First depth chart

Heitz

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most notable is Drayton Florence ahead of Leodis McKelvin at right cornerback. Last year's 11th overall draft choice, Aaron Maybin, is behind Miami Dolphins castoff Reggie Torbor at outside linebacker.

Third-round rookie Alex Carrington is the top backup at left defensive end ahead of 2006 first-rounder John McCargo.

Right there is a major reason why this franchise is suffering. First rounders that can't make it as starters. And we traded up for McCan'tgo! :)

Guest dog14787

STUPARMAN!!!!!!

That's awesome, from some of the reports I've seen, the guys been mowing people over and we need good blocking /plus good hands,

Jonathan Stupar has them both and he's fearless on the football field, great to see him get rewarded for all of his hard work. :)

Apparently the coaching staff doesn't think Nelson is a good enough blocker to be the #1 TE.

Would it have killed them to actually show us the entire depth chart? BuffaloBills.com doesn't have one listed, and the one listed on ESPN's site is noticeably different from what's in the article.

Stupar makes sense since you need good blocking on pretty much every play and you only occasionally need a TE with good speed/hands. Stupar's hands aren't so bad either.

Especially when you consider the size of our backs (when it comes to blocking) ML would probably be the best of the bunch and I'm sure that's not a role that he would be happy filling very often.

Stupar over Nelson?

Barf.

I have a funny story about Stupar that might explain his lack of playing time last season, take it for what it's worth. I was at a bar in hoboken watching the games last year wearing a Bills jersey. A group of guys yell go bills and I asked if they were from Buffalo. They said that they were from state college PA, but were good friends with Stupar (they were staying with a friend in Hoboken while in town for a bachelor party in NYC). I was saying how he looked promising in preseason and its a shame he got buried on the depth chart. They told me that his chances for playing time greatly decreased after he hooked up with Jauron's daughter. I assumed they were kidding around, but they went into some pretty vivid detail about it, and they all seemed to know the story. Not sure if its true, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.

I thought Stupar looked great in last year's preseason, and I couldn't figure out why we didn't play him more when he was healthy. Our recievers coach said, recently, that there are guys who look good in practice but who don't show up as much on game day, and then there are guys who don't stand out as much in practice but who show up big time on game day. Stupar seems to very often be making big plays. I like it.

I'm surprised about Stupar over Nelson. Imo looks much more muscular and i think that should translate to a better blocking game for him, since we've seen his good set of hands in the passing game. I'm still expecting a big year from him.

I have a funny story about Stupar that might explain his lack of playing time last season, take it for what it's worth. I was at a bar in hoboken watching the games last year wearing a Bills jersey. A group of guys yell go bills and I asked if they were from Buffalo. They said that they were from state college PA, but were good friends with Stupar (they were staying with a friend in Hoboken while in town for a bachelor party in NYC). I was saying how he looked promising in preseason and its a shame he got buried on the depth chart. They told me that his chances for playing time greatly decreased after he hooked up with Jauron's daughter. I assumed they were kidding around, but they went into some pretty vivid detail about it, and they all seemed to know the story. Not sure if its true, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.

That story may be true, but I just figured it was because Jauron couldnt evaluate the talent they had until it hit him in the face (and sometimes didnt realise it even after it hit him in the face) See Greer/Jackson/Leonard - even Pat Williams could be on that list. Last preseason Stupar was very impressive and this whole board saw it. It was pretty obvious. Im not that suprised he has worked his way up the depth chart.

I'm surprised about Stupar over Nelson. Nelson imo looks much more muscular and i think that should translate to a better blcoking game for him, since we've seen his good set of hands in the passing game. Still expecting a big year from him.

Unfortunately, for some reason it doesn't.

I'm surprised about Stupar over Nelson. Nelson imo looks much more muscular and i think that should translate to a better blcoking game for him, since we've seen his good set of hands in the passing game. Still expecting a big year from him.
Someone who attended camp reported here that when the TEs did a drill involving pushing a blocking sled, Nelson was noticeably worse at it compared to the other TEs. Of course, he should have been doing work in the offseason to increase his upper body strength. If he wasn't, he has nobody to blame but himself. Maybe it's just going to take a little longer for him to build that strength up.

Stupar's home town is listed as State College PA. And Jauron does have two daughters. He is 59, so you would think his daughters are probably somewhat older than Stupar, but not necessarily.

Someone who attended camp reported here that when the TEs did a drill involving pushing a blocking sled, Nelson was noticeably worse at it compared to the other TEs. Of course, he should have been doing work in the offseason to increase his upper body strength. If he wasn't, he has nobody to blame but himself. Maybe it's just going to take a little longer for him to build that strength up.

Stupar's home town is listed as State College PA. And Jauron does have two daughters. He is 59, so you would think his daughters are probably somewhat older than Stupar, but not necessarily.

Crypt-cougars?

I've seen him do that drill a couple times this year, he doesn't seem to far behind the others and even if he was his pass catching ability should put him passed Stupar, since we haven't seen Stupar in an actual regular season game against starters.

Maybe we'll see a lot of two tight end formations.

:)

I was thinking the same thing a while back. With no dominant #2 WR, and a surplus of effective RBs, and a precarious OT situation, you might need quite a bit of 1 WR 2 TE 2 RB sets. Assuming Nelson is one of the TEs and Spiller is one of the RBs, then you could potentially create matchup problems by splitting out either/both.

Personally, I don't see the excitement over Shawn Nelson. His physique is "maybinesque" and had all of 17 receptions last year for a TE position that was devestated by injuries. Why the hype going onto 2010?

Personally, I don't see the excitement over Shawn Nelson. His physique is "maybinesque" and had all of 17 receptions last year for a TE position that was devestated by injuries. Why the hype going onto 2010?

In his defense he did have nagging injuries all year.

Stupar's 26, meaning that Jauron could have had an equally aged daughter at 33. That's not that old.

That story may be true, but I just figured it was because Jauron couldnt evaluate the talent they had until it hit him in the face (and sometimes didnt realise it even after it hit him in the face) See Greer/Jackson/Leonard - even Pat Williams could be on that list. Last preseason Stupar was very impressive and this whole board saw it. It was pretty obvious. Im not that suprised he has worked his way up the depth chart.

That is what I remember. This whole Jauron's daughter thing makes sense. The anouncers kept calling him out in preseason about the tremendous play he was making. Must have been the Daughter.

And Brohm is third. Seems he is very good at that spot. 2 years in GB at 3rd and now he continues so show that sparkling ability to stay there.

There's a possibility that Chan is rotating them at 2nd for the pre-season games like he has in practice.

Guest dog14787
And Brohm is third. Seems he is very good at that spot. 2 years in GB at 3rd and now he continues so show that sparkling ability to stay there.

Gailey will gear Brian Brohm up to start should something happen to TE long term in my opinion.

Fitzpatrick would have to perform very well in relief to prevent it. ( win )

I went to camp Friday and Sat and TE was the worst QB there - honestly. He threw one nice pass to Evans who was open by 10 yards. Fitxpatrick was better than TE and Brohm throws the nicest passes of the three. I was there only two days but cannot understand the ordering at QB -- it's like, let's just give it to TE? continuity of FAIL!

Maybin appears very immature and clownish in practice; Hardy is invisible. Troup and Carrington both stood out as did Chad Jackson. Steve Johnson had a few drops. Of course, TE and Steve JOhnson were running against the #1 defense but based on what I saw..don't expect much improvement in the passing game this season - Edwards = fail

Hardy gets cut if he doesn't move up from his current spot behind Johnson, Parrish, and Nelson. Of course Nelson is hurt, so maybe he just makes it, but what a disappointment.

Edit: I guess Nelson isn't hurt, so bye-bye Hardy. Guess he dropped a TD pass tonight in the back of the end zone - not helping yourself there James.

The overriding feeling I get from this depth chart is the lack of quality depth at every position except RB and DB. The 2011 draft will be more important than this year's. Anybody sporting a 2011 mock draft board? I'm psyched already.

Finally some common sense. Stupar. A decent combo of blocking and receiving. Not great but decent. Decent is better than what we've had in the past. Now let's see if Nelson can improve his blocking and take over the No. 1 spot.

LOL Hilarious. If true, thank goodness Stupar didn't get cut :) This sure explains things. hmmm but when Fewell took over, did Stupar get more time on the field? i can't recall.

I cant stand it....I just cant take it anymore.......

I defended this guy to a ridiculous extent last year because you gotta give a rookie a full season and a full training camp......

BUT

Jesus behind someone that Miami didnt want....seriously Maybin? We need to get out from under this bad contract and player as fast as possible......

Now watch him have 5 sacks next game

Stupar makes sense since you need good blocking on pretty much every play and you only occasionally need a TE with good speed/hands. Stupar's hands aren't so bad either.

It does seem to tell you what Gailey is looking for in a TE. Like the last bunch of Bills coaches, he wants a guy who can both block and catch, so even if you are the best recieving TE on the team, you're not going to go in on most plays if you can't block. Presumably they'll play Nelson in some situations, particularly obvious passing situations, but it seems to be a look at what they want from a TE.

I was a bit shocked by Hardy as a fourth-stringer (I'd have guessed second), and Chad Jackson as a third. Not good for either guy, but we've seen for years WRs look good in camp and not make the team, so maybe this Jackson is just another case of that.

The Torbor over Maybin pick doesn't look good for our pass rush. ROLB is the main pass rush slot in the 3 - 4, and Torbor has 6.5 sacks in six year of playing. He played in a 3 - 4 most recently in Miami and ended up with 1.5 sacks in two years and was let go. I've been doubting him a bit, but hoping Maybin would look like the real thing. It's too early to say, but it looks like he may need more time. Not good for our pass rush. We don't have one guy who's a sack artist.

I don't see the Brohm at third thing as anything to get upset about. You generally want a second-stringer with some experience, you don't want Brohm as a second, you want him as a first or a third.

I've liked Drayton Florence for a long time, and I think he's underestimated here. This doesn't say good things about McKelvin at all, but Florence is a very strong player.

No huge surprises. It's good to see the team taking shape.

Looks like Maybin will be a situational pass rusher coming off the edge, which is fine, if ya ask me. I think the expectations were a tad high coming out, and esp with Orakpo having the year that he had (granted with much more help). Right Now, aaron is still growing into his NFL body, and learning how to play at this level. If he is going to be a liability on run downs i'd rather have him off the field. Let him rotate in on pass plays and rush the passer, and learn the game throughout the season, he can still contribute, be productive and progress.

on Hardy, it looks like he may be in trouble, which is very disappointing because he could be so much better. I for one, Hope he has a place on this team and can be productive in redzone sets at the very least.

Right there is a major reason why this franchise is suffering. First rounders that can't make it as starters. And we traded up for McCan'tgo! :)

There is no question McCargo is a flat out bust. However, it does strike me as a little bit football blind when one can blast the Bills (even if correctly) for the mistake with McCargo and not also since one chooses to site this draft not give them some praise for the incredible rarity of getting a first year starter in the 5th in Kyle Williams.

To some extent he got the start because McCargo was so bad and the roster had no talent on it to compete.

However, Williams strikes me as having earned the extension he got and has seemed to earn the attention and respect of other players and opposing coaches around the league with a Pro Bowl alternate nod.

If he succeeds in playing a positive role in the 3-4 then he will have earned respect big time, I can't see the logic of panning the Bills for bad scouting or picking in regard to the bad pick of McCargo without at least giving some nod of the hat for Williams as a pick,

It does seem to tell you what Gailey is looking for in a TE. Like the last bunch of Bills coaches, he wants a guy who can both block and catch, so even if you are the best recieving TE on the team, you're not going to go in on most plays if you can't block. Presumably they'll play Nelson in some situations, particularly obvious passing situations, but it seems to be a look at what they want from a TE.

I was a bit shocked by Hardy as a fourth-stringer (I'd have guessed second), and Chad Jackson as a third. Not good for either guy, but we've seen for years WRs look good in camp and not make the team, so maybe this Jackson is just another case of that.

The Torbor over Maybin pick doesn't look good for our pass rush. ROLB is the main pass rush slot in the 3 - 4, and Torbor has 6.5 sacks in six year of playing. He played in a 3 - 4 most recently in Miami and ended up with 1.5 sacks in two years and was let go. I've been doubting him a bit, but hoping Maybin would look like the real thing. It's too early to say, but it looks like he may need more time. Not good for our pass rush. We don't have one guy who's a sack artist.

I don't see the Brohm at third thing as anything to get upset about. You generally want a second-stringer with some experience, you don't want Brohm as a second, you want him as a first or a third.

I've liked Drayton Florence for a long time, and I think he's underestimated here. This doesn't say good things about McKelvin at all, but Florence is a very strong player.

No huge surprises. It's good to see the team taking shape.

I think Hardy and Nelson will be used in goal line situations because they should be able to out jump most DBs for the ball. As for McKelvin he may be behind Florence due to his still coming back from injury, although that doesn't seem to be a problem for him anymore. Also, Florence had a very good year last year. It's not like McKelvin is behind some scrub.

There is no question McCargo is a flat out bust. However, it does strike me as a little bit football blind when one can blast the Bills (even if correctly) for the mistake with McCargo and not also since one chooses to site this draft not give them some praise for the incredible rarity of getting a first year starter in the 5th in Kyle Williams.

To some extent he got the start because McCargo was so bad and the roster had no talent on it to compete.

However, Williams strikes me as having earned the extension he got and has seemed to earn the attention and respect of other players and opposing coaches around the league with a Pro Bowl alternate nod.

If he succeeds in playing a positive role in the 3-4 then he will have earned respect big time, I can't see the logic of panning the Bills for bad scouting or picking in regard to the bad pick of McCargo without at least giving some nod of the hat for Williams as a pick,

What he said. :)

STUPARMAN!!!!!!

That's awesome, from some of the reports I've seen, the guys been mowing people over and we need good blocking /plus good hands,

Jonathan Stupar has them both and he's fearless on the football field, great to see him get rewarded for all of his hard work. :)

+1 B-)

The reason the Bills have been so bad is because they don't have very good players, but we, as fans, still get attached to our players. So when we find out that they are going to get cut, or they have been moved down the depth chart, that is a good thing, It means we are slowly improving our team.