LaMarr Woodley vs. Poz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How sad Levy traded up for Poz when they could have stayed where they were and drafted Woodley. Woodley is everything Poz isn't. The Steelers stay put, don't waste draft picks, get the better player, and pay him less.

The better comparison is Woodley to Maybin. Woodley probably has already been more productive as a pass rusher than Maybin will ever be.

The better comparison is Woodley to Maybin. Woodley probably has already been more productive as a pass rusher than Maybin will ever be.

Woodley is the comparison to Poz. Maybin and Orakpo will also forever be linked. We really screwed the pooch on Orakpo. Poz was just a waste of resources. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that Poz is better than London Fletcher the guy he replaced? Fletcher is more durable and is still getting it done better than the "fan favorite" Poz.

How sad Levy traded up for Poz when they could have stayed where they were and drafted Woodley. Woodley is everything Poz isn't. The Steelers stay put, don't waste draft picks, get the better player, and pay him less.

What a dumb comparison. Poz has been a 4-3 MLB and Woodley is a 3-4 OLB. Woodley is mainly a pass rusher who plays for one of the greatest DCs and most aggresive defenses in the NFL. Poz played in a 4-3 Cover 2. Stupid comparison but given the source, I'm not surprised.

Woodley is the comparison to Poz. Maybin and Orakpo will also forever be linked. We really screwed the pooch on Orakpo. Poz was just a waste of resources. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that Poz is better than London Fletcher the guy he replaced? Fletcher is more durable and is still getting it done better than the "fan favorite" Poz.

Fletcher is clearly better. I felt that Fletcher would begin to show age over the time he has been with the Redskins...he hasn't. Poz is a bubble player in my book but I only judge by what I see on the field. Poz is a fan favorite and fans cut him a lot of slack.

I'm some what amazed by the amount of fans that say trade Whitner or trade Lynch but no one says trade Poz and I wouldn't hesitate to shop Poz...I think he is soft when it comes to the physical contact. I thought DiGeorgio gave us more bang for the buck.

But I'm optimistic for this season...Lets see how he adapts to the 3-4

I'd say poz is a solid second round pick. He isnt a natural like Ray Lewis Or Brian Urlacher, but he tackles and covers well, and doesnt make stupid mistakes. At any rate, he shouldnt be a whipping boy. He isnt what is wrong with the bills, unless you consider that we inexplicably sold Fletcher up the river for him. Poz could improve at the point of attack, but he was trying to fit into a small linebacker system, and he isnt a small linebacker.

Woodley is a good pick and a good fit for the team. He is a much different player than Posluszny. He is a defensive end pressed into rush end service.

It's funny that we have 2 groups of fans regarding Poz. We have people who completely overrated him as a 2nd round draft pick and set up unreal expectations for him. Then we have another group that tries to find ways to bash him.

Poz has missed games with a broken arm. However, he is turning into a very solid young LB who should be even better in a 3-4. And I love Fletcher but you're comparing apples to apples. Fletcher is in his 13th year, Poz is entering his 4th after essentially missing an entire year. Also, Fletcher plays behind a guy who signed the richest defensive contract in history at DT. I'm sure Poz would look a lot better behind Fat Albert too.

Why fans try hard to hate on the few good players we have is beyond me. Poz is a very solid and improving LB.

What a dumb comparison. Poz has been a 4-3 MLB and Woodley is a 3-4 OLB. Woodley is mainly a pass rusher who plays for one of the greatest DCs and most aggresive defenses in the NFL. Poz played in a 4-3 Cover 2. Stupid comparison but given the source, I'm not surprised.

C'mon Biscuit. It's not the perfect comparison but it's not that bad.

2 34 Buffalo Bills Paul Posluszny LB Penn State Big Ten from Detroit [17]

2 35 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Arron Sears G Tennessee SEC

2 36 Philadelphia Eagles Kevin Kolb QB Houston C-USA from Cleveland via Dallas [12][14]

2 37 San Diego Chargers Eric Weddle S Utah MWC from Washington via Chicago and New York Jets [18]

2 38 Oakland Raiders Zach Miller TE Arizona State Pac-10 from Arizona [16]

2 39 Atlanta Falcons Justin Blalock G Texas Big 12 from Houston [9]

2 40 Miami Dolphins John Beck QB BYU MWC

2 41 Atlanta Falcons Chris Houston CB Arkansas SEC from Minnesota [19]

2 42 Indianapolis Colts Tony Ugoh OT Arkansas SEC from San Francisco [20]

2 43 Detroit Lions Drew Stanton QB Michigan State Big Ten from Buffalo [17]

2 44 Minnesota Vikings Sidney Rice† WR South Carolina SEC from Atlanta [19]

2 45 Carolina Panthers Dwayne Jarrett WR USC Pac-10

2 46 Pittsburgh Steelers LaMarr Woodley† DE Michigan Big Ten

2 47 New York Jets David Harris LB Michigan Big Ten from Green Bay [21]

2 48 Jacksonville Jaguars Justin Durant LB Hampton MEAC

Yes, they play somewhat different positions but also the same position, if that makes any sense. Also, they were drafted within 12 picks of each other.

The main thing to me is this.

Nix and Whaley preach that you take the best player available (you can't have too many good players, even if you're stacked at that one position e.g.-running back). In the above 2007 draft, Pittsburgh drafted Timmons and Woodley even though linebacker was not perceived as an area of need for them.

Nix and Whaley also preach that you don't draft based on need or you never solve the problem (because you get a guy who isn't good enough to solve the need problem).

I can't see the new football department committing the same errors as the former football department.

2 36 Philadelphia Eagles Kevin Kolb QB Houston C-USA from Cleveland via Dallas [12][14]

2 37 San Diego Chargers Eric Weddle S Utah MWC from Washington via Chicago and New York Jets [18]

2 45 Carolina Panthers Dwayne Jarrett WR USC Pac-10

2 46 Pittsburgh Steelers LaMarr Woodley† DE Michigan Big Ten

Yes, they play somewhat different positions but also the same position, if that makes any sense. Also, they were drafted within 12 picks of each other.

Nix and Whaley preach that you take the best player available (you can't have too many good players, even if you're stacked at that one position e.g.-running back). In the above 2007 draft, Pittsburgh drafted Timmons and Woodley even though linebacker was not perceived as an area of need for them.

Nix and Whaley also preach that you don't draft based on need or you never solve the problem (because you get a guy who isn't good enough to solve the need problem).

I can't see the new football department committing the same errors as the former football department.

Pittsburgh's and our defense the past 3 years are entirely different universes. And comparing a MLB in a 4-3, non-attack defense to a 3-4 OLb makes no sense IMO. They play entirely different games.

Poz has improved every season. Additionally, Pittsburgh's defense makes players. How many times did a big name FA walk from Pittsburgh (Greene, Kirkland, Chad Brown, Porter) and get replaced by a no name like an UDFA, cut player like James Harrison? Pittsburgh defensive schemes makes every player better.

2 45 Carolina Panthers Dwayne Jarrett WR USC Pac-10 ]2 46 Pittsburgh Steelers LaMarr Woodley† DE Michigan Big Ten

:devil:

they could have stayed put and drafted David Harris

but he's not white either

Fletcher is clearly better. I felt that Fletcher would begin to show age over the time he has been with the Redskins...he hasn't. Poz is a bubble player in my book but I only judge by what I see on the field. Poz is a fan favorite and fans cut him a lot of slack.

I'm some what amazed by the amount of fans that say trade Whitner or trade Lynch but no one says trade Poz and I wouldn't hesitate to shop Poz...I think he is soft when it comes to the physical contact. I thought DiGeorgio gave us more bang for the buck.

But I'm optimistic for this season...Lets see how he adapts to the 3-4

Fletcher wanted a big contract and got it with the Redskins. Poz comes in with a rookie contract. The fact that we have not had decent DTs who can plug the gaps and let the MLBs make plays also has something to do with it. The main issue with Poz has been his durability. For a player that was Mr. Muscle in college to have missed significant times in two of his four seasons is not good.

they could have stayed put and drafted David Harris

but he's not white either

Again, a player in an entirely different defense (Harris is a 3-4 ILB in a heavy blitzing defense) but for comparison sakes:

Harris - 43 games, 329 tackles (224 solo) for an average of 7.65 (5.2 solo)/ game, 11.5 sacks (the Jets blitz their LBs way more), 7 pass defended, 2 INTs, & 4 FF. http://www.nfl.com/players/davidharris/profile?id=HAR362681

Poz - 31 games, 247 tackles (192 solo) for an average of 7.96 (6.2 solo)/ game, 1 sack, 10 pass defended, 4 INTs, & 4 FFs. http://www.nfl.com/players/paulposluszny/p...le?id=POS250036

But let's trash every Bill!!!

Again, a player in an entirely different defense (Harris is a 3-4 ILB in a heavy blitzing defense) but for comparison sakes:

Harris - 43 games, 329 tackles (224 solo) for an average of 7.65 (5.2 solo)/ game, 11.5 sacks (the Jets blitz their LBs way more), 7 pass defended, 2 INTs, & 4 FF. http://www.nfl.com/players/davidharris/profile?id=HAR362681

Poz - 31 games, 247 tackles (192 solo) for an average of 7.96 (6.2 solo)/ game, 1 sack, 10 pass defended, 4 INTs, & 4 FFs. http://www.nfl.com/players/paulposluszny/p...le?id=POS250036

But let's trash every Bill!!!

Since fans agree that its such a great idea to build through the draft, your analysis should also include the production from the that 3rd round pick that we foolishly gave away to move up to get POZ instead of staying put and drafting Harris or Woodley.

Let's B word and complain about a choice made three years ago by guys who don't even run the team anymore and let's compare that choice to someone in an entirely different system playing a different position.

Man the off-season is slow.