Jacksonville sells naming rights to their stadium

Why aren't the Bills looking to do this? Or are they and can't find a suitor? For a team that complains about its financial viability, this seems like a no-brainer to me. The Jags are making $3 million in the first year of the deal. I respect Ralph Wilson for everything he has done for the Bills, but the name of the stadium isn't as important as keeping the team in town.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jaguar...h-EverBank.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also wondered why Ralph never did this, but my guess is that he's just a traditionalist. I do NOT think this makes the difference between the Bills staying in WNY and not, though.

It doesn't. At least not for Ralph. A new owner, possibly.

The Bills do not own the naming rights to the stadium, if I recall correctly. I believe the County owns the rights. It was Erie County that decided to name the stadium Ralph Wilson, I believe.

I've also wondered why Ralph never did this, but my guess is that he's just a traditionalist. I do NOT think this makes the difference between the Bills staying in WNY and not, though.

agree!.. what is 3 million when you compare it to the realities of a "make or break" scenerio?. it is small potatoes really, just something to give the chicken littles of the world something to fret about! i still maintain that as long as we keep up the support , the bills will not go anywhere , if only because there is no place else to go.

Ralph (or the county) was the first to do this if my memory is correct. Ever hear of Rich Stadium?

"In 2009, Erie County will set aside $4.2 million for operating and game-day expenses. It was $3.9 million last year. It will also continue funds for stadium upgrades: $2.9 million for this year.

For the eight games to be played in Orchard Park, that equates to about $920,000 a game from Erie County taxpayers - for a team that last reached the playoffs in 1999, the second season under the team's current lease. The lease expires after the 2012 season."

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/BuffaloBills/index.htm

Does this change anything?

I guess they are selling the naming rights since they can't sell tickets.

Actually the Jax plan to get the highest bidder is to auction off the naming rights but the company that purchases them gets to name the stadium after their main competitor who then gets saddled with weekly association with a stadium which mostly consists of tarped off seats rather than fans.

Opponents prepare for games by turning their speakers to -11 and opponents have to adjust to playing in total silence.

Ralph (or the county) was the first to do this if my memory is correct. Ever hear of Rich Stadium?

I believe it was the county. From what I have heard, Ralph never like that it was named for an outside entity. I wish someone here had the full scoop.

I believe it was the county. From what I have heard, Ralph never like that it was named for an outside entity. I wish someone here had the full scoop.

Link

Not definitive at all, but the best I could find mentions the Bills selling the naming rights.

Too bad we don't have an official Team Historian on board.

Quickly...someone light the KRC Signal!

Link

Not definitive at all, but the best I could find mentions the Bills selling the naming rights.

Too bad we don't have an official Team Historian on board.

Quickly...someone light the KRC Signal!

If I'm not mistaken (and my memory isnt what it used to be) I think after the Rich naming rights expired, the stadium was named Bills Stadium for 1 year (sort of as a place holder), then was open to other suggestions. Ralph didnt want to sell to a corporation and someone (maybe the county as was suggested) recommended RWS in honor of him, of which Ralph was flattered. Something like that.

The Bills do not own the naming rights to the stadium, if I recall correctly. I believe the County owns the rights. It was Erie County that decided to name the stadium Ralph Wilson, I believe.

You are correct that Erie County decided to name the stadium the Ralph. As it presently stands the owner controls the naming rights. He has the right to sell the naming rights and receive payment for it. He prefers not to. He very much likes the stadium named after himself, the same stadium he didn't pay a penny for.

In my view Erie County should have retained the naming rights to the stadium and use the proceeds to defray the upkeep costs. Or instead of naming the stadium after the owner the stadium should have been named after Bob Kalsu, a former offensive lineman who died in the Viet Nam war.