Tuesday Morning Practice: Some Impressions

Astrobot

Running game

My comments here come as a real surprise. Andy Levitre had a bad first three series, characterised by two major mistakes in the running game. I don't suggest he is solely to blame, but definately more that 50% in both cases. My analysis here is very quick and dirty because I am at work, but...

1. In the first series, the play call is a toss left to Spiller, with McIntyre and Levitre out in front. Levitre pulls from LG and he and McIntrye meet at the point of attack and get in each others way as they block the man at the edge. Levitre has got to be quicker out of his stance and down the back of the line here. Instead, he drops too deep on the pull, gets tangled up in a block (looks like a designed kick out block) that McIntyre has to make (into a seal) for him, and is then behind the play that Spiller takes for positive yards. Had Levitre got to his block in time, McIntyre would have been out in front of Spiller to spring him for more yards... Alternatively, McIntyre makes that block and Levitre kicks out at the second level, giving CJ more room to run.

2. Third seies. Play call looks a bit like a long Trap to the right. Again, Levitre is very slow to make his pull down the back of the OL to the right and Spiller gets blown up 4 yards deep.

Good stuff, Nick! You had me at "Chaps" and "Offence"! Anyway, I watched Wood and Levitre specifically in the first half, and had two observations: Levitre was relentless and effective more often than not, and Wood sometimes was TOO effective. By that I mean he made his block, continued 7-10 yards downfield, and the tackle was then made BEHIND him.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, Nick! You had me at "Chaps" and "Offence"! Anyway, I watched Wood and Levitre specifically in the first half, and had two observations: Levitre was relentless and effective more often than not, and Wood sometimes was TOO effective. By that I mean he made his block, continued 7-10 yards downfield, and the tackle was then made BEHIND him.

LOL Wood was too effective. What a great problem to have :D Wood is turning into a monster. Wood and Levitre. One could turn into a Beast and another a superb technician. I luv our guards.

LOL Wood was too effective. What a great problem to have :D Wood is turning into a monster. Wood and Levitre. One could turn into a Beast and another a superb technician. I luv our guards.

How long before he starts pulling a Jason peters?