OT: Looking for some good wing sauce recipes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for some good wing sauce recipes. Anything you have would be great. Different flavors, hotness levels, etc.

Not sure if this is where to post this so if the mods need to move it that's cool and I'm sorry in advance.

I could tell you ......but then I would have to kill you...

Franks yes, but melted butter no. If you really want the sauce to stick to the wings and taste authentic use melted margarine instead of butter - it is 100 times better.

Nice tip :unsure: My bottle of Anchor Bar sauce is almost empty and I've been thinking about mixing up my own sauce for the season

Franks and Butter. simple yet effective and delicious.

Add Salt and pepper to this and you're pretty much there. Also, add some tabasco for a little extra spice. Secret ingredient is a tiny bit of vinegar.

That's it in a nutshell. Some use margarine.

But that is really "the official" wing recipe, IMO. If you are in a bar in Buffalo eating wings, that's likely what you are having.

One more thing. Make sure the wings are fried crispy.

When I make wings for ME, I use almost no butter or margarine (often none at all), but that's just me. I add a bit of Tabasco and vinegar as above, and also ground hot pepper. The hotter the better, for me.

I'm looking for some good wing sauce recipes. Anything you have would be great. Different flavors, hotness levels, etc.

Not sure if this is where to post this so if the mods need to move it that's cool and I'm sorry in advance.

Frank's (Durkee) original hot sauce + butter (preferably unsalted)

Not Texas Pete. Not Trappeys. Not Red Devil. Not Bull.

Frank's.

That's It!

The degree of heat will depend on the ratio of butter to sauce. Start out with a ¼ cup butter to 1 cup sauce ratio, and adjust from there - hotter or milder.

I go to more wing places with shtty wing sauce and it baffles me. All I can think is they must think "it can't be that easy". It is.

There's no law (though there should be) about adding other crap, e.g. barbeque sauce, vinegar, tabasco, cayenne pepper, and a whole lot of other crap that famous wing chefs use to put their own signature on the sauce.

If you want authentic Buffalo-style wings, Frank's & Butter (or margarine). Really.

Oh, and the other screw up that wing joints around the country are great at is serving rubbery-skinned wings. For crisp wings, the secret is not frying the living snot out of them - it's draining them properly. Let 'em sit a minute over the fryer. Oily undrained wings thrown into sauce only makes a big mess. Drain 'em, crisp 'em up, add the Frank's/butter sauce and you have REAL Buffalo wings.

Oh and BTW - be careful when shopping at your local grocer - don't buy that already prepared Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce with Butter. It blows. I don't know what they were thinking. Just get the orginal Frank's. It's a deeper red color than the other one.

Add Salt and pepper to this and you're pretty much there. Also, add some tabasco for a little extra spice. Secret ingredient is a tiny bit of vinegar.

No

chiavettas grilled wings are phenomenal

Not Buffalo Wings...next

Back before I learned about Franks, I just used melted margarine, lots of Tobasco, and garlic salt.

No

The Central New Jersey Bills Backers had some wings at the TBD Tailgate circa like 2004 that were fabulous. Ok we are off to a good start. I'm into all types of sauces and want to add more to my recipe book. Thanks in advance.

So long as none of them require pickle juice, you should be all right.

Wrong. There's vinegar in there too. It's what makes the nose-hairs curl.

The vinegar is crucial for me. I actually go a little heavier than most. And like Deano, I really prefer crispy wings. In fact, if we're out, I order my wings dry with sauce on the side because in the time it takes to get the wings to the table, the crispiness gets killed by the sauce.

The vinegar is crucial for me. I actually go a little heavier than most. And like Deano, I really prefer crispy wings. In fact, if we're out, I order my wings dry with sauce on the side because in the time it takes to get the wings to the table, the crispiness gets killed by the sauce.

If you ain't coughing as you're raising the wing to your mouth, there ain't enough vinegar. :unsure: