Remember when people really wanted these guys?

per rotoworld:

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) are both listed as third-stringers on the depth chart released by the Redskins Monday.

Thomas is behind Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams at split end while Kelly -- still sitting out with a hamstring injury -- is behind Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong at flanker. Thomas entered camp third on the depth chart, but it was thought that his talent would at least move him up with the second-stringers. Moss is the only 'Skins receiver worth drafting at this point.

per rotoworld:

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) are both listed as third-stringers on the depth chart released by the Redskins Monday.

Thomas is behind Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams at split end while Kelly -- still sitting out with a hamstring injury -- is behind Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong at flanker. Thomas entered camp third on the depth chart, but it was thought that his talent would at least move him up with the second-stringers. Moss is the only 'Skins receiver worth drafting at this point.

Sadly James Hardy has not done much either, though you can argue his injury is a big reason.

PTR

None of the big WRs from the top end of that draft have panned out. Oddly enough, the little guys - who no one here wanted - have panned out (Desean Jackson; Eddie Royal). I remember reading somewhere that Hardy was a classic case of a 4th-5th round talent (based on his stiffness/lack of quickness) becoming a second rounder because of size.

None of the big WRs from the top end of that draft have panned out. Oddly enough, the little guys - who no one here wanted - have panned out (Desean Jackson; Eddie Royal). I remember reading somewhere that Hardy was a classic case of a 4th-5th round talent (based on his stiffness/lack of quickness) becoming a second rounder because of size.
I really liked Hardy at IU, & still hope he can turn things around.

Jordy Nelson has done quite well on GB and has been very impressive this offseason as well. There is a reason none of the big guys got drafted in the 1st round

I hope you're right, but I was really underwhelmed by him in his rookie season (prior to the injury). He looked very, very slow to me.
Yeah... I remember him catching a fairly deep TD pass from JP in a pre-season game, but that's all I've got.

Another example of poor decison making. The sky is falling because we don't have any big recievers. Does that stop Steve Smith from being a superstar? Speed and route running CAN be much more effective than size. Yes if they have both like TO and Plaxico Burress(that is what people were looking at around that time due to the SB and his season) then great. Plus big WR's are generally not returners(not that we need any more KR/PR's) and so if they can't get open and produce on offense then there is little else to be gained.

per rotoworld:

I actually think Devin Thomas will eventually emerge to get playing time this year. He has shown flashes on the field, and with McNabb throwing the ball now I think he will get more opportunity to develop. Kelly I have doubts will even make the final roster.

per rotoworld:

that was an awful class for WR's and a classic example why you don't draft for need- you always draft BPA

I really liked Hardy at IU, & still hope he can turn things around.

Holy crap! is that a positive comment from you? Did hell suddenly get a bit frosty?

As with all receivers, the 3rd year is the make or break season. So you need to reserve judgment until then.

But it shows why drafting solely based on need is a great way to kill your team. That was a bad year for top flight receivers. You shouldn't draft a guy simply because you need to fill a position. It's why I'm glad we didn't draft a qb high this year.

I always think its amazing how an injury early in a players career can affect or stunt the growth of a player so much. Obviously those first few years (and offseasons, OTAs, training camps, ect) are so integral.

But how many players have we heard had an injury in their first or second years and make a Pro Bowl at some point? I can't think of any. They either get labeled injury prone or just fall too far behind to get carried on a roster anymore with potential alone.

Thats what scares me about Hardy and McKelvin (not saying their careers are over whatsoever). Let's hope they can break that mold.

But back to that question: Do you guys know of any players that have been injured their first or second years that rebounded into solid/stud players later on?

The only person I can think of is McGahee...but obviously thats a strange case since it happened before he ever played a down.

Jordy Nelson has done quite well on GB and has been very impressive this offseason as well. There is a reason none of the big guys got drafted in the 1st round

Nelson's been OK. He has about 700 yards in two years. Royal had a good rookie season but didn't do much last year. Donnie Avery has actually been pretty decent for a really awful team. Jerome Simpson, Limas Sweed, and Dexter Jackson have been even worse than Hardy.

2 33 St. Louis Rams Donnie Avery WR Houston C-USA

2 34 Washington Redskins Devin Thomas WR Michigan State Big Ten from Oakland via Atlanta

2 35 Kansas City Chiefs Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech ACC

2 36 Green Bay Packers Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State Big 12 from New York Jets

2 37 Atlanta Falcons Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma Big 12

2 38 Seattle Seahawks John Carlson TE Notre Dame Ind. from Baltimore

2 39 San Francisco 49ers Chilo Rachal G USC Pac-10

2 40 New Orleans Saints Tracy Porter CB Indiana Big Ten

2 41 Buffalo Bills James Hardy WR Indiana Big Ten

2 42 Denver Broncos Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech ACC

2 43 Minnesota Vikings Tyrell Johnson S Arkansas State Sun Belt from Carolina via Philadelphia

2 44 Chicago Bears Matt Forté RB Tulane University C-USA

2 45 Detroit Lions Jordon Dizon LB Colorado Big 12

2 46 Cincinnati Bengals Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina Big South

2 47 Philadelphia Eagles Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame Ind. from Minnesota

2 48 Washington Redskins Fred Davis TE USC Pac-10 from Houston via Atlanta

2 49 Philadelphia Eagles DeSean Jackson† WR California Pac-10

2 50 Arizona Cardinals Calais Campbell DE Miami (FL) ACC

2 51 Washington Redskins Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma Big 12

2 52 Jacksonville Jaguars Quentin Groves DE Auburn SEC from Tampa Bay

2 53 Pittsburgh Steelers Limas Sweed WR Texas Big 12

2 54 Tennessee Titans Jason Jones DT Eastern Michigan MAC

2 55 Baltimore Ravens Ray Rice† RB Rutgers Big East from Seattle

2 56 Green Bay Packers Brian Brohm QB Louisville Big East from Cleveland

2 57 Miami Dolphins Chad Henne QB Michigan Big Ten from San Diego

2 58 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State SoCon from Jacksonville

2 59 Indianapolis Colts Mike Pollak C Arizona State Pac-10

2 60 Green Bay Packers Patrick Lee CB Auburn SEC

2 61 Dallas Cowboys Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M Big 12

2 62 New England Patriots Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado Big 12

2 63 New York Giants Terrell Thomas CB USC Pac-10

per rotoworld:

Sadly James Hardy has not done much either, though you can argue his injury is a big reason.

PTR

Dont look at me, I really wanted Sweed! :unsure:

I did really like Jordy Nelson too. He has had the most success of the bunch, but I dont think I would of taken him over Sweed if I had the cahnce.

Nelson's been OK. He has about 700 yards in two years. Royal had a good rookie season but didn't do much last year. Donnie Avery has actually been pretty decent for a really awful team. Jerome Simpson, Limas Sweed, and Dexter Jackson have been even worse than Hardy.

Yep. As for Royal, he had a down year last year and won't have Brandon Marshall drawing extra attention. And another guy from that year who may be something is Manningham.