OT: Looking for some good wing sauce recipes

WHAT!!!!! ARE YOU NUTS?

That method on the side of a Frank's sauce bottle isn't all that bad. I've yakked about it for a long time. Not everybody has wing joints around the corner, if at all. Not everybody wants to stink up the house with deep frying. :D Wings are not a gourmet food.

For those that bake per the Frank's recipe - put the lowers fat skin down, then flip them over (uppers, to0), half-way thru. Don't line the pan with foil. Don't brush 'em with additional oil. Don't move 'em up to the broiler thinking you can add more crisp to them..they will burst into flames!

Give the baked recipe a try, Tomcat. <_<

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I agree that some places put vinegar in their sauce, but those places are far in the minority.

You are correct.

Vinegar is a legit ingredient in "authentic Buffalo-style wings" but it isn't universal. More probably don't add the extra vinegar, as it is already in Frank's.

I tend to add a touch extra.

Nope. I agree that some places put vinegar in their sauce, but those places are far in the minority.

I would also contend that only a minority of places serving Buffalo Wings have wings worth eating. Also, as has been stated, most hot pepper sauces already have a good amount of vinegar (Tabasco and Franks to name a few), but that doesn't mean a little extra isn't nice.

cooking just for yourself? then a small deep fryer will be fine. You can cook up to 12 wings at a time.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-05420-FryDadd...1059&sr=8-1

don't forget the fries, celery, blue cheese (Marie's) and beer.

burp <_<

I'm the cook in the house and will be cooking for myself, my wife, and I guess 18mo isn't too young for my son to have chicken wings. Gotta get him started off early or he'll be thinking North Carolina BBQ will pass as real food :D

This thread is making me so hungry.

I agree, I'm friggin hungry now!

This thread is making me so hungry.

Me too.

I feel like crap today and I'm not sure if some stupid-hot wings will make me feel better or worse. Probably worth a shot.

I worked in a few wing joints around town in high school and college. None used vinegar.

I know. Right?

As I said previously, you can add any damn thing you want without violating anyone's rights, but IF you want AUTHENTIC Buffalo Style wings, Frank's & Butter/Margarine.

I've actually done the vinegar thing, but I found myself going back to just the two main ingredients.

Vinegar is not what Frank & Teresa or Duff's use.

There was a local joint in Williamsville that used to mix in a little original Open Pit BBQ sauce to sweeten it up a bit. The wings were good with that sauce recipe, but still not the original authentic taste that made the Buffalo Wings famous.

Good frying oil is essential too. And good tasting chicken helps a lot as well. Around here, we have Publix and Kroger. I don't know where these birds come from or how their growth is enhanced, but the meat doesn't have the same *chick-eliscious flavor that I remember.

If you want to splurge, spring for some naturally fed chicken (wings).

Baking wings:

Always hated this idea, but recently tried a method from Food Network's Alton Brown, and it actually produces nice crispy wings, though missing some of the residual frying oil flavor. Use one of them fold-up streamer basket things to steam (yes steam) the wings for 10 minutes. This eliminates the excess fat, which keeps oven baked wings from crisping up. After a nice steam, the wings get baked (on a rack for good convection) for 40 minutes at 420 degrees. Got somewhat healthier wings that were nice and crispy. Not a bad alternative. Still perfer the deep-fried heart attack version.

All this wing talk...mmmm....all I've had today is some egg beaters and a turkey hot dog for lunch.

Alright, going off the diet tonight. :thumbsup:

*Classic SNL commercial ad send-up from early 90s. This is hilarious.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2317/saturday-ni...cluckin-chicken

Me too.

I feel like crap today and I'm not sure if some stupid-hot wings will make me feel better or worse. Probably worth a shot.

Perhaps a dash of that malt vinegar that our Canadian friends like to use on their fries?

Is it available in the States? - I'm not a vinegar user, I don't know. :thumbsup:

I know. Right?

As I said previously, you can add any damn thing you want without violating anyone's rights, but IF you want AUTHENTIC Buffalo Style wings, Frank's & Butter/Margarine.

I've actually done the vinegar thing, but I found myself going back to just the two main ingredients.

Vinegar is not what Frank & Teresa or Duff's use.

There was a local joint in Williamsville that used to mix in a little original Open Pit BBQ sauce to sweeten it up a bit. The wings were good with that sauce recipe, but still not the original authentic taste that made the Buffalo Wings famous.

Good frying oil is essential too. And good tasting chicken helps a lot as well. Around here, we have Publix and Kroger. I don't know where these birds come from or how their growth is enhanced, but the meat doesn't have the same *chick-eliscious flavor that I remember.

If you want to splurge, spring for some naturally fed chicken (wings).

Baking wings:

Always hated this idea, but recently tried a method from Food Network's Alton Brown, and it actually produces nice crispy wings, though missing some of the residual frying oil flavor. Use one of them fold-up streamer basket things to steam (yes steam) the wings for 10 minutes. This eliminates the excess fat, which keeps oven baked wings from crisping up. After a nice steam, the wings get baked (on a rack for good convection) for 40 minutes at 420 degrees. Got somewhat healthier wings that were nice and crispy. Not a bad alternative. Still perfer the deep-fried heart attack version.

All this wing talk...mmmm....all I've had today is some egg beaters and a turkey hot dog for lunch.

Alright, going off the diet tonight. :thumbsup:

Franks Red Hot sauce as well as anchor bar sauce is loaded with vinegar. In fact it's the second ingredient, after cayenne peppers.

I know. Right?

I think that is probably how the bulk of the local bars and restaurants make their wings. Actually I think there are a few ingredients that are acceptable on "authentic Buffalo-style wings". Not all of them have to be used, but using them doesn't make the wing less authentic:

Franks hot sauce. This is the main and most indispensable ingredient. (Although I'm not positive Anchor Bar uses it.) You can use it alone and the wings will be authentic.

Butter or margarine. Let the war rage. Most places use one of these to vary the amount of heat. More fat, less heat. But some places simply adjust the amount of sauce they use. More sauce = hot. That's the lazy way, IMO.

Salt and/or pepper (cayenne is acceptable, too), Tabasco or other hot sauce. A wing place worth its stripes should offer suicidal or super hot wings. This simply can't be achieved without extra heat being added to the sauce. But the key is to keep the basic flavor while increasing the heat. A few drops of Tabasco or super hot sauce (Dave's Insanity) can work, too. This is usually a joint-by-joint decision. If the use of the product doesn't change the basic flavor, it's OK. As for salt, some places salt the wings after they come out of the fryer and before adding the sauce. While I'm not a bit salt fan, the best wings I ever had at a restaurant were made this way (Tally-Ho, Niagara Falls...defunct).

Vinegar. An extra few drops is acceptable and used in some places.

Authentic Buffalo-style wings MUST be fried and not coated/breaded/battered before frying. Yes, baked wings can taste fine, but they aren't authentic.

Any questions?

I never noticed this before, but it looks like they are making pretty damn good chicken in that commercial. :thumbsup:

Butter or margarine. Let the war rage. Most places use one of these to vary the amount of heat. More fat, less heat. But some places simply adjust the amount of sauce they use. More sauce = hot. That's the lazy way, IMO.

That small amount of butter/margarine is probably needed to marry aqueous sauce with the non-aqueous wing surface. Perhaps some sort of micelle behavior, if you recall your chemistry.