Greed knows no bounds.

This is a ridiculous stance on many, many levels.

Athletes have a very limited time to make their lifetime earnings -- if they're lucky they get 2 contracts. If they're really lucky they get 3. During any of those contracts they're a play away from a career ending injury, possibly a life ending one.

Owners exploit the talents of these young men and have the right to cut them, void their contracts AT ANY POINT they wish. No other job can you be fired without cause like you can in sports. The owners can't be fired. They have guaranteed money from TV deals that dwarf the sums made by the players they depend on to deliver the product.

The Owners also play you, the fan, for a fool in this situation. Where is all this bad press coming from about Revis? From the owners. They want the public to pressure him to play. Yet when Revis, or any player, tries to do the same, it's considered whining. No one blinked an eye when the Jets fu*C*ed over Washington. This guy was negotiating on good faith. Playing out his contract as everyone here says Revis should -- then he gets hurt and rather than get the money the Jets promised, they traded him to Seattle where he has to start over again.

Is that really fair? Take the dollars out of it. They make more than 99% of us ever will. That's just the business. People get blinded by how much they're making and don't look at the real issues. This is a violent sport where rich white owners laugh their way to the bank while players don't ride off into the sunset, the hobble into it. If they even make it in the first place.

Good points about Washington, and about the violence of the sport. But that said, there are plenty of jobs which exist on an at-will basis: meaning they can end any time the employer or employee wants them to end. No cause need be given.

The percentage of total revenues that's been allocated to players has been going up. Also, the definition of revenues that get included into the salary cap has been getting broader as well. If Jerry Jones manages to make a deal with some Texas company--a deal which helps the Cowboys alone--that deal will cause an increase in the salary cap. (Even though the other 31 teams aren't seeing a penny of that money.) The pendulum has swung too far toward the players, who in some cases have become overpaid, full of themselves, and with a sense of entitlement. (Albeit not nearly to the same extent one sees in the NBA.)

As for owners "exploiting" the talents of NFL players: exploit how? NFL owners offer players money in return for a service. Players are free to either accept that offer, or to do something with their lives other than NFL football. No one forces players to accept hundreds of thousands, or millions of dollars a year to play a game they love. Players do that because they want to.

If NFL players are being "exploited" despite getting paid millions, then what about college players (who are just getting scholarships)? What about high school players, who are doing it for free? What about kids playing football on their own in someone's back yard? Who should be blamed for exploiting them?

Forgive me, but when I see a guy getting paid the way those guys are, it's difficult for me to conjure much sympathy, or to see him as a victim of "exploitation."

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a violent sport where rich white owners laugh their way to the bank while players don't ride off into the sunset, the hobble into it.

Ah, yes. Slavery argument. Now my day is complete! Fight the power! Those greedy old white guys are keeping the brother down!!

<_<

Ah, yes. Slavery argument. Now my day is complete! Fight the power! Those greedy old white guys are keeping the brother down!!

<_<

I'm not comparing it to slavery. But it's a fact that every owner is white and the vast majority of players are not.

You never hear the argument going the other way -- unless it's about Ralph being cheap -- you never hear "what's the difference between 3 million dollars and 5 million when you make 300 million plus a year", but you always hear, "he should be happy to be making 3 million dollars! just shut up and sign the contract".

Why is that?

The owners get off light. I will never understand why fans take the side of the owner over the player when they have far more in common with the player than the owner.

I'm not comparing it to slavery. But it's a fact that every owner is white and the vast majority of players are not.

You never hear the argument going the other way -- unless it's about Ralph being cheap -- you never hear "what's the difference between 3 million dollars and 5 million when you make 300 million plus a year", but you always hear, "he should be happy to be making 3 million dollars! just shut up and sign the contract".

Why is that?

The owners get off light. I will never understand why fans take the side of the owner over the player when they have far more in common with the player than the owner.

What does the race of the owners have to do with anything? You bring up the subject like it was supposed to be significant, but fail to explain the significance. Was race a factor in Peyton Manning's last contract or Tom Brady's upcoming contract negotiations?

Also, how many owners make $300 million or more from their football teams. Jerry Jones and Dan "the short meddling owner" Snyder, maybe. But you can't tell me that Ralph or the owners of the Jaguars or Chiefs make that kind of money.

Granted, the players want to get as much as they can and the owners want to pay as little as possible.

But Revis apparently was happy to sign the original contract. So if a player wants to hold out his services in order to renegotiate a contract that he signed (most likely under his agent's advice), then he should run the risk of not getting paid at all if the other party doesn't want to renegotiate. It's like signing a contract to sell your house then demanding to renegotiate two years later because the value of the house went up. (OK that example worked a lot better about three years ago, but you get the point.).

Why is that?

I think your number might be off by a little? I remember a couple of years ago reading that the Bills made 31 Million that year. Could be wrong?

Revis just wants to be paid as the best player in the NFL that his nimrod HC said he was.

The problem the Jets have with this is they employed a "go for it all this year" approach by trading away draft picks, signing high priced outside free agents whiling disregarding their own soon to be free agents, leaving them on precariously thin ice as they will look to try and field some semblance of a future team after this season plays out.

It's all about Revis' ego now, and his pride. I agree that the terms of Asomougha's contract make it ridiculous for Revis to expect that over that long of a deal. If Revis can get over the $28.5 mil that Asomougha got in even a 5 year deal at $60 mil, I think he could declare victory. Revis and his agent have to realize that it's the Jets cap room that won't allow for more. As this draws on, Revis is looking like an a$$.

there is no salary cap this year.

the problem will show itself when a new cba is agreed upon next year and the jets will have to cut good players to keep the players they are giving these outrageous contracts to this year.

sooner or later there will be a cap again and that is when the jets will be in serious trouble.

How is "the system" a mess?

It's no different than any other contractual situation. A valued employee thinks he's worth more than he's getting paid. His employer disagrees and wants him to report to work under the conditions of his current, negotiated contract. He refuses and is willing to not work and not get paid.

This is how it works.

Anyway, if he was really offered that kind of contract and turned it down, he is either crazy or very poorly advised. There is no conceivable circumstance where anyone in the future would offer him more money after he has sat out a year.

While I agree with much of this, I can't fully endorse the bolded statement.

If in the next two years CB salaries skyrocket further (improbable but not impossible) that deal may seem very attractive for a team looking to sign Revis.

The last ridiculous contract was Haynesworth's, now Revis is trying to get his. I hope he sits the whole year.

I beg to differ.....The draft #1 pick got a $78M contract with 50 MILLION in guaranteed Money...For a player who is yet to play a down. Hayneswoth worked his butt off for 4 years with the Titans to get the payday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...een-jets-revis/

He is the best corner in football but come on!

Idiot Al Davis screwed up the market value for top-tier CBs. But Asomougha's deal isn't long term.

Holding out for 10 years/$150/160mil is a retarded.

He's not even on my team and I'm annoyed by it and want it over with. Take the 10 years/$120mil. I wonder how much guaranteed he'll get.

I love this! Keep holding out Revis!

I'll always favor players over the owners. Especially if someone is willing to pay him. If the Jets let Revis go, some team will pay him what he wants. A team can cut a player at any time. So why can't a player get more money when they outperform their contract? By all accounts, Revis is keeping in shape (unless that slob Peters which is why I lsot respect for his situation). He is the best corner in the league. If blows out his knee and is never the same player, you think the Jets will pay him big bucks? I don't think so.

furthermore, every NFL player is treated like a prostitute in college. They make their schools rich and don't get a dime of it (unless it's USC :devil: ). For instance, when Tebow was at Florida selling a ton of Florida #15 jerseys, the school and not the player got paid. how is that fair?

Revis should sit out until his demands are reached. :thumbsup:

us mere mortals will likely only dream of making millions of dollars for something that we love to do, but in all honesty, whatever dollar amount someone makes is not too much if there is someone willing to pay it.

Wither its a teachers strike or a NFL contract any sort of negotiation it will get solved at the 11th hour. Right before the season starts they will heat up talk and a deal will get done. Revis will likely get some thing in the range of 4 years 51 million with 28 million in guaranteed money. he would make about 12.4 per year but the deal is likely to be front loaded with 15.1 million (Thus making him the highest paid corner for next season and getting a big part of it in an uncapped year) in the 1st season (All guaranteed) and 13 million guaranteed in the 2nd season (The only year were Asomougha's contract would exceed his) then 12 million in the next two years.

Essentially Revis would be getting a 4 year deal with a huge 1st year and a nicely guaranteed 2nd year and likely 3rd and 4th years that are nicely proportioned. He would be the highest paid corner for the 1st year so he would get his pride and the next 3 years would be close to what he wants. Well at least that's the way I see it going down.

Wither its a teachers strike or a NFL contract any sort of negotiation it will get solved at the 11th hour. Right before the season starts they will heat up talk and a deal will get done. Revis will likely get some thing in the range of 4 years 51 million with 28 million in guaranteed money. he would make about 12.4 per year but the deal is likely to be front loaded with 15.1 million (Thus making him the highest paid corner for next season and getting a big part of it in an uncapped year) in the 1st season (All guaranteed) and 13 million guaranteed in the 2nd season (The only year were Asomougha's contract would exceed his) then 12 million in the next two years.

Essentially Revis would be getting a 4 year deal with a huge 1st year and a nicely guaranteed 2nd year and likely 3rd and 4th years that are nicely proportioned. He would be the highest paid corner for the 1st year so he would get his pride and the next 3 years would be close to what he wants. Well at least that's the way I see it going down.

I think ur right. But personal pride over team pride... sheesh. Whatever happens he'll get enough money to make him set for life. After that it's all on him. He better invest wisely.

Athletes have a very limited time to make their lifetime earnings -- if they're lucky they get 2 contracts. If they're really lucky they get 3. During any of those contracts they're a play away from a career ending injury, possibly a life ending one.

Owners exploit the talents of these young men and have the right to cut them, void their contracts AT ANY POINT they wish. No other job can you be fired without cause like you can in sports. The owners can't be fired. They have guaranteed money from TV deals that dwarf the sums made by the players they depend on to deliver the product.

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said. The owner's can void the contract and the players can hold out. Each has his leverage.

The Owners also play you, the fan, for a fool in this situation. Where is all this bad press coming from about Revis? From the owners. They want the public to pressure him to play. Yet when Revis, or any player, tries to do the same, it's considered whining. No one blinked an eye when the Jets fu*C*ed over Washington. This guy was negotiating on good faith. Playing out his contract as everyone here says Revis should -- then he gets hurt and rather than get the money the Jets promised, they traded him to Seattle where he has to start over again.

Is that really fair? Take the dollars out of it. They make more than 99% of us ever will. That's just the business. People get blinded by how much they're making and don't look at the real issues. This is a violent sport where rich white owners laugh their way to the bank while players don't ride off into the sunset, the hobble into it. If they even make it in the first place.

You paint an all or nothing picture. The fact that you're boiling the situation down to whether players or owners are catagorically right in disputes is what I take issue with. It's a case by case basis, not a universal truth.

The Washington situation has nothing at all to do with this. When they're offering a CB $12 million/year when he's got 3 !@#$ING YEARS left on his contract, and he's holding out I say he's a whiney punk. It's not like this is a practice squad body that's risking his health for the league minimum only to get cut at the end of preseason. It's $12 million/yr...For A CB. Cue the violins.

Edit: What the hell does the color of the owner have to do with anything? I don't even know why I'm arguing with an idiot like you. Aren't you the same moron that said Spiller's a wasted pick even if he becomes a hall of famer?

While I agree with much of this, I can't fully endorse the bolded statement.

If in the next two years CB salaries skyrocket further (improbable but not impossible) that deal may seem very attractive for a team looking to sign Revis.

absolutely!

you nailed it. the key is "if".

if revis can guarantee the following, i bet the jets would surely pay him all he wants:

that he's the best cornerback in football and the jets can't win without him;

that he's the best player in football and the jets can't win without him;

that he's can stay healthy throughout the year;

that he can deliver a super bowl to the jets faithful and that they definitely can't win without him;

and the most important guarantee of all:

that the jets would reap oodles more cash with him than they could without him.

"if". if is big business in the nfl.

Last time I checked, he is under contract for 3 more years. I don't care what the money is. He's signed. Show up and play. If he doesn't like the money, he never should have signed the contract in the first place. I'd think about doing some pretty shady things for a million bucks. If I were the Jets, I'd tell him to either play for what you signed for or stay home. He is hurting himself and his team. It's the Jets so good. Heck, I'd trade him. Call Dallas or whoever and say I want a starting CB, some other player and a 1st round pick. One player is not worth $15 million per season. I don't think he is as good as he says he is anyway. No player is ever bigger than the team and any player can be replaced.

So why do you have to put the color into it Tgreg? Why does it matter what color the owner is? You are forgetting that Revis is one of 53 players on a team. Football is a team game. It is about winning for your TEAM and your FANS. It is a game. The owners make the rules.

I own a business. Do you think I am going to let my employees make the rules when I take all the risk? Not on your life. Revis is blessed with a lot of ability, but he is replaceable like every other player save 3 QB's by the name of P. Manning, Brady and Brees. Go back and watch the AFC Championship game again. Revis was LIT UP in the second half. And the owners are exploiting these young men by offering them a 10 year $120 million contract? Please. Because Revis could get seriously injured at any moment? So what. He knows the risks of the game. If he doesn't like it, he can go drive a UPS truck for a living. Noone is making him play. The owners have developed the greatest game ever invented. These players should feel fortunate that they get to play it. And get paid quite well. I hope Revis never gets his money, because the guy is acting like a tool. If Woody Johnson has any balls, he will give Revis a deadline and start taking money off of the table for every day that he does not sign. The NFL has been great for a lot longer than Darel Revis has been around.

Last time I checked, he is under contract for 3 more years. I don't care what the money is. He's signed. Show up and play. If he doesn't like the money, he never should have signed the contract in the first place. I'd think about doing some pretty shady things for a million bucks. If I were the Jets, I'd tell him to either play for what you signed for or stay home. He is hurting himself and his team. It's the Jets so good. Heck, I'd trade him. Call Dallas or whoever and say I want a starting CB, some other player and a 1st round pick. One player is not worth $15 million per season. I don't think he is as good as he says he is anyway. No player is ever bigger than the team and any player can be replaced.

Not even the Jets are taking that position. They are perfectly willing to redo his contract. (Any smart team would look to do that, IMO.) The problem isn't Revis wanting the Jets to redo the contract, it's the amount he is holding out for.