Tuesday Morning Practice: Some Impressions

Astrobot

1. Bills did Wildcat formation on the first drill. One Spiller run looked pretty good, but Spiller's one pass out of the Wildcat was awful, and he was good-naturedly booed by the offense. Later in 11 on 11, they ran the Wildcat again--the defense knew it was coming.

2. The offensive line is very spirited, even when doing the sled that prevents them from blocking too high. Lots of whoopin' and hollerin'.

3. Hennesay was not used at TE, but JP Foschi (I think he'll be #82, not #88 as listed in the roster, which is also Stupar's #) can catch the football and has balance. He made a forward lean to catch a pass on an out route and actually recovered his balance and ran with it. He had another great catch from Edwards later on in 11-11.

4. Spiller was beaten a couple of times in protection drill. Simpson and Joique Bell are ahead of him in this. Simpson is better than Bell at protection, but Bell is better than Simpson at receiving and running. Joique Bell is going to make a 53-man roster. Just might not be ours. I wish he could be.

5. McIntyre loves to block, but he's a nifty receiver. He showed great hands on an out route to both sides.

6. Moats laid a WR out so well that an entire play was disrupted.

7. McCargo is much better at DE than he was at DT. He is penetrating and relentless. He knows he's in a battle at DE. I won't say he's made the team because a bunch of them look good. Carrington needs time, Stroud is a sure thing, Dwan Edwards looks like the disrupting type, and Spencer Johnson, while I didn't notice him today, has impressed others. I like Rashaad Duncan for the PS at DE; he gets a strong push.

8. All four QB's are throwing late, often 1-2 seconds after the WR has made the cut. On one set of throws, an out route, the throw came so late that the DB would have time to react and be on top of the WR. Watch for it vs. Cincy on Saturday.

9. Cordaro Howard would have been penalized twice for holding this morning. Levitre and Wood are such effective blockers it's sick. Bell is coming on.

10. Props to Lonnie Harvey and Torrell Troup, who hold the point of attack and (if singled) can push the pile back. Lonnie should push something at 342 lbs. Troup is 315 and Kyle Williams is listed at 306, but he's gained weight).

11. One word about the hecklers: There were two guys (I'm guessing college-age) who were giving Trent the business, and keeping it up for the whole practice. It was irritating, but he was encouraged by those around him. It went on longer than "just having fun". It's amazing what some people will do to compensate for their uh, shortcomings.

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review, Bot.

Did you hear the coaches calling out the QBs for holding the ball too long.

Let the damn thing GO!

My hearing sux, but the fact that it wasn't just one of the QB's that was throwing late, but all of them. They aren't working on timing patterns that I can discern.

My hearing sux, but the fact that it wasn't just one of the QB's that was throwing late, but all of them. They aren't working on timing patterns that I can discern.

That's the part that really caught me. If the coaches aren't on them to throw more quickly into the routes, then they are complicit in this, IMO.

Foschi sounds like the best TE on the team already. And I can't see them cutting Joique Bell.

We'll probably see Stupar start Saturday, with Foschi playing with the twos, and maybe the heckler in mop-up.

I think Joique Bell could be put on the PS, but could be signed off of it. Lynch is still limping, Jackson less so. That leaves Spiller getting more work, with Bell and Simpson in the 2nd half. I think Simpson and Andre Anderson get waived when Lynch and Jackson are game-ready.

8. All four QB's are throwing late, often 1-2 seconds after the WR has made the cut. On one set of throws, an out route, the throw came so late that the DB would have time to react and be on top of the WR. Watch for it vs. Cincy on Saturday.

Astro

Good report. Thanks.

That's been my biggest criticism of our QBs. That's prety much all I watch for... do they plant that foot and throw? Or are they planting, lookig, patting, then throwing? More often than not there's the hesitation. If they don't get that corrected, we're screwed.

Edited by Dan

11. One word about the hecklers: There were two guys (I'm guessing college-age) who were giving Trent the business, and keeping it up for the whole practice. It was irritating, but he was encouraged by those around him. It went on longer than "just having fun". It's amazing what some people will do to compensate for their uh, shortcomings.

Astro

One of them didn't happen to be wearing a purple unicorn outfit did they?

Can't imagine them putting J Bell on PS. he's got youth on his side, opposed to jackson, and well Lynch is lynch. Really hope they can figure out a way to carry 4 RBs, or at least to keep Bell in the mix.

thx for report!

Thanks for the report Bot :) It's encouraging to know that Levitre and Wood are showing their growing monstrous ways. There must be a way we can keep Joique on the 53 man roster. We'll need all the quality running back help with all the running we'll be doing and I wouldn't want to risk putting him on the ps.

The qb's need to start throwing sooner. Enough with the hesitation. There's time to keep working on that.

Cut the long snapper :wallbash: +1 to the running backs (I hate that we keep him, there must be other players that could step up to this job, and yes I know it is done to minimize the injury issue during the season) it is the perfect job for a back up Oline player, ever since teams started doing this (and our team in particular) it has had my panties in a bunch.

Thanks, Astro. Great stuff.

I'm very sorry to hear that the QBs are getting the ball out late. And interested to hear that McCargo looks better at DE.

It's also good to hear what was behind the incident where Gailey went over and yelled at them, and that Wood and Levitre are improving.

Edited by Thurman#1

Great report - thanks. I'm actually hopeful Foschi is the silver lining and outplays Nelson and Schouman keeping them on the bench when they get back.

Can you confirm who the two nuckleheads were from this video

http://www.cbssports...ng-fans/cbsnews

Is it the dorky looking kid w/ the #31 shirt and glasses and the kid in the red shirt next to him? They look like they're 12 years old. Don't want to turn this into 'that' thread, but I've read eyewitness accounts on other boards that what they were yelling was *much* worse than haircut critiques and considered very offensive by many people around them (and not appropriate for children). How would you characterize what they were yelling?

The timing and late throws may not be the QB's. The receivers maybe coming out of their cuts early, breaking them off a couple of yards short of where they should thus forcing the late throws. if it was one, then I'd say okay, but since it was more than one it was the receivers who were reading and breaking off and all the Qbs reading something different.