If there is TRULY an open QB competition

Alphadawg7

There are practice players and there are game players. Some guys are wired to perform on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and other guys can't amp it up until the bullets are real. We know that Trent and Fitz are Wednesday-Thursday guys, maybe we see if Brohm is a Sunday guy.

Exactly. +1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha posters like me huh? I've read everything you've said. I disagree with you. I"m allowed to have my opinion. Your too busy focused on how terrible you think trent edwards is you can't even pay attention to whats going on with the rest of the team. Its honestly pathetic. The OL played like garbage, the special teams played like garbage, our "Amazing" secondary played like garbage. its the first preseason, relax. The cowboys, bengals, chiefs, falcons, panthers first team offenses have all not scored a touchdown. hell the patriots havent passed for a touchdown with their first team yet. Seriously, its just preseason. this is when its OK to make mistakes and figure things out. A highly touted prospect that Green Bay gave a chance to and he couldn't beat anyone out there 2 years in a row for a back up job. thats laughable. he has had ample chances. Its called an opinion. What are you gonna say if Trent lights it up next game? Oh wait you prolly know thats not gonna happen... why should i even question that.

Yeah, posters like you is exactly what I meant. I have no problem with you having your own opinnion, hell if everyone had the same opinnion on this board it would be pretty boring. The issue with your posts is that you like to twist a request for a young prospect to get playing time into some kind of made up claim to his future greatness. Every poster who replied to your post said the same thing...NO ONE is saying he will be this or that, we just want to see the kid get a shot.

In fact, you are the only one making proclamations to what it will be like if he plays. We just want to see him play while you spout off coninuously that a kid who hasnt really played in the NFL yet is a bust and cant cut it. He may bomb, but he also may surprise and develop. No one knows (well nobody besides you) if he will do well or not, thats the point. Its time to find out because Trent and Fitz continue to show no reason to be optimistic that they are capable of being a starting QB in this league.

And FYI: Those other offenses played one or two series max, our first string offense played almost an entire half.

How can you honestly say this when we've seen plenty of fitz and edwards but almost nothing of Brohm? you've got little to base that on. we're screwed with the other 2. At least with brohm, he would have a chance at getting better. I think these other guys have reached their ceiling.

As someone brought up a few months ago, you also have to look at a player's floor. Brohm has a much bigger floor, or downside potential than Edwards or Fitzpatrick. I can honestly say from what I saw in Brohm's floor game last year (3 points) that he has a lot more "DOWNSIDE" than any other QB on the roster. GB didn't need to see any more of Brohm when they cut him last September & dared the league to claim him before he joined their PS.

If we're screwed with the other two guys, we could be screwed, tattooed, and just plain booed with Brohm out there if he lives down to his potential.

With Brohm there's at least a 50-50 chance that he could be A LOT worse than Edwards or Fitzpatrick-just look at his TD-INT ratio when he's played vs NFL competition, just look at that Atlanta game without falling back on the excuse that "He was too new to the system to be effective" In contrast, Fitzpatrick came into a game cold for the 1st time in his rookie year & lit it up. Now he may have been in the Rams' sytem longer than Brohm was with the Bills, but he was a friggin' rookie & he lit it up! Edwards has had games where he lit it up as well. Brohm has not done a thing in the NFL but get his @ss cut. QBs get cut every year with less of an opportunity than the Bills have given Brohm and nobody ever accuses the team of not giving the guy a fair chance. Virtually every one of these types are never heard from again.

I've used the Gary Marangi analogy to Brohm a lot-once we knew what we had in Marangi, he was out of the league. Brohm is a lot closer to Marangi than he is to Kurt Warner.

Actually I agree with one thing-Brohm has a chance of getting better, because it's hard to imagine him being able to get any worse than that 3 point Atlanta game, which no matter what excuse you try to come up, with was a disaster.

Brohm will be a lot better off after the Bills cut him & he has time to line up a high school coaching job for 2011. That's where his true potential & future is-some high school in Kentucky.

There are practice players and there are game players. Some guys are wired to perform on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and other guys can't amp it up until the bullets are real. We know that Trent and Fitz are Wednesday-Thursday guys, maybe we see if Brohm is a Sunday guy.

I put Trent in the Wednesday-Thursday 80 degrees and sunny category. I put Fitz in the Sunday category. I don't think he's great or even very good for that matter, don't get me wrong. But he does make some nice plays. That TD pass was extremely nice. He's got football smarts and is a gutsy leader. If we crowned his a$$ the starter and he got most of the reps instead of them being wasted on Trent and our defense improved and we ran the ball a lot. I could see that working.

I put Trent in the Wednesday-Thursday 80 degrees and sunny category. I put Fitz in the Sunday category. I don't think he's great or even very good for that matter, don't get me wrong. But he does make some nice plays. That TD pass was extremely nice. He's got football smarts and is a gutsy leader. If we crowned his a$$ the starter and he got most of the reps instead of them being wasted on Trent and our defense improved and we ran the ball a lot. I could see that working.

I thought Fitz looked down right awful. I can't see how you think for any reason he should start. He's not the future. So what advantage is it to have him play, when it's so close on who sucks the most?

You know what I'll buy that, Fitz is a gamer. He is just not talented enough to get it done. Just play someone who might kill you, not the guy you know will.

I'm with you. I was dissapointed in not seeing Brohm tonight. Edwards just doesn't have it anymore, if he ever did. Fitz is better but that is not saying too much. I'd rather live or die with Brohm at the helm this year and see what he has. Its fairly obvious the others don't have it.

side note: haven't seen one comment from darth yet. that should be interesting.

Relax. They announced at the beginning of the game that Brohm would not be playing tonite but would be playing in game 2.

Pay attention boys.

I thought Fitz looked down right awful. I can't see how you think for any reason he should start. He's not the future. So what advantage is it to have him play, when it's so close on who sucks the most?

He started slow, which is his game. But he did come on and engineered that 85 yard drive with a very nice pass for a TD. He also threw several nice balls on that drive. He had a 64% completion percentage and threw no picks. I could care less who is the "future" QB. And I have ZERO interest in playing for next years draft pick. None of our QBs are any good. So we gotta go with the best we have. Fitz may not be better, but he sucks less.

I'm starting think the idea of picking up Pigpen if he gets cut may not be such a bad idea.

But really, if our defense doesn't get way better it probably won't matter.

He started slow, which is his game. But he did come on and engineered that 85 yard drive with a very nice pass for a TD. He also threw several nice balls on that drive. He had a 64% completion percentage and threw no picks. I could care less who is the "future" QB. And I have ZERO interest in playing for next years draft pick. None of our QBs are any good. So we gotta go with the best we have. Fitz may not be better, but he sucks less.

I'm starting think the idea of picking up Pigpen if he gets cut may not be such a bad idea.

But you don't think what we saw on the first drive is enough to build on vs. what you saw from Fitz? I mean that was as impressive as Fitz's performance. I blame the INT on Evans or at least 50% of it.

But you don't think what we saw on the first drive is enough to build on vs. what you saw from Fitz? I mean that was as impressive as Fitz's performance. I blame the INT on Evans or at least 50% of it.

The first drive was good. But we again saw the short pass to ML on 3rd and 13. Was that really what the play called was for? A QB in his 4th year who has thrown umpteen picks for TDs on passes out to the sidelines should know you can't try to force it into a guy standing there. If Evans isn't doing what he supposed to, don't throw it anyway, throw it away for cryin' out loud. I put 100% of the blame on Trent.

Again we start with a nice drive that stalls out. Then a pick 6 on the next drive followed by 2 3and outs. That's just Trent football. It's time to move on. The thought of signing Pigpen if he gets cut by the Fish is starting to sound more appealing.

See i don't know what to think of that because he's going against 2nd and 3rd stringers. How do you judge how he will play against 1st stringers? I"m not completely sold of Fitz or any of our QBs, but then again its only preseason.

Maybe if we scour the NFL Archives we can find a gimmicky offense from the '20's or something that didn't use any QB?

Given our personnel, we should probably run the Wing-T. Fred or Marshawn could play QB, the other would probably be a wingback, Spiller would play tailback, and Roscoe would probably be the other wingback.

Yeah, posters like you is exactly what I meant. I have no problem with you having your own opinnion, hell if everyone had the same opinnion on this board it would be pretty boring. The issue with your posts is that you like to twist a request for a young prospect to get playing time into some kind of made up claim to his future greatness. Every poster who replied to your post said the same thing...NO ONE is saying he will be this or that, we just want to see the kid get a shot.

In fact, you are the only one making proclamations to what it will be like if he plays. We just want to see him play while you spout off coninuously that a kid who hasnt really played in the NFL yet is a bust and cant cut it. He may bomb, but he also may surprise and develop. No one knows (well nobody besides you) if he will do well or not, thats the point. Its time to find out because Trent and Fitz continue to show no reason to be optimistic that they are capable of being a starting QB in this league.

And FYI: Those other offenses played one or two series max, our first string offense played almost an entire half.

What do we have to lose by playing ANY young player at any position? Are we worried that it might cost us a playoff spot? Let the young guys take the field, so we can truly know who's worth keeping around. Personally, I think Brohm is probably a total bust, but I would really like to have that confirmed or disproved by watching him play.

really - give Brohm a legit chance

Each QB including Levi Brown will get plenty of reps before this season is over. Playing QB for the Bills is to football what point man is to combat patrol. Additional QB's might be needed off of other teams practice squads.

When was the last time anyone saw Trent go back in the pocket, avoid the rush with a slide step and fire the ball 20 yards downfield accuartely for a completion over the middle?????? His game is 3 to 4 yards passes within the line of scrimmage. Problem is the defense all comes up and now we can not run or do a draw or screen pass as everyone is blitizing as the msot we make them pay for a blitz is maybe a 2 yard pass to a back or wideout.

Trent is the anti-Joe Namath. Best pracice player we have but not a game palyer at all.