As a Native American

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Could you imagine the Harlem Blackskins or the San Francisco Yellows?

I cringe every time I hear their name....oh well.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Could you imagine the Harlem Blackskins or the San Francisco Yellows?

I cringe every time I hear their name....oh well.

Are you the real deal or one of those "I'm 5% Cherokee people?" Regardless, I'm a white guy, but diehard Native history and culture. I go up to Pine Ridge and the Black Hills once a year. Personally I am more offended by the Braves and Seminoles chant more than anything, then the Indians logo second and the Redskins name third. The Redskins do have a very respectful and badass logo. I am very offended that the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota were forced to give up their nickname. How is that any different than the Fighting Irish? The Seminoles name and logo is also totally respectful, although I think they have some goofy mascot. The point is that I think it's totally cool to pay homage to Natives with a mascot or team name as long as it's not done in poor tatse and there are clearly plenty of examples of both in sports today.

Well, I'm not a Native American. I came over on a boat, really.

I find the name offensive as well. The logo is OK, but the name is not.

This is veering off-topic, but it interesting to note that the team was owned from 1932* to 1969 by George Preston Marshall -- who was widely known for his opposition to having African-Americans on his roster. It's probably safe to assume he was a racist.

* the team was originally in Boston and known as the Boston Braves. He moved the team to Washington in 1937, when he gave it the racist nickname.

No offense, but just about everybody here are Native Americans.

With the exceptions of Nick in England and Oliver and France, I'm pretty sure everbody on this board was born on the North American continent

That was either a) an incredibly poor attempt at wit or perhaps humor, I don't know or b) one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. Wouldn't expect much more from a conservative though. Yes, I read your stupid not-at-all-applicable-to-modern-times quote.

I think it's an inappropriate team name and really should be changed, since most Native Americans seem to be opposed to it. As a general rule with these things, I'm generally willing to defer to the group in the team name. I don't know any Irish people who are opposed to Notre Dame's team name (or to the Celtics, for that matter), but my sense is that the consensus among American Indians is that "Redskins" is a mean-spirited team name.

If that's not true, I'd think differently about it. I don't think there are legal ways to force things to change, but if Dan Snyder decided to give me a billion dollar birthday present, that's how I would decide whether or not to keep the name.

I'm a native american with absolutely no "Native American" as defined by the government blood. However I too find the Redskins name and logo and everything gross. Do we really need to have a team in the nation's capital of a country that murdered many "redskins". I think not. I really wish they'd change the name etc.

With the exceptions of Nick in England and Oliver and France, I'm pretty sure everbody on this board was born on the North American continent

Wow...really...not so dude. I was born and raised in Malaysia. Recently naturalized. I'm sure there are more folks here who weren't American born. Why you had to make this statement is beyond me.

C

My mothers side of the family arived in PA in the 1680's and my father side in southern Ontario in the early 1700's, moving to WNY in early 1900's. I'm an American.

The Fight Sioux thing makes no sense because hasn't the Sioux tribe given their blessing to the name. However, I total get the Redskins thing. Miami of Ohio and St. John's both changed their name but does anyone think Weashington, an ultra rich NFL would do that? Don't see an easy answer to this politically charged topic, but I agree that we shouldn't allow racially improper nicknames anymore...or we could go completely South Park

That was either a) an incredibly poor attempt at wit or perhaps humor, I don't know or b) one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. Wouldn't expect much more from a conservative though. Yes, I read your stupid not-at-all-applicable-to-modern-times quote.

:thumbsup:

Gotta love that us vs them mentality some folks have