Wawrow: Whitner rejuvinated by the 3-4

Fingon

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP)—With sweat dripping from his nose and his practice uniform covered in grass stains, safety Donte Whitner(notes) looked up and smiled and said how rejuvenated he is playing in the Buffalo Bills’ new defensive system.

“I feel like a new man,” Whitner said after a recent training camp practice.

It shows.

Experiencing little difficulty in making the transition to the newly-introduced 3-4 defense brought in by first-year head coach Chan Gailey, Whitner has made his presence felt by providing a hard-hitting pop to practice that, at times, he had been missing in his previous four seasons in Buffalo.

There was Whitner’s bone-jarring, and fumble-forcing hit on tight end Jonathan Stupar(notes) last week. A play later, he sent running back Fred Jackson(notes) tumbling into the sideline. A day later, Whitner burst to the line to get a big lick on Marshawn Lynch(notes), stopping the running back in his tracks just as he was attempting to cut the corner up the right side.

Add in two interceptions in practice Friday, and Whitner’s been the most noticeable player—on defense or offense—since camp opened on July 29.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-b...ner&print=1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story, I'll buy into to. Whitner is an attacking player by nature and playing the Troy Polamalu role in the 3-4 should theoretically increase his production.

The bend don't break Tampa 2 defense was built for teams that can either score a boat load of points or sustain a ground-n-pound attack. The 2008-09 versions of the Bills couldn't do either.

What I'm not buying is any story that claiming Trent is feeling great, positive, refreshed or confident.

This story, I'll buy into to. Whitner is an attacking player by nature and playing the Troy Polamalu role in the 3-4 should theoretically increase his production.

The bend don't break Tampa 2 defense was built for teams that can either score a boat load of points or sustain a ground-n-pound attack. The 2008-09 versions of the Bills couldn't do either.

What I'm not buying is any story that claiming Trent is feeling great, positive, refreshed or confident.

I believe it, as I am fairly sure this is Lil Donte's contract year..sure he will light it up this year and move on..just like all our DB's do in their contract year :D<_<

i thought so too, in regards to his contract, but it's not. he's got one more year after this season.

jw

Even better for us. This is a move year for Whitner. Either he demonstrates that the thoughts of a couple of seasons ago that it was gonna be a breakout year for him was merely premature or we are happy to see him move on to greener pastures.

If he steps up and shows real production this year then I have no problem with the Bills rewarding him with an extension before next season. However, if he does not impress this year I have no problem letting him play out his last year or maybe even cut him if we have a better alternative.

Rejuvenated? When was he "juvenated"?

Or even "venated" for that matter.

Nice piece, John.

One nice little subplot to this camp is whether the new regime can salvage the careers of players picked in previous regimes.

And of course, that's a lot of players.

More specifically, when the smoke clears on the final cutdown day, I'd be very interested to see what percentage of the roster turns over from one year ago.

Even better for us. This is a move year for Whitner. Either he demonstrates that the thoughts of a couple of seasons ago that it was gonna be a breakout year for him was merely premature or we are happy to see him move on to greener pastures.

If he steps up and shows real production this year then I have no problem with the Bills rewarding him with an extension before next season. However, if he does not impress this year I have no problem letting him play out his last year or maybe even cut him if we have a better alternative.

Cut him? Let me guess...he was drafted too high, and "tweets" too much?

Donte is a good player, regardless of where he was drafted. To cut him would be asinine.

Whitner will not only make the Pro-Bowl, he will be a starting Safety. All of that in a conference with Reed, Sanders, Palamolu, and the other starter....Byrd.

Nice Story John. My only concern is that Donte is a little smallish to take the pounding of a true strong safety...he is kind of a tweener between free and strong...good news is he is probably a bit faster than the typical strong but he might take too much of pounding.

All that said--hope he has a career year...

Looks like most of the D like the 3-4 and coach Edwards.

Great news.

I still don't get the Whitner bashing. I thought he did a good job in the Tampa 2 and was versitile enough to play both safety positions and nickel CB.

Now that he is in a defense that is more suitable to his skills it is great to hear that he will play even better. <_<

We might find the roster isn't as depleted as we think it is. I think Jauron and his entire staff were poor game planners but even the position coaches were questionable.

The heart of coaching is putting your players in position to succeed and DJ just coached what he knew. What scheme he was comfortable with forget what the skill set of certain players were just do what you know best.

Gailey and crew have a plan and idea and confidence to pull it off. A veteran quarterback who seems to be getting a better understanding that you can't make negative plays and stop with the excuses.