the preseason. It has been a vast improvement over the past several years. I will give Gailey credit for that. I will not give Gaily credit for saying the OL preformed poorly....That's just plain silly.

As for your response back, what would you expect the players to say? Who would dare say the coach stinks? Who dare say things aren't looking good in camp and during the preseason. The players didn't even do this in the Juaron era.

Has it ever occurred to you that Gailey might just be an average coach made to look better because of our previous poor coaches? Kind of like owning a Pinto for 15 years then you go out and by a 2008 Kia Rio. Of course the Rio is going to look good and your going to be happy. Drive the Rio for a few years and then you will tell what kinda car you have. Why can't we wait a few years and see what we have in this Gailey guy. I am not convinced he is a BMW or a Kia. Right now, my car is parked in the dealer's lot with the sticker price attached. You can go by the car if you like.

It baffles me how a coach is getting credit for saying how his offensive line performed very poorly? Why should a coach get credit for saying the obvious? Who cares if Jauron would have said that. I think it's time to bury the Jauron comparisons and move on. Can Chan say and do no wrong in your eyes? Instead, I am asking you and coach Gailey/Nix why haven't you done enough to ensure we have a solid OL with good depth? IMHO,some people just miss the big picture...

I think your point on have the done enough to improve the line is very valid. I am very concerned about the starting tackles and the depth at all OL positions.

Exactly! My biggest cause for optimism was in the Bengals game, when Gailey actually made an in-game ADJUSTMENT to start throwing the ball to open up the running game. Haven't seen that in about 5 years :wallbash:

I was very pleased with the adjustment. Then I realized how basic that is. We have had bad coaching for so long.

I think your point on have the done enough to improve the line is very valid. I am very concerned about the starting tackles and the depth at all OL positions.

That's like saying "I think your point about the sun coming up tomorrow is very valid." There are only so many things an organization can do in ONE FRIGGIN' OFFSEASON.

That isn't the way it works. The Bills could have traded down and taken Bulaga and acquired another second round pick.

Who could they have traded down with? Too many people, IMO, think trading down is a simple thing to do. If it was that easy you'd see a lot of teams doing it every year.

That's like saying "I think your point about the sun coming up tomorrow is very valid." There are only so many things an organization can do in ONE FRIGGIN' OFFSEASON.

Here is my question to you and everyone else reading. When Gailey/Nix took over, how many of us thought the team was going to address the QB and OL situations differently than they did this year? Me - I thought for sure they would acquire via draft/free agency much more than what they did. You can say we have many needs and how can they fill all the voids. Valid but it still doesn't take away from my point that they team choose not to adequately address these two issues. Secondly, come next year will the team address these two issues? I fully expect them too but I fully expected it this year. So what will be your response next year? I suspect you will be saying the same thing. We had to fill the OLB position, we needed a pass rusher, we needed a wide receiver, etc...IMHO, your point doesn't give the Bills an out not to adequately address what many consider two most important positions on the field. Look at what Shanaham and the Skins did. Granted they have an owner that spends wildly and hasn't been effective but IMHO, that approach is dead on. You go ahead make all the excuses you want for this team. I refuse to do that. The Bills had ample opportunities to upgrade both positions and they choose to stay put in wait and see/hope mood. I am am not an expert but that position is one I cannot support as a fan.

My original point was correct and the person responding to me was correct. Your comment is senseless and baseless. The concern is legit no matter how you spin it.

Edited by mpl6876

What PTR said.

Let me ask you this: What player would have a bigger impact on the Bills this year? CJ Spiller or Brian Bulaga? The O-line has to get better but CJ makes the Bills a more dangerous team instantly. That's why they picked him and not reached for a LT. Any QB or LT the Bills could have drafted at #9 would have been a huge reach.

PTR

PTR

You hit it Promo..exactly right

Here is my question to you and everyone else reading. When Gailey/Nix took over, how many of us thought the team was going to address the QB and OL situations differently than they did this year? Me - I thought for sure they would acquire via draft/free agency much more than what they did. You can say we have many needs and how can they fill all the voids. Valid but it still doesn't take away from my point that they team choose not to adequately address these two issues. Secondly, come next year will the team address these two issues? I fully expect them too but I fully expected it this year. So what will be your response next year? I suspect you will be saying the same thing. We had to fill the OLB position, we needed a pass rusher, we needed a wide receiver, etc...IMHO, your point doesn't give the Bills an out not to adequately address what many consider two most important positions on the field. Look at what Shanaham and the Skins did. Granted they have an owner that spends wildly and hasn't been effective but IMHO, that approach is dead on. You go ahead make all the excuses you want for this team. I refuse to do that. The Bills had ample opportunities to upgrade both positions and they choose to stay put in wait and see/hope mood. I am am not an expert but that position is one I cannot support as a fan.

My original point was correct and the person responding to me was correct. Your comment is senseless and baseless. The concern is legit no matter how you spin it.

Why is it that only your definition of "addressing the QB and OL situations" is legitimate? Because you thought they were going to address it differently than they did, you are correct and they are not? That's so simplistic it's pathetic.

Is it not "addressing" the QB position if Nix/Gailey evaluated everyone available as a FA or through the draft and determined, "we like what's on our roster better or we'll have to give up too much to get it?" Is it not "addressing" the OT position if Nix/Gailey believe Bell is a legitimate starting LT and a combination of Green/Meredith is sufficient on the right side, or again, that any available upgrade options would come at the expense of being able to do more at other positions?

These aren't "excuses" for my team -- they're legitimate holes in your reasoning. If you want to say, "the Bills didn't draft an OT until the 5th round and didn't sign any high-profile names in FA" that's fine -- it's a fact. If you think they should have -- well, that's your opinion. What it is NOT, however, is proof they didn't "address" the situation. They just didn't address it in the way you wanted.

Why is it that only your definition of "addressing the QB and OL situations" is legitimate? Because you thought they were going to address it differently than they did, you are correct and they are not? That's so simplistic it's pathetic.

Is it not "addressing" the QB position if Nix/Gailey evaluated everyone available as a FA or through the draft and determined, "we like what's on our roster better or we'll have to give up too much to get it?" Is it not "addressing" the OT position if Nix/Gailey believe Bell is a legitimate starting LT and a combination of Green/Meredith is sufficient on the right side, or again, that any available upgrade options would come at the expense of being able to do more at other positions?

These aren't "excuses" for my team -- they're legitimate holes in your reasoning. If you want to say, "the Bills didn't draft an OT until the 5th round and didn't sign any high-profile names in FA" that's fine -- it's a fact. If you think they should have -- well, that's your opinion. What it is NOT, however, is proof they didn't "address" the situation. They just didn't address it in the way you wanted.

Fair response and you are correct in saying that I am not happy with the team's decisions regarding the QB and OL situation. I would venture to say several Bills have share my viewpoint.

Note: So much better responding to you when we are both civil and not slinging mud.

Edited by mpl6876

Fair response and you are correct in saying that I am not happy with the team's decisions regarding the QB and OL situation. I would venture to say several Bills have share my viewpoint.

Note: So much better responding to you when we are both civil and not slinging mud.

Their "decision" was to draft someone other than the guys you wanted them to draft.

I wish I'd saved the links to all the TSW posters throwing tantrums when the Bills made the "decision" to not address the QB position by passing on Leinart and Quinn. Your argument loses all water because it's based wholly on predictions.

Edited by The Big Cat

Take a chill pill. True there is only so much you can do. I just don't think they did enough to address the OL. Not even close.

Are you telling me that they could not bring in any other veteran options on the OL? Other than Wood and Levitre and maybe Hangartner are you really satisfied with the players on the OL? Satisfied with Cordaro Howard as your number one backup gaurd option?

Drinking the Kool Aid can be hazzardous to you and your QB's health.

Edited by Bob in STL

Their "decision" was to draft someone other than the guys you wanted them to draft.

I wish I'd saved the links to all the TSW posters throwing tantrums when the Bills made the "decision" to not address the QB position by passing on Leinart and Quinn. Your argument loses all water because it's based wholly on predictions.

I don't care what the links have said in the past. Past links do not discredit my point or have any bearing on the future. So your argument has no validity whatsoever. Your logic is seriously flawed.

Secondly, you have made an incorrect assumption. I wasn't only talking about the draft. I was also referring to picking up free agents and making trades. We have had several opportunities to make a move via the draft, free agency, and trades. Our organization has chosen to go with what we have and Levi Brown/Wang. I find it hard pressed to believe any fan would be satisfied with their decisions. IMHO, at best what an overly optimistic fan can say is "wait until next year because we had to fill other needs." I am tired of waiting...

My argument does not lose all water as you put it...