Can Chan inspire like Marv?

I may have been.

But how did we get those guys as rookies? Bill !@#$ing Polian.

For what is it worth Polian claims that one of his best moves in building the Bills was hiring Marv Levy. He absolutely loves and respects him. He considered him the perfect coach for that team of wild characters.

Go figure that the man you praise so much (Polian) would never have replaced the man you blame for not winning (Levy).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might get me banned as a Bills fan, but Marv Levy is one of the most overrated head coaches of all time. He had the luxury of the greatest GM, supporting coaching team, and team of all-pros of all time. He was terribly outcoached in SBXXV and he is the sole reason we lost that game.

So, can Chan inspire Evan to become Reed? Can he inspire GIFF F'in SMITH to become Chuck Dickerson? Can he inspire Buddy Nix to become Bill Polian? Can he inspire...... well, you get the idea.

I agree with you there. Additionally, he should have controlled Kelly more before the Superbowl. If Talley is right, and he partied himself into a stupor, then the blame falls on both Marv and Jim for not considering the ramifications of his actions.

You guys are crazy....

Talk to any player from the SB teams, or Bill Polian, or Bill Parcells, or Don Shula,

they all praise Marv's leadership and football knowledge!

Sure, he stunk as a GM, but really he was more of a figurehead in that role...

stop letting that make you revise history.

Sure they had to be a very talented team to get to that first Superbowl, but it was Marv's

leadership that got them to 3 more. How many teams have even been to 2 in a row let alone 4?

And to say that had nothing to do with leadership is just crazy.

In the first superbowl we lost by a field goal in the last seconds of the game. That's

about as tight as a game could be and that's against a Parcells/Belicheck coached

team (that we had already beat in another nail biter just a few weeks earlier in the

regular season). So to say Marv was totally outcoached again is an over statement.

Marv helped reinvent Special Teams...do you think Tasker would be who he was/is

without Marv.

I could go on and on...but Marv is not overrated and is totally deserving of the HOF.

"It is said that leadership is that unique quality which enables special people to stand up and pull the rest of us over the horizon. By that or any other definition, Marv Levy is one of the greatest leaders this game has ever known." Bill Polian

"That's one of my frustrations, not getting Dan Marino back into the Super Bowl, and Marv had a lot to do with that. They had a great team with great players. Bill Polian made it all happen when he hired Marv, and Marv's genius and ability to coach was just the natural fit for Buffalo." Don Shula

This might get me banned as a Bills fan, but Marv Levy is one of the most overrated head coaches of all time. He had the luxury of the greatest GM, supporting coaching team, and team of all-pros of all time. He was terribly outcoached in SBXXV and he is the sole reason we lost that game.

So, can Chan inspire Evan to become Reed? Can he inspire GIFF F'in SMITH to become Chuck Dickerson? Can he inspire Buddy Nix to become Bill Polian? Can he inspire...... well, you get the idea.

If Norwood made the kick would you still say he was outcoached?

As to the original poster's question:

I did like that in Spiller's interview he quoted Gailey saying something like

"As coach says, it's a tough game for tough people"

Hopefully Chan can inspire his men as Marv and other great coaches do...

Don't underestimate leadership and inspiration...how many teams (in any sport) have

we all seen that were loaded with talent and went no where because they weren't

all pulling in the same direction towards the same goal or weren't motivated enough

to lay it all on the line. And conversely how many times have we seen an underdog

upset a more talented team because they were more inspired, motivated, working harder, etc.

If Norwood made the kick would you still say he was outcoached?

Immediately afterward? Of course not. Years later, still maybe not since we would have won the goddamn superbowl. But looking back objectively, he was terribly outcoached.

Just my opinion. I know this is an unpopular opinion so I'll bow out of this thread.

You are entirely correct. Marv was good at keeping egos soothed and not much more. Imo he was average at best as a coach, and way worse as a GM.

Fools will translate this into "we hate Marv." Let this be their problem.

Immediately afterward? Of course not. Years later, still maybe not since we would have won the goddamn superbowl. But looking back objectively, he was terribly outcoached.

Just my opinion. I know this is an unpopular opinion so I'll bow out of this thread.

np. It's a fair question. I'm just not sure how. The O had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points and 370 yards. The D was the big problem and I don't know how Marv gets blamed for that.

Ah, man...this is a ridiculous "which came first" argument.

I heard it also said in an NFL films quote from some idiot Sports Illustrated writer. He was saying how much the Bills of the 90's were overrated because the AFC was so weak.

Talk about disdain.

He then went on to trumpet how the 49ers are the greatest, blah, blah, blah.

Now, it could be said that, using his "logic", the 49ers were simply not a good team because the rest of the NFL was so bad. I mean, it's a total garbage argument. Does anyone say that the Patriots are a fluke because of their ownership of the league for the past decade?

Now, as far as your Levy points...to say that he is overrated is akin to believing in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Lockness Monster. I will agree, in SB 25 (let's ged rid of the centuries old roman numerals, already), when the Giants are in a 7 defensive back/ 2 down lineman set, we should have been pounding Thurman instead of squeezing it into Reed and Lofton. But, we also ran an offense called the 'K-Gun', and Jim Kelly was the general until we got in the Red Zone. Therefore, is Marv really the culprit, or should Kelly have been calling more runs?

Using your logic on the roster and GM, then the Colts must also be in no need of a head coach, either. They have Manning and Polian, so why do they need a head coach? Tony Dungy must be overrated then, too.

np. It's a fair question. I'm just not sure how. The O had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points and 370 yards. The D was the big problem and I don't know how Marv gets blamed for that.

This is the Philster's specialty. He'll explain it to you if he sees this.

But there are several examples of Parcells winning the coaching duel.

Thankfully, it is just an opinion.

As I already mentioned, the only poor coaching was when the Giants were in a 7 defensive back defense, and we kept trying to throw. And I think that had more to do with Kelly than with Marv. It was poor adapting on the Bills part.

Other than that, I can remember atleast 3 big plays where the defense forgot how to tackle, and allowed the G-Men to convert on 3rd and 17, etc, thus continuing their long, methodical, drive to points and to run time off of the clock.

Hardly an amazing coaching job. Rather, the Giants played to survive the game (by keeping Kelly off of the field), and the Bills offense did not adapt to the defensive scheme.

Thankfully, it is just an opinion.

As I already mentioned, the only poor coaching was when the Giants were in a 7 defensive back defense, and we kept trying to throw. And I think that had more to do with Kelly than with Marv. It was poor adapting on the Bills part.

Other than that, I can remember atleast 3 big plays where the defense forgot how to tackle, and allowed the G-Men to convert on 3rd and 17, etc, thus continuing their long, methodical, drive to points and to run time off of the clock.

Hardly an amazing coaching job. Rather, the Giants played to survive the game (by keeping Kelly off of the field), and the Bills offense did not adapt to the defensive scheme.

I'm sorry was Kelly HC or Marv?

I'm sorry was Kelly HC or Marv?

Poor question.

The offense was entirely based on a hurry-up, quick tempo, attacking offense that had a set number of plays designed into it. The QB was the chief driver of the offense on game day, except for in the red zone.

Kelly ran the offense on the field.

i still have a lot of respect for Marv. he was an incredible coach who was able to get the best out of talented football players and treat them like men first and foremost. it just so happened that some of those "men" reverted back to their immature college days, at the worst possible time. i have always held Kelly responsible for this. i know that it is childish but i had to blame someone. why couldn't he have waited to party all night.....WITH the Lombardi Trophy. :worthy: