Wawrow: Whitner rejuvinated by the 3-4

Fingon

Wilson really can't play SS, IMO.

I thought that, until last year when I saw just how much Wilson had improved. At this point both he and B. Scott have played just as well, if not better, than Whitner. If this Tampa 2 scheme was indeed Whitner's achilles heal, we'll soon find out what Whitner can do. I look forward to it (5 years later).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think Donte Whitner is a STUD !!......i expect him to have a great year....what a tandem he and Byrd make......as far as his contract goes....here's what i found:

per rotoworld: 8/5/2006: Signed a five-year, $29 million contract. The deal includes $13.5 million guaranteed. 2009: $2.355 million, 2010: $2.445 million, 2011: $1.95075 million (Voidable Year), 2012: Free Agent

per buffalo rumblings: SS Donte Whitner. The fifth-year safety is technically under contract through the close of the 2011 season, but the final year of his deal is voidable. Whitner has been solid (312 career tackles, tremendous versatility), but not spectacular (four career interceptions) after becoming the No. 8 overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. He and Jairus Byrd give the Bills a solid one-two combination at safety, but Whitner has never played a full 16 games in his career.

per ESPN : 5 years

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531344

I have some great snake oil, you might want to buy... :bag:

i'll go one step farther........the bills will use their FRANCHISE TAG on Whitner.....remember where you heard it first.

i think Whitner is one of the Top Ten safeties in the NFL......the Tampa 2 did not showcase his skills. several of the safeties rated higher that Whitner are getting OLD. plus the franchise tag value on safeties is very low compared to other positions....about $6mil/yr.

REALSCOUTS Safety Rankings:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...pure-playmakers

I thought that, until last year when I saw just how much Wilson had improved. At this point both he and B. Scott have played just as well, if not better, than Whitner. If this Tampa 2 scheme was indeed Whitner's achilles heal, we'll soon find out what Whitner can do. I look forward to it (5 years later).

Sorry, you are incorrect.

B. Scott plays a decent run preventing SS, but has NO versatility. He can cover your TE, but that's about it. Wilson has come a long way, but he is strictly a pass defender as a safety, for the most part. Whitner had an off year last year, and still does most everything better than these two. I will say that Wilson is the most opportunistic of the three.

Sorry, you are incorrect.

B. Scott plays a decent run preventing SS, but has NO versatility. He can cover your TE, but that's about it. Wilson has come a long way, but he is strictly a pass defender as a safety, for the most part. Whitner had an off year last year, and still does most everything better than these two. I will say that Wilson is the most opportunistic of the three.

Scott is just a solid player. He's a sure tackler in both the pass and run game and it's quite rare that he lets things get by him. Wilson is solid considering he's only been at the safety position for two years.

The problem with Whitner is not that he doesn't make Sports Center caliber plays... it's that he often misses tackles and fails to cover tight ends (ex. Anthony Fasano should donate half his salary to Whitner). He surely had an off year last year, even I will admit to the fact that he's better than what he showed... having said that, he has yet to play like a top 10 pick, let alone a first rounder. I'd be thrilled if that all changed this year but if he was going to break out, he probably would have done so already.

Scott is just a solid player. He's a sure tackler in both the pass and run game and it's quite rare that he lets things get by him. Wilson is solid considering he's only been at the safety position for two years.

The problem with Whitner is not that he doesn't make Sports Center caliber plays... it's that he often misses tackles and fails to cover tight ends (ex. Anthony Fasano should donate half his salary to Whitner). He surely had an off year last year, even I will admit to the fact that he's better than what he showed... having said that, he has yet to play like a top 10 pick, let alone a first rounder. I'd be thrilled if that all changed this year but if he was going to break out, he probably would have done so already.

Whitner must be the most talked about player now that JP and Jason Peters are gone. He is about the same size as Roscoe Parrish and is not a very good pass defender. I get that he is a fan favorite - even after his issues with the law, but he has not been durable and is only average at best. That is the problem with the Bills - the current staff has to deal with the bad high pick investments the previous staffs have made (like McCargo & Whitner etc).

Whitner must be the most talked about player now that JP and Jason Peters are gone. He is about the same size as Roscoe Parrish and is not a very good pass defender. I get that he is a fan favorite - even after his issues with the law, but he has not been durable and is only average at best. That is the problem with the Bills - the current staff has to deal with the bad high pick investments the previous staffs have made (like McCargo & Whitner etc).

Here's the thing. Whitner is a very good pass defender for a safety. In fact he is so good the Bills used him as a nickel corner and he rarely was thrown on.

You have completely misread Whitner's strengths and weaknesses.

Whitner is an average 2nd or 3rd rd player that was taken 8th overall. Yep, he did not select himself, but it will be interesting to see if he starts/sits or is hurt again this year. I do not think he has ever played 16 games in his four seasons and only has 4 ints during that time...

Whitner is an average 2nd or 3rd rd player that was taken 8th overall. Yep, he did not select himself, but it will be interesting to see if he starts/sits or is hurt again this year. I do not think he has ever played 16 games in his four seasons and only has 4 ints during that time...

I do think... you'd be wrong about that.

You are wrong at so many levels. His size, his pass defense skills, the fan favorite bit, the issues with the law, durability. Pretty much everything you said is 100% wrong.

Congrats for your consistency!

Whitner has never played in more than 15 games in a season and has not started every game: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9594

Police used a Taser to subdue Whitner, who was arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest (Whitner was also arrested in 2006 for harassment of his live-in girlfriend):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4061171

Whitner is about the same size as Roscoe Parrish: Whitner is listed at 5' 10" - Roscoe is listed at 5' 9", but they are only close in height, not playing weight.

Whitner is only an average pass defender: What do you see in his stats that is above average for a pass defender? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9594

Again I hope every player that suits up for the Bills does well (including DW) - so we will have to see if he can stay healthy and this staff can get more out of him.