Toronto doesn't deserve the Bills

No idea if there's already another topic on this subject, but I was reading through all the headlines from the game yesterday and the Toronto reporters continue to have no problem bashing the whole idea of the Bills playing there. It seems that most articles out of Toronto just reiterate how horrible attending a Bills game is. I understand that most of the Bills games there so far have been unexciting, but if they can't appreciate last night's game, what can they ever appreciate? I can't fully express how much this annoys me right now, but I do know that for all that the Bills put us through, us true Bills fan do appreciate what we have.

Is anyone else annoyed with this attitude coming from Toronto?

i look at this whole deal from a bills fan's perspective. the loyalists lose a home game due to the apparent greed of littman and the detroit gang. ralph makes a very decent profit and why this was ever implemented is beyond me. i have said that anyone in toronto who ACTUALLY likes the bills, roots for them, prefers to come to the ralph and do the whole experience. the rest of the people probably could care less . the bills, in their arrogance, the arrogance that permeates throughout the NFL, assumed people would race to the rogers center just because it is a team close by and it is the almighty NFL!. i am glad it is a total flop. end it! if the powers that be are saying the long term viability of the team depends on one game up there, i am not buying it. it was a money grab and a kick in the a$$ to bills fans.

i look at this whole deal from a bills fan's perspective. the loyalists lose a home game due to the apparent greed of littman and the detroit gang. ralph makes a very decent profit and why this was ever implemented is beyond me. i have said that anyone in toronto who ACTUALLY likes the bills, roots for them, prefers to come to the ralph and do the whole experience. the rest of the people probably could care less . the bills, in their arrogance, the arrogance that permeates throughout the NFL, assumed people would race to the rogers center just because it is a team close by and it is the almighty NFL!. i am glad it is a total flop. end it! if the powers that be are saying the long term viability of the team depends on one game up there, i am not buying it. it was a money grab and a kick in the a$$ to bills fans.

Exactly!

Why would they go to the Roger's Centre and spend more... When they can drive 90 miles and spend less and get a better game day event.

No idea if there's already another topic on this subject, but I was reading through all the headlines from the game yesterday and the Toronto reporters continue to have no problem bashing the whole idea of the Bills playing there. It seems that most articles out of Toronto just reiterate how horrible attending a Bills game is. I understand that most of the Bills games there so far have been unexciting, but if they can't appreciate last night's game, what can they ever appreciate? I can't fully express how much this annoys me right now, but I do know that for all that the Bills put us through, us true Bills fan do appreciate what we have.

Is anyone else annoyed with this attitude coming from Toronto?

Toronto has never identified with Buffalo or the Bills.

they see themselves as a world city not lunch bucket. Most people from Toronto think of Irv Weinstein and fires on the east side news in relating to Buffalo.

Most NFL fans in Toronto follow the winners in the past..Miami, Dallas, Indy, These are the teams they saw on TV.

IMHO

Exactly!

Why would they go to the Roger's Centre and spend more... When they can drive 90 miles and spend less and get a better game day event.

My father who still lives in the area says this is exactly why people don't want to go. Try tailgating in Toronto.

I have posted this before.

I bought season tickets for the bills 7 games + 1 preseason game= approx 1200.00 Cdn

The exact two seats for the Bills in Toronto series 1 real game + 1 preseason game=1100.00 plus fees and taxes

The prices are brutual and you have to take a preseason game, which when buying a whole season you can amortize the preseason costs across all the games but 1 game? I agree with the other posters, I'd rather go to the Ralph than take the 10 minute walk to the rogers centre to watch the Bills. That is how much Rogers Centre blows. My advice, don't by angry, Ted Rodgers ( RIP) got fleeced on this deal and the Bills and Ralph are more profitable. If you have seasons tickets for the Bills, while you lose a regular season game ( sucks) you don't have to pay for an extra pre season game which, lets face it is a money grab.

I have posted this before.

I bought season tickets for the bills 7 games + 1 preseason game= approx 1200.00 Cdn

The exact two seats for the Bills in Toronto series 1 real game + 1 preseason game=1100.00 plus fees and taxes

The prices are brutual and you have to take a preseason game, which when buying a whole season you can amortize the preseason costs across all the games but 1 game? I agree with the other posters, I'd rather go to the Ralph than take the 10 minute walk to the rogers centre to watch the Bills. That is how much Rogers Centre blows. My advice, don't by angry, Ted Rodgers ( RIP) got fleeced on this deal and the Bills and Ralph are more profitable. If you have seasons tickets for the Bills, while you lose a regular season game ( sucks) you don't have to pay for an extra pre season game which, lets face it is a money grab.

thanks! good info.. just backs up my case.. and good for you!.. you hit the nail on the head!

At first I was totally against this Toronto series. After last night I'm still against it, but I think there is a big positive involved with these games. Ralph or any future owner is getting a good look at what a potential move to Toronto would bring. A half-empty stadium and more people cheering for the visiting team. Doesn't seem that appealing.

At first I was totally against this Toronto series. After last night I'm still against it, but I think there is a big positive involved with these games. Ralph or any future owner is getting a good look at what a potential move to Toronto would bring. A half-empty stadium and more people cheering for the visiting team. Doesn't seem that appealing.

Exactly...one writer put this best...it was the arrogance of Ted Rogers team that led to this. His advisors told him to spend the $87 million, jack up the prices and Toronto fans would fight over themselves like crabs in a bucket for tickets. The idea was that this would showcase TO as a "have" city to the head honchos at the NFL. In the end, it's done the exact opposite...

The place has been papered by up to 50%, the entire city balked at the prices and the large number of Bills fans that do live in Toronto (keep in mind that it's been stated that 15% of the Bills season ticket base is from Southern Ontario) decided to give Rogers Corp a giant middle finger to their sanitized game day experience. We know that the Ralph is rocking...the Dome is dumb.

Finally, it has given Goodell and the rest of the league MAJOR reservations about ever allowing a team in Toronto. Well done Rogers Corp.

This isn't the city of Toronto or the Bills fans in Canada's fault that this is a flop, this is all on the greed of Rogers Corp.

This guy sums it up really well: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnist...8/15069316.html

All true. Though the really funny thing is that some people think that ticket prices would go down it TO got its own team, with owners trying to amortize the balance of $700 million (U.S.) for said team, and at least that much as their portion of an NFL-worthy stadium. Between the inevitable PSLs and the reality that the new owners will claim "hey, this team is yours, so now you will pay for it," the price will only go up.

Of course, to me this is all proof that moving any NFL team to Toronto permanently is a terrible idea. But that is just me.

You are forgetting one important thing, the Bills are not Toronto's team. You can't judge how the city of Toronto would support an NFL franchise by using the Bills in Toronto series. How many people would show up at RWS if the Raiders were playing Seahawks in a pre-season game?

Toronto doesn't want the Bills. (can you blame them)

You are forgetting one important thing, the Bills are not Toronto's team. You can't judge how the city of Toronto would support an NFL franchise by using the Bills in Toronto series. How many people would show up at RWS if the Raiders were playing Seahawks in a pre-season game?

Toronto doesn't want the Bills. (can you blame them)

That's true, but fair or not it's serving as a litmus test for whether or not the NFL makes sense in Toronto. So far they're failing hard.

What Everyone seems to be missing right now but will become gradually more obvious as this deal enters its final two years is that this whole venture was excellent at least for the short to medium term viability of the Bills in BUFFALO

Regardless of whether the Rogers Center is half empty and Rogers is losing money hand over fist, the Bills are still getting paid the same. It's a fixed price per game agreement.

Don't forget that the Bills are getting an estimated $9.75 Million per game, INCLUDING pre-season games. A REGULAR season game at the Ralph nets the Bills just under 5 million dollars, likely much less during the pre-season.

"The $9.75 million figure for the average Bills game in Toronto represents a windfall profit for the team, or roughly twice what the Bills can gross even from a sold-out game.

The team can realize about $3.8 million in gross ticket sales for an average home sellout in Orchard Park; additional game-day revenue increases that to about $5 million."

(source: Rogers Center)

I know there are a lot of Russ Brandon haters out there and he was terrible in a GM role, but this is an absolute slam dunk and he robbed Rogers silly. This ensure a steady stream of additional revenues that can only help stabilize the Bills' financial situation in the immediate term. in 4 games in Toronto (half of which are wasted pre-season games at the Ralph) you can essentially generate direct revenue equal to a full season in Buffalo. In other words, it represents a 20% increase in revenue just for holding two games in Toronto this year, and this does not account for the savings associated with not having to run the stadium (lights, staff, etc) on game day. :w00t::thumbsup:

Yea, as season ticket holders we lose one regular season game. Not a bad deal to help ensure the Bills stay in Buffalo. If only it wasn't so obvious that Rogers was hemorrhaging money, this could go on for a bit longer....... :angry:

The real beauty in this lies in the unpredictable outcome that followed:

The over inflated prices set by Rogers to make up for the price they paid (who thought that, as usual, they were the only show in town when 20+K Canadians happily make the drive to Buffalo every game day), ensure that the stands are less than full and in return Toronto looks like a poor choice for an NFL team, and therefore a poor location to move the Bills to. Gone will be the talks of moving the Bills to Toronto.

:ph34r: