Paladino's idea for welfare reform

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's a bit draconian, but the idea of getting many welfare recipients to work in the public works, military and park services doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I'd support that and I don't see why anyone else wouldn't either, unless of course you are a freeloader.

Paladino says that the entire program would be voluntary.

Well I hope that mug wasn't voluntary- and by voluntary does he mean that people on welfare have the choice of keeping the benefits they have now as opposed to going to relocation camps or does it mean they have the voluntary choice of relocation or nothing? I like that the prison guards would be retrained as counselors, do you think they mean the normal 4 year degree or a two week training course- I have the feeling it will look a little like this http://www.laughness.com/drill-sergeant-therapist.1407

Well, it's a bit draconian, but the idea of getting many welfare recipients to work in the public works, military and park services doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I'd support that and I don't see why anyone else wouldn't either, unless of course you are a freeloader.

I don't mind public works, and park services either, I think it's the relocation process that is neither humane or well thought out.

Paladino says that the entire program would be voluntary.

Living in the dorms would be voluntary, not the program itself. Which is how it should be. That way you're not giving the appearance of sequestering welfare recipients, but instead offering them better living conditions than they would otherwise be able to get, while making people earn their money. Talking about teaching them hygiene was politically stupid though, and is already being used as a means to attack the proposed program.

Edited by Doc

The public service unions will crap all over the idea and raise holy hell. I like the thinking though as it makes better use of spending.

Yet another idea that seems to have some value in principle...worth it to at least go through some due diligence to determine if it's worth pursuing...but will get derailed because the message wasn't delivered properly to accommodate the people who need to piss on any new ideas to help the helpless.

The helpless don't need incentives! They just need more freebies, dammit! And those rich people over there have plenty of money to take care of them. Prisons, indeed... <_<

Edited by LABillzFan

To take it a step further, right now there is a serious problem not just in the amount of people that are unemployed but the length of time they've been out of work. All the people that are receiving extended unemployment checks should have the option to go to job-retraining classes offered by the government. Worker skills are diminishing, and retraining these individuals for employment is a real challenge. There are some fields that WILL net jobs moving forward such as in the health care and alternative energies industry.

All the people that are receiving extended unemployment checks should have the option to go to job-retraining classes offered by the government. Worker skills are diminishing, and retraining these individuals for employment is a real challenge.

Not being a smart alec, but has anyone gone through or know anyone who has gone through a "job re-training course?" I'm curious if they have any value or just a bunch of fluff.

Not being a smart alec, but has anyone gone through or know anyone who has gone through a "job re-training course?" I'm curious if they have any value or just a bunch of fluff.

Yes, they can work with proper guidance. This is not your normal run of the mill recession, the amount of time that people are remaining unemployed is at an all time high. This is worrisome, specially considering that trend will continue. People are losing job skills; the area of the labor force hit the hardest are in the construction and manufacturing sector, many of these people don't have sufficient job skills to seek employment comprable to what they were doing before. The promising part of our economy is that there are demographic shifts that will produce demand for services.

I was supposed to attend one a few months ago when I was unemployed. Basically some half-assed state funded group therapy (the outline for the traning involved a full morning of group discussion about the emotional impact of unemployment, in order to - and this is a direct quote - "take the participants from 'victim' to 'victor'".

Needless to say, I blew it off. Got in serious trouble for it, too...apparently, without the state's guidance, I've remained a "victim". <_<

I was supposed to attend one a few months ago when I was unemployed. Basically some half-assed state funded group therapy (the outline for the traning involved a full morning of group discussion about the emotional impact of unemployment, in order to - and this is a direct quote - "take the participants from 'victim' to 'victor'".

Needless to say, I blew it off. Got in serious trouble for it, too...apparently, without the state's guidance, I've remained a "victim". <_<

In fairness to Mr. Paladino's fine idea, you're probably not the type, class or color of person he's targeting here.

Able bodied welfare recipients should obviously be required to show up for some public service work, but I don't get why we'd want to also pay to house them.

I'm assuming that the housing is already being paid-for and/or their welfare check would decrease by the amount it costs to house them.

Probably not, but I suspect he could use some guidance from Mr. Paladino regarding his personal hygiene.

I can't speak to DC Tom's hygiene, but you don't need to be a certain class, color, or type to have poor personal hygiene. And again, it was a stupid comment by Palladino.