Clayton ranks Edwards 31 of 33

Coach55

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview10/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5489176

I am so hoping he plays up to his potential so we can shove it up Clayton's @#!. Edwards has had a rough start to a career, but if he keeps playing like he has the past two pre-season games, he could end up having a really good year. I love it that everyone is picking us to suck. It will give us die hard fans who believe more fuel for the fire when they roll into the playoffs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.g...john&id=5489176

I am so hoping he plays up to his potential so we can shove it up Clayton's @#!. Edwards has had a rough start to a career, but if he keeps playing like he has the past two pre-season games, he could end up having a really good year. I love it that everyone is picking us to suck. It will give us die hard fans who believe more fuel for the fire when they roll into the playoffs.

John Clayton is a jock-sniffing panty-waste who has never competed for anything in his entire life! If he never called out Sean Salisbury he would be back scraping gum off the floor at the Regal! Why his opinion matters I have no idea. Most likely because the Church of ESPN says his opinion should matter. He is joke. :wallbash:

I think Edwards will be better than 31 of 33, but I can see Clayton's reasoning based on past performance. The sad state of the coaching and the poor offensive line have to be factored into the assessment, but in the final analysis the way Edwards is going to work his way up the chart is by winning football games. I think his performance this preseason should give us some confidence.

Edwards was the BACKUP for a large part of a season for a team that won a whopping 6 games. It's surpising he's not 33/33. While he's been solid so far in preseason, his current ranking is well deserved. Hopefully he has a break-out year this year!

Edited by RyanC883

I think the last coaching staff did a great job of getting 6-7 wins out of this team the last 4 years. Most of our previous coaching staff got job offers right away, which is a sign that they can coach. If Buffalo does every find a qb that ranks in the top 16, this bills team could be decent. Let's hope that day comes soon.

There is no way he is better than 2 other starters.

You homers are hilarious. Take a step back and look at this team. We stink. And we don't have a starting QB on our roster.

But by all means, keep getting your panties in a bunch when a member of the media states the obvious.

Have any of you WATCHED Trent over the last few seasons?

He says the situation is exactly the same for Edwards as in 2007, considering the fact that Lee Evans is still the only receiving option, but the offensive line is much worse. I know the receivers are mostly young and untested, and this is clearly one of the challenges for the coaching staff this season--- but the emergence of Fred Jackson the last 2 seasons and the addition of CJ Spiller really don't provide any additional receiving options for Edwards (or even providing a cushion for Edwards by vastly improving the run game threat)? Parrish being properly utilized for the first time in his career I can get being overlooked and dismissed as inconsequential--- but how exactly is the offensive line much worse than in 2007? I would only take the 2007 Jason Peters from that line. Levitre and Wood are obviously huge upgrades and I would certainly argue that Haungartner (while not great) is an upgrade from Fowler/Preston. ESPN doesn't really need to do their homework on lesser teams like the Bills, though, until they start off 5-1 beating creampuffs like in 2008, in which case they can just as inaccurately declare them contenders and hype them as up and comers. This kind of 3rd grade assessment calls into question the assessments of every team not in Foxboro or possibly New York (not that accurate assessments are necessarily provided for those teams either, just ad hoc PR).

Playing well in a preseason game after the opposing team pulls some of their starters doesn't mean much... plus the fact that the Bills could have been flagged on almost every good offensive play for holding.

We can really get an understanding of what this team can really do once we see them play a full game, its my thought that this team will fail badly in the fourth QTR.

Its not so much Edwards as it is the offensive line and protections that have failed the last 3 years

There is no way he is better than 2 other starters.

You homers are hilarious. Take a step back and look at this team. We stink. And we don't have a starting QB on our roster.

But by all means, keep getting your panties in a bunch when a member of the media states the obvious.

Have any of you WATCHED Trent over the last few seasons?

Not that I really think Edwards is currently in any position to rated higher, exactly, but Clayton's grading system has the appearance of thoughtful analysis and intelligent consideration but it's clearly just a load of cobbled together nonsense. Mark Sanchez has a 55% chance of being elite (according to Clayton's carefully delineated standards for elite QBs)? This assessment must have come from the Sid Gillman Laboratory at the Fermi Institute.

But yeah, Edwards needs to prove himself first before he gets any deserved accolades.

I think ranking Edwards ahead of Matt Moore is pretty generous, based on last year's play. And while Delhomme was definitely worse than Edwards last year, I'm surprised that Clayton didn't rank Delhomme higher based on his past success (he certainly took pre-2009 success in account when ranking Brady above Brees, or Roethlisberger above Rodgers). All in all, this was a pretty positive Edwards ranking from a neutral observer. Nice to see Clayton finally showing the Bills some love.

I rank Clayton 129th out of 130 as a reporter

I've mentioned before John's predictions or anything that involves his evaluation is always off, way OFF. Which is encouraging for Bills fans even though I was on the dump Edwards train after last season, I switched when they hired Gailey because that guy can turn garbage into a statue. Clayton however on who's going where with free agency etc is usually spot on.

I don't believe for a second that we will make the playoffs.

I don't believe for a second that we will have anywhere near the worst record in the league.

I don't believe you know what will really happen this year.

I don't believe I know what will really happen this year.

That's why we play the games!

Edwards was the BACKUP for a large part of a season for a team that won a whopping 6 games. It's surpising he's not 33/33. While he's been solid so far in preseason, his current ranking is well deserved. Hopefully he has a break-out year this year!

If you went by your assertion, there are 8 other teams with records worse than ours. So edwards should have been at least 24th. I have no problems with Clayton's opinion. He is paid to give his opinion. Does it mean his opinions are always correct? No.

One might quibble over the order in the last bracket, but there is no doubt that Edwards belongs in that last bracket until he proves he can operate an NFL passing offense efficiently and consistently in the regular season, in the red-zone, for more than 200 yards, can stay healthy, can be the leader of the team, etc.

I like how the Arizona QB position is ranked as a group while the Steelers QB position is ranked as two individuals. :thumbdown:

Sports media is just an extension of the entertainment industry. Guys like Clayton don't get their gigs because they are especially insightful or accurate. They get them because they are interesting and articulate.

Some of us find knowledgeable sports writers more interesting and so guys like Dr. Z do find jobs. I only read Clayton because from time to time he does stumble across something that hasn't been reported yet. As for talent evaluation, he's just another fan.