First depth chart

Heitz

Four pages of thread, and no one has commented on Steve Johnson getting the starting nod at WR. I think he has potential; and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do now that he's being given a bigger opportunity.

Does that mean that the Brandon era gets a pass for Hardy because they also took Johnson late? Just like McCargo can't be a bad pick because they found someone in the 5th in Williams!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean that the Brandon era gets a pass for Hardy because they also took Johnson late? Just like McCargo can't be a bad pick because they found someone in the 5th in Williams!

All organizations have hits and misses in the draft. The reason the Brandon era does not get a pass is because we haven't won enough games.

I suppose that is a rhetorical question but I will play along. I can give a regime a pass for one but not two blown high picks in a three year span. I look at this list and weep:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...0&type=team

Apparently Gailey is able to see qualities and abilities in Edwards that you, the average fan can't. I understand that it's much easier to be a lemming and follow the "Cpt. Checkdown" crowd but if Gailey has determined that Edwards is the starter then I'm fine with that. Sorry your guy didn't get picked. Implying that you're more knowledgeable than Gailey is absurd at best.

If you're older than 12, using "fail" is pitiful.

+1

Hplarrm is an excellent writer and has solid takes.

He also occasionally writes lengthy dissertations. In today's world, that will cost a writer some of his audience.

The best thing Pyrite has written. I usually skip over posts that long but it held my interest the whole way through. :thumbsup:

Exactly. It's not like this team is so loaded with talent that the young guys have to wait to see the field - quite the contrary - we have so many holes to fill that we absolutely have to have guys that can come in and play from the get go. Unfortunately, most of the same old talent evaluators responsible for these picks are still in the same roles, and one of them in now the GM - makes me wonder why everyone is so damn convinced we have a GM who is going to get us on the right track.....

Man less than one year since they cleaned house and your already calling them failures. The scouts probably aren't the problem. The people picking are the problem. Nix started in 2009 and his two drafts have been pretty solid.

Welcome back Bary Brady / Fake Fat Sunny / Pyrite Girl! I'm not even sure if you were gone or just posting briefly, infrequently under another "handle." I've missed your posts, even the very long ones.

I just figured out that was you when I read your previous post and realized your name was "MR Ralph" backwards.

Thanks/ I actually have been around and about TSW though not as consistently as I have been in some past eras.

A new season springs forward though so I likely will ramble on from time to time.

Stupar made some outstanding plays last year in preseason if I remember and then they placed him on the practice squad? I think I remember something along hose lines. I like the talent he has.

From the short camp time I've seen of Stupar, he mows down defense when blocking and catches everything in reach. All around player. Nelson looks like a receiver in person and blocks like one. Could be Chan's way of sending a message that TE's gotta block.

From the short camp time I've seen of Stupar, he mows down defense when blocking and catches everything in reach. All around player. Nelson looks like a receiver in person and blocks like one. Could be Chan's way of sending a message that TE's gotta block.

Evidently Jauron saw him mow down his daughter. :thumbsup:

Welcome back Bary Brady / Fake Fat Sunny / Pyrite Girl! I'm not even sure if you were gone or just posting briefly, infrequently under another "handle." I've missed your posts, even the very long ones.

I just figured out that was you when I read your previous post and realized your name was "MR Ralph" backwards.

seconded. Now to crack the name.

Greg Williams = Bobby Brady

Pyrite Gal = Mularkey

Fake Fat Sunny +

Hplarrm = Chan Gailey hmm

seconded. Now to crack the name.

Greg Williams = Bobby Brady

Pyrite Gal = Mularkey

Fake Fat Sunny +

Hplarrm = Chan Gailey hmm

I saw it before, but would love to see the exaplanation again. His names are the opposite of who is in charge or something they said (or similar).

Bary Brady = ...?

Pyrite Gal = opposite of "the golden boys" (Ralph and Marv)

Fake Fat Sunny = opposite of Real Slim Shady

Hplarrm = reverse of Mr Ralph

I realize you're responding to someone else's post. (The one about how finding Kyle Williams in the 5th supposedly balanced out the McCargo bust.)

Since you're responding to that earlier post, I may as well do so myself. Marv had three first round picks from 2006 - 2007. Those picks were used on Whitner (8th overall), McCargo, and Lynch (11th overall). :thumbsup: Of those three, McCargo is fairly close to being an outright bust, Whitner does not represent a significant upgrade over guys like George Wilson, and Lynch--while a solid player--is not the kind of difference-maker you'd hope for from an 11th overall pick.

Marv had four picks in the second and third rounds. Those picks were used on Poz, Trent Edwards, Youboty, and the Stroud trade. Both Poz and Trent have roughly lived up to their respective draft positions. Youboty was obviously a bust. Stroud played well for a while; but the strategic wisdom of a rebuilding team trading away a first day draft pick for someone else's aging veteran is questionable at best.

So that leaves Marv's picks in rounds 4-7. Kyle Williams is a good player. Brad Butler would have been a respectable (not great) starter at OG, had he not prematurely retired. But other than those two, that's about it for Marv's haul over those two years. Getting one solid starter, and one "might have been starter" over two years' worth of second day picks, seems about par for the course. Maybe even a little above-average. But by no means good enough to compensate for the outright disaster of Marv's first round picks; or his almost equally disastrous free agent signings.

In his defense he did have nagging injuries all year.

Thats not a defense, its an excuse.

People love Nelson because he runs good routes and has great hands and speed for his size. He is more of a slot TE, than a guy that can chip a defender and come off the line quickly for a reception in open space. He's not prototypical, but he has a lot of potential. Again, he is another draft pick by the last staff, where they took a guy based on need instead of value. Just my opinion.

Man less than one year since they cleaned house and your already calling them failures. The scouts probably aren't the problem. The people picking are the problem. Nix started in 2009 and his two drafts have been pretty solid.

I guess you and I may have a different idea of a solid draft. While I haven't completely given up on Maybin, all I can see from this point is a guy drafted in the top 10 who can't break into the starting linup behind a journeyman LB castoff from the Dolphins - that's pretty damn pathertic if you ask me. McKelvin before him also doesn't appear to have broken nto the starting lineup behind another veteran castoff, but at least he's had some playing time and done something on the field. Not saying there weren't also some good picks in those drafts, but if Maybin never gets off his current career trajectory and McKelvin can't crack the starting lineup those are HUGE misses AGAIN from a front office that has had far too many - how much money are we going to tie up in players who don't even start?

Thats not a defense, its an excuse.

People love Nelson because he runs good routes and has great hands and speed for his size. He is more of a slot TE, than a guy that can chip a defender and come off the line quickly for a reception in open space. He's not prototypical, but he has a lot of potential. Again, he is another draft pick by the last staff, where they took a guy based on need instead of value. Just my opinion.

The best offense is a good excuse?

I realize you're responding to someone else's post. (The one about how finding Kyle Williams in the 5th supposedly balanced out the McCargo bust.)

Since you're responding to that earlier post, I may as well do so myself. Marv had three first round picks from 2006 - 2007. Those picks were used on Whitner (8th overall), McCargo, and Lynch (11th overall). <_< Of those three, McCargo is fairly close to being an outright bust, Whitner does not represent a significant upgrade over guys like George Wilson, and Lynch--while a solid player--is not the kind of difference-maker you'd hope for from an 11th overall pick.

Marv had four picks in the second and third rounds. Those picks were used on Poz, Trent Edwards, Youboty, and the Stroud trade. Both Poz and Trent have roughly lived up to their respective draft positions. Youboty was obviously a bust. Stroud played well for a while; but the strategic wisdom of a rebuilding team trading away a first day draft pick for someone else's aging veteran is questionable at best.

So that leaves Marv's picks in rounds 4-7. Kyle Williams is a good player. Brad Butler would have been a respectable (not great) starter at OG, had he not prematurely retired. But other than those two, that's about it for Marv's haul over those two years. Getting one solid starter, and one "might have been starter" over two years' worth of second day picks, seems about par for the course. Maybe even a little above-average. But by no means good enough to compensate for the outright disaster of Marv's first round picks; or his almost equally disastrous free agent signings.

Dead on as usual HA.

I went to camp Friday and Sat and TE was the worst QB there - honestly. He threw one nice pass to Evans who was open by 10 yards. Fitxpatrick was better than TE and Brohm throws the nicest passes of the three. I was there only two days but cannot understand the ordering at QB -- it's like, let's just give it to TE? continuity of FAIL!

Maybin appears very immature and clownish in practice; Hardy is invisible. Troup and Carrington both stood out as did Chad Jackson. Steve Johnson had a few drops. Of course, TE and Steve JOhnson were running against the #1 defense but based on what I saw..don't expect much improvement in the passing game this season - Edwards = fail

The QB order at this point is mostly political. Edwards is the standing vet on this team regardless of how anyone has played. Its unrealistic to expect Gailey to hand the reins to Brohm when there are two experienced veterans on the team. expect, Edwards to struggle on Friday, Fitz to be typically mediocre and Brohm to fair well enough to move him to the number two spot. After next week's game, Brohm will be the starter.

Apparently Gailey is able to see qualities and abilities in Edwards that you, the average fan can't. I understand that it's much easier to be a lemming and follow the "Cpt. Checkdown" crowd but if Gailey has determined that Edwards is the starter then I'm fine with that. Sorry your guy didn't get picked. Implying that you're more knowledgeable than Gailey is absurd at best.

If you're older than 12, using "fail" is pitiful.

Edwards has not been named the starter for week 1. only for this first preseason game. if he plays well, kudos to Gailey. More likely, he will be demoted by the third preseason game for ineffective play in the game setting.

It's more than that. A lot of them are Losman carry overs who failed to see how terrible he was. The fact that Losman was out of the NFL and now sits 3/4 on the depth chart in Seattle be damned. Their chuck it long and no sense of field awareness guy was their hero. You know the guy who shows up to one clean up Buffalo parade and is touted as the local boy. The one who took 4 years to move to Buffalo.

regardless of Losman's inept performance on the field, don't knock him for his efforts to be part of the Buffalo community, he did a lot more than most players.

I wonder if the depth chart was on paper or a verbal…possibly the result of a Q and A?

Even if it was on paper, it's still so early that I can see why the Bills might not want to post it yet, officially.

its just a preliminary depth chart going into the first preseason game. typically, veterans and the previous year's starters (at the end of the season) get top billing in early preseason depth charts. A lot will change, everyone needs to calm down.

its just a preliminary depth chart going into the first preseason game. typically, veterans and the previous year's starters (at the end of the season) get top billing in early preseason depth charts. A lot will change, everyone needs to calm down.

You didn't answer the specific question which was asked.

That question was: Where, exactly, did the depth chart that Tim Graham alluded to, materialize from?

I found out the answer two days ago…below.

From the comments under Tim's blog piece:

LCHASE2249 (8/10/2010 at 10:55 AM) Report Violation

For those who might be wondering where to find this depth chart, it's on Page 30 of the Washington game release e-mailed to reporters yesterday afternoon and linked on the team's media website this morning. Don't know when they plan to update the public portion of the site.

A Lori sighting! And yet again in the form of a timely contribution.

My day just got better. :thumbsup:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...rst-depth-chart

Not many surprises - guess the reports on Hardy and McKelvin were right...

Can Friday just get here already?

Stupar seems to play great in preseason and then is nowhere to be found when the games count.. Maybe it was the previous administration or maybe he is a big game player when it doesn't count.. I guess we shall see...