Best Special Teamer Ever = Worst Announcer Ever

eschej13

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with OP on Tasker. Really painful to listen to. Bentley is pretty good and I'm reasonably certain he already works with either CBS or FOX during the regular season.

Kelso does a decent job on the radio feed with Murph. Funniest blunder by Murph this preseason, though, was how he called CJ "Corey Spiller" during the Indy game. He did it about five or six times and then, upon returning from commercial break, made fun of himself. It confused the hell out of me while watching and I thought, "does the C in CJ stand for Corey and I just missed it?" :lol:

To tell the truth I kind of enjoyed listening to Steve Tasker and Ray Bentley these last two weeks. I guess my ears have been completely numbed by 27 years of listening to local announcers for the games played by the Washington football club with the racist nickname. These guys (Sonny Jurgenson and Sam Huff) are the worst in the world. My only question about them is do they spit or swallow.

you do realize that you are in DC and not Buffalo right?Sonny and Sam are great if you are a Redskins fan, just like Van was great if you are a Bills fan. Now I hate the Skins, but those guys are enjoyable to listen to.. I miss Frank Herzog though..Touchdown, Washington Redskins!!

I remember watching the USA v. Russia hockey game in 1980, shown on tape delay in Milwaukee. The Americans were trailing after 2, I think the score was 3-2. It was unbelievably tense. During the commercial break just before the top of the 3rd period, the Milwaukee sports guy did a little announcement...."The American hockey team pulls off one of the biggest upsets in the history of sports.....details following the game." His name was Vince Gibbons, and that was his final call for that particular t.v. station.

I'm glad the preseason is over just so that I don't have to listen to Steve Tasker anymore. The guy was a great player and I respect his contributions as he was maybe my favorite player from the 1990s Bills teams. He might be the worst announcer in LEAGUE HISTORY!

He makes mistakes on down and distance, calls players by the wrong name, his analysis is flat-out incorrect at times, its endless. Travis Brown hasn't played for the Bills in 6 years. Kevin Hardy used to be an outside linebacker in jacksonville, not a wide receiver in Buffalo. At one point tonight, I actually asked my wife if she thinks he's drunk. Darby the Dinosaur isn't any better. How does a former player in the 3-4 defense not know basic terminology of the system? He called Poz the "Mike" middle linebacker in the 3-4 tonight. I thought they were the same! WTF!

Why do they have to get some guy to tell me what I am watching just because he used to play? I would rather be entertained by somebody who knows the basics but can articulate himself and not make mistakes.

I never thought Tasker was that bad of an announcer, if he was I don't think he would be on any national games every year. The worst I heard this preseason was the first half against the Bengals, that was like being in a funeral home. Munoz was unbiased, but the other guy was as dry as it gets. Actually, the worst announcer I have ever heard, sadly, was probably Jim Kelly the one year he did it. I would guess he knew he sucked too, which is why he quit after one season.

I think most (if not all) local preseason announcing teams are asswipe homers.

The worst of the homer announcers from this preseason HAVE to be the Eagles announcers. I honestly don't know who they are but I tried to watch a couple games and ended up having to mute it. There was one guy in particular... I just wanted to cram a pile of rocks down his gullet.

Tasker definitely made some goofs, and really hasn't been all that good up in the booth. I think he's a solid sideline reporter though.

Edited by timba

Was Tasker doing the play-by-play? If so, it's a different ball game compared to being the analyst. Some guys who are decent-to-good analysts are horrible PBP announcers.

With regards to the guys like Johnston, Theismann, et al, it's interesting how they can sound good, but really say nothing at all. Many analysts are well-spoken and sound like they know what they're talking about, but really are just blowing hot air. You have to be careful about saying someone is a good analyst when all they do is know how to talk.

It's an art, so different people can like different broadcasters...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

I remember growing up that I always had a strong distaste for Bob Trumpy. He said to be forever crapping on the Bills even when we were good. I vote Bob Trumpy as MY least favorite.

I would agree that Randy Cross is the worst in football

In terms of the worst in sports, I would say Tim McCarver, hands down :thumbdown:

Edited by tbonestake

The TV announcers this preseason was Steve Tasker and Ray Bentley. I was thinking something similar from last weeks' broadcast- Bentley really has a classic announcer's voice. If he can ever figure out what down it is, he could go places in that business.

Even better if he would wear that Alice Cooper eye-black in the booth sometime.

Tasker was pretty bad. But man, did you see the way Ray Bentley was bobbing his head back and forth at times and squinting at the camera. It look like he was trying to read lines from a teleprompter. I was laughing so hard at one point i had to turn the channel for a minute or two.

I'm glad the preseason is over just so that I don't have to listen to Steve Tasker anymore. The guy was a great player and I respect his contributions as he was maybe my favorite player from the 1990s Bills teams. He might be the worst announcer in LEAGUE HISTORY!

He makes mistakes on down and distance, calls players by the wrong name, his analysis is flat-out incorrect at times, its endless. Travis Brown hasn't played for the Bills in 6 years. Kevin Hardy used to be an outside linebacker in jacksonville, not a wide receiver in Buffalo. At one point tonight, I actually asked my wife if she thinks he's drunk. Darby the Dinosaur isn't any better. How does a former player in the 3-4 defense not know basic terminology of the system? He called Poz the "Mike" middle linebacker in the 3-4 tonight. I thought they were the same! WTF!

Why do they have to get some guy to tell me what I am watching just because he used to play? I would rather be entertained by somebody who knows the basics but can articulate himself and not make mistakes.

Totally agree. I have been saying that for several years now. Your points are well made. I still cannot understand how these announcers don't even prepare for these games. If I did the job they did, I would'nt have one very long.

To me it isn't that Tasker is so bad, it's just that he is such a !@#$ing homer it embarrasses me.

Bentley usually isn't bad at all that way, except for last night after they spoke at length to a buffalobills.com writer (his name escapes me) and it was a homer-fest the likes of which I have never seen before. According to this guy, the Bills are almost a lock to win the AFC East. I made it through his segment but Bently stayed in homer mode after that and I eventually caved and went for the mute.

Thank God the preseason is over.

I remember growing up that I always had a strong distaste for Bob Trumpy. He said to be forever crapping on the Bills even when we were good. I vote Bob Trumpy as MY least favorite.

I would agree that Randy Cross is the worst in football

Sorry - I admit Cross is probably the worst now, but if you missed the late HoF coach Bill Walsh as a color guy, you missed truly the worst ever.

Every word out of his mouth was clouded by a clear message in tone that said "I hate this job, I hate being here, I want to go back to coaching."

He was boring in his content, monotone in his delivery, and sometimes would just clam up completely because, seemingly, he just didn't give damn.