Sean Peyton...what if?

Link to book exerpt

After my third season in Dallas with Parcells, I felt like I knew the modern canons of football. I had confidence in my own coaching abilities. I had firm thoughts on how to win. I believed I was ready to coach my own NFL team. Thankfully, some other people agreed. Though I’d stepped back from the Al Davis offer in Oakland two years earlier, now the time seemed right. Several teams were looking for new head coaches in early 2006. I’d flown up to Green Bay and had a terrific interview with the Packers. That’s a great organization—a team I had followed since I was a kid. I felt optimistic about that possibility and was expecting to hear something soon. The Buffalo Bills had expressed interest in me as well. I’d also had a nice-to-meet-you dinner with Mickey in San Antonio. Now, with this trip to New Orleans, that preliminary conversation was being elevated to a formal interview.

What if we picked Tom Brady.. What if we picked Ray Lewis... Whats the point of playing this game?

Bingo!

He didn't even sound interested. The book mentions, and I paraphrase, "Oh, by the way, Buffalo expressed interest, but that Packers job, wow!"

Thanks for posting, Beerball.

Really good excerpt.

I think (I'm guessing) Payton was dismissive of Buffalo at least partly because Buffalo wasn't really too interested in Payton.

Remember that we had just fired Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey and the belief was that the Bills would hire a Head Coach with prior Head Coaching experience. As I recall, Jauron and Mike Sherman were the finalists back in 2006.

In reading the excerpt it would be hard to believe that Payton would have Buffalo lower on his list than Katrina-ravaged New Orleans…if the Bills were actually considering him. I don't think they were. Thus Payton's comments on Buffalo.

The other thought I had while reading the excerpt regards Jerry Jones.

Partly because his team beat our beloved Bills twice in Super Bowls, partly because he fired Tom Landry, Gil Brandt, Tex Schramm, partly because of his facelifts and constant preening for the cameras and over-involvement in his football team (the meddlesome owner), I've never really liked the guy.

But over the past few years, I've seen where Jones has some redeeming qualities. He's improved greatly as a GM and does a great job of running the Cowboys. Obviously he's an outstanding businessman. Also, I've seen a few moments in the "Hard Knocks" series which put him in an interesting light. And finally, I really love what he told Sean Payton as Payton was walking out the door.

I've worked for people like Jones…in fact I'm working for one now. He's an egotist, demanding, drives his people hard, but also, gives credit where it's due, recognizes the talents in people, and lets people do their jobs. He believes in enjoying work and striving for excellence. He's not petty, spiteful, or vindictive. He doesn't hold a grudge. He would not begrudge a man leaving to go elsewhere to seek his own destiny. He would re-hire someone he'd previously fired. He would have greater respect for a man seeking his own greatness than he would a loyal "yes man." He admits his mistakes.

On the occasion of George Steinbrenner's passing, it seems like Jones and Steinbrenner are two of a kind.

As much as there is to dislike about each man, there is also lots to admire.

Really good excerpt.

I think (I'm guessing) Payton was dismissive of Buffalo at least partly because Buffalo wasn't really too interested in Payton.

Remember that we had just fired Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey and the belief was that the Bills would hire a Head Coach with prior Head Coaching experience. As I recall, Jauron and Mike Sherman were the finalists back in 2006.

In reading the excerpt it would be hard to believe that Payton would have Buffalo lower on his list than Katrina-ravaged New Orleans…if the Bills were actually considering him. I don't think they were. Thus Payton's comments on Buffalo.

Partly because his team beat our beloved Bills twice in Super Bowls, partly because he fired Tom Landry, Gil Brandt, Tex Schramm, partly because of his facelifts and constant preening for the cameras and over-involvement in his football team (the meddlesome owner), I've never really liked the guy.

But over the past few years, I've seen where Jones has some redeeming qualities. He's improved greatly as a GM and does a great job of running the Cowboys. Obviously he's an outstanding businessman. Also, I've seen a few moments in the "Hard Knocks" series which put him in an interesting light. And finally, I really love what he told Sean Payton as Payton was walking out the door.

I've worked for people like Jones…in fact I'm working for one now. He's an egotist, demanding, drives his people hard, but also, gives credit where it's due, recognizes the talents in people, and lets people do their jobs. He believes in enjoying work and striving for excellence. He's not petty, spiteful, or vindictive. He doesn't hold a grudge. He would not begrudge a man leaving to go elsewhere to seek his own destiny. He would re-hire someone he'd previously fired. He would have greater respect for a man seeking his own greatness than he would a loyal "yes man." He admits his mistakes.

On the occasion of George Steinbrenner's passing, it seems like Jones and Steinbrenner are two of a kind.

Great post.

Bingo!

He didn't even sound interested. The book mentions, and I paraphrase, "Oh, by the way, Buffalo expressed interest, but that Packers job, wow!"

That's your assumption. You're adding meaning. That's not there in what he wrote.

I think that Mularky and Gregg Williams are both as good of coaches as Payton. In a good situation a coach can do very well. However, very few coaches are able to make a good situation. Payton is no different and I believe his career will follow the path of John Fox.

I think that Mularky and Gregg Williams are both as good of coaches as Payton. In a good situation a coach can do very well. However, very few coaches are able to make a good situation. Payton is no different and I believe his career will follow the path of John Fox.

Disagree about Williams but I agree about Mularkey. Since we all love the blame the coaches for everything, people were quick to bash Mularkey. But he is a damn good coordinator who has only failed with 2 QBs: JP Losman and Joey Harrington. Losman destroyed Mularkey's career.

I completely disagree, Payton is in a class by himself as he is very innovative in the N.O. offense. He thinks up new plays and designs his offense to continually change so it isn't predictable.

Granted, Drew Brees is a huge part of that passing offense, but I think Payton would be successful with almost any decent top QB. I also think he could find and coach up another QB to the level of play that we see from Brees.

Both Mularkey and Williams had their shot at HC and stunk it up because they made bad decisions, lets not forget who removed Rusty Jones as S&C trainer and replaced him Mr constant injuries. Personally, I would have liked to see Mularkey stay in Buffalo and run his offense without TD looking over his shoulder and micro managing his every move, who knows what he could have accomplished.

Still, I feel both men might just get another shot at becoming head coaches again, I simply just don't see the innovation and wherewithal to run an entire team the way Sean Payton has shown.

Williams and Mularky will likely never be HCs again. They aren't mentally cut out for it.

Payton is a bit of a d-bag, but he did turn around the program in NO. Sure, he had Brees (a QB who was dumped in SD for a rookie), but he got won the SB after a couple of mediocre/crappy seasons. He's aggressive and somewhat of an innovator. Not sure which HC past (20 years) or present would fit that description.

Really good excerpt.

Jones also casually tosses out lies about his former coaches.

Jones has more in common with Dan Snyder than George Steinbrenner.