Whaley: The Pittsburgh Model and no Big-Name FAs

This article speaks directly to those who have complained about not picking up guys like Gaither or McNeill. They're simply not going that way. They have a plan, and the plan is to build through the draft.

“I think it’s very similar,” Whaley said. “I think it’s one of those things where there’s an emphasis on building through the draft and establishing a foundation. That’s how you can consistently compete for championships. I see that that’s what we’re doing here. We’re not trying to get a quick fix in free agency, not over drafting to force a square peg in a round hole when we can just get the best player available. You can never have too many good players even at one position.

That also, with his reference to avoiding the quick fix, is yet another - very sub rosa as always - admission that we're rebuilding and that it's going to take a while.

And here's where he points out his FA strategy:

“I just see the blueprint being laid here that I’m comfortable with and used to and have subscribed to for the last 11 years,” he said. “Go out and get solid contributing veterans that can start and will be here for most of their contracts and draft the best players available. And that’s the recipe that once I heard that from Buddy and Chan I signed on and they haven’t deviated from that plan since they got here." He compares it to Pittsburgh's methods and makes it clear that it's because Buffalo was going in the same direction that he came to Buffalo.

There you have it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...c0-c7ca9a662dd5

I love Gaither, but it's obvious that we're not going to get him or anyone like him. We're going to hope that one of our guys, Wang or Bell, will grow into the position, and if that doesn't happen, we'll draft someone else. And with this method, we're likely to draft high next year, so we should have a shot at some good players next year.

No more "We should get [insert high-ticket FA's name here] threads, hunh?

Too much to expect, I guess.

The only way you find out about young players is to let them play. If a team lets a player go, there is probably a good reason for it. It is easier to draft guys than overspend for other teams' players.

The best part of the new front office is the 2 guys at the top (Nix and Whaley) come from 2 of the best drafting and run franchises in the NFL.

With what Wailey said it seems like the Bills are finally in rebuilding mode instead of winning right now. Which is refreshing and long overdue.

I like the plan if they stick to their word and so far they have. Lets just say Bell pans out to be an average or better than average this year. Now next year they can focus on what they need, and the QB class looks strong for next year.

I like it.

It's hard to disagree with this mindset. Works pretty much every time.

"I think it’s one of those things where there’s an emphasis on building through the draft and establishing a foundation. That’s how you can consistently compete for championships."

This article speaks directly to those who have complained about not picking up guys like Gaither or McNeill. They're simply not going that way. They have a plan, and the plan is to build through the draft.

“I think it’s very similar,” Whaley said. “I think it’s one of those things where there’s an emphasis on building through the draft and establishing a foundation. That’s how you can consistently compete for championships. I see that that’s what we’re doing here. We’re not trying to get a quick fix in free agency, not over drafting to force a square peg in a round hole when we can just get the best player available. You can never have too many good players even at one position.

That also, with his reference to avoiding the quick fix, is yet another - very sub rosa as always - admission that we're rebuilding and that it's going to take a while.

And here's where he points out his FA strategy:

“I just see the blueprint being laid here that I’m comfortable with and used to and have subscribed to for the last 11 years,” he said. “Go out and get solid contributing veterans that can start and will be here for most of their contracts and draft the best players available. And that’s the recipe that once I heard that from Buddy and Chan I signed on and they haven’t deviated from that plan since they got here." He compares it to Pittsburgh's methods and makes it clear that it's because Buffalo was going in the same direction that he came to Buffalo.

There you have it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...c0-c7ca9a662dd5

I love Gaither, but it's obvious that we're not going to get him or anyone like him. We're going to hope that one of our guys, Wang or Bell, will grow into the position, and if that doesn't happen, we'll draft someone else. And with this method, we're likely to draft high next year, so we should have a shot at some good players next year.

No more "We should get [insert high-ticket FA's name here] threads, hunh?

Too much to expect, I guess.

actually i disagree with you gaither comment. a player like him is just the type of talent they want. the problem with him is his character and lack of a work ethic and IMO the price was to high for a player with his questionable work ethic.

It should be noted that San Diego's rebuilding took three seasons to become a playoff team. The Chargers were 5-11, 8-8, and 4-12 from 2001 to 2003. They made the playoffs with a 12-4 record in 2004, getting outstanding production from Brees and Tomlinson.

I'm not sure there are many fans who want to wait until the 2013 season to see a winner after 10 season minus the post-season. Building through the draft is a nice principle and all, but it doesn't mean using this method exclusively to put a team together.

It's hard to disagree with this mindset. Works pretty much every time.

"I think it’s one of those things where there’s an emphasis on building through the draft and establishing a foundation. That’s how you can consistently compete for championships."

When were we not building through the draft?

I'm not sure there are many fans who want to wait until the 2013 season to see a winner after 10 season minus the post-season. Building through the draft is a nice principle and all, but it doesn't mean using this method exclusively to put a team together.

I like your plan. Make bad decisions to appease the fan base. It is the gloried path to success.

It should be noted that San Diego's rebuilding took three seasons to become a playoff team. The Chargers were 5-11, 8-8, and 4-12 from 2001 to 2003. They made the playoffs with a 12-4 record in 2004, getting outstanding production from Brees and Tomlinson.

He didn't say building through the draft was exclusive, he mentioned signing veteran free agents that will play the can start and play the entire term of their contract. In other words stop signing guys to 5 year deals that end up playing 2 or 3 for you. In regards to the fans that don't want to wait until 2013, I'll submit they would have waited a lot longer than that if we hadn't changed our mindset to the Nix and Whaley philosophy.

I don't know how others feel about the Bills "arriving" in three years. I'd be good with it if I knew that we were headed to the playoffs by 2013.

I remember in 1986 when the Bills were still not a good team but you could see they were heading in the right direction. They only had four wins. The next year, 1987, they managed 7 wins. But it was obvious the team was on the threshold of excellence. There was lots of excitement and hope and the promise for the future was starting to come into focus.

Ditto with some of the Sabres teams we've watched over the years.

It's always exciting for me when I'm witnessing a good, up and coming team…even if they are still a few years away.

I'm a long suffering Bills fan (1968) but I am willing to be patient if I sense that they are building the team the right way.

Are you serious? I think what you mean is when did we not try to build through the draft. All boils down to knowing how to draft and evaluate. We'll see if this regime knows how to.

I think there are two distinct philosophies for the draft. I consider the 'best player available' as 'building' through the draft.

Desperately grasping at picks to try to make up for coaching deficiencies or fill holes is not 'building' anything.

Are you serious? I think what you mean is when did we not try to build through the draft. All boils down to knowing how to draft and evaluate. We'll see if this regime knows how to.

Exactly. Everyone has a plan until the players they draft/sign in FA don't live up to expectations. I will say this though, it seems like this FO can pick out "high character" players a lot better than prior regimes, and I like what they've done so far. But as fans I think we're closer to the 3 year rebuild than a one year turnaround because of the defensive scheme change and the subsequent players we've added there. In the defensive front seven, we could realistically end up with 4-5 (Torbor, Davis, Troupe, Carrington, Edwards) new starters for major parts of the season. I hope the offense gets the same treatment next year.

When were we not building through the draft?

Usually the way it works is the new guys come in and pledge their committment to building thru the draft, then when they don't draft well and lose, they try free agency, then when they cpntinue to lose they get fired.

It's nothing new.

Everyone wants to build thru the draft. The key is being good at drafting. The Bills have not been good at drafting and the college scouting personnel hasn't changed much from the Jauron era. They can talk about their plan all they want, but it's time for results.

Exactly. Everyone has a plan until the players they draft/sign in FA don't live up to expectations. I will say this though, it seems like this FO can pick out "high character" players a lot better than prior regimes, and I like what they've done so far. But as fans I think we're closer to the 3 year rebuild than a one year turnaround because of the defensive scheme change and the subsequent players we've added there. In the defensive front seven, we could realistically end up with 4-5 (Torbor, Davis, Troupe, Carrington, Edwards) new starters for major parts of the season. I hope the offense gets the same treatment next year.

Player character is overrated. Coaching is underrated. Good coaching has been making talented low-lifes into champions for as long as their have been championships to win. Whaley should know this. If Pittsburgh didn't draft extremely low character individuals Ben Roethlisberger and later Santonio Holmes they likely wouldn't have won either those two recent SB's.

Deal--if you promise no more "Nix is going to build the team through the draft" threads.

I never have and never will post a thread titled that. It would be like posting a thread saying "Red white and blue are the Bills colors." Duh. But those who do post threads like that - obviously from reading this very article - have a much much better point than those who post that we should pick up a big-ticket FA when the FO have made it obvious that they won't do that.

I wanted them to get Gaither. I was also pretty sure it wouldn't happen.