more on Schobel

Can we finally just admit that Aaron Schobel's BS ruse about retiring was nothing but a selfish attempt to be traded because he didn't want to put in the work to become a 3 - 4 LB and he was tired of the Bills?

What a kitty.

Absolutely. Well said. Thank you for your perspective.

What other angle to this can there possibly be?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we finally just admit that Aaron Schobel's BS ruse about retiring was nothing but a selfish attempt to be traded because he didn't want to put in the work to become a 3 - 4 LB and he was tired of the Bills?

He screwed the Bills by threatening to retire and placing unrealistic demands upon them regarding shortened work weeks during the season as well as skipping OTAs and training camp. He screwed the Bills out of potentially trading him to a team and getting something in return because now teams are just waiting for his release. He screwed the Bills out of finding a viable PROVEN replacement for his skills or giving them time to change strategies BEFORE the draft.

This guy is a selfish prick who didn't have the stones to ask for a trade and be judged in the court of public opinion for jumping ship. Instead he orchestrated the situation such that he destroyed any trade value he had leaving the Bills high and dry. He was an up and down but often GREAT player. Unlike the Peters whiners, I won't question his skills and his probowl appearances because I don't like how he handled his business OFF the field. I will even give him credit for not pulling a complete Haynesworth by also taking the bonus money he could have gotten earlier in the year. Still this guy gave us the shaft. He doesn't have gold teeth and dread locks so people will probably give him a pass but he dorked us over pretty good.

Apparently his supposed retirement and wanting to stay in Houston was all BS if he is willing to talk to any team other than the Texans. If that really is the case this guy hid behind his family as the excuse for why he wanted out of Buffalo. What a kitty.

Precedent was set by Clements and Peters. If one plays well, they can go. And, we have a 92 year old man calling the shots with the bottom line being how much money he makes. Winning games is less important.

But again, we will get through this as well because we are the best fans in America.

Precedent was set by Clements and Peters. If one plays well, they can go. And, we have a 92 year old man calling the shots with the bottom line being how much money he makes. Winning games is less important.

But again, we will get through this as well because we are the best fans in America.

Uh, when did the Schobel thing become a money issue? Or was he holding out for more money but didn't tell anyone but you? I appreciate you hate Ralph but please at least attempt to maintain some logic when harping on the old goat.

PTR

Uh, when did the Schobel thing become a money issue? Or was he holding out for more money but didn't tell anyone but you? I appreciate you hate Ralph but please at least attempt to maintain some logic when harping on the old goat.

PTR

It's not unreasonable to think there's a correlation between the Spiller negotiations and the decision to cut ties with Schobel. Ralph is going to have to come up with $20 million in guarantees and about $7 million per year to pay Spiller. Saving $8 million could go a long way to end the impasse.

Moreover, one could make the argument that they never intended to pay Schobel the $8 million and only made the decision public once he started looking for housing in WNY. It did seem strange that this was decided just as he seemed likely to play for the first time since January and was told he'd be released if showed up at St John Fisher (per JW).

It's not unreasonable to think there's a correlation between the Spiller negotiations and the decision to cut ties with Schobel. Ralph is going to have to come up with $20 million in guarantees and about $7 million per year to pay Spiller. Saving $8 million could go a long way to end the impasse.

Moreover, one could make the argument that they never intended to pay Schobel the $8 million and only made the decision public once he started looking for housing in WNY. It did seem strange that this was decided just as he seemed likely to play for the first time since January and was told he'd be released if showed up at St John Fisher (per JW).

Thanks, but you are wasting your time with Promo. Good guy, but somewhere along the line he turned into an unconditional pom pom vaving cheerleader for anything the Bills front office does, losses notwithstanding.

So you're guessing, huh?

I read where he said he wasn't going to do that and put the Bills on the spot, but both sides have been telling obvious lies so what would stop him from doing that. He said he is interested in the Texans, but they have enough DEs, so unless they have an injury, they aren't interested in him. He could pull what Favre did in Green Bay, but in this case, the Bills would probably keep him.

I was mostly referring to the person saying nix holds ALL the cards. Really if schobel wanted to walk into camp in two weeks, he wouldnt know the position and would be getting paid 8 million to sit on the bench? start at a position he doesnt know?

We would be forced to release him at that point. If he wont be ready to play, and would be making 8million, theres no alternative.

Thanks, but you are wasting your time with Promo. Good guy, but somewhere along the line he turned into an unconditional pom pom vaving cheerleader for anything the Bills front office does, losses notwithstanding.

Then I ask in all sincerity....why are you still here? If this team is so evil at the top and incompetent on down, why hang out and torture yourself. It's almost like you enjoy it.

PTR

I don't have an issue with Schobel wanting to play for another team. The guy has been very loyal for Buffalo for 9 seasons. I want the guy to try and play 1 more year for us but if he wants to move on I think we have to just let him go. BUT we need to try and trade him and work something out between the two parties so that 1- Schobel gets to play for a good team and gets a legit chance to win. 2- Schobel plays for a team outside out division and that we control his landing spot 3- So that we get something back in return even if its only a late round pick.

The best way would be to make it so that Schobel works out a renegotiation of his deal with the Texans (Lets say he takes less about the same amount of money he would have signed for if he was released) and then the Bills trade him to the Texans for a 6th or 7th round pick. We get something for him as well as controlling were he goes and the Texans and Schobel get what they want as well.

Spiller has nothing to do with Schobel. And Clements and Peters had less to do with their salary than it did their worth. Clements proved to not be worth what the 49'ers gave him. And Peters didn't proven to be worth what the Eagles gave up for him last year.

:blink:

The one thing that disproves the Schobel thing is about money is the fact that the Bills would likely have welcomed him back with open arms and paid him what he is due. If it was about money why wouldn't they have just outright released him instead of just holding on to his rights if he wanted to come back and play.

If they wanted to get value for him in a trade why not open up trade talks with another team a lot sooner then the opening of camp? I just don't think this is about money yeah the Bills make a lot of penny smart dollar stupid moves but this isn't one of them either Schobel communicated to them wrong or this wasn't at all the Bills fault.

I have made my take on Schobel clear get what you can for him and make sure he stays the hell away from the other teams in our division.

Wow. Typical. So Aaron Schobel is only at fault because he is following the blue print set for him by Clements and Peters? They were young guys that had emerged as stars and weren't being compensated equal to their market value. Clements I absolutely believed should have been traded as I thought he was WAY WAY over priced. Peters deserved the money he got. Instead of being compensated and being a home grown hero he became a supposedly lazy greedy villain who, oh by the way, made the pro bowl YET AGAIN! I might have played into your hands but lets not shift the focus from Schobel.

Aaron Schobel's situation, like I said, has nothing to do with money imo. He is trying for the Allan Haynesworth/Brett Favre combo. He doesn't want to switch to a 3 - 4 defense and he used the threat of retirement to try to dictate his terms to get EXTRA special treatment or get moved to another team. Part of me can't blame a guy for using the leverage he has. I have a suspicion, but I can't determine with 100% certainty, why the guy gets a pass from some who want to make excuses and don't call it what it is. For shame! Sometimes when I think about the possible reasons for why this guy gets a pass and others are vilified I lose some faith in human nature.

Stop making excuses. He rooked us.

Then I ask in all sincerity....why are you still here? If this team is so evil at the top and incompetent on down, why hang out and torture yourself. It's almost like you enjoy it.

PTR

Ralph has done some TRULY TRULY GREAT GREAT THINGS for the NFL. But his old school out dated negotiation style and approach is only over shadowed by the crypt keeper Al Davis. For some reason that guy pays rookies WAY too much money and doesn't compensate veterans like Richard Seymour. Do you guys remember the issues he and Bruce Smith had over the years? It wasn't all flowers and butterflies. Screw anyone who says different but Bruce Smith was the best sack artist to ever play the game. He made defense fun to watch. He came up with game changing plays on queue.

So why do we hang around?..."On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero". Sounds terrible and morbid I know. I'm a bastard but without question the Bills negotiating tactics will be modernized at some point.

I have a suspicion but I can't determine with 100% certainty why the guy gets a pass from some who want to make excuses and call it what it is. For shame! Sometimes when I think about the possible reasons for why this guy gets a pass and others are vilified I lose some faith in human nature.

Crying racism when it isn't warranted only creates a backlash from many folks who wouldn't normally view an issue through a racial or cultural lens.

You are part of the problem.

I say let him wither on the vine. He was a hard working player during a horrible period in Bills history, but he signed a contract and to quote the immortal Hulk Hogan "in life, you cut your own deals". He ought to honor his commitment or retire, but if he wants to be traded, this was a lame-ass way of doing it and it should not be rewarded.