Chan's relationship with Trent

Heitz

I hate Dick Jauron more and more every day of my life. This is the icing on the cake and everything I always thought about his ability to coach.....................

Does anyone know the story on Jauron's rise to the HC position? It has to be a Peter Principle fiasco of epic proportions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article states that Trent has won the job. Has this been announced?

I haven't given up on the 2010 Bills yet, but if they announce that Trent wins the job, I will have to.

Has anyone heard this? I thought Chan said the competition was still open.

yes

trent has started the last two practice games and its being reported hes getting more first team reps than the others

chan says its open to keep pressure on trent and to make it easier to yank him if he goes in the tank again. but its only really open in the sense that trent needs to collapse or somebody else has to go balls out to make the switch.

it appears very likely trent will start at least until four real games have been played - or until he gets hurt. he would need to bomb out in at least two of them to make the switch

brohm likely will get his chance to start once the bills are eliminated from the postseason. so look for him to get the nod around game five lol jk but really game ten or so cuz this is a four win team

This article reinforces what I've said about both Trent and Jauron's coaching. Jauron nearly ruined Trent, but I recall the kid who impressed us all with his quick reads/release, accuracy, and command of the huddle. Nobody could have fared well with the many unbelievable things DJ did last year which don't need to be brought up again. But the thing that bothers me the most is not who he cut or fired 1 week before the games started, but who he failed to bring in. The Bills were the only team without a freaking QB coach. Probably the only team in decades without a QB coach. Van Pelt, clearly over his head, was both a first time coordinator and the QB coach. Which of course means he wasn't coached at all. I like AVP but he was brought in as a fan/owner pleaser - he was not qualified to run an NFL offense unless that offense expected results of the 'mediocre at best' variety. The teams we beat last year we beat because we had a defense that was occasionally competent and took the ball away.

It's astounding to me that the players didn't rip DJ about his lack of adjustments. But, I think I understand why, at least partly. Because they liked him as a man if not as a coach who can win. It's no different from how many fans, including me, defended Jauron for too long because he's a stand up guy that's respected around the league. I promise, I've learned my lesson: Never again will I give a coach the benefit of the doubt just because he's not a douchebag. Being a good guy should be par for the course, just as it is (or should be) in our lives. Not a quality that makes one exceptional.

F*@#$!, are you kidding me? No adjustments? No wonder they ALWAYS got their ass handed to them in the second half.

Edited by nodnarb

Whitner's comments seem to be in line with what some of the Bills opponents had to say about playing against the Bills, over the last few years. I can't remember who it was, for some reason I think it may have been a Patriot player, who made some very cutting remarks about the Bills after they had kicked the Bills asses. Something like "We always know what they are going to do..."

I remember the Cowboys saying the same things about the Bills defense in the Super Bowl years. IIRC some of them on offense were laughing at how vanilla and simplistic the Bills were and they always knew what we were going to do.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13815243/bills-camp-report-chan-the-man-that-can-help-qb-edwards-needs

Nice article, I loved this quote from Whitner:

"Because of the coaching staff," said safety Donte Whitner. "I don't mean to knock anybody, but I know with some of the things we did in the past some of the teams would look at us and guys would say, 'We don't understand what you guys are doing.' We sort of had our own ways of doing things, which were unique to the National Football League.

"Guys would say, 'You come out and play hard, but no adjustments? We knew you would do this and do that.' [The difference is] having a coaching staff that knows we have to make adjustments."

Couldn't agree more!!

Proof positive that Jauron was a lost puppy. He always had those "deer in the headlights" eyes on game day. :wallbash:

I remember the Cowboys saying the same things about the Bills defense in the Super Bowl years. IIRC some of them on offense were laughing at how vanilla and simplistic the Bills were and they always knew what we were going to do.

Stems from Marv insisting that the team that executed the best would win, thereby overlooking the fact that the team lining up across from them also happened to be conference champions. Throwing a wrinkle or two into a gameplan, especially in big games, happened to be a forte of all the coaches we faced those four years, and not a particular strength of Saint Levy.

Stems from Marv insisting that the team that executed the best would win, thereby overlooking the fact that the team lining up across from them also happened to be conference champions. Throwing a wrinkle or two into a gameplan, especially in big games, happened to be a forte of all the coaches we faced those four years, and not a particular strength of Saint Levy.

Agree is a way but the strength of coaches like Levy/ Jauron was also their biggest weakness. Walt Corey should have been fired the second he put one of the greatest pass rushing DEs in a 3-4 defense. Imagine how many sacks Bruce could have had in a 4-3? Additionally, Jauron's insistence of never hiring a veteran, proven OC killed any chance he had at a playoff team.

I love loyalty but it is highly risky to keep failing/ unproven coaches at very important positions on your team.

In my opinion, Marv Levy bears most of the responsibility for the Bills being 0-4 in Super Bowls. His failure to control a team that was clearly more talented is the primary reason they played like ass when it came to the big game.

It's no secret that the team ran around Fredonia like a bunch of drunk frat boys. What they lacked in discipline they made up for in raw talent. A bit more discipline and focus and we might have won 3 of the 4.

I won't even go into the debacle that Marv Levy the GM was.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Yeah but, say whatever you want to about the job Levy did but all problems which can be traced to Levy need to be traced beyond him to Mr. Ralph.

Any Levy complaints even though they may be accurate are merely a sideshow to stopping the buck where the buck really needs to stop.

Wouldn't you agree that:

1. The O for a decade playoffless streak well before Marv got here and it is silly to blame him for the debacles of the TD era, totally having a dysfunctional relationship between the owner and the GM, and a series of the owner exercising his financial right to meddle even if he is demonstrably bad at making football judgments (going back to making a handshake deal with Jimbo that was simply wrong and only he could make.

2. Ralph deserves plaudits for keeping the team here, but right along with this comes a bunch of horrendous W/Ls that happened to HIS team and these facts should be considered in context (he kept the team here) but it would be stupid to ignore reality by trying to blame this debacle on Marv.

3. Who is responsible for hiring Marv.

Its hard for me to see how anyone can claim this stems from Marv when pretty clearly it started before Marv was hired, continued after his short caretaker run, and if Marv is so bad then it says volumes about the guy who hired him (actually out of desperation as Mr. Ralph had so badly messed up the TD years.

In my opinion, Marv Levy bears most of the responsibility for the Bills being 0-4 in Super Bowls. His failure to control a team that was clearly more talented is the primary reason they played like ass when it came to the big game.

It's no secret that the team ran around Fredonia like a bunch of drunk frat boys. What they lacked in discipline they made up for in raw talent. A bit more discipline and focus and we might have won 3 of the 4.

+1,000,000!!! I've said that for years.

PTR

The article states that Trent has won the job. Has this been announced?

I haven't given up on the 2010 Bills yet, but if they announce that Trent wins the job, I will have to.

Has anyone heard this? I thought Chan said the competition was still open.

And you call yourself a fan. You will give up on a team after the coaches determine he is the best QB? If the other 3 can't win the job what does it tell you about them. The fan boys around here who think a guy who can't even beat out a 7th rounder for the starting role in GB, is still third on the depth chart in Buffalo, never thrown a TD in any preseason or regular season game, deserves the starting role. You're crazy if you think they are going to hand the keys over to the worst QB on the squad. The only hope Brohm provides is that he gets cut in the early group so folks like you can get over your fantasy that the weak armed, never been, wanna be QB is out of the picture.

had he simply enacted a curfew during the Super Bowl weeks, we probably wouldve won at least 2 of them.

I've felt this way for a long time, too. I remember when they fired Polian, I thought they fired the wrong man. With the talent on that team the Bills should have won at least two of those games.

Despite the disaster of injuries, the continued miserable coaching of DJ, axing the OC and starting LT within 10 days of the season opener, and a midseason coaching change the Bills were within 3 game of the Jets and 1 game of the Dolphins in the standings, hardly "by far" the worst team. Suggesting a better coached team with a number of injured starters returning can't show a significant improvement in the standings is more than a bit pessimistic. I think the continued frustration of mediocrity combined with the utter exasperating and unwatchably boring/painful nature of Bills football over the last ten years has convinced many people that this team is much worse/more talentless than it actually is. I also think that the fact that the Pats* are in our division has led to the national media thinking the AFC East is much tougher than it actually is. While we won't actually know until the regular season starts, I think the Jets and 'Phins, and possibly even the Pats* will turn out to be more preseason hype than reality. The idea that the Jets are SB or bust makes me laugh.

I never stated that the Jets will be a SB team. What I know for sure is that they are immensely better than the Bills. If you think the Bills are better than I am portraying them in this division then tell which team in the division is not better than the Bills? The three other teams in our division might not be as good as others are predicting. But that isn't my central point. As it stands going into this year it is my view, and the view of almost every NFL analayst on the planet, the Bills are the worst team in our division.

Been a Whitner defender and love the Gailet attitude here, but I think it's bush league to do this. Whitner and company used to praise Jauron all the time. All I know is that Whitner needs to play like a pro bowler this year.

You make an excellent point. What is the purpose of bashing a departed HC? He's gone. Jauron was not a good HC. That is obvious. But he is a classy person who never made excuses or called out players when the team was struggling. Dick Jauron left with dignity and class. I don't remember him making disparging remarks against the owner or organization.

I'm not criticizing any player or staffer who is critical of the former HC. But going public is not a very classy way to conduct oneself in this situation. The players need to move on and not rehash the negativity of the prior years. Concentrate on what needs to be done and don't dwell on the past.

The Bills' organization hired DJ, gave him and extension and then gave him more authority on personnel matters. So there is more than enough blame to go around on this very troubled franchise.

From the linked article:

"There was a feeling in past seasons that three or four people were advising Edwards, with the young quarterback trying to satisfy the last coach he heard. That can happen when you have four offensive coordinators in four years, except Edwards is working on his eighth in nine seasons, dating back to his career at Stanford University.

"It's almost not fair to judge a guy on that," said a sympathetic Gailey."

That's eight offensive coordinators in nine years for Trent. Ouch.

Edwards career stats;

Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds

Avg TD FUM Lost

2009 Buffalo Bills 8 7 110 183 60.1 1,169 6.4 6 7 23 139 73.8 14 106 7.6 0 1 0

2008 Buffalo Bills 14 14 245 374 65.5 2,699 7.2 11 10 23

143 85.4 36 117 3.3 3 9 5

2007 Buffalo Bills 10 9 151 269 56.1 1,630 6.1 7 8 12 105 70.4 14 49 3.5 0 4 0

TOTAL 506 826 61.3 5,498 6.7 24 25 58 387 77.9 64 272

4.2 3 14 5

He has a 58% completion percentage, 24 touchdowns and 25 Int.s, A 77.9 QB rating. Considering what he went through with Jauron's OC du jours, he did pretty well. Injuries are my biggest concern.