If there is TRULY an open QB competition

Alphadawg7

Campbell is an upgrade, but that's not a very high bar. Campbell isn't good business, though. He gets you nuthin beyond a win or two more, for a season or two more.

Definitely not Campbell, but certainly none of our "big three" either.

CG has to get this team through this season, so we gotta watch what we're gonna watch :wallbash: , but our long-term starter gets drafted next spring :D and the seasoned vet to ride shotgun for him is still playing for someone else. We'll draft Luck or one of those guys, and we'll have to pick up a guy like Brunell who knows he won't start but has something to teach the rook.

I doubt we want TE, RF or BB filling the role of mentor to a stud rookie. Brown hangs around because he's an athlete and an unkown as yet.

I understand what your saying and it does have validity. Here is my take on the issue. I believe when you have a chance to upgrade what is probably the most important position on the field you take it. The Bills missed on opportunity to upgrade at a very minimal cost. Heck, even crazy AL Davis could see that. Secondly, he could have held down the fort until we develop another QB. Wouldn't have to pick up an old washed up QB to train a new QB. How would you like to have Jason Campbell and Jimmy Clausen on our roster right now?

Also, I think most everyone on the board is missing the point. The thread ask is there a open qb competition. My response is who cares! They can compete all they want the problem is not one of them are NFL starting QB material. An open competition is "moot." Whoever wins is by default and not good enough.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice rebuttal dawg.

I don't have the time to get into it with you and I wish i did. But I saw the atlanta game in a whole different light than you. Whether you want to admit it, being with the team for a few weeks DOES have something to do with it. The line was in shambles that game and Brohm held his own for being thrown in the fire. He's had ONE friggin game to show us something. that is NOT ENOUGH TIME. All we are saying is give him more work cuz we dont care for the other two. Don't really care if you agree or like it, but that is what "I" want to see.(and apparently some others as well)

I am relaxed, thanks for caring. Was busy getting dinner for my 13 year old so missed that part. But that makes me happy.

Why is it so hard to understand some of us think we know what we got in trent and fitz? Brohm hasn't really even had a chance to show anything in buffalo so why are you writing him off so quickly? The bottom line is what you said; lets see what he's got thursday.

In a couple of weeks the only supporters Brohm will have left are his relatives. The guy brings nothing to the table that is any better than what we have. You'll see. If you really want to jump on someone's bandwagon, it might as well be Levi Brown's, because he's got a lot more "upside" than Brohm. It's not just the Atlanta game, it's the reports out of camp that Brohm has shown realtively poor arm strength and is weak on accuracy and the fact that he is floating between 2nd & 4th on the depth chart, with #3 already locked up by Brown. All the Brohm fantasies will come to a screeching halt after he plays in 1 or 2 exhibition games & you see why GB cut him last summer. He doesn't belong in the NFL & in 2 weeks it will be quite evident.

What I don't understand is why the Brohm fans think the Bills can do something no other NFL team has done in the modern era-get something out of a high round QB who gets cut for reasons other than the salary cap. Look it up, the guys who other teams steal are late round under the radar players. You don't steal 2nd round QB busts and get production out of them. Remember you're taking about a John Guy acquisition. It's as if you bought a lottery ticket & think you'll be a millionaire tomorrow-It isn't happening!

In a couple of weeks the only supporters Brohm will have left are his relatives. The guy brings nothing to the table that is any better than what we have. You'll see. If you really want to jump on someone's bandwagon, it might as well be Levi Brown's, because he's got a lot more "upside" than Brohm. It's not just the Atlanta game, it's the reports out of camp that Brohm has shown realtively poor arm strength and is weak or accuracy and the fact that he is floating between 2nd & 4th on the depth chart, with #3 already locked up by Brown. All the Brohm fantasies will come to a screeching halt after he playes in 1 or 2 exhibition games & you see why GB cut him last summer. He doesn't belong in the NFL & in 2 weeks it will be quite evident.

What I don't understand is why the Brohm fans think the Bills can do something no other NFL team has done in the modern era-get something out of a high round QB who gets cut for reasons other than the salary cap. Look it up, the guys who other teams steal are late round under the radar players. You don't steal 2nd round QB busts and get production out of them. Remember you're taking about a John Guy acquisition. It's as if you bought a lottery ticket & think you'll be a millionaire tomorrow-It isn't happening!

I dont know where you are getting your reports, but the ones being posted on buffalobills.com and by many posters on this board all say the Brohm has consistently thrown the cleanest passes and prettiest passes. Does he have it all put together yet? Of course not, he also has no experience yet and is still learning the system and trying to form timing with his WR's just like the other 3 QB's.

No one is claiming he will be great, in fact, you and some others are the only ones making proclamations about how he will play. We just want to see him on the field get a chance to live up to his potential coming out of the draft rather than watch 2 guys with no potential in Trent and Fitz go out and stink up.

Cant say anything good or bad about Levi really either other than he looked pretty raw and bad in the preseason game. I wont hold that against him though as it was his first NFL game action. I love though how you give Brown the benefit of the doubt who was a 7th round draft pick, but you dont give it to Brohm until he shows otherwise on the field even though he barely has any more experience than Brown.

Honestly, I would rather see Brohm start all year even if he too struggles in pre season. It takes real game reps to develop, so he may not light the world on fire in a few quarters in the preseason, but that doesnt mean that he cant develop with experience.

The one thing that I do know is that if he does struggle, it cant be anyworse than Trent and Fitz anyway. So why not go with the kid with room to develop rather than the two who have continously played inconsistent and down right bad most of their careers. So roll with him for the season and if he doesnt grow this year we grab a QB early in the 1st round or in FA next season and move on. He cant be any worse and at least provides hope...

Don't kid yourself. It could be worse. It could always be worse.