Adam Shatz/FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS Almanac on the Bills (not good)

Sorry about low-quality post. I added some paragraph separation. It's from their 2010 Almanac. Save your money -- and your right, 2 of my Pats fans buddies sent that to me, and they worship the guy.

I've got a vacation coming up in November. I'll wait 'til it's a dreary, gloomy Weekday & read your initial post then.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schatz is an Ivy League graduate and a professional football statistical analyst, not a journalist. So I wouldn't dismiss what he has to say, it's supported by hours of analysis and evidence.

That said, he's an unabashed Patriots fan, so fug him and his stats.

Even if that's true, that doesn't say much for his non-statistical analysis, such as the financial state of the franchise, the reason for hiring Chan Gailey over Marty (TG swore up and down Marty called begging to come here). It also says nothing about the odds of Steve Johnson panning out based on his play. Yes, the Bills' metrics might not have been very good - probably in line with their 6-10 record. So what does this article add?

My guess is that you'll see a front page article in the Buffalo News AND Rochester D&C tomorrow morning announcing the simultaneous resignation of both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey. The joint press statement will read "Aaron Schatz called us on it. We have no clue, no plan, no hope. We're out of here."

Yes, that was sarcasm.

The worst part about it is that Aaron Schatz will never have to say "I was wrong". The second worst part is having to watch the Chicken Littles on this board have a collective meltdown over anything Aaron Schatz has to say about anything.

No, I take that back. The latter point provides entertainment. Carry on.

"Roll Plymouth Rock" - Brian Wilson's "Smile" CD

The reason our secondary is so good is scheme. Now that we are no longer in the Tampa 2. our secondary will suck. I think that is what I read. I happen to disagree. I think our secondary is the best and deepest in the league. So may the Schatz be with you. And a hardy up-yours!

The Buddy Nix promotion was a joke and another example of Ralph being cheap.

Chan Gailey was dumped as the Chiefs OC and not on the radar of any other NFL club as a HC candidate. Another hire on the cheap by Ralph.

George Edwards is a downgrade from Perry Fewell and almost all of our guys will be out of position in the 3-4.

You truly believe all of that based on what you've seen of these people thus far during their time in Buffalo? No, it's not game time yet, but if you don't think that there is a marked change of tone with the Buffalo Bills you're crazy. And that change of tone is from the people that you mentioned...

Last time I checked jettison meant to throw overboard, not to name as CEO.

Nonetheless, owner Ralph Wilson wanted to clean house after five straight losing seasons, and that meant jettisoning both Fewell (now the defensive coordinator for the Giants) and general manager Russ Brandon

This article is garbage. And who is Adam Shatz? And who cares what some knucklehead from "Football Outsiders" has to say. It's like one of us writing an article on the history of weaving. This is not a critique of the Bills fan who posted this (I'm glad you did). I'm just tired of listening to naysayers who aren't Bills fans. We all know the Bills aren't good. And while I can take the expressed frustration of fellow Bills fans, I don't need another subpar "sports writer" to tell me what is wrong with my team. I'm just hoping to be suprised this season by the Bills playing some competitive football and learning how to be a winning team again. I don't need Mr. Shatz, in his infinite wisdom, telling me that we all suck.

DVOA? AGL? WTFBBQ?

Sounds like some nerd trying to bring baseball-type statistical analysis to football, which just doesn't work (and I'm a baseball fan). Over a 162-game season, you get a much more reliable data set than a 16 game season. The game's played on grass, any given Sunday, yadda, yadda. This guy is just looking for reasons to just blast the Bills, but he's clearly obsessive enough to put more effort into it than I'm willing to put into refuting him.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/TECH/internet/12....schatz.cnn.jpg

He looks like he rather be observing boy scouts than football players.

Honestly, who cares? Everyone has an opinion. Does anyone really value this guy's over any negative whiner on this board? I don't. We have the best fanbase in the world but the bottomline is we need to win games.

2 things would give me great joy this year:

1) A Bills playoff berth and all the crow "experts" will have to eat

2) The Jets flaming out and getting buried in NYC.

For a second there, I thought I was reading a book by Jack Kerouac.

Jack Kerouac arguably wrote some of the best American fiction of the 20th century. Please don't compare him with the drivel produce by Adam/ Aaron Shatz. Although I bet Mr. Shatz is well versed in Madden '09, which clearly makes him an NFL expert.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/TECH/internet/12....schatz.cnn.jpg

He looks like he rather be observing boy scouts than football players.

Honestly, who cares? Everyone has an opinion. Does anyone really value this guy's over any negative whiner on this board? I don't. We have the best fanbase in the world but the bottomline is we need to win games.

2 things would give me great joy this year:

1) A Bills playoff berth and all the crow "experts" will have to eat

2) The Jets flaming out and getting buried in NYC.

I agree with both points. While I'm doubtful about a Bills playoff berth, I am anxiously awaiting the inevitable Jets implosion.

I agree with both points. While I'm doubtful about a Bills playoff berth, I am anxiously awaiting the inevitable Jets implosion.

I want nothing more than a Bills' playoff spot. But given the Jets hype and how annoying my Jet fan friends are, the Jets flaming out will give me great satisfaction.

1) Right off the bat, the piece starts with "Buffalo can not afford an NFL team" - this should have been an immediate red flag to anyone half in touch with the NFL. The Bills are by no means the most profitable team, but they also have no debt.

2) Brandon is not gone

3) Hardy is not #2

4) An "insider" says "this is a slap in the face"? that is way vague, even for an unnamed source.

Also, I'm suspecting that a good number of the influx of negative posters lately are really Patriots fans. They came in years ago as a group intent to take over the board. The moderators here did nothing about it - in my opinion this was the start of the decline of this board. I think there is a group of these people are still here. They use screen names to suggest they are Bills fans. Not much of a social life, but whatever gets people through the day, I guess.

This article is garbage. And who is Adam Shatz? And who cares what some knucklehead from "Football Outsiders" has to say. It's like one of us writing an article on the history of weaving. This is not a critique of the Bills fan who posted this (I'm glad you did). I'm just tired of listening to naysayers who aren't Bills fans. We all know the Bills aren't good. And while I can take the expressed frustration of fellow Bills fans, I don't need another subpar "sports writer" to tell me what is wrong with my team. I'm just hoping to be suprised this season by the Bills playing some competitive football and learning how to be a winning team again. I don't need Mr. Shatz, in his infinite wisdom, telling me that we all suck.

I agree!