If there is TRULY an open QB competition

Alphadawg7

Then Brohm deserves a chance to start next week and get some good reps in. I am guessing Trent will start and Brohm will come in with the 2nd unit and Fitz wont play with Levi in mop up duty, but in all fairness let the kid start. He may bomb or he may do well, but it doesnt matter, all today proved is that Trent and Fitz dont have it...so let the kid that we dont know enough about yet get some well deserved reps and play a quarter or two with the first unit.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Then Brohm deserves a chance to start next week and get some good reps in. I am guessing Trent will start and Brohm will come in with the 2nd unit and Fitz wont play with Levi in mop up duty, but in all fairness let the kid start. He may bomb or he may do well, but it doesnt matter, all today proved is that Trent and Fitz dont have it...so let the kid that we dont know enough about yet get some well deserved reps and play a quarter or two with the first unit.

I'm in agreement, let Brohm start

I'm with you. I was dissapointed in not seeing Brohm tonight. Edwards just doesn't have it anymore, if he ever did. Fitz is better but that is not saying too much. I'd rather live or die with Brohm at the helm this year and see what he has. Its fairly obvious the others don't have it.

side note: haven't seen one comment from darth yet. that should be interesting.

According to everything I've read, the general consensus is that in camp Trent has looked a little better than the others, but nobody has really stood out either way.

So, I'm guessing their general plan is:

- start Trent in the first two preseason games, plays most of the 1st half.

- Fitz gets to finish the first half, and at least some of the starters are still in there. Plays most of the 2nd half.

- Brohm does same in next week's game.

At that point, you re-evaluate, and determine how to allocate reps with the starters in the 3rd preseason game. Starters typically play the longest in this game, so there would be more chances for 2 QBs to both get reps with the starters.

In any event, you'll choose your starter no later than after the 3rd preseason game. The starters don't get enough reps in the final game to make that mean anything in the QB competition.

I'm with you. I was dissapointed in not seeing Brohm tonight. Edwards just doesn't have it anymore, if he ever did. Fitz is better but that is not saying too much. I'd rather live or die with Brohm at the helm this year and see what he has. Its fairly obvious the others don't have it.

Honestly, I would rather see Brohm start all year even if he too struggles in pre season. It takes real game reps to develop, so he may not light the world on fire in a few quarters in the preseason, but that doesnt mean that he cant develop with experience.

The one thing that I do know is that if he does struggle, it cant be anyworse than Trent and Fitz anyway. So why not go with the kid with room to develop rather than the two who have continously played inconsistent and down right bad most of their careers. So roll with him for the season and if he doesnt grow this year we grab a QB early in the 1st round or in FA next season and move on. He cant be any worse and at least provides hope...

According to everything I've read, the general consensus is that Trent has looked a little better than the others, but nobody has really stood out either way.

So, I'm guessing their general plan is:

- start Trent in the first two preseason games, plays most of the 1st half.

- Fitz gets to finish the first half, and at least some of the starters are still in there. Plays most of the 2nd half.

- Brohm does same in next week's game.

At that point, you re-evaluate, and determine how to allocate reps with the starters in the 3rd preseason game. Starters typically play the longest in this game, so there would be more chances for 2 QBs to both get reps with the starters.

In any event, you'll choose your starter no later than after the 3rd preseason game. The starters don't get enough reps in the final game to make that mean anything in the QB competition.

Yeah, I think thats exactly the plan...but I wish they would just move BB to QB 1 for next weeks game and bring Trent in with the 2nd unit...why wait, get the kid some reps with the first unit and give him a real shot to win this job.

Yeah, I think thats exactly the plan...but I wish they would just move BB to QB 1 for next weeks game and bring Trent in with the 2nd unit...why wait, get the kid some reps with the first unit and give him a real shot to win this job.

yes

You might want to wait until after Thursday's game before saying you want to see Brohm starting. Gailey has seen him every day, a lot more than anyone here has & right now Brohm has show Gailey he's not starting material. Brohm will either be #2 behind Fitzpatrick or off this team when the regular season starts. The only positive thing Brohm can bring to the table as our starter is we'd be a virtual lock for the top pick if Brohm starts. Now I may want to reserve judgement until Thursday, but the most likely thing that will happen is Brohm shows he's worse than Edwards or Fitzpatrick & takes his rightful place alongside Gary Marangi as the peoples choice-Until he was given an opportunity to play his way off the team-and did.

The most frustrating thing to watch is defenses only having to defend the first 10 yards of the field. Hall was jumping routes the entire time Trent was in. Might as well run 60% of the time and have a strong armed QB back there who can stretch the field occasionally to keep defenses honest. Defenses don't respect Trent at all and it bottles up the whole offense.

You might want to wait until after Thursday's game before saying you want to see Brohm starting. Gailey has seen him every day, a lot more than anyone here has & right now Brohm has show Gailey he's not starting material. Brohm will either be #2 behind Fitzpatrick or off this team when the regular season starts. The only positive thing Brohm can bring to the table as our starter is we'd be a virtual lock for the top pick if Brohm starts. Now I may want to reserve judgement until Thursday, but the most likely thing that will happen is Brohm shows he's worse than Edwards or Fitzpatrick & takes his rightful place alongside Gary Marangi as the peoples choice-Until he was given an opportunity to play his way off the team-and did.

Finally a good response. All these coaches on this board who have seen brohm and know he is NFL material. If he were soooooooooo goood like people say he is and is going to be, why has GB not seen starting or even back up material in him. And why hasn't Chan seen enough in him to make him a starter. There is obviously something not there. Chan sees him more than anyone, did you get that, he see's the plays this guy does MORE THAN ANYONE on this board. Obviously something is not there. Oh well.

How can you honestly say this when we've seen plenty of fitz and edwards but almost nothing of Brohm? you've got little to base that on. we're screwed with the other 2. At least with brohm, he would have a chance at getting better. I think these other guys have reached their ceiling.

Finally a good response. All these coaches on this board who have seen brohm and know he is NFL material. If he were soooooooooo goood like people say he is and is going to be, why has GB not seen starting or even back up material in him. And why hasn't Chan seen enough in him to make him a starter. There is obviously something not there. Chan sees him more than anyone, did you get that, he see's the plays this guy does MORE THAN ANYONE on this board. Obviously something is not there. Oh well.

How does that even make any sense? If Trent was so much better than Brohm then why is he even battling for a job? Why not name Trent the starter? Its because he has not been better enough to be named the starter and is still in a very OPEN QB competition right now.

So clearly Chan DOES see enough in Brohm in relation to our 3 QB's to have him involved in a 3 man race. Preseason game 1, Chan obviously wanted to take a long look at the Veterans first, and clearly they dissapointed. I would expect that Brohm gets a long look with the first or second unit next week.

And no one is saying he is "sooooooo good", they are saying lets see what he can do. Posters like you dont even bother to read the posts and just make up your own versions of what people write. No one is making any claims about how good he will be, they are saying the others clearly are not the answer so give the once highly touted prospect just 2 years ago a chance to see if he can do better.

There are practice players and there are game players. Some guys are wired to perform on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and other guys can't amp it up until the bullets are real. We know that Trent and Fitz are Wednesday-Thursday guys, maybe we see if Brohm is a Sunday guy.

No one here is saying we know brohm in nfl material. were just saying we know the other guys suck. so give the kid some more work.

I'm thinking start Fitz next week and bring in Brohm and let Trent sit. Bring in Brown for mop up duty. Trent blew it. He had that guy wide open on that bomb and over threw him among many other things.

How does that even make any sense? If Trent was so much better than Brohm then why is he even battling for a job? Why not name Trent the starter? Its because he has not been better enough to be named the starter and is still in a very OPEN QB competition right now.

So clearly Chan DOES see enough in Brohm in relation to our 3 QB's to have him involved in a 3 man race. Preseason game 1, Chan obviously wanted to take a long look at the Veterans first, and clearly they dissapointed. I would expect that Brohm gets a long look with the first or second unit next week.

And no one is saying he is "sooooooo good", they are saying lets see what he can do. Posters like you dont even bother to read the posts and just make up your own versions of what people write. No one is making any claims about how good he will be, they are saying the others clearly are not the answer so give the once highly touted prospect just 2 years ago a chance to see if he can do better.

Hahaha posters like me huh? I've read everything you've said. I disagree with you. I"m allowed to have my opinion. Your too busy focused on how terrible you think trent edwards is you can't even pay attention to whats going on with the rest of the team. Its honestly pathetic. The OL played like garbage, the special teams played like garbage, our "Amazing" secondary played like garbage. its the first preseason, relax. The cowboys, bengals, chiefs, falcons, panthers first team offenses have all not scored a touchdown. hell the patriots havent passed for a touchdown with their first team yet. Seriously, its just preseason. this is when its OK to make mistakes and figure things out. A highly touted prospect that Green Bay gave a chance to and he couldn't beat anyone out there 2 years in a row for a back up job. thats laughable. he has had ample chances. Its called an opinion. What are you gonna say if Trent lights it up next game? Oh wait you prolly know thats not gonna happen... why should i even question that.