Bills challenged to overcome losing legacy

I think it is even bigger than the Bills in Buffalo. It is a depressed city. The expectations of the politicians, the economy, and our sports teams are awesomely low. I moved here a few years ago, and everyone seemed depressed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is even bigger than the Bills in Buffalo. It is a depressed city. The expectations of the politicians, the economy, and our sports teams are awesomely low. I moved here a few years ago, and everyone seemed depressed.

trust me, you don't get this town. depression is another name for being perennially drunk.

jw

Fair? yes. Depressingly fair.

Personally, I think it would have been a better read had it ended with a little more optimism regarding the new team. Of course, I have no idea how you could have done that without some seriously "creative" journalism.

OOPS! I forgot, great article but I agree with those who say Smerlas was a bad example.

JW - I agree with the above. I was in media and now in government and politics and I can tell you first hand what a bag of wind and crap Freddy is. I just can't stand the guy.

Belichick didn't go right from Cleveland to New England though. He was Parcells' Defensive Coordinator with the Patriots and then was DC/Assistant Coach with the rebuilt Jets teams. When Parcells retired the Jets wanted to keep Belichick as head coach, and even announced he would be the coach until Belichick backed out for the Patriots job. Belichick had rebuilt his reputation as a top coordinator long before he got another Head Coaching job. Gailey hasn't done that.

I'm not being critical of the Gailey hire either. I like him. I'm just saying it's a very different situation.

Me too. However, Gailey's not the hayseed that many want to portray him as - after listening only to his southern drawl.

From The Team's website bio:

Gailey also has four stints as offensive coordinator in the NFL with Denver (1989-90), Pittsburgh (1996-97), Miami (2000-01) and Kansas City (2008).

In total, he has made playoff appearances in 11 of his 15 seasons in NFL coaching. His resume also boasts four Super Bowl berths, including one with Pittsburgh (XXX) and three with Denver (XXI, XXII and XXIV).

He was also the OC of Dieami in 2000 & 2001 when they went 11- 5 each year.

Granted, he did not win a SB and Billacheat won two with Parcells in NY prior to his gig as HC in Cleveland (4 losing seasons).

One can not argue however, that BB's was more successful as a HC in Cleveland than Chan was in Dallas. He did have a much more patient (and distracted) owner though.

" :ph34r: " was 36-44 in 5 years in Cleveland. Chan was 18-14 in two years in Dullass.

my piece from camp today.

Bills challenged to overcome losing legacy

jw

J.W. one thing that most sports writers and pigskin pundits completely overlook is the change that happened last season when Jauron was shown the door. Perry Fewell gave the message loudly and clearly that "Camp Dick" was over, and the team - most of whom are still on the roster - responded very well to that approach. Had DJ remained as HC the team might have lost all the remaining games with the way he had them playing.

Chan's got a kind of football-tough attitude in buckets. It oozes from him. He also has a fine mind for the O side of the game. DJ continually abused the Offense with benign neglect. I like the Doughboy, but Alex had no business being the OC last year. None. Zippo. Zero. Zilch. Nadda.

Like Jackson said as you quoted him, "For us to get respect, we have to go out and make the people respect us. The only way to change that is to go out and win ball games."

I can't wait. Thanks for the article. Go Bills!

I liked the piece JW, but please avoid using Smerlas for comment in future articles, for your own journalistic integrety. The guy is a fat windbag who has had a thing against the Bills since he was pushed out. Not credible IMO.

Great article JW! But, now I don't want to pick nits, or seem rude, but, cuz I am sure nobody else will mention it, why did you talk to Fred Smerlas? :devil:

i talked to 3-4 members of the old guard at Kelly's tournament, several of whom -- which might surprise you -- provided a similar response, though not as blunt as Smerlas.

of course, as noted above, there are some former Bills who, because of their current connections to the team, are relatively handcuffed from being overly critical of the team.

jw

i talked to 3-4 members of the old guard at Kelly's tournament, several of whom -- which might surprise you -- provided a similar response, though not as blunt as Smerlas.

of course, as noted above, there are some former Bills who, because of their current connections to the team, are relatively handcuffed from being overly critical of the team.

jw

I guess the point (which I assume you've grown tired of hearing) is, criticism from someone other than Smerlas may actually seem legit, therefore carry some weight with us "fans in the know". (Harrumph!)

From Smerlas it seems like the same ol' Bills bashing he always seems to blather.

i appreciate the comments on Smerlas, and understand where many of you are coming from.

in my opinion, i know that he is a wannabe politician and hoping to one day run back in Buffalo, and if he wants to be a straight-shooter (that's his intention), well then let it be so.

also, and more important in my thoughts, his perspective -- if you want to call it that -- was relatively fresh and different from some of the players, whom i respect, but are quite close to the team and, to some degree, barred from making negative comments, especially to the degree of Smerlas.

jw

You make a very sharp observation that the organization doesn't take kindly to criticism (valid or not) from people formerly associated with the team. If someone is so bold as to state the obvious that this organization has a long term stench of mediocrity then the person will be exiled from the organization.

This franchise has a good reason to be insecure over its pathetic record. Based on its laughable record it has well earned its inferiority complex. Maybe, just maybe, if there were more objective commentary concerning the chaotic operation of this dysfunctional franchise there might be a greater incentive to be more committed to being competitive and entertaining.

In the long run the truth has a cleansing affect. On the other side of the coin, in the long run, an acceptance of delusion is corrosive and self defeating.